Hi-Res Patches for Fallout1&2 & the BIS Mapper

I'm auther of save.dat doc. Can I help? I have some new stuff with save.dat, maybe I can help?

I've managed to get FO2 working fine with the res patch but am still having trouble with FO1.

Installed from original disc at version 1.1. Patched to 1.02 (Team X). Patched to 1.3.3 (Team X). Installed resolution patch 1.3 after which game crashes to desktop. Tried changing around the .ini for AUTO_SCRN_SIZE and COLOUR_BITS, but to no avail. Tried the various compatibility modes, nada. There's no feedback about the crash, just blanks out.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Alray said:
I'm auther of save.dat doc. Can I help? I have some new stuff with save.dat, maybe I can help?
I was just checking if the hi-res patch wasn't doing anything weird to save.dat, I don't think it is. And since Falche2 seems to work ok if you first save at a lower res, I wasn't going to follow it any further. :)

For Menocu:
I would suggest setting;
AUTO_SCRN_SIZE = 0
SCR_WIDTH = 640
SCR_HEIGHT = 480
COLOUR_BITS = 8
That of course wont change the res at all but if that causes a crash than something odd is happening.
If that works try other widths and heights.
Otherwise to confirm it's the hi-res patch causing the problem, run "f1_res_patcher.exe" again to un-patch fallout and try the game again.

Hi Mash. Uninstalling the patch let the program run again. Manually setting the .ini to default resolution still results in CTD.

Just in case it may help you to know, some relevant system specs:

Intel Core2Duo
2GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS Driver ver. 6.14.11.8250
Windows XP SP3

I've been toying around with it some more. I did a fresh install. My disc is version 1.1. Installed the resolution patch without the Team X 1.2 patch and the game worked but it would still be at the default resolution. Tried manually setting the AUTO_SCRN_SIZE to 0 and set the resolution to different levels but still stuck at default. I tried then to run in compatibility mode (I noted the readme recommends doing so when this problem occurs). However, after going into compatibility mode, the game... CTDs.

So, when not in compatibility mode, it seems the resolution patch wasn't able to take hold, but after going into compatibility mode and taking hold, it would still CTD. Hrm.

That Planescape: Torment trailer keeps reminding me of what an awesome game that was.

Sorry Menocu I'm at a loss. Especially since the f2 hi-res patch works.
One question, do you use sfall with either f1 or f2. And if so are you using the Dx9 Modes. That is do you have MODE set to 4 or 5 in the ddraw.ini?

I'm using the latest version of sfall with FO2. I tweaked its .ini as per your previous message in this thread to make it work with the resolution patch. I do have the "Mode" variable set to 4. I was going to use sfall1 for FO1 but was waiting till after resolving the issue with the resolution prior to installing it.

Anyway, if you can't think of anything no worries. It's more than enough that you put in the effort to put this stuff together on your own. Keep up the good work man.

UnidentifiedFlyingTard said:
you need sfall for the res patch to work on either game.
That's not true but the variety of resolutions that will work is dependent on your hardware, mainly your monitor. So some people have trouble finding a res that works. Using the Dx modes in sfall gives you a greater range as it will scale what is set in the hi-res patch.
Also sfall for fallout1 was never updated to work with the res patch, so you need to leave mode set to 0. I'll have to go bug Timeslip about that one of these days. :)

Menocu said:
I'm using the latest version of sfall with FO2. I tweaked its .ini as per your previous message in this thread to make it work with the resolution patch. I do have the "Mode" variable set to 4. I was going to use sfall1 for FO1 but was waiting till after resolving the issue with the resolution prior to installing it.

Anyway, if you can't think of anything no worries. It's more than enough that you put in the effort to put this stuff together on your own. Keep up the good work man.
My next question then is does fallout2 work if you disable the dx modes? Just trying to figure out why f2 works but f1 doesn't.

I set Mode=0 in ddraw.ini for FO2, but it still works fine with high resolution and all.

Something else you may wish to know is that when I tried sfall1 with FO1 without the resolution patch, it also results in CTD, despite switching up the dxmode settings. Perhaps a common cause? I'm not in a position to judge.

Sorry guys, myabe it was duscussed, but anyway

Is it possible to use this great patch with Mrfix it
I use megamod and when I look at myself I catch how left window of Mrfixit open and when fall2 crashed.
After I return to 640x480 patch is enabled it still crashed. But then I remove patch mrFixit is opened ok.

I make a mod that include Mr.Fixit and support for the HiRes Patch. I see no problems with it.

Here a screen in 1024*768 resolution:

Helios said:
I make a mod that include Mr.Fixit and support for the HiRes Patch. I see no problems with it.

Here a screen in 1024*768 resolution:
Sorry - Maybe Im not in topic - This is SPECIAL ? version of this Mr Fixit Mod?
I use Megamod, which include Mr Fixit. But maybe his version ddoesn't support Higher screen resolution?

Michael A said:
I use Megamod, which include Mr Fixit. But maybe his version ddoesn't support Higher screen resolution?
Yep :oops:, it seems I managed to goof up the height fix Helios sent me. I'll get a fix out as soon as I can.
It's probably working for Helios because his modified sfall is fixing my mistake.

Menocu said:
I set Mode=0 in ddraw.ini for FO2, but it still works fine with high resolution and all.

Something else you may wish to know is that when I tried sfall1 with FO1 without the resolution patch, it also results in CTD, despite switching up the dxmode settings. Perhaps a common cause? I'm not in a position to judge.
Sorry for not responding any earlier, I've still no idea what's causing your problem. If you manage to sort it out let me know.

is there a way to make the patch work so it changed the resolution to a 4:5 one or adds black pillars in the dialogue screen?

Because It's really game-breaking for me to see the whole world in the background outside the "speech box window"

kohan69 said:
is there a way to make the patch work so it changed the resolution to a 4:5 one or adds black pillars in the dialogue screen?

Because It's really game-breaking for me to see the whole world in the background outside the "speech box window"
when I first time see dialogue and rest of the screen was normal world-picture. It was AMAZING, I have fun from this. But you dont like it. strange :)

Mash said:
Michael A said:
Yep :oops:, it seems I managed to goof up the height fix Helios sent me. I'll get a fix out as soon as I can.
It's probably working for Helios because his modified sfall is fixing my mistake.
Im really sorry - I very novice. Are you design Mr Fix-It mod? Or you design MegaMod (think it not true).

So - Am I correctly understand you (im native Russian Speaker)
In MegaMod 2.34 Mr Fixit are not ready for High Resolution Patch?

Ups - I should read first post in this topic - so you arу design this EXTREMELy COOL patch. In principal - you create like "new game" and "new life" for this game. Thank you. And please clarify question with Megamod (Mr fixit) and you cool patch, please :)

I use: v2.0a
How I can see Mr fix it in bigger resolution, like you? Maybe I need to modify some Mr fixit source code files?

@Mash
You was right about my sfall, it fixed your bug, with the "normal" sfall it crash.

@Michael A
Yes, Mash did the great HiRes Patch :wink:

I wrote a mod that includes Mr.Fixit and I also changed a few things. Mr.Fixit has support for HiRes, a button on the iface and a hotkey, which was actually planned as a part of my mod. But if there are people that would like to have Mr.Fixit with the changes I can release it.

Back