I know this is heresy, but I like Fallout 76

The reddit wouldn't probably believe that Korin likes 76. They think we're too volatile and toxic to anyone who enjoys something. There's a major difference in saying "I like 76" and "I think 76 is better than Fallout 1 and 2 because those games are shitty and outdated trash! Why do you like shitty outdated trash?!"

I needed to wobble my head in here, and to support OP.

I too have enjoyed the process of playing Fallout 76 (with some caveat...)

However, beyond the 'fun' I had with the game, upon reaching the end-game phase, I hit a wall of emptiness and my fun instantly turned into non-fun (grindy RNG mess) and so unlike many other games I've enjoyed, this was a one-trick pony and will likely never be played again.

Where do I think this game falls in the Fallout franchise? I think it should have the name Fallout burned forever off. The game has nothing to do with fallout beyond some skinning and name throwing, but taking it as a sci-fantasy sandbox game with no name, or perhaps just "West Virginia, the slightly inconvenienced years" as a pseudonym I got my monies worth and enjoyed what was on offer.

I seem to recall somewhere on these forums saying that I'd never play this game, well, my dumb pride was overcome by Steam sales and again I must reiterate, I actually did genuinely enjoy the game (aside from some caveats)

All I have left is my dumb pride when it comes to Fallout.
Hey, I get it, I really do. A part of me wishes I'd never played FO76 and I could continue on in ignorance and a distant loathing of it as was my stubborn way before. But, the deed is done, and my brain is at least kind enough to file the experience well away from all of my internalised fallout fandom.

I'm getting too dang old to be complaining about X Y or Z based on pyrrhic humble-pride reasons, I've reached a point where if a game is fun to play, then all else be damned, I'll have fun with it.

If the game were terrible I'd have refunded it without a second thought, but it passed the 'not terrible test' for me.

Hey, I get it, I really do. A part of me wishes I'd never played FO76 and I could continue on in ignorance and a distant loathing of it as was my stubborn way before. But, the deed is done, and my brain is at least kind enough to file the experience well away from all of my internalised fallout fandom.

I'm getting too dang old to be complaining about X Y or Z based on pyrrhic humble-pride reasons, I've reached a point where if a game is fun to play, then all else be damned, I'll have fun with it.

If the game were terrible I'd have refunded it without a second thought, but it passed the 'not terrible test' for me.

I mean even if it was 5 dollars I would not buy it because that would make me a hypocrite and negate the past 15+ years of my posting about sticking to your guns even when the game kinda looks like it might give you a feel good feeling while you hate fuck yourself. It also would encourage them to make more shitty games like that knowing people will buy the game for 5 dollars in a couple years and then they will count on the microtransactions to make money so basically shitty half finished games are being downright LOVED by people that claim they like good RPG's but they don't buy those they buy Fallout 76 and every JRPG released and Doom Eternal because I have an axe to grind with that one along with....

I mean even if it was 5 dollars I would not buy it because that would make me a hypocrite and negate the past 15+ years of my posting about sticking to your guns even when the game kinda looks like it might give you a feel good feeling while you hate fuck yourself. It also would encourage them to make more shitty games like that knowing people will buy the game for 5 dollars in a couple years and then they will count on the microtransactions to make money so basically shitty half finished games are being downright LOVED by people that claim they like good RPG's but they don't buy those they buy Fallout 76 and every JRPG released and Doom Eternal because I have an axe to grind with that one along with....
Someone's gotta bite the bullet and give it a try if we want an insight as to how bad it actually is though.

Someone's gotta bite the bullet and give it a try if we want an insight as to how bad it actually is though.
They always have free weekends and stuff like that. So there's always the chance where we don't have to pay to try the game. :aiee:

I don't need to bite the bullet to understand what the game is though. It's all there to see.

A weekend isn't enough time for a Bethesda bloat kinda game.
But there's been several free weekends. So if someone plays them all, they will be able to continue with their character doing and seeing a lot of stuff.

Also, for some people, a weekend is more than enough to know if they have fun (or not) playing a game. I can usually tell if I will have fun with a game in less than 4 hours, because if the game bores me, I just can't play it more than I did.

Just playing Fallout 4 and watching 76 was enough for me- 4 was too bloated and 76 looks just like 4 but with extra greasy MMO bloat on top.

Just playing Fallout 4 and watching 76 was enough for me- 4 was too bloated and 76 looks just like 4 but with extra greasy MMO bloat on top.
That's about the just of it...

I mean even if it was 5 dollars ...

I got it for 19 quid, and paid nothing into their microtransactions... and for the amount of time I played, I'm nearly sure I cost Bethesda more in server time than my £19 ... I like to think of my play-time as a passive-aggressive financial incursion against Bethesda.

That's about the just of it...

I got it for 19 quid, and paid nothing into their microtransactions... and for the amount of time I played, I'm nearly sure I cost Bethesda more in server time than my £19 ... I like to think of my play-time as a passive-aggressive financial incursion against Bethesda.

It just feels a little funny with your sig poking fun at their shit games then you buy them for the price they deserve to be sold at in the first place.

It just feels a little funny with your sig poking fun at their shit games then you buy them for the price they deserve to be sold at in the first place.

I get it, and I really do fall into the hyper-hypocritical camp, I'm right there. I love OG Fallout, but I liked Fallout 4 for the buildy mechanics and also a lot of fun with modding it. I really liked building little settlements and goofing about, the game itself was utter trite, complete garbage dialogue and 'quests' but I liked playing the Sim's wasteland edition.

Similarly, I hated what Beth touted to be the newest Fallout, sebendy siks, the release of which only cemented my fears. But, a little persuasion by a friend talked me into playing, and when I did play wanderabout-shooty-online-grindfest saggedy socks, it turned out to be something I wantingly engaged with and enjoyed my time doing so...

None of it felt like Fallout, and I was willing to just look past the bastardization of a franchise but I happily enjoyed what was in front of me.

Last edited:
Back