It all comes tumbling down, tumbling down.

That doesn't stop players with bad reviews, and reasons to back up their reviews, being written off as trolls, or players who simply gush praise and say little else giving out 8's, 9's, and 10's. (For this game, the reviews on Metacritic that are less than 6 are better written as reviews, while many of the ones above an 8 do little but gush praise, demean every negative review as trolling, and blatantly say that the reviewer has never played a Fallout game in the past yet this one is pure gold.)And as for Metacritic, you seem to be forgetting the other ways console players like me can play games, that being rentals and borrowing. In which case, so what if you don't own the game? You still played it.
You're not understanding my point here.Because of how anyone can just make an account on Metacritic and review something however they like, as many times as they like with multiple accounts whether they own it or not alone makes the site not a credible source for reviews. If you do not see that as flawed I do not know what to tell you.More accurate reviews can be found from sites like Steam, Amazon, Green Man Gaming - basically any place you buy it from where at a minimum it's ensured they actually own what it is they're reviewing.

I know what you were saying, but all it was was an excuse to write off what Metacritic, or any open reviewing site, allows. That being opinions directly from users/buyers. By the way, whatever happened to judging these reviews by the content they contain instead of some vague worry about review spamming?

ASNd while we're on that subject, positive reviews written to "balance out the troll ones." You can't say with a straight face that that's not review spamming.

Last edited:
If it's so worthless then why did BETHESDA limit Obsidian's payment because of it?

Do you mistake me for a Bethesda fanboy or something? I only enjoyed Fallout 4. Doesn't mean I like the company.

Anyway, yeah even that is worthless. Look at some of the sites that scored New Vegas badly (which made them miss out on that bonus pay.)

I don't recognize a lot of them and the ones I do would not be a place I would go to determine whether or not a game is good. (GameShark/Cheat Code Central/1Up aka ex-EGM shills)

No, but saying it's worthless especially concerning Fallout 4 is stupid, especially as same company who made Fallout 4 used it.

Whats funny is that majority of those negative reviews are people complaining the full game isn't on the disk, when most games haven't done this for years.

And when Pete Hines said the full game wouldnt be on the disk before launch

So I guess they have no right to give the game a negative review for Bethesda fucking them over and Steam locking the game? Come on man. :whatever:

Whats funny is that majority of those negative reviews are people complaining the full game isn't on the disk, when most games haven't done this for years.

So I guess they have no right to give the game a negative review for Bethesda fucking them over and Steam locking the game? Come on man. :whatever:

Yeah it's funny how negative reviews are trolling and positive reviews are not.

If it was Obsidian they wouldn't get a free pass but you know it's Bethesda so it's okay.

If it was Obsidian they wouldn't get a free pass but you know it's Bethesda so it's okay.

"Its a feature and fixing it would ruin its charm!" :evil:

>Bethesda fucked them over by expecting people to have semi-modern internet connections.
Sorry you like in backwater hick town, but your inability to get an internet connection with speeds from 5 years ago isn't Bethesda's fault, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the game.

"Its a feature and fixing it would ruin its charm!" :evil:

Yeah it would. We WANT Bethesda games to be buggy!

>Bethesda fucked them over by expecting people to have semi-modern internet connections.
Sorry you like in backwater hick town, but your inability to get an internet connection with speeds from 5 years ago isn't Bethesda's fault, nor does it have anything to do with the quality of the game.

I shouldn't dignify that with a reply of any kind, but here's a nugget for you nonetheless. Pete Hines said they did for anti-piracy reasons. Nothing more.

Guess what? Still had PC leaks a week before launch. So, yeah, once you strip away the fancy talk, it's just another bullshit way to devalue physical media.

I do LIKE my hick backwater town so thank you!:grin: Whats funny is that I have a great internet connection dispute living in the backwoods of nowhere and it only took me a hour to download this mediocre game and then return it after 2 hours because it was a buggy piece of shit! You are really grasping at straws when it comes to Bethesda defense. Bethesda shouldn't have Steam locked their game pure and simple. That was BS on their part.

I do LIKE my hick backwater town so thank you!:grin: Whats funny is that I have a great internet connection dispute living in the backwoods of nowhere and it only took me a hour to download this mediocre game and then return it after 2 hours because it was a buggy piece of shit! You are really grasping at straws when it comes to Bethesda defense. Bethesda shouldn't have Steam locked their game pure and simple. That was BS on their part.

It's bullshit when anyone does it. Extra features or not, Steam is not necessary for single-player games, which Bethesda games, among many others, are.

It's bullshit when anyone does it. Extra features or not, Steam is not necessary for single-player games, which Bethesda games, among many others, are.
Steam workshop isn't being used for modding either so I don't see the point in Steam locking it.

Bethesda shouldn't have Steam locked their game pure and simple. That was BS on their part.

Yeah they should've included MOST (not all) of the game data on multiple DVD's/a single blu-ray disc. But still there's nothing wrong with them having anti-piracy interests.

@DrFallout: As far as I know only the Steam pre-load files got leaked early to the masses. Even if you managed to decrypt/decompress those files you still would not be able to play the game because not all of the games files were downloaded with the pre-load.

Bethesda shouldn't have Steam locked their game pure and simple. That was BS on their part.

Yeah they should've included MOST (not all) of the game data on multiple DVD's/a single blu-ray disc. But still there's nothing wrong with them having anti-piracy interests.

