Gripes about the writing

[spoiler:7e037d00ee]When you blow up Megaton, your daddy knows about it and confronts you at the purifier. How does he know it? And shouldn´t everybody else know it too? Shouldn´t the BOS shoot you at sight and everyone else too?[/spoiler:7e037d00ee]

I just finished the quest "the american dream", and holy shit the story is bad. It's so bad it makes me feel like a worse person for playing this game.

Fallout 1/2 had better writing because of the depth of the characterisations and humour at times. The arrogant, classist, racist bitch in charge of Vault City really sounds like an arrogant,classist , racist bitch, no matter how hard you try to convince her to be 'nice'. YOu really feel like blowing her away.

The fact that so many quests you could finish without violence through a quite lengthy dialogue also helped immerse the player and flesh out the characters. Even the Slaver boss seemed like a half decent guy when you got to talk to him!

Fallout 3 has retarded obvious dialogue options and not much depth. A few lines on a couple pages and that's it for the most part. Nothing very funny, no different attitudes towards you based on intelligence. The fact that they even bothered to write a whole set of different dialogues if you were an uninteligent character in 1/2 completes the difference in competence.

Commiered said:
Fallout 3 has retarded obvious dialogue options and not much depth. A few lines on a couple pages and that's it for the most part. Nothing very funny, no different attitudes towards you based on intelligence. The fact that they even bothered to write a whole set of different dialogues if you were an uninteligent character in 1/2 completes the difference in competence.

Sometimes it doesn't even have that much, sometimes you get one line and it leaves you going "WTF" like you could have done or said so much more. You sit there feeling like you just missed out on something major by only having one dialogue option with such and such. Take Lucy West for example, after I saved her brother and brought her back the news, I had one option, and it was like she was relieved to know that her brother ate her family. I wanted to say so much more, but there just was no option to do so. Moriarty still says she's afraid of something, afraid of what? I know it was her brother, or at least that's what I am assuming, but they pulled it off very badly.

And in FO1 & 2, there was always an option of dialogue, that I would use in real life conversation. In FO3 I thought "Hey...which one I should choose?", where 3 of the otions are like being an asshole.

^ Well, I get most of the laughs in the game from the dialogue. From its stupidity, that is. Kinda like watching a Will Ferrell movie - bad humour, but so stupid that it makes you laugh.

Keep in mind the brother from Everybody Loves Raymond was in Fallout 1 so let's keep things fair.

BenRGamer said:
They had to voice every single line here. And voices like Malcolm McDowell and Liam Nieson aren't exactly cheap. Likely being paid for by line they couldn't afford all the lines they wanted from Eden or from Dad, it's likely.

They didn't have to voice every line in the game, there are plenty of characters who really didn't need to talk, but they still went through with it anyway.

Also, if they were actually worried about how much it cost to hire Malcolm McDowell (who did a good job by the way) and Liam Neeson (who did a crappy job), they wouldn't have hired them in the first place.

They could have easily gone with other less well-known yet talented voice actors, but instead decided to go with that old chestnut "Who doesn't want Liam Neeson to be your Dad?".

After he peaked with Darkman, not me Bethesda, not me.

In this day and age the voiced dialog is downright expected. You've got to account for that. Granted their dialog isn't great, but they did well enough with what they had to deal with. A bunch of people were just wanting a re-hashed 1 and 2, it sounds like...

BenRGamer said:
In this day and age the voiced dialog is downright expected. You've got to account for that.
So what?

BenRGamer said:
Granted their dialog isn't great, but they did well enough with what they had to deal with.
I guess we should just shut up then. They tried, guys, and that's all that counts. That, and kitten giggles and puppies farting rainbows. Don't forget that Fallout 1/2 had both spoken dialogue (with animated heads) and text-only dialogue, and it worked well. Characters with their own voices and talking heads had very distinct personalities, while literary description and your imagination filled those traits in for everyone else. It worked quite well, too.

BenRGamer said:
A bunch of people were just wanting a re-hashed 1 and 2, it sounds like...
Haw, no. Look, if I or anybody else wanted the first or second game, we would play the first or second game. What many of us wanted was a game in the same vein. You know, a sequel. That doesn't mean that they have to be exactly alike, just sharing the same core.

