How did you discover Fallout ?

I got a gift from a friend and it was new Vegas on ps3, after 20 genocide runs I found the game quite enjoyable and actually played the story, then I heard of 1 and 2 and played those, downloaded tactics but never got around. Then fallout 4 came out and we all know how that turned out. But Vegas is the one that started it all. Ooohhh playing it on my crappy 2 gb ram pc with 1 gb graphics with a 22 gb hdd but man was it great. Its awesome being away from the Internet.
Jeez and I thought my comp was a bit sad ;p. I replayed NV on tough mode and Blowflies would break my arm. I spent so much money on doctors bills it made me empathise with Americans.

I got Fallout 3 around when it came out, liked it a lot during a dark time in my life, then got curious and poked around online. I found this site and gradually realized the classic games were better. I think I ended up trying 1 and 2 on and off in 2009/2010, and posting questions about them on this very forum, before they really clicked with me.

Last edited:
My cousin introduced Fallout 3 to me and my brother back in 2009, then my bro started playing it and then I got into playing the game around 2012. After Beating 3 I went on to play New Vegas and beat that game as well, then I got Fallout 4 on Launch Day beat that, was left dissatisfied and disappointed. Moved on to play FO1 and FO2 back in 2016, one of the best decisions I've ever made, and last but not least I played Fallout Tactics and beat it back in 2017.
It's totally a far cry from the OG games, but I did enjoy the game for what it was! And yeah that's pretty much my journey going through each of the Fallout games in the series, now I MIGHT play BOS sometime as a joke and to see how it actually is, but don't count on this don't hold your breathe. And I'm definitely not going anywhere near 76, you'll have to kill me before I even have the thought to play it! :)
So to quickly recap everything:
I started out as a Bethesda Fallout Fanboy, got disillusioned with their crappy mediocre writing and game design, played the OG games and New Vegas to realize then what a REAL Fallout game is supposed to be, played a different but underrated (IMO) spin off game, and completely ignored two abominations in the franchise but might check one of them out for the memes! :lol:

Fallout 76 is such an online-only, microtransaction-pushing grindfest I don't think I could be bothered to play it. I barely slogged through Fallout 4 as it was.

My cousin introduced Fallout 3 to me and my brother back in 2009, then my bro started playing it and then I got into playing the game around 2012. After Beating 3 I went on to play New Vegas and beat that game as well, then I got Fallout 4 on Launch Day beat that, was left dissatisfied and disappointed. Moved on to play FO1 and FO2 back in 2016, one of the best decisions I've ever made, and last but not least I played Fallout Tactics and beat it back in 2017.
It's totally a far cry from the OG games, but I did enjoy the game for what it was! And yeah that's pretty much my journey going through each of the Fallout games in the series, now I MIGHT play BOS sometime as a joke and to see how it actually is, but don't count on this don't hold your breathe. And I'm definitely not going anywhere near 76, you'll have to kill me before I even have the thought to play it! :)
So to quickly recap everything:
I started out as a Bethesda Fallout Fanboy, got disillusioned with their crappy mediocre writing and game design, played the OG games and New Vegas to realize then what a REAL Fallout game is supposed to be, played a different but underrated (IMO) spin off game, and completely ignored two abominations in the franchise but might check one of them out for the memes! :lol:

The funny thing is all the hate we gave tactics back in the day, but the Aussies that made it really tried.... unlike some newer installments...

I ended up buying Fallout Tic Tacs only a few months ago. I was glad the trainer never had that woman's voice saying " Now make Hastati these are the younger ..... "

Still remember my friend telling me about new vegas. We were in 6th grade. That shit effected my brain for life after playing it. Literally the first time I had ever heard of politics at all.

I do not know exactly how, but in the 90's my father worked at a technical savvy job and knew people into computer tech, and one of them burned CD's that had massive game compilations in them, and somewhere down the line I was passed along a disk for Fallout 2 in 1998. I played it, was absolutely enraptured by it and fell in love with it, learned not too long after that moment other kids in school were playing it. Maybe a year or two later I found out a PC Gamer magazine was giving out CD's to Fallout 1 for free with a mag, so of course I got that. In 2001 I was more into torrenting (as it was legal to file share in Sweden at that time), I of course got my grubby hands on Fallout Tactics.

Ever since the beginning I have been a Post-apoc fan, and more and more media and games were available to me, and I became more aware of it when I knew what to look for and where. This obsession continues to this day.

Similar story here, got it on a burned CD from a friend back when it was the new hot stuff. The fact you could kill anyone, even the little runty kids in Shady Sands had us laughing a lot. I was completely enthralled and often skipped school so I could play from morning to evening. Since a bunch of us played simultaneously we would often discuss quests and various fights, how to take out Hightower and Jain etc. Good times. Still remember the first time I did the Glow, definitely the most memorable moment to this day.

We had Fallout 1 installed on the family computer, a good ol' Windows 98 around 2006-2008. I never realized the game was called Fallout, neither I understand a single thing that I was doing, I was a kid that didn't even speak English at that time, but I always had that thing for that game in particular, my dad used to guide me on doing some stuff in the game but he didn't understand English either so we both were trying to figure it out. I remember playing the shit out of it, although I never made it as far as Shady Sands. I remember vividly playing it alone while my mom was making dinner, I was just fucking around the world map until I stumbled upon a large pack of radscorpions that ate my character alive and the death screen popped out. I remember getting so scared by the Vault Dweller's skelly and the ominous music that I began crying and ran to my mom, she got so mad she decided to uninstall the game (she probably just deleted the shortcut but I never figured that out) and then I never played fallout again till around 2015 when I discovered Fallout 3 randomly on youtube. Now it was way different, I could understand advanced English and appreciated games more, although I nowadays have mixed feelings about Fallout 3, back then it was one of the best and first post-Apoc games I ever played. The music and the general ambiance were great, I was also writing a post-epic novel for a school/personal project so it helped me capture that feeling. A few years passed, and I beat F3 and tossed it aside, until one day they were giving Fallout 1 for free on Steam, and when I checked the screenshots, oh boy. All the memories of me playing that game in my childhood came back to me, I booted it up and it was all a flow of nostalgia and intrigue. I didn't remember how to properly play it, nor where or what did I have to do, so with the help of a guide I started roaming the waste and after some ups and downs, I beat it. Then my desire to know more and to get in touch with the fanbase drove me to some FB Groups, then here and the rest is history.

lol Fallout 3 is shit
make_the_best_of_things.png

I basically borrowed a gaming magazine from my bud and started reading a review. I remember there being a picture of vault 15 using ropes and inventory. I figured you could do so many things, so I quickly ran up and grabbed the game. Course I was right.

My dad is a big RPG guy, grew up with him playing games like fallout 1 & 2 and got my start that way played the games sometime later on my own and fell in love. I was aware of fallout 3 and picked it up for the xbox 360 in one of those Walmart bargain bins for like 20 bucks and was a meh experience in my case, i got fallout New Vegas shortly afterwards and felt at home with it even with the fallout 3 mechanics that where improved some what. as for fallout 4 that game doesn't exist to me neither does 76.

My uncle brough up like a whole bag of his games at one point, since he was moving states and wasn't able to bring his PC with him right away(don't remember the reason). Fallout 1 was literally the first CD i've grabbed from the bag... Rest is history.

Back