Have you replayed Fallout 3 yet? How was it?

I bought Fallout 1+2 and played them. Even though they frustrated me at first with the way too frequent enemy encounters (a problem I had to fix myself in the data pad file or w/e), I enjoyed them and began to feel they were better than FO 3. But after I was done with both I felt they were just too short and I wasn't very interested in playing the game again any time soon.

I've recently replayed Fallout and Fallout 2, for the first time in a couple of years. Fallout was nostalgic and rather good; an aged, oak tinged South African Shiraz one could say. I have to concede that it lacks much replayability for me now days. It was great replaying it, but I wouldn't fancy doing so again, for a while anyway. I've played it so many times over the years; the plot - whilst epic - is neither long, nor structurally complex. The game just isn't long enough. This doesn't at all detract from what playing it was like back in the day; my first go with it, 1998 I think, was by far the most vivid and compelling gaming experience I have ever had. I remember arriving at the Mariposa military base for the first time, whilst playing it at 4am, and being amazed at how immersed it made me feel. The soundtracks to several of the locations are truly capital. Great times :D

Fallout 2 though? As a first time gaming experience, it doesn't stand with Fallout for me. The serious, dark elements to the environment you find yourself in, are somewhat diluted and replaced with decent but sometimes seemingly out of place humor. I still enjoyed it immensely though, it was a worthy sequel in it's own right. The aspect of Fallout 2 that I think is a triumph would be the big quests involving Gecko/Vault City/Redding/New Reno/Broken Hills/NCR. By this I mean the quests that take place across multiple locations, and the resulting power shifts between VC/New Reno/NCR. This for me, along with the largely good dialogue throughout the game, makes F2 incredibly replayable - even now. The game can be approached in multitude of ways, getting the most out of the excellent S.P.E.C.I.A..L. system and allowing for excellent replayability. With some mod tweaks it can be made a reasonable difficulty as well, Fallout is too easy after playing it for over a decade. Some of the locations offer a downside however. New Reno for example. Other locations are good but clearly unfinished. Broken Hills. A smooth, but rather quirky-around-the-edge French Merlot. Very good day-to-day drinking.

I don't know how anyone can fail to love their first games of Fallout (1+2), even now. Unless you dislike actual RPG's that is, in which case you ideally would find it hard to enjoy any of the series.

Funny, I actually rate Fallout Tactics and Fallout BOS, well at least parts of the last, better than everything that was in Fallout 3.

I rate Tactics ahead of Fallout 3, but (even parts of) BOS? I thought it was a bloody awful game myself. Your probably referring to specific themes and incidences in it I guess, in retrospect I can see 'good points', but they are few in number and floating in a sea of shite. BOS was a distinctly unpleasant experience; I put it down quickly and didn't pick it back up.

Fallout 3 is deeply flawed, and as BN alluded to, once the Obsidian Surprise! factor wears down, you're left with an insult to your intelligence. Even so, my first go at 3 was substantially more enjoyable than any part of BOS - which was a cruel joke, and a masterpiece of gaming disasters in my mind. Fallout 3 fails at being a Fallout game, POS fails at being a game.

Hope this helps.

I bought Fallout 1+2 and played them. Even though they frustrated me at first with the way too frequent enemy encounters (a problem I had to fix myself in the data pad file or w/e), I enjoyed them and began to feel they were better than FO 3. But after I was done with both I felt they were just too short and I wasn't very interested in playing the game again any time soon.

