Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

I seem to be running into a little bit of a problem with your patch. My native resolution is 1920X1200 with the game running perfectly fine when set to that. I got a little tired of seeing off screen though, so I set AUTO_SCRN_SIZE to 0 and lowered the resolution down to 1680x1050. It works fine but I still felt seeing where the world drops off to a black void to be a little disconcerting. I went down to 1440x900 and that's when things became problematic. I tried all wide screen resolutions along with a few 4:3 res's and, ironically enough, the only one that works is 800x600. With every single resolution between 1680x1050 and 800x600, the error message "Error initializing video mode 640x480" pops up as soon as I execute the Fallout2.exe. Any help would be appreciated.

Ive installed Fallout 2 with the unofficial FO2patch 1.02.25 and F2 Restoration Project 1.2 and then added the resolution patch 1.2 and the ingame resolution did not changed.

Manually Ive changed the resolution in the f2_res.ini the same as my desktop resolution

#Set the screen resolution here
SCR_WIDTH = 1280
SCR_HIGHT = 1024

Still no effect! What should I do?

Grotesque said:
Ive installed Fallout 2 with the unofficial FO2patch 1.02.25 and F2 Restoration Project 1.2 and then added the resolution patch 1.2 and the ingame resolution did not changed.

Manually Ive changed the resolution in the f2_res.ini the same as my desktop resolution

#Set the screen resolution here
SCR_WIDTH = 1280
SCR_HIGHT = 1024

Still no effect! What should I do?
Did you run f2_res_patcher.exe

NecroKreep said:
I seem to be running into a little bit of a problem with your patch. My native resolution is 1920X1200 with the game running perfectly fine when set to that. I got a little tired of seeing off screen though, so I set AUTO_SCRN_SIZE to 0 and lowered the resolution down to 1680x1050. It works fine but I still felt seeing where the world drops off to a black void to be a little disconcerting. I went down to 1440x900 and that's when things became problematic. I tried all wide screen resolutions along with a few 4:3 res's and, ironically enough, the only one that works is 800x600. With every single resolution between 1680x1050 and 800x600, the error message "Error initializing video mode 640x480" pops up as soon as I execute the Fallout2.exe. Any help would be appreciated.
I think the error's hardware based. The resolutions that will work are similar to what you can set in Windows display properties.
You can get around this using sfall. In sfall, if you set MODE to 4 and GraphicsWidth and GraphicsHeight to your native desktop res. You can then set the res patch to what ever resolution you like within reason.
I'll be releasing an update soon that should help limit the scrolling a bit(Similar to my fallout1 patch). The map blockers are being a pain, so it won't be perfect. :?

Anybody else having this problem where NPCs with floating text tend to speak a whole lot more in higher res than lower res?

@ Mash

What's the progress report on the Fallout 2 Mapper patch?

I need to remove the outer tiles from a map, but the mapper crashes every time I try to move the map (to be able to reach the tiles). A high res patch would solve that problem, right?

Great work by the way.

cheers

Version 1.3 of the Fallout2 Resolution Patch is out in the wild, check my sig or the first post of this topic for the link. :)

Darek said:
@ Mash

What's the progress report on the Fallout 2 Mapper patch?

I need to remove the outer tiles from a map, but the mapper crashes every time I try to move the map (to be able to reach the tiles). A high res patch would solve that problem, right?

Great work by the way.

cheers

I've started work on the mapper but keep getting distracted by fallout2. :)

Edit:
Also I will be out of town for the next few days and may not be able to respond to posts.

Great job releasing the new version! What exactly changed with the "improved map loading"? No more scrolling outside the map?

killap said:
Great job releasing the new version! What exactly changed with the "improved map loading"? No more scrolling outside the map?

Sorry killap, not quite yet. Making the new screen size align with the map blockers is a challenge. still working on that one. :)
This limits the jumping around the map when loading, I re-enabled the map blockers but the screen will still overlap the map, the higher the res the greater the overlap.

i need some help

i think it's an old problem,i moved too fast in the world map how can i slow down world map?i often need one month(game time) to touch off a battle,it‘not good……

Little help with the res patcher

I can not get the res patcher to work, I have extracted everyting to the correct folder "C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\" but when I try to use the f2_res_patcher I get the following error message

Unrecognized Data Found!
fallout2.exe may not be the correct version.
Patch has NOT been installed.
Installation Terminated!

I currently have none of the fallout patches installed and I am running on Vista 64bit.

I would show an image of the error message on my browser but not sure how.

I would realy appreciate any help as this is a very interesting and usefull patch.

Megamod support?

First of all: thanks to Mash for releasing this patch as well as a big thanks to the whole NMA modding community. You have truly made the world a better non-radiated place.

Has this res patch been tried with MIB88's Megamod patch yet? Any reason why it wouldn't work?

Re: Megamod support?

Jiddick ExRex said:
Has this res patch been tried with MIB88's Megamod patch yet? Any reason why it wouldn't work?
There is no reason it wouldn't. Try and tell your experience.

jimkkk111 said:
i think it's an old problem,i moved too fast in the world map how can i slow down world map?i often need one month(game time) to touch off a battle,it‘not good……
Use can use Timeslip's Sfall mod to do what you ask I think.
I'm focusing on modding for higher resolutions, if I deviate I'll never get anything done. :)

I responded to your PM smeger55555.

Jiddick ExRex said:
Yes try it and let me know.

Re: Little help with the res patcher

smeger55555 said:
I can not get the res patcher to work, I have extracted everyting to the correct folder "C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\" but when I try to use the f2_res_patcher I get the following error message

Unrecognized Data Found!
fallout2.exe may not be the correct version.
Patch has NOT been installed.
Installation Terminated!

I currently have none of the fallout patches installed and I am running on Vista 64bit.

I would show an image of the error message on my browser but not sure how.

I would realy appreciate any help as this is a very interesting and usefull patch.

I have the same problem with f1 and f2

joe_strummer said:
What versions of f1 and f2 are you using? The supported versions are listed in the Readme's. The exe's I used (apart from the Chinese version)were extracted from the official patches found in the files section of NMA.

Mash said:
joe_strummer said:
What versions of f1 and f2 are you using? The supported versions are listed in the Readme's. The exe's I used (apart from the Chinese version)were extracted from the official patches found in the files section of NMA.

fallout 1 is 1.2 version and f2 is not installed, Ill do it later when we are done with f1

joe_strummer said:
fallout 1 is 1.2 version and f2 is not installed, Ill do it later when we are done with f1
Is that TEAMX's fallout1 1.2?
It seems there is a US fallout1 1.2 but I couldn't find a copy of it at the time, so its not currently supported.

Mash said:
joe_strummer said:
Is that TEAMX's fallout1 1.2?
It seems there is a US fallout1 1.2 but I couldn't find a copy of it at the time, so its not currently supported.

Not sure, I am quite new at this site. I bought a white label fallout pack 6 months ago and just installed so i am not sure. I didnt installed different patches just what i have got on dvd.

Back