Guy on blog: Diablo 3 vs Fallout 3

I have to admit that the moment I saw the screenshots for Diablo 3, my first thoughts were of Fallout 3 and how Bethesda has totally scrapped everything I expect from a Fallout sequel.

When I look at these screenshots I can instantly recognize that I'm looking at a Diablo game.

Fallout 3? Most of the screenshots could have come from any mindless shooter game.... Pathetic.

Diablo 3 falsifies 3 claims:

1) PC gaming is dead, and not a lucrative market.

2) Isometric perspective is dead, and hurts "immersion"

3) Sequels HAVE to have fundamental gameplay shifts.

Wouldn't it be nice if this was the reaction of the Fallout 3 development team on Diablo 3 the next Monday morning?

Todd Howard "Gentlemen, we have a problem..."

The Dutch Ghost said:
Wouldn't it be nice if this was the reaction of the Fallout 3 development team on Diablo 3 the next Monday morning?

"...Sir, should we really do it?"

"Yes, lets nuke'em."

The Dutch Ghost said:

I bet their reaction is like everyone else's: "Sweet!"

gc051360 said:
Isometric perspective

No, Isometric perspective pretty much is dead. Words mean things and I hate when people just make up their own definitions of words that already have specific meaning. I mean look at the guy in the article.

Do you think Blizzard doesn't have the resources to pull of a Diablo III in full 3d mode, with a third person perspective?

What the hell is this guy saying? Is he trying to claim the game is 2d with 1st person (or 2nd?) perspective? What they just showed off was Diablo III in full 3d with a 3rd person perspective. I know it's petty but this shit really gets under my skin.

Anani Masu said:
gc051360 said:
Isometric perspective

No, Isometric perspective pretty much is dead. Words mean things and I hate when people just make up their own definitions of words that already have specific meaning. I mean look at the guy in the article.

Do you think Blizzard doesn't have the resources to pull of a Diablo III in full 3d mode, with a third person perspective?

What the hell is this guy saying? Is he trying to claim the game is 2d with 1st person (or 2nd?) perspective? What they just showed off was Diablo III in full 3d with a 3rd person perspective. I know it's petty but this shit really gets under my skin.

Well, isometric implies 2d, yes?

Perhaps "Birds eye view" is a better term?

Basically, the argument it refutes is that first person perspective = the future, and = superior.

Bodybag said:
But yeah, the main thing is this whole F3 vs D3 comparison is so flawed it's hard to believe people are entertaining it, even around these parts.

Eh?

Diablo 3 will be the closest comparable thing to Fallout 3 in any situation directly available to us unless someone pops up to announce Baldur's Gate 3 (sweet!)

Duh they can't be perfectly compared, but you're saying that because the comparison is so flawed it shouldn't be made? Don't be obtuse. The comparison is flawed and such flaws should be recognized, that's not the same thing as failing to acknowledge that the situations are as close as they're likely going to get, and draw some lessons from it.

It's more than fair to say Blizzard built its franchises on quality and fan dedication, whereas Bethesda built their franchise on hype and abandoning their fans with every iteration. If you refuse to compare the franchises themselves, the companies are easy enough to compare.

No wonder Leonard Boyarsky is so happy working at Blizzard.

Brother None said:
Diablo 3 will be the closest comparable thing to Fallout 3 in any situation directly available to us unless someone pops up to announce Baldur's Gate 3 (sweet!)

I would give both my kidneys for a true tot he game Baldur's Gate 3 sequel.

That aside, I find myself looking forward to D3 a hella lot more than F3. Mainly as one is true to its history (D3) and the other is... well... the equivalent of a eight year old copying a Picasso (F3).

K.C. Cool said:
The more I hear about stuff like this the more I hope that Bethesda is wrong about all their reasons for drastically changing Fallout 3 from the originals. well, if Bethesda ends up releasing the game and being wrong, that hurts Fallout 3 (in sales, reputation, etc).
I'd like see such end of Fallout 3 - A Total Disaster in every possible way: sales, gaming press? :roll: but unfortunately this is not going to happen... :?

We've already got a Diablo 3 gameplay video. Blizzard seems to want to show their product directly to the fans.

Can't say the same for Bethesda.

Another good example of the differences between the companies.

Well I know this is not going to make any change in any way but

I'm definitely going to buy Diablo III
and
I'm definitely NOT going to buy "Fallout" 3
maybe testing it in some way, but not buying it.

Some here, Imma buy some Diablo 3 too.

Boyarsky as a lead something? yaay!

One thing is for sure - Blizzard has balls. Huge, hairy balls to make things the old fashioned way, instead of selling out to kiddy console audience.

Go Blizzard! That makes the second new Blizzard I'm gonna buy as soon as it becomes available. :mrgreen:

I might test Fallout 3, but the odds of my buying it are astronomical :roll:

Continuum said:
K.C. Cool said:
The more I hear about stuff like this the more I hope that Bethesda is wrong about all their reasons for drastically changing Fallout 3 from the originals. well, if Bethesda ends up releasing the game and being wrong, that hurts Fallout 3 (in sales, reputation, etc).
I'd like see such end of Fallout 3 - A Total Disaster in every possible way: sales, gaming press? :roll: but unfortunately this is not going to happen... :?

I totally believe Bethesda will make every effort possible to make this game popular and profitable for them, however I'm still holding on to the good gaming press going "Fallout Three? Come on guys..."

I believe due to recently released info on Diablo 3 that there will be a lot of parallel comparisons from it to Fallout in the weeks to come.

Back