I've recently replayed Fallout and Fallout 2, for the first time in a couple of years. Fallout was nostalgic and rather good; an aged, oak tinged South African Shiraz one could say. I have to concede that it lacks much replayability for me now days. It was great replaying it, but I wouldn't fancy doing so again, for a while anyway. I've played it so many times over the years; the plot - whilst epic - is neither long, nor structurally complex. The game just isn't long enough. This doesn't at all detract from what playing it was like back in the day; my first go with it, 1998 I think, was by far the most vivid and compelling gaming experience I have ever had. I remember arriving at the Mariposa military base for the first time, whilst playing it at 4am, and being amazed at how immersed it made me feel. The soundtracks to several of the locations are truly capital. Great times :D

Fallout 2 though? As a first time gaming experience, it doesn't stand with Fallout for me. The serious, dark elements to the environment you find yourself in, are somewhat diluted and replaced with decent but sometimes seemingly out of place humor. I still enjoyed it immensely though, it was a worthy sequel in it's own right. The aspect of Fallout 2 that I think is a triumph would be the big quests involving Gecko/Vault City/Redding/New Reno/Broken Hills/NCR. By this I mean the quests that take place across multiple locations, and the resulting power shifts between VC/New Reno/NCR. This for me, along with the largely good dialogue throughout the game, makes F2 incredibly replayable - even now. The game can be approached in multitude of ways, getting the most out of the excellent S.P.E.C.I.A..L. system and allowing for excellent replayability. With some mod tweaks it can be made a reasonable difficulty as well, Fallout is too easy after playing it for over a decade. Some of the locations offer a downside however. New Reno for example. Other locations are good but clearly unfinished. Broken Hills.

I don't know how anyone can fail to love their first games of Fallout (1+2), even now. Unless you dislike actual RPG's that is, in which case you ideally would find it hard to enjoy any of the series.

Funny, I actually rate Fallout Tactics and Fallout BOS, well at least parts of the last, better than everything that was in Fallout 3.

I rate Tactics ahead of Fallout 3, but (even parts of) BOS? I thought it was a bloody awful game myself. Your probably referring to specific themes and incidences in it I guess, in retrospect I can see 'good points', but they are few in number and floating in a sea of shite. BOS was a distinctly unpleasant experience; I put it down quickly and didn't pick it back up.

Fallout 3 is deeply flawed, and as BN alluded to, once the Obsidian Surprise! factor wears down, you're left with an insult to your intelligence. Even so, my first go at 3 was substantially more enjoyable than any part of BOS - which was a cruel joke, and a masterpiece of gaming disasters in my mind. Fallout 3 fails at being a Fallout game, POS fails at being a game.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

What I liked was the idea of the Secret Vault which could work within a certain context.

It would make sense that Vault Tec would have had its own private Vault facility.
Like the government Vault Tec's Directors and CEOs wanted to survive any possible nuclear war with China, but Vault Tec wanted more than just to survive, they wanted to rise like a phoenix from the nuclear ashes and be the leading corporation during the rebuilding of the United States.

With all the other corporations gone or severally weakened (their industrial and research infrastructure destroyed during the nuclear firestorm) Vault Tec would become the major supplier of weapons, robots, power sources and other technologies and supplies the world would demand.

For this reason their Vault would not just be a shelter, but also a factory and a research facility from where Vault Tec would rebuild itself.
They also bought patents and schematics for technologies developed by other corporations or acquire them through own means, manufacturing their own versions of energy weapons and Power Armor.

They also expanded into the field of medical and biological technology; the development of new medicines and treatments, and the creation of new kinds of bioweapons for the weapons market.

One of the results of course was their attempt at creating a cure for sterility caused by mutation, the very thing Attis and his followers were after to restore the Super Mutants' strength, not knowing that the compound did not work. (in the game itself it was never mentioned to be a different form of FEV, merely a cure)

I also liked the idea of Attis and his followers, a group of Super Mutants that sought for the means to restore the Super Mutants to strength and prevent their own extinction, instead becoming the new dominant species on Earth.

In general there is nothing wrong with Cultist Ghouls that seek to destroy technology and scientific knowledge but the execution of the idea was poorly.

Considering the mentality of the cold war or even just WW2 many companies would have probably build underground facilities if just for the equipment they made for the military. So there is still a lot of potential here. I would think that the US had at least similar instalations like all the other nations (Sweden even had a whole city underground I think). Germany in the end of 1944 started its Project B8 Bergkristall which was the plan for a fortress deep in the German alps they even almost finished it and made a factory for plane production in just 13months they managed to make one of the bigest and most modern underground fascilities during the war. Once the Americans arrived there they found still a few hundred unfinished jet planes. The Sovietse even tried after the war to bomb it with planes but with no success.

