Impressions thread for positive impressions

M-26-7 said:
Shattering Fast said:
nemetoad said:
Karma is a way to determine how you'll be reincarnated in the next life :) Yay Hinduism meanings that died out in modern culture!
However, Karma in this case is about how you carry yourself personally, not how much you do bad things and get caught. If anything, your karma shows your true colors by how you act. I mean, even the most smooth talker has this aura about them it seems that'll clue some people into thinking " He looks good, but I'm sure his night job consists of a dagger and a body bag."

As for discouraging Moira... it's probably considered bad karma because you're discouraging a slightly deranged, yet smart lady from trying to help the Wasteland. It'd be like discouraging a cancer researcher from holding a class.

Well put. When you discourage Moira, you basically condemn her to a life of shovelling brahmin manure. It's not so much killing a person, so much as the potential contained within that person to make the Wasteland a better place (or, at least, an easier place to live in).
So now there's something wrong with hard work? Oh, boohoo, there can't be artisans in a harsh world such as Fallout's. Frankly by discouraging her you save her a lot of time and heartbreak. How is she going to print this book? Distribute it? Hell what makes she think people will read it? (How many people can read anyways?) I mean why pay to learn shit you've already learned from elders and experience. To say that the book has the potential to change the wasteland is one thing, a statement I don't entirely agree with, but to say it will change anything is slightly preposterous. It would've made more sense for the quest to have you doing stuff for her like testing her new mirelurk bait grenade or her mole rat club. Or finding new supplies of weapons like Minefield for her to sell in her store.
Well, the mission isn't really about changing the entirety of the world you live in, so much as playing along with Moira's little quixotic quest. Will the survival guide change the wasteland for the better? Maybe, in tiny episodic bursts (such as the random encounter of the NPC who knows exactly how to take down a Molerat because of the book). Really, though, it's more about what Moira thinks of the work.

On a side note, in a world where the technology exists to maintain energy weapons and keep pumping out new plasma rounds and energy cells, you'd think binding a few copies of a book wouldn't be too difficult.

Actually it looks like you were supposed to do another mission for her originally to create the Survival Guide copies. In the GECK you can view a few models of a working printing press with Wasteland Survival Guides on the conveyer belt.

nemetoad said:
Actually it looks like you were supposed to do another mission for her originally to create the Survival Guide copies. In the GECK you can view a few models of a working printing press with Wasteland Survival Guides on the conveyer belt.
Interesting. I wish I was playing the PC version so I could play with the GECK more.

I liked the way the Deathclaws looked. Much better than the Tictacs-type of Deathclaw I was afraid they'd go with. There was a lot I think they did right, in the art department anyway. The weapon-crafting was nice IMO, and fit the setting. The melding of the Doctor and First Aid skills into one skill (Medicine) was a good idea, though Medicine's implementation in Fallout 3 was fucking retarded IMO.

I played Fallout 1 and 2 for over a decade, still replay both to this day.

And I LIKED and ENJOYED Fallout 3. Great game, I wasn't disappointed.

Just making this post to prove it isn't impossible for a Fallout "veteran" to hate F3.

Honestly, when all is said and done, it's a freaking game Razz

Don't enjoy it nearly as much but Fallout 3 introduced me to Fallout, and got me to check out the first two games. I clocked 50 hours into it, and it is simply a fun game.

Fallout 3 kind of reminds me of Resident Evil 4. RE4 got gushing reviews, was showered with praise and was the consensus game of the year, but true fans hate it because it is an action game, and not a true horror game, just like F3 is an action game and not a true RPG. Doesn't make it a bad game.

(Yes, I know that Fallout 3 has numerous flaws aside of that, but I enjoyed the game, and this is the praise thread)

After all that blathering about how it would turn out as a "Oblivion with guns" we kinda got exactly that. And it wasn't as bad as I thought. Seriously, it's alright.
After I got over the fact that there are far to many Deathclaws and and overkill amount of Power Armor and heavy weapons in the world, I started to enjoy the game.

