Have you replayed Fallout 3 yet? How was it?

lmao

It Wandered In From the Wastes
Curious about this one. How many of you intrepid Fallout fans have replayed Fallout 3 since your initial playthrough, and how was your experience the second time around? Did you enjoy it any more or less?

I played Fallout 3 as soon as it came out, and I just loaded it up with a crapton of mods and went for a second playthrough.

Even with the mods and the DLCs, my experience is exactly the same it was the first time. The mods (FOOK2, MMM, real injuries/primary needs) made it a lot harder at first, but I managed to become massively overpowered anyway. This game just has...no replay value whatsoever. There simply isn't enough choice anywhere. Most quests have a single ending. If they have two, one is a "bad" ending and one is a "good" ending...and neither ending has any repercussions for the game world at large. That makes Fallout 3 replayable twice and no more than that. Granted, I played a "good" character both times, but I can't imagine that playing a "bad" character would really change my mind about Fallout 3's replayability.

I have tried a second playthrough but it gets so boring very fast that after a while you just don't want to play anymore.

There are no good parts to look forwards to, the wasteland is one boring mess full of critters that apparently need to be killed.

And then there are the glitches which become more constant like people running away for no reason, and Enclave soldiers before the quest trigger.

I never want to play this game again.

As embarrassed I am by admitting this, I actually didn't realise how proper fucked FO3 was before my second playthrough.

Now, each time I look at that box, my stomach turns. There is just so much wrong with this game that I simply can't gather enough interest to play it anymore.

I noticed how illogical the game is, and a game (or story) completely devoid of verisimilitude is not something I can get myself to spend time on.

The first time I enjoyed the game (well, most of it) because I didn't know what to expect. I played without putting too much thought in it and, well, I had fun, even with the plot holes and all the stupid stuff.

The second time, with a better comprehension of the mechanics, I tried to see how much I could abuse the system and...my god...I didn't have to try, really.
Now I know why the game doesn't tell you exactly what and how the SPECIAL affects your attributes; it would be too obvious how superficial it is, otherwise.
Also, now that I could put more thought in the game all the problems in the setting and the story became much more obvious.

I planned to replay it as an evil character but I didn't get too far past Megaton before changing my mind. I haven't turned it on since, not even once. I also got into achievements lately and I couldn't even make myself replay it for those.

I think we all somewhat enjoyed it the first time just because of the curiosity that built up over the years (those who did anyway).

I've tried to replay it after my whole "corrupted savegame incident" (especially to check out the DLCs), but the dialog and overall linearity have kept me also from getting further than Megaton. Like Vault 101 (and most other locations, I think), that place is just horrible on your second go. :|

I replayed it recently, but most of the time I found myself gathering stuff.

Ugh.
No, just no.
After replaying vanilla, i have no, no intrest in playing it.
The stats dont do much, and you get WAY too much skill points, but its not like it really matters all that much what skills i choose.
And its easy. And combat is clunky. Quests unintresting.
It would be like hitting myself in the balls on purpose.
Not something im going to do voluntarily.

I've tried installing a ton of mods and replaying it. I expected it to be much more enjoyable, but I didn't get far before simply being bored out of the game. With the initial thrill of exploration and experimentation gone, this game simply doesn't offer anything.

I honestly don't get people who manage to sink a lot of hours into Bethesda games. From my perspective, if they excel at anything, it's the lure of exploration and the promise that something interesting can be around every corner. Usually once you turn the corner there's nothing interesting there, but the lure keeps drawing you on. That really only works once though.

^Yep, you got it right. The exploration is what makes the game interesting. Once you've explored it all though, there really isn't any point in playing it again.

Sadly, Fallout 3 is crippled with the linearity of the main quest. You can't join the Enclave or be a bad guy with any major changes with the game. The FEV and nuking the Citadel/Enclave base options are a joke.

That said, if you've played Bethesda games before and enjoyed them, you'd already realize that the real reason to replay those games is just to install those frilly girl mods and play dress-me-up. :roll:

Imo, even if the main quest would be much less linear, I still wouldn't replay it. I played the game for a while, then I started making mods but damn, it's just not possible to finish it a second time. This whole thing is broken in the inside.

It's how BN already wrote... when you can explore the first time, it is fun. But as soon as you realize that there is nothing nice to find, it becomes boring as hell.

Reminds me when I was under the white house and so on. I was running around there, shooting stuff, picking up weapons, ammo and stims, shooting stuff, then I found some super supermutant, killed him and well... thats it. There was nothing else. Just stuff to kill. I wasted approx 2 hours or so with shooting stuff there because I thought you might find something cool. This was the last time, I tried to "explore" something in Fallout 3.

TamaNeko said:
That said, if you've played Bethesda games before and enjoyed them, you'd already realize that the real reason to replay those games is just to install those frilly girl mods and play dress-me-up. :roll:
That is the impressoin I got from a lot of people that spend more then 200 ours in either Oblivion or Fallout 3.

I mean there is just so much you can squeze out of this games before it is all repetitive. Fallout 3 has here a few more interesting places to find compared with Oblivion. But that doesnt say much. But do some players really get so much enjoyment out of the game in finding all garden gnomes, nuka cola bottles or forks to decorate "their" house with it ?