That is an example of what I meant; I'm not saying POS doesn't have some good ideas, more like the game was such an abject misery to play, that said ideas were not massively appreciated by moi.

The first time I have enjoyed to the game because I did not know how to expect. I played without too much in their thinking and, as well, I had fun, even with the plot holes and all the stupid things. The second time with a better understanding of the mechanics, I tried to see how much I could abuse the system and my God. Really, I did not try.

I am currently unable to get my DLC back since I switched to a new PS3 slim and thus don't have any installed. However, when I get the stuff back I'll probably have at least one playthrough for old time's sake.

I've played through Fallout 3 a handful of times. To be honest, I discover new things all the time: quests; people; locations; etc. The DLCs are fairly linear, and don't hold a lot of appeal, (aside from Broken Steel, which is basically just Act II of the core story) in my opinion. But, even though I consider myself a "completionist", Fallout 3 still surprises me each time I play through.

On my last run, I refused to use any weapon other than my bare hands. That was pretty fun. I was attempting to squeeze out a bit more of a challenge, so I had it cranked up to Very Hard in the beginning, but then I realized that you gain a ton of bonus XP on Very Hard, so I turned it back down to normal so I didn't over-level the content.

I can't see myself playing through Fallout 3 again, but only because New Vegas has me spoiled at this point; going back to not being able to craft Weapon Repair Kits, aim down the sights of my weapon (or add modifications), open up dialogue wheels with my companions, or align myself with warring factions is kind of a drag, lol.

The prospect of replaying Fallout 3 is enough to make me cry. Alas, I caved in, though. After a few hours, it's once again back at the bottom of my game bin. Not to say that the game is terrible. Someone could definitely find some replayability from it, it's just not interesting to me, anymore.

ahha maybe in fallout there is a place like the OWB dcl...a very hard locked Lab hahaha that all the important people are living in android corpse (like the one in rivet city) and watching how humanity is rebuilding itself...and the war was only one more experimentation...

Playing it now... for some reason... but I did add in NV's animations, so at least there won't be any pine-cone-up-the-ass movements going on :lol:

milk ducks said:
I can't see myself playing through Fallout 3 again, but only because New Vegas has me spoiled at this point; going back to not being able to craft Weapon Repair Kits, aim down the sights of my weapon (or add modifications), open up dialogue wheels with my companions, or align myself with warring factions is kind of a drag, lol.

This. I very much enjoyed Fallout 3 when it came out (the originals were better, of course, but FO3 was not bad... although I expect to be lynched shortly for uttering such words), but after Fallout: New Vegas the idea of returning to FO3 is just not appealing.

F:NV was basically FO3 with MORE. More quests, more game mechanics, more storyline, more character. Thus I don't see much desire to go back and re-replay FO3 any time soon when I still have F:NV to keep me entertained.

Although at the moment I'm actually running through FO1 and 2. Sometimes I need a break from VATS so I can punch a few groins.

Playing some fallout 3 again, the Bos and enclave power armors kinda disapoints now, they look tougher in nv. Also seems like vats is superior to firing realtime.
Not sure why, but i think the ground and such looks better in f3. Megaton doesnt look so good though, the metall.. plates..? look to thin.

Installed GoTY.
At first it was sorta OK. Then it got very boring to the point of me considering should I just delete it. Even being evil is not so much fun, but far better that good.
Only addon left for me is Broken Steel. Im unarmed slayer and Im totally bored.

Even if the rednecks are insanely hard to kill, I still find it fun to play though Point Lookout now and then. I found it had less re-playabilty then even other games from the maker (Morrowind, Oblivion). Of course, I find NV as the better game, so I generally play that when I want to play a modern Fallout.

Back