It isn't shitty by all means. You just have to accept that it has never been the sequell to FO 1 & 2, but a game of it's own, in a different world. You can even find fun in putting some mods in and replaying it two or three times.
As my sig states, I think it's "quite okay". I did, of course, expect more from something bearing the name of "Fallout", but it's just that: okay.

That being said, I rather play Monkey Island, for now.

My positive impressions:

-Vast game world and many places to explore, however dull they seem at times there are a few fun and unique areas in the game
-Graphics (as in the number of shaders, ect., not the artistic value)
-Visual creation of player character, besides some annoyances which are thankfully resolved with mods
-Nice looking power armor and other stuff in the game, however the powered armor needs to make the characters stand much taller!

Ogami_Itto said:
My positive impressions:

-Vast game world and many places to explore, however dull they seem at times there are a few fun and unique areas in the game
-Graphics (as in the number of shaders, ect., not the artistic value)
-Visual creation of player character, besides some annoyances which are thankfully resolved with mods
-Nice looking power armor and other stuff in the game, however the powered armor needs to make the characters stand much taller!

The face and hair system was incredibly robust in FO3, unfortunately once you got a hat, even if you were in 3rd person view, none of it mattered

You rarely to never saw your characters face, and in character creation you were completely unable to modify your characters height/weight/size/bust/ect.

BarackSays said:
I played Fallout 1 and 2 for over a decade, still replay both to this day.

And I LIKED and ENJOYED Fallout 3. Great game, I wasn't disappointed.

Just making this post to prove it isn't impossible for a Fallout "veteran" to hate F3.

Honestly, when all is said and done, it's a freaking game Razz

fallout 3 is different from fallout 1-2 i admit but it doesn't discredit it as not fallout enough.

it is fallout.

but a first person/third person fallout with an open world rdy to explore.

A positive impression of Fallout3? No. I didn't have one. However, I did realize over time and owning the thing that, while inferior to Fallout, it is still quite superior to the majority of the games coming out today. It was head and shoulders above Oblivion, and if I had to place in some sort of relativistic scale, I'd place next to Morrowind which I also believe superior to Oblivion.
So, I'd say Fallout3 was a good game, just not good enough to be Fallout. The DLCs, occasionally impressed me. Point Lookout despite all it's glaring inaccuracies was engaging, interesting and difficult enough to make me care. The Pitt explained two major plot holes... where the slaves were going, and where ammunition was coming from. Mothership Zeta, despite departing heavily from the Fallout universe contained some of the better writing in the game.... Broken Steel's changes to the system made the game more worthwhile too (while the plot of Broken Steel was equally disappointing to that of the vanilla game).

You asked for a positive impression. This is close as I can get. I still play it, that should be enough.

Edit: I probably should've done more than skim over that first post--or completely ignore the rebuttals. Although there's not much to add, as everyone else seems to have covered that very well. I'd just like to make one point. Valve's "Half-Life" series of games have, more or less, become quite definitive as what a first person shooter should be. The control scheme of the original Half-Life has been emulated in many FPSs, and the subsequent Source Engine (Half-Life 2) built to keep the feel of the original has been used in almost over a dozen first person titles (even an RPG or two). The base of all of this, the game Half-Life, came out in 1998 (11 months after the first Fallout) and therefore, having a fully three dimensional FPS on the market, if the developers of Fallout had decided to use turn-based combat, or the isometric respective due to the technology then Fallout2 would not have been either. The technology existed. Hell, the technology that existed was, more or less, only one "generation" before the technology we still use (and in many ways, virtually identical to it)

I love Fallout 3.

I love the combat, the roleplaying possibilities and I like the style of the game. I think it was a huge step up from Oblivion, and I find the game is much more playable without mods than Oblivion was. I make my own little mods to tweak little things that I don't like, but really, the game isn't nearly as broken as Oblivion.

