Kotaku: Fallout 3 is broken

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by Per, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Ranne

Ranne Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 15, 2008
    If anything, the first frame is more reminiscent of Fallout 3's V.A.T.S. than the original combat system of the predecessors. The second frame... Yeah, I don't even know what's the second frame is about.

EDIT:
    Yea, but it says "Wasteland life, pre-V.A.T.S.", not "Role-playing gaming, pre-Fallout". Stupid, no matter how you look at it.

2. Monolith2013

Monolith2013 First time out of the vault

Jul 29, 2008
    Exactly.

I know what it is though... I pay magic gremlins (in the form of baby's blood) each month for keeping my PC running and bug free.

3. pkt-zer0

pkt-zer0 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 31, 2007
    The joke is that "Wasteland life post-VATS" actually does work like that, now that VATS is an in-universe device, instead of the abstraction turn-based combat was in the originals.

4. Seymour the spore plant

Seymour the spore plant Still Mildly Glowing

Mar 5, 2008
    Tim Buckley is such a talentless hack, always copy-pasting art and unfunny jokes in the exact same old layout, and still manages to get bucketloads of money out of his terrible product. He's like the Bethesda of webcomics.

5. scypior

scypior Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 6, 2007
    cpu,gpu,mobo,ram,drivers,os,os updates - you name it:) Pleeeenty of things to take into consideration.

On the other hand: xbox360, ps3 - all are the same (minor differences) and that's why these versions should be less buggy.

6. Monolith2013

Jul 29, 2008
    My head is free and clear of any sand, thanks! But as I said, I wasn't claming that people weren't having issues, but what I did say was that it's hard to blanket label something as "broken" overall without statistics or acknowledging that it could be any number of user generated hardware/software errors/conflicts on the PC. I was not commenting on the console versions as I have no experience with them.

7. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    No it isn't. A lack of statistical knowledge did not stop people and experts from calling STALKER CS, any Troika release or Fallout 2 broken. Is that fully fair? Does that fully take into account different possible PC conflicts? No. Does that mean I can use "hardware conflict" as an excuse for the mass of bugs in a game like Fallout 2 or Fallout 3? No.

And not just because it is broken on the PC, it has numerous bugs on hardware/software-unspecific consoles as well.

Fact: if you're going to play Fallout 3 on any console, there's a good chance you'll run into bugs. A large amount of people are running into bugs. These are all incidental piece of info, but to anyone who is used to seeing reactions to games (again, like me or the Kotaku guy), it is clear enough that this game is broken.

That doesn't mean it's broken for everyone, and hurray to you guys that are running it without bugs. But it is just mind-boggling that you're trying to use your incidental clear running to defend a game that can clearly be read from feedback to have multiple, unrelated game-stopping crashes, load game corruptions and other smaller bugs.

They are less buggy. But the fact that they're buggy at all is pretty ridiculous.

8. scypior

scypior Look, Ma! Two Heads!

May 6, 2007
    As for CAD comic, yeah, it's hilaruous. I cannot recall situation from previous fallouts where an enemy is stopped trying to hit me to allow me perform my action. VATS on the other hand...

9. Zumbs

Zumbs Lurking Swamp Thing

Oct 11, 2008
    Having browsed the BSF hardware issues forums it is pretty obvious that a lot of people are having issues. But given the sales, I'm unsure if it is a significant minority.

MERP?

10. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Like I said, you never can tell (not all people with issues post on the BSF hardware forum; that's in fact a minority of the people having problems already), but there is a point where you simply have to admit "this game is having too many issues and should have been delayed or have been given a 0-day patch". Nobody denies that this was the case for Fallout 2 or STALKER: CS, and I'm unsure what excuses you can make to state this wasn't the case for Fallout 3, especially since it actually manages to be broken even on consoles.

I think MERP, depending on the version and implementation, is simpler than GURPS.

At least the version I played was, but I don't remember what edition that was.

11. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    But he's cut down to two panels now! You can't apply the CAD rule any more!

MERP is pretty complicated, though. And it's a simplified version of Rolemaster.

12. Gentlemen

Gentlemen Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Sep 24, 2008
    Man, my Luck must be 10 in real life because my Xbox 360 I got when they first came out still works, Fallout 3 has not had a single bug for me yet, and I found my long lost manual to Fallout. Hot damn.

13. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    The fact that is locks up and crashes on CONSOLES should tell any thinking person that the game definitely has major problems. The excuse for PC's of "many different configurations" doesn't apply to the console world, and yet the game seems more buggy on the consoles than I have experienced on my PC. Think about that for a moment.