If you talk to him long enough Three Dog tells you outright he doesn't give a damn about you or your dad and he won't tell you until you do something for him. There's a Speech check sure to sweet talk him into telling you but no option to simply beat it out of him or hold a gun up to his head once he starts to piss you off.

Also, I don't recall at any point being told that caps = money. This was one of the first things told to you in FO1/FO2 iirc.

Senty said:
Also, I don't recall at any point being told that caps = money. This was one of the first things told to you in FO1/FO2 iirc.
In FO1, yeah I believe you learn that if you talk to the one of the people guarding the gates of Shady Sands. As for FO2, you're never told that chips are currency, but since your tribe has contact with traders it seems implied that it is common knowledge, even to you. I did find it odd that you come strolling out of a vault in FO3 and instantly recognize caps as currency.

Leon said:

So what? So what? How in the HELL can you compare spoken dialog to text? In text guess how much space a sentence takes up? Not alot. How many people do you have to pay? One guy, two at most. In spoken dialog, things change. You have voice files taking up room, the voice actors, the sound recorders into the mix, it's a larger strain on the project as a whole. It's not 'standard' and in fact it's downright stupid to expect someone to invest that many resources just so you can have a few more things to say.

Leon said:
I guess we should just shut up then. They tried, guys, and that's all that counts. That, and kitten giggles and puppies farting rainbows. Don't forget that Fallout 1/2 had both spoken dialogue (with animated heads) and text-only dialogue, and it worked well. Characters with their own voices and talking heads had very distinct personalities, while literary description and your imagination filled those traits in for everyone else. It worked quite well, too.

I'd like to see where all this money you have to pay everybody for all that extra work that would require. And what about this magical expansion of disc space for all that extra data that would be needed. C'mon, show us how much better you can be at this!

Leon said:
Haw, no. Look, if I or anybody else wanted the first or second game, we would play the first or second game. What many of us wanted was a game in the same vein. You know, a sequel. That doesn't mean that they have to be exactly alike, just sharing the same core.

Uh-huh. I've heard complaints about this game, but it all usually boils down to these...

'It's not enough like Fallout 1/2. So it sucks!'
'It's too much like Fallout 1/2. So it sucks!'
'It's too much like Oblivion. So it sucks!'
'It's not enough like Oblivion. So it sucks!'

You people need to get over your nitpicks. It's annoying

BenRGamer said:
So what? So what? How in the HELL can you compare spoken dialog to text? In text guess how much space a sentence takes up? Not alot. How many people do you have to pay? One guy, two at most. In spoken dialog, things change. You have voice files taking up room, the voice actors, the sound recorders into the mix, it's a larger strain on the project as a whole. It's not 'standard' and in fact it's downright stupid to expect someone to invest that many resources just so you can have a few more things to say.
And for all that effort and money, the returns were pretty pathetic.

BenRGamer said:
I'd like to see where all this money you have to pay everybody for all that extra work that would require. And what about this magical expansion of disc space for all that extra data that would be needed. C'mon, show us how much better you can be at this!
Nice fallacious argument there. It doesn't take a baker to taste a bad cookie and realize that it tastes like shit.

BenRGamer said:
Uh-huh. I've heard complaints about this game, but it all usually boils down to these...

'It's not enough like Fallout 1/2. So it sucks!'
'It's too much like Fallout 1/2. So it sucks!'
'It's too much like Oblivion. So it sucks!'
'It's not enough like Oblivion. So it sucks!'

You people need to get over your nitpicks. It's annoying
Well, excuuuuuse me, princess. I didn't realize that wanting a sequel to be similar to its predecessors was just too much to ask.

There's nothing, nothing wrong with judging a game based on its roots. And besides, I think it often falls short on its own merits.

...so you're saying that you DON'T have the money to add to the game budget? Then STFU. It's not like Bethesda is rolling in the dough, they can't afford to go overbudget alot of the time. It's a small company. Be happy they have the budget to GET Malcom McDowell...

And there is when you're too biased about it.

BenRGamer said:
...so you're saying that you DON'T have the money to add to the game budget? Then STFU. It's not like Bethesda is rolling in the dough, they can't afford to go overbudget alot of the time. It's a small company. Be happy they have the budget to GET Malcom McDowell...

And there is when you're too biased about it.

So only the actual designers and investors can criticize the game?

May brahmin fart in your general direction.

Back