But I don't understand why the love of Fallout 3 and the love of Fallout 1 and 2 have to be mutually exclusive. I played Fallout 2 long before Fallout 3 was even announced, and I've beaten both 1 and 2 many times with many different characters, and I've done the same with Fallout 3. I understand how different Fallout 3 is, but it is still a very fun game. Bethesda did a good job staying true to the overall style of the Fallout series, the combat is fun, there are probably a few hundred quests to do, with small little intriguing stories, and the voice acting is definitely better than Oblivion.

The game isn't without fault, but neither are Fallout 1 and 2. I'd love to have a new isometric Fallout game with turn based combat and good dialog choices with a good story, but I really think Bethesda's attempt at creating a Fallout game came out pretty well. I just don't understand why just about everyone who likes Fallout 1 and 2 don't like Fallout 3. I've noticed this on just about every forum I've been to, mainly gamefaqs (lol) and the Bethesda forums, but mostly here.

I'm not through the game yet and it delivered a lot of mixed impressions so far.
I really don't know where to post them because they where pretty much even on both sides, so I'll be gentle and post them among the positive ones ;)

I came pretty late to FO3. I know the first two titles. With the first trailers of #3 announced I got a bit disappointed because of the 'awesome action' that was showed off there.
Nonetheless it always stuck in my head as a I'm-going-to-play-it-some-time title. Now in a package with all five DLCs available for around 30€ only, I got it for last christmas.

At first I took advantage of the huge modding community but had to realize that it's participants mostly seemed to be secluded from some Sims community. But there are some gems among the millions of nude-mods as well, and I took some of them.

The keyword for me here is the Fallout3-Wanderes edition. A mod which strives for a more realistic survival experience that goes beyond just shooting stuff before it can shoot you. The primary needs force you to pack a lunch whenever you go out of town and plan on resting sometime, somewhere. Also you get infected with radiation constantly because you're forced to eat and drink constantly.
Ammunition is a constantly rare thing, so I'm hording a fine selection of weapons in my Megaton home and whenever I go out on my quest I have to choose one which I currently have enough ammo for.
Modded, the game does a nice job of giving you an impression of the harsh outside world and the safety within the city barriers, medical and food support included.
Combat became a lot harder, too. Firearms are really deadly now, which makes you look out for yourself and not just jump into any fight that appears. Especially because stimpacks are rare now and only heal over time, so you're basically not invincible anymore if you only carry enough of them.
To make up for the lack of ammunition a bit, the Mart's Mutant Mod fiddles a bit with the amounts of enemies throughout the world. At least the randomly appearing ones. So the 'Lone Wanderer' is more often actually 'wandering lonely' rather than surrounded by spawned hostiles all of the time.

On the other hand, the whole setting is where usually my gripes begin. And from what I've read, a lot of posts around here elaborated already on this.
But there where some bright spots as well. I liked the touch they gave to the ghouls, I know they probably did it for the easy shock moments that zombies bring but I still like it and the way they're done.

Maybe I will find more pleasanties, but as I'm progressing further, it seems to go more and more the other way I'm afraid.

Kudos to the developers

I loved Fallout 3, I really liked the add on Operation Anchorage, I was surprised when I played the originals and how they were so glitchy, and had a ton of bugs. Despite the large amount of bugs that often kept me from playing the game, I thoroughly enjoyed 1+2 when they actually worked, so don't get me wrong. I actually have no preference as to whether the originals were better or worse than 3. They're different games and should be appreciated for what they are.

Take care, John 8-)

Re: Kudos to the developers

Fallout Boy said:
I was surprised when I played the originals and how they were so glitchy, and had a ton of bugs. Despite the large amount of bugs that often kept me from playing the game, I thoroughly enjoyed 1+2
Fallout 1 was pretty smooth actually, not that much bugs even in v1.0 ('xept for a few savegame corruption ones), Fallout 2 on the other hand, well...

