Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

Thank you for these great patches, Mash! Currently playing Fallout 1 in 1920x1080 on my TV and everything seems to be working fine. :D

The only problem I had was the auto-detection, which caused the "Cannot init. 640x480 video mode" error message when starting Fallout (this might have been some patches/addons interfering). Setting the resolution manually in the .ini-file made it work. :ok:

I was playing more with the FO2 res patch Mash, again great job. The mapper patch is also a great aid in mapping - MUCH easier to edit large maps now. I haven't experienced any odd behavior with either patches, so I'm quite satisfied.

Question though. When the player enters the world map you still see the player standing against a black background and the whole bottom UI (the player hand slot, skills button, etc) is still visible. Is it possible to clear this or just make the background completely black? It is not really a problem, but it just looks a bit strange at times.

Thanks again for all that you have done!

Nerzhular said:
Thank you for these great patches, Mash! Currently playing Fallout 1 in 1920x1080 on my TV and everything seems to be working fine. :D

The only problem I had was the auto-detection, which caused the "Cannot init. 640x480 video mode" error message when starting Fallout (this might have been some patches/addons interfering). Setting the resolution manually in the .ini-file made it work. :ok:

I'm always debating whether or not to leave the auto-res off by default it can be a little flaky in some cases. I'm glad its working well for you though. :)

killap said:
When the player enters the world map you still see the player standing against a black background and the whole bottom UI (the player hand slot, skills button, etc) is still visible. Is it possible to clear this or just make the background completely black? It is not really a problem, but it just looks a bit strange at times.
I've been meaning to take a look at that. The problem is partly due to the "grid000.frm" black tile, that I included to hide the mouse trails where you can see off the edge of maps. If you remove the frm, you will see the map you exited from behind the world map. I'm not sure what would look better a black background or seeing the last visited map, but in any case I'll have a poke around and see what can be done.

üöaying 800x600 sit a dream, i love that!

You are makeing grat job to the hole community!

whats about erase grapcics to 800x600, can you snet we the right ini or something else? And will filt all the grafics for the german version! What you think? ahm and for russian i can do also, for both fallout 1 adn 2.

Mr.Wolna said:
üöaying 800x600 sit a dream, i love that!

You are makeing grat job to the hole community!

whats about erase grapcics to 800x600, can you snet we the right ini or something else? And will filt all the grafics for the german version! What you think? ahm and for russian i can do also, for both fallout 1 adn 2.

Sorry Mr.Wolna but I've re-read your post several times and cannot decipher it. But the first part looks like a compliment, so thanks for that. :)

Edit:
I've turned off a map redraw when displaying the world-map. This means the map you left from is displayed in the background when in world-map mode. It also has the added benefit of making the mouse more responsive and more smoother when scrolling as the background map isn't being redrawn every loop.
Here's the code if you want to try it out. This is for the US version and goes in the "RES_US.ini" file under [OFFSETS] in the "f2_res" folder.
Code:
#PREVENTS MAP REDRAW ON WORLDMAP SCREEN
004A3814	5	E8 BFDA0000			FILL 90
Also I've noticed another small bug that prevents the map boarder data loading in a couple maps. This means that on the maps effected you can see beyond the set boarders. I've only noticed it on a couple of random encounter maps so far so I don't think it'll cause much of a problem. But I'll fix it as soon as I can.

ahm, sorry for that mash!

I mean if you sent me the right ini.

I can fit the graphics like interface, mainmenu and so on.

For the german and Russian versions of F1 and F2.

I mean i have tried but when i use the new graphics there are errors, because of a wrong position int the ini files.

My Fallout2 and Mapper2 patches have been updated details are in the first post. Just a couple of bug fixes for the most part, Fallout1 was being difficult so an update for it will be delayed a bit.
I think I'll still look for a way to black out the World-map background, but for the moment it looks better than it did.

To Mr.Wolna, If I understand correctly you want to create higher res images for the Main-menu etc.. It will require more than just a modified ini. But I will look into it eventually.

Yeah ok, when you nned them just pm me, i know is not much work to edit them in Ps, but i mean i have the german and russians version, so you do not need them anymore!