@DrFallout: As far as I know only the Steam pre-load files got leaked early to the masses. Even if you managed to decrypt/decompress those files you still would not be able to play the game because not all of the games files were downloaded with the pre-load.

Fair enough.

That doesn't stop players with bad reviews, and reasons to back up their reviews, being written off as trolls, or players who simply gush praise and say little else giving out 8's, 9's, and 10's. (For this game, the reviews on Metacritic that are less than 6 are better written as reviews, while many of the ones above an 8 do little but gush praise, demean every negative review as trolling, and blatantly say that the reviewer has never played a Fallout game in the past yet this one is pure gold.)

And as for Metacritic, you seem to be forgetting the other ways console players like me can play games, that being rentals and borrowing. In which case, so what if you don't own the game? You still played it.

You're not understanding my point here.

Because of how anyone can just make an account on Metacritic and review something however they like, as many times as they like with multiple accounts whether they own it or not alone makes the site not a credible source for reviews. If you do not see that as flawed I do not know what to tell you.

More accurate reviews can be found from sites like Steam, Amazon, Green Man Gaming - basically any place you buy it from where at a minimum it's ensured they actually own what it is they're reviewing.
So basically, unless you've bought and played it you shouldn't be allowed to do a critical piece on it on a site that collects critical pieces? How about fuck that? Yeah, the Metacritic system can be abused. I ain't gonna argue against that. But people can judge things by simply researching them. Fans for example who knows the series inside and out can easily look at gameplay videos and read up one what others have found in the game and judge it. Why the hell should they, who heavily oppose the new game, be forced to buy the damn thing and give the publisher/developer --who is now ruining the series they love-- money just so that they can be taken seriously?

It'd be better IMO if Steam allowed people to make reviews on games they haven't bought, but wouldn't be allowed to mark them as Positive or Negative, instead it gets marked as Negative/Positive Observation or something. And this can only happen if you have a Steam account that is "registered". Basically, if you've owned a steam account for half a year, made purchases for up to 60 bucks on it and haven't violated any rules so you're strike-free for 6 months 'then' you're allowed to make an Observation piece. That way we who don't want to waste money on the game can make our voice heard, we're allowed to steer the score with our piece just like anyone else, and it is less likely to be abused as there are several prerequisites you need to meet before you can make such a review.

But since we don't have something like that we have to make do with what we have. And what we have is Metacritic. We who refuse to buy the title because we can see how obvious it is that it is steering off of its path should also be taken seriously. Besides, Metacritic's been removing the 0 reviews that just go "fuck this game" and left the ones that offer some kinda insight as to why it was rated so low.

Did you guys know Bethesda is without sin?

It'd be better IMO if Steam allowed people to make reviews on games they haven't bought, but wouldn't be allowed to mark them as Positive or Negative, instead it gets marked as Negative/Positive Observation or something. And this can only happen if you have a Steam account that is "registered". Basically, if you've owned a steam account for half a year, made purchases for up to 60 bucks on it and haven't violated any rules so you're strike-free for 6 months 'then' you're allowed to make an Observation piece. That way we who don't want to waste money on the game can make our voice heard, we're allowed to steer the score with our piece just like anyone else, and it is less likely to be abused as there are several prerequisites you need to meet before you can make such a review.

Is this a serious suggestion?

People ask me, how can he be our Messiah and God?

And I remember, and say, that Todd, the Howard, is not just our Lord and Saviour, but also sacrificed himself for the gameplay on the altar of development to bring us the new next-gen testament to replace what is old, and to make a new world in which everyone, old and young, intelligent or not, can enjoy the Fallout, as how it was promised.

And, he can be all of this, because he's the game developer we deserve, but not the game developer we need right now.

I've said on this very forum several times that Fallout 3, the original BETHESDA Fallout, was in my opinion a great game despite the fact that it was different from Fallout 1 and 2. I enjoyed Fallout 3 very much, and it was my introduction to the Fallout world. I since played all Fallout games and while I love the originals, I still like Fallout 3 and LOVE New Vegas.

User reviews on Metacritic are 100% worthless; that site doesn't even try to verify that you OWN the game and is susceptible to being spammed by one person with bad reviews.

If you want a site with accurate user reviews for Fallout 4 see Steam.

Steam has 6,000 "NOT RECOMMENDED" reviews which is 3 times more than Fallout 3, and the "RECOMMENDED" reviews for Fallout 4 are also pretty bad a lot of the time. Metacritic has no disparity between user score and professional critic score on other major games - Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Witcher 3 - everywhere you look user scores are near critic scores EXCEPT Fallout 4. So guess what? Fallout 4 is bad, it is not Fallout, and the people are voicing that. And the fanboys are all trying to write it off and shield their beloved corporations from the tyranny of consumer reviews. You know what happens when a company makes a bad product and dismisses its end-users' feedback? Bethesda will become the likes of EA in the public eye.

Stop trying to make Metacritic Illuminati Conspiracy happen. The game is mediocre at best and the user scores reflect that no matter where you look.Except if you look at "professional video game critics" AKA people with no journalism degree who picked up a video camera one day and started yelling on Youtube so much that publishers now court them for good reviews. Those reviews are largely "100/100 most hardcore rpg evar!"

Last edited:
Back