And why be surprised at how many bugs are in the originals after playing Fallout 3?

Reconite said:
Fallout Boy said:
I was surprised when I played the originals and how they were so glitchy, and had a ton of bugs. Despite the large amount of bugs that often kept me from playing the game, I thoroughly enjoyed 1+2
Fallout 1 was pretty smooth actually, not that much bugs even in v1.0 ('xept for a few savegame corruption ones), Fallout 2 on the other hand, well...

And why be surprised at how many bugs are in the originals after playing Fallout 3?

I was surprised because I played 3 before the others. I thought "hey, this game is good, but what about 1 and 2? This is the third!" and bought the first two and was surprised at the bugs, since F3 didn't crash for me once after many hardcore sessions. I'm not sure if it was just my computer, but 1 and 2 crashed quite a bit on me. But like I just said, it could have just been my computer.

Take care, John 8-)

Fallout Boy said:
I was surprised because I played 3 before the others. I thought "hey, this game is good, but what about 1 and 2? This is the third!" and bought the first two and was surprised at the bugs, since F3 didn't crash for me once after many hardcore sessions. I'm not sure if it was just my computer, but 1 and 2 crashed quite a bit on me. But like I just said, it could have just been my computer.

I didn't get the first two off GoG until I finished 3 too. I haven't had problems with FO1 and 32-bit Vista, so I'm guessing it could be your system. These aren't young anymore. And Reconite was refering to FO3 having a number of bugs for quite a few people, including crashes even on the console systems. I didn't have problems either, so I guess we're just lucky.

Flitzpiepe said:
At first I took advantage of the huge modding community but had to realize that it's participants mostly seemed to be secluded from some Sims community. But there are some gems among the millions of nude-mods as well, and I took some of them.
Common to any game with easy modding abilities. It's pretty easy to filter automatically once you get used to working through mod communities.

Flitzpiepe said:
The keyword for me here is the Fallout3-Wanderes edition. A mod which strives for a more realistic survival experience that goes beyond just shooting stuff before it can shoot you. The primary needs force you to pack a lunch whenever you go out of town and plan on resting sometime, somewhere. Also you get infected with radiation constantly because you're forced to eat and drink constantly.
Ammunition is a constantly rare thing, so I'm hording a fine selection of weapons in my Megaton home and whenever I go out on my quest I have to choose one which I currently have enough ammo for.
Modded, the game does a nice job of giving you an impression of the harsh outside world and the safety within the city barriers, medical and food support included.
Combat became a lot harder, too. Firearms are really deadly now, which makes you look out for yourself and not just jump into any fight that appears. Especially because stimpacks are rare now and only heal over time, so you're basically not invincible anymore if you only carry enough of them.
To make up for the lack of ammunition a bit, the Mart's Mutant Mod fiddles a bit with the amounts of enemies throughout the world. At least the randomly appearing ones. So the 'Lone Wanderer' is more often actually 'wandering lonely' rather than surrounded by spawned hostiles all of the time.
I decided to try FO3 again a few days ago with BS. I think my mod setup is the same. I like how customizable FWE is so you can tweak it until it feels right. Only problem is that I think enemies have unlimited ammo still. I miss enemies losing their ammo and pathetically rushing at you with a knife while you blew their head off with a shotgun blast like in the first two. :cry:

After playing FO1, part of 2, and all of 3, my only positive impression was that it had its moments, but not enough to raise it beyond being a pretty average game. Oh, and the technical graphics were fine. And the character design was a vast improvement over Oblivion where half the NPCs looked like they had way too many collagen treatments. And I'm sure there was memorable dialogue somewhere. It couldn't be as bad as I remember. I dunno. Did it? Google just gives videos of shit blowing up and an IMDB page of quotes that make me cry on the inside.

And the outside looks like a nuclear wasteland. Mostly. The fact it's moddable is always great with the current. Dogmeat is adorable.

Back