I know that you're not working on the in-game movies yet, but I'm just curious if everyone else gets tearing/smearing with the in-game movies?

I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor, running the High Resolution patch at 1280x800, and Timeslip's DX9 Full Screen mode at 1920x1200.

malichai11 said:
I know that you're not working on the in-game movies yet, but I'm just curious if everyone else gets tearing/smearing with the in-game movies?

I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor, running the High Resolution patch at 1280x800, and Timeslip's DX9 Full Screen mode at 1920x1200.
It sounds like your using an older version of sfall get the latest version from Timeslip's site here.
http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

Thanks Mash, that fixed it right up! I downloaded the new Sfall, tried to load up Fallout 2, was given an error message that it couldn't load cities, found a line in the ddraw about removing the limit on the number of cities and it worked just fine (I'm using Killap's Restoration Mod). -- Is there anything else I need to modify in the ddraw.ini to make it work with Killap's Restoration Mod?

malichai11 said:
Thanks Mash, that fixed it right up! I downloaded the new Sfall, tried to load up Fallout 2, was given an error message that it couldn't load cities, found a line in the ddraw about removing the limit on the number of cities and it worked just fine (I'm using Killap's Restoration Mod). -- Is there anything else I need to modify in the ddraw.ini to make it work with Killap's Restoration Mod?

I take it that you overwrote your original "ddraw.ini". :)
I had a look at Killap's ini and these are the differences I noted from the default. All are located in the [MISC] section.
Code:
WorldMapFPS=30
WorldMapEncounterRate=30
WorldMapSlots=21

VersionString=FALLOUT II 1.02.25  RP 1.2

DialogueFix=1
CitiesLimitFix=1

OverrideArtCacheSize=1
I think that's all you need to change, hope that helps.

Version 1.7 of my fallout2 hi-res patch is up and about.
Movies are scaled to full screen in this version. Find links in my sig and the first post.
I'm updating the fallout1 patch now, and hopefully will get it out later today.

I just updated to 1.7. I'm playing in 1280x800, ingame looks and works great. In movie_size 1, I get a stretched movie that seems to play in a stretched box in the top 40% of my screen, with a black bar on top. In movie_size 2, I get a stretched movie that plays in the top 40% of my screen, no black bar on top. In movie_size 0, I get a stretched out tiny little movie.

edit - Actually, the only time when movies look normal is when playing in a window in 640x480. At 800x600, no matter the movie mode, all the movies are doubled/tripled together. I must have a setting borked, but I can't figure out where.

malichai11 said:
I just updated to 1.7. I'm playing in 1280x800, ingame looks and works great. In movie_size 1, I get a stretched movie that seems to play in a stretched box in the top 40% of my screen, with a black bar on top. In movie_size 2, I get a stretched movie that plays in the top 40% of my screen, no black bar on top. In movie_size 0, I get a stretched out tiny little movie.

edit - Actually, the only time when movies look normal is when playing in a window in 640x480. At 800x600, no matter the movie mode, all the movies are doubled/tripled together. I must have a setting borked, but I can't figure out where.

I've been trying to replicate it here but so far every things looking good. I assume you have got the latest sfall 1.36. Do you get the same results when using mode 0 in sfall?

I just thought to myself "hey, maybe there's a new version of sfall I need to try out." Downloaded, and of course, everything works like a charm now. Hopped on really fast to try and delete my post here but you were too fast. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Works fantastic, movies are great. Thanks!

A new version of the Fallout1 Hi-Res patch is out. I had a bit of a problem with the movie background not clearing in 8bit colour mode. So I set the colours to 16bit by default which seems to fix the problem. The one drawback is the loss of the loading screens.
As usual links are available in my sig and the first post.

Just registered to say thanks to Mash for writing this high resolution patch. I've been lurking on this forum for a few months and downloading the newest versions as they come out.

A friend told me about Fallout 2 and I started playing it this year. I was really into Diablo during the time Fallout 2 came out, and I totally missed out on the Fallout series.

Anyway, the high resolution patches make the game more playable (10 year old games do not look very well on today's LCD monitors!). Everything looks great now.

To spend so much time writing the code for a 10 year old game and to ask nothing in return says a lot about a person. So.. thanks!

Back