What I have to say though, when it comes to the Visuals, Fallout 3 wasnt really "thaaat" bad. It was pretty acceptable even. Not comparable with the newest technology and engine around but who said a game has always to look like the world of tomorrow? I mean it just ads something to a game to see ruined landscape, destroyed bridges, streets and some kind of desert. What actualy killed that part for me was that many places looked like the bombs droped yesterday. And that the wasteland in Fallout 3 is proably the most overcrowed place in the Fallout world ... every 20 sec. some kind of "encounter" either monsters, enclave (later in the game), raiders (lots of them ...), super mutants. No surprise that you have to return every 5 min. to your "home" to repair the weapons/armor. That REALLY was a frustration when I wandered around the wasteland that you always had to repair your equipment even after a few shoots already playing a sniper was never that un-fun as after 15-20 shoots its basically a useless weapon not to mention that the scope seems not to be correctly aligned with the rifle or something. Thankefull at least these things can be corrected by mods.

Yeah, once you've explored the game there really isn't much to do. The first play through is where you'll enjoy the game the most. I go back to play Fallout 3 here and there, and it's just a time waster.

lmao said:
Curious about this one. How many of you intrepid Fallout fans have replayed Fallout 3 since your initial playthrough, and how was your experience the second time around? Did you enjoy it any more or less?

I played Fallout 3 as soon as it came out, and I just loaded it up with a crapton of mods and went for a second playthrough.

Even with the mods and the DLCs, my experience is exactly the same it was the first time. The mods (FOOK2, MMM, real injuries/primary needs) made it a lot harder at first, but I managed to become massively overpowered anyway. This game just has...no replay value whatsoever. There simply isn't enough choice anywhere. Most quests have a single ending. If they have two, one is a "bad" ending and one is a "good" ending...and neither ending has any repercussions for the game world at large. That makes Fallout 3 replayable twice and no more than that. Granted, I played a "good" character both times, but I can't imagine that playing a "bad" character would really change my mind about Fallout 3's replayability.

The mark on your text is mine: the main problem with FO 3 is this.
I also have a lot of mods, for everything you imagine, and even with them, the game don't change!

Nothing you do changes nothing.

If the WWII was like Bethesda's FO 3, the war began because someone stole a fork from the germans, there is no repercusion at all Germany conquering Europe from 1939 to 1942 and Hitler's extermination camps were forgivable and everyone live happy after.
And off course, USA and URSS are living each one in their part of the world and never enter in conflict, since nothing changes.

I give up, I really try to find any meaning in the game actions, but FO 3 is for stupid people.

[ ]'s

I gotta admit i enjoyed playing F03 and all of its DLCs very very much but just yesterday i wanted t ogive it a second playthrough and i dont it just wasnt right it was pretty boring actually. Though gfwl achievements made it pretty bearable. Still, i havent tried many mods yet. Except close to fallout classic ones which are awesome (return of talkin heads, old cursor, old interface and such)

I was kind of forced into a second playthrough, in the past its kind of been a tradition for me to play through the FO games once normally with a well balanced and goody two shoes type of character, and then playthough a second time as an Evil juggernaught of hand to hand destruction!

However like most people here by the time I had played through once I had burned my self out on FO3, I just couldn't get into a second playthrough.

I originally completed FO3 last year, however due to limited HD space and the fact Beshesda said they had no intentions of releasing the expansions on PS3 (My PC is too ancient to run FO3) I decided to delete my save games.

Shortly after they changed their minds on the PS3 expansions, and as I really wanted to play them, I started over for a second time.

To keep it somewhat fresh and different the second time around, I cranked up the difficulty to VH, and created that Evil hand to hand type I didnt bother with the first time around. Overall its been challenging and fun. I'm currently working though the expansions for the first time and enjoying them.

My only problems on my second playthough have been technical, all the countless bugs and lag attacks I've been encountering ><

But that doesnt say much. But do some players really get so much enjoyment out of the game in finding all garden gnomes, nuka cola bottles or forks to decorate "their" house with it ?

Hah - that's kind of amusing, since collecting garden gnomes is what my first playthrough amounted to. And no, it wasn't terribly enjoyable after about 6 gnomes.

I honestly don't get people who manage to sink a lot of hours into Bethesda games. From my perspective, if they excel at anything, it's the lure of exploration and the promise that something interesting can be around every corner. Usually once you turn the corner there's nothing interesting there, but the lure keeps drawing you on. That really only works once though.

Exploring Fallout 3 is AWESOME at first, not gonna lie. The very first time I got out of Vault 101 and was on that "scenic overlook" above Springvale, all I could think of was how awesome it was. Then you start exploring and like 75% of the times you see something that looks neat on the horizon, it's boarded up. Who would even bother boarding up their house after a nuclear holocaust? And why wouldn't the boards have been torn down after 200 long years of scavenging?

I really loved the DC Interiors mod, which livened up DC locations a lot. It's hilarious when you think of how a nerd from god knows where can make a wasted city 200 times more interesting than Bethesda's team.

Back