If Fallout 4 had actual proper alternate endings.

I think the Institute ending could be a bit more nuanced, dependent upon how you answered during the radio broadcast to the Commonwealth.

If only the game was more nuanced.

What? You mean you don't like completely linear storytelling that leaves you little options to define your character? Blasphemy!

No... please mercy be! I have sinned against the emperor and offer my soul for punishment.

You shall be sentenced to walk across hot fiery coals that burn like a thousand suns for a full day with your bare feet!

Or alternatively play Fallout 4 for eternity.

I was trying to offer something not so...extreme...

I think the Institute ending could be a bit more nuanced, dependent upon how you answered during the radio broadcast to the Commonwealth.

If only the game was more nuanced.

What? You mean you don't like completely linear storytelling that leaves you little options to define your character? Blasphemy!

No... please mercy be! I have sinned against the emperor and offer my soul for punishment.

You shall be sentenced to walk across hot fiery coals that burn like a thousand suns for a full day with your bare feet!

Or alternatively play Fallout 4 for eternity.

I was trying to offer something not so...extreme...

My sins deserve ultimate punishment.

Here we go again with fans coming up with better writing than the actual developers.

Reminds me of Interplay's logo sequence. "By gamers, for gamers". The way it should be done.

My sins deserve ultimate punishment.

Alternate between Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and F: POS.
But this might not be a very long torture, since not many people are likely to withstand it.
Harden your mind, temper your resolve and you shall prevail in your trial.

On a side note, I've spend 200 hours on Fallout 4 as of late. I went to play Fallout 2 again with a new character and had to quit right at Klamath for a break on account of there being too much to do.

There are a number of side quests but they are far outnumbered by repeatable radiant quests that are boring as fuck. You can get them from so many places it begins to feel like that is all you do...

But hey, at least now someone can make a list with all Fallout 3 quests next to a list of all New Vegas quests next to the endless list of Fallout 4 quests, which clearly shows that Fallout 4 is the better game because of quests! Awesome!

/Edit: I felt motivated to collect such a list on my own. It took me a few hours to collect all the unique side-quests, but I think it was worth it. Take care, it is full of spoilers.

dipIb8.png
Hoooolllyy s**t... God... That difference between F3 and New Vegas...:shock::shock::shock:

There are a number of side quests but they are far outnumbered by repeatable radiant quests that are boring as fuck. You can get them from so many places it begins to feel like that is all you do...

But hey, at least now someone can make a list with all Fallout 3 quests next to a list of all New Vegas quests next to the endless list of Fallout 4 quests, which clearly shows that Fallout 4 is the better game because of quests! Awesome!

/Edit: I felt motivated to collect such a list on my own. It took me a few hours to collect all the unique side-quests, but I think it was worth it. Take care, it is full of spoilers.

dipIb8.png
Hoooolllyy s**t... God... That difference between F3 and New Vegas...:shock::shock::shock:

Damn... interesting list.

Almost every New Vegas quest is "above" average by the way. On the other hand F4 only have one (yes one quest) with choices, mildly interesting content and can be done with zero violence (ironically you'll have to let someone be killed in front of you to get this outcome...).

Last edited:
You mean above average. I found that most of the quests in NV are pretty decent.

Pretty decent? Loads of them were great!

This!

And since we're talking about endings, the possible variations New Vegas handled were awesome, old-Fallout levels. Imagine the possible endings if they had half a decade to make it like Bethesda did, imagine that game... Fallout 4 has plenty of flaws, but I didn't REALLY regret buying it until the ending came, talk about a nail in the coffin...

Was just going through some random stuff when I came across a Fallout 4 article which mentioned the Railroad and it suddenly made me think about something; why is the Railroad a main faction and what warrants them having their own ending?

Look at the political powerplay taking place in the Commonwealth from this point of view (even though it does not exactly match what is shown in the game).
Each of the main factions/organizations has his/her own vision on how the Commonwealth should be organized, ruled, and rebuild;

1. The Minutemen want to bring back order and safety so that settlements can survive and grow, setting up trading routes, and eventually bring back a degree of civilization and prosperity for all. (well it would have been nice of the Minutemen really did their best on helping with this)
But the Minutemen do no seek to install their own rule and laws other than that people in general should behave and not start killing each other for food or other goods. Basically they are the common people's party.

2. The Brotherhood of Steel seeks to install military rule. There will be order and safety under them but according to their definitions. There is going to be trade, growth, exchange of ideas, but technological progress and recovery will be heavily stymied 'in order to prevent humanity from causing another apocalypse'. Any advanced technology, especially power sources will be controlled by the BOS and their scribes. (so no nice fusion cell powered generators for the uncouth villages, they are not ready for this responsibility)
I wouldn't call the BOS the scientist/technology party as that role is already filled by the Institute so I guess the BOS are the new 'nobility' seeking to educate the peasants.

3. The Institute wants to rebuild the Commonwealth and the world, through SCIENCE! It is not clear what exactly kind of government or cooperation between settlements they are planning to set up, either some form of republic or perhaps a society under controlled and watched over by Synths 1, 2, and 3s that will see to it that the Commonwealth will rebuild according to the most optimal positive outcome scenario the Institute scientists came up with while they continue on with their research. And probably occasional experiments in terraforming and biological modification to adapt the surface dwellers and surface better to the designs of the Institute.
As I said before, the Institute is the science/technology party. Their interest in human affairs goes not further than human/psychology studies for their culture/civilization development prediction scenarios.

But what does the Railroad want? Its members just want to set fully self aware androids free from Institute oppression and either try to integrate them into Commonwealth society or take them out of the Commonwealth so that they can join a community or settlement somewhere else.
The idea is understandably noble (though I really wish the Railroad had been an anti slaver organization that decided to help androids when they learned that some of these were self aware and suffered from their own version of slavery, thus the Railroad aiding humans, Ghouls, peaceful Super Mutants (if they were not all orcs) and Synths while fighting Slaver and the Institute's retention bureau).
But for the rest, they don't have any plan or agenda for helping improve the situation in the Commonwealth, no goal other than helping androids.

So what sets them apart from say the Atom Cats or Covenant? If anything they should have been the opposite of Covenant and not been elevated to a major faction.

Back