Many people on the PC are having problems. Many people (like me) are not. But yet you go and look at the problems people are experiencing on their closed platform console machines, and it's apparent that pretty much everyone who is trying to play it on their console is having problems.

While I don't have crash problems, I have found many fairly big bugs in the game, and all of these are happening on EVERY system. The slaver quests being bugged to hell, NPC's in Megaton that like to commit suicide, save game corruptions, etc. etc. etc. All of that shit could have been fixed if they had spent more time on QA.

Just stop making excuses for Bethesda. You know who you are. Had they taken 10 million dollars out of their advertising budget, and invested it in their developers, this game wouldn't be a buggy mess.

14. Paul_cz

Paul_cz Mildly Dipped

Jun 11, 2008
    NO! The game IS broken, but then again you can never test it on every PC that exists. But of course thats no excuse and the number of PCs and even consoles that run the game broken is too high anyway.

I am just glad my PC is able to run it without problems.BTW I finished FarCry 2 today, 30 hours 6 minutes into it, loved it, and again, did NOT encounter a single bug.But there are bugs, lot of them...I guess I was lucky again : ).

My system is based on XPSP3, with all updates, nLited, newest bios, drivers...18 background processes, only the necesarry ones.Every game runs like a charm, be it Stalker 1 (did not try CS), Fallout 3, FC2, Left4Dead, Dead Space..

15. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    I know this is incidental evidence once again, but I've played completely unpatched versions of FO, FO2 and Arcanum and finished all games without one problem whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I do find, however, that it is completely wrong of game developers to publish games with bugs and have amateurs solve them. If companies did that with cars and micro wave ovens and cellphones, they'd go bankrupt immediately.

16. 100LBSofDogmeat

100LBSofDogmeat It Wandered In From the Wastes

Nov 11, 2008
    Weird problems and bad comics

I've never had a crash, glitch, or problem playing Fallout 3... nor have I had any problem playing the original Fallouts. Hell, I can even easily install Fallout 2 from it's original disc on 64-Bit Windows and Linux (in emulation). Though yes, most games are released with a slew of bugs and weird things. That shit happens. The bigger games get and the tighter the schedules, the more bugs they'll produce.

As for that Ctrl+Alt+Del comic, it's crap. Aren't those the douche bags that are trying, desperately, to be like the PAX guys who are still unfunny as hell. Those Fallout PAX comics were wretched. If only I saw them at PAX I could have busted a knee-cap or two.

17. Monolith2013

Jul 29, 2008
    I'm not defending developers rushing titles out the door... And i'm not saying that FO3 shouldn't have been delayed either.

With that being said... who are these "experts" saying FO3 is broken for the majority? Enlighten me please. And I said "broken" not "buggy". Having an occaisional crash upon exit or a slight issue with the sound or something like that dosn't mean a game is "broken".

Also, when people have problems they tend to post them right? So, there will be a lot of posts and queries, etc from those experience issues... But when people don't have problems, they tend "not" to post... So it can lead people to believe that the majority of users are experience issues when in fact it's actually the minority posting complaints.

I'm not saying that's the case either... I don't know and that's just it, neither do any of you. People can sit here and spout their own opinion, but it's just that... An opinion, not fact. And it's not a fact that FO3 is broken, it's an opinion. That's all i'm trying to get at... I'm not defending Bethesda or any other company, most (if not all) are guilty of releasing unfinished products, but to call something "broken" for the majority ... Show me the facts to back it up please.

18. Slaughter Manslaught

Slaughter Manslaught Vault Senior Citizen

Dec 11, 2006
    - I'm gonna turn you into pieces! *Super Mutants runs against the Vault Dweller 101, rocket launcher in hand*
    *time suddently stops. The Vault Dweller 101 somehow manages to see his chances to hit the Super Mutant's bodyparts with some kind of magical vision that display his chances in %. He then somehow mentally selects choices with the power of his mind then goes on and shoots his enemy while being hit by a rocket launcher at the same time. When time goes back to normal, the mutant is dead and the Vault Dweller, somehow unharmed.*

19. Per

Per Vault Consort Staff Member Admin

Apr 1, 2004
    I'm assuming they compare to how things go with other games.

When a games crashes on consoles, it's just an opinion?

20. Beelzebud

Beelzebud A Smooth-Skin

Mar 6, 2008
    Although to be fair, modern consoles are basically junk, and I've seen my nephew's 360 crash a few times on numerous other games.

Those things get as hot as a furnace and just burn out.