Long Hair Dude

GlowHound said:
Well, I first noticed it in Vault City, I kept thinking the movement looked kinda wonky. I lined him up on the path and had him run south east towards the exit in a straight line and noticed the Dude drifts slightly to the left, and when he stops he just kinda jumps right into the position he was supposed to be in.

I tested it later with all the armors and this happens with the south west direction for the Jumpsuit, and south west and east for the Leather Armor. The Leather Jacket and Metal Armor seem to be alright.

Although I suppose it's only really noticeable in longer strides. And maybe it's only me. *shrug*

Well, i've never noticed it, maybe you're right, BUT, since we didn't "move" the dude's frames, it is, in all probability, an offset "glitch" of the original animations. There's a lot of them, for an example, look closely at the dude's feet when wearing power armor and pull out and/or holster a big-gun a couple of times...

Fixing the offsets glitches of the original animations, however, was never a part of this mod's scope. :wink:

Can be a problem of the game itself. I saw similar stuff a while ago too, i. e. player "running through walls" and not around a corner, etc. But not with the long hair dude- with the original critters. Don't know, maybe it's an issue of sfall. Didn't saw it ever before.

We are using the long hair dude already in FOnline: 2238 and it works great.

We want to use it for both. We could use it for NPCs already, but we didn't added new yet. Players itself can't use it yet either because of a small bug that prevents us from getting it done 100%. :) But it's already possible for admins to transform characters into the long hair dude, etc. (but the player can't use armors then because only the basetype changed).

/Edit: Me and my brahmin caravan:

******UPDATE*******

Mash has created a new version of the Hero Appearance Mod that solves the previous npc issue. :dance: It's been already included in Timeslip's sfall.

So, you need to have sfall 2.0c or up.

From the Hero Appearance Mod Read-Me included:

"All replacement art files should be labelled like the originals with an underscore character placed at the front eg "HMWARRAA.FRM" becomes "_HMWARRAA.FRM". This will prevent their use by NPC's who usually share the same art."

For the mod to work properly then, you can download the mod from the link below (v1.1 with the re-named frm's) or, if you already downloaded the original package (and don't want to download again), you can rename the frm files yourself as showed above with a batch renaming program such as Lupas Rename 2000 (freeware). :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?onziiwzwmm2

:)

Where do i install Long Hair Dude Mod?

I have just downloaded the LHD Mod and really want to to try it out i have editing sfall ddraw so it is compatible and installed the appearance folder to C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2 but there is no button that allows me to edit his appearance.

Thank You For Reading

First, very nice mod.
Second, I'm running F2 on an older system and as such cannot run sfall. Is there a way I could still use this such as just replacing the default graphics?

Swordtheguy said:
(...) Is there a way I could still use this such as just replacing the default graphics?

Yes; rename the frm's by removing the underscore (_) at the front and then move the frm files to data/art/critters folder in your fallout 2 installation directory (if there's no art/critters folder just make them) and that's it. Problem with that though, is that a LOT of npc's use the same animations as the default player animations, so you'll be seeing a lot of long haired dudes across the wasteland... (it looses the point, imo).

But, are you sure you can't use sfall? maybe by tweaking some options or disabling some stuff you could. Perhaps you should post your situation with sfall on the sfall thread? (the FO2 engine tweaks thread)?

x'il said:
******UPDATE*******

Mash has created a new version of the Hero Appearance Mod that solves the previous npc issue. :dance: It's been already included in Timeslip's sfall.

So, you need to have sfall 2.0c or up.

From the Hero Appearance Mod Read-Me included:

"All replacement art files should be labelled like the originals with an underscore character placed at the front eg "HMWARRAA.FRM" becomes "_HMWARRAA.FRM". This will prevent their use by NPC's who usually share the same art."

For the mod to work properly then, you can download the mod from the link below (v1.1 with the re-named frm's) or, if you already downloaded the original package (and don't want to download again), you can rename the frm files yourself as showed above with a batch renaming program such as Lupas Rename 2000 (freeware). :wink:

http://www.mediafire.com/?onziiwzwmm2

:)

So I just need to download this and put the files in ...Fallout2/data/Art/critters and I'm ready to go?
Congratulations, the new choosen one looks cool :clap:

Drelm287 said:
So I just need to download this and put the files in ...Fallout2/data/Art/critters and I'm ready to go?

No, extract the Appearance folder into your fallout 2 installation directory and check the read-me files for installation instructions. :)

x'il said:
Drelm287 said:

No, extract the Appearance folder into your fallout 2 installation directory and check the read-me files for installation instructions. :)

Thanks. :ok:

Hey x'il-

How would I go about getting Ian to use the long hair dude .frm's? This is using fo1 + the 1.3.5 patch and npc's change appearance with armor mod. Would it just be a simple case of renaming the long hair dude .frms or would I have to edit Ian's script?

If you rename the frms, all Ian-like critters will be replaced. It would be needed to edit Ian's proto file + edit the map to make it work. But beside this, I am not even sure if it's possible to add new critter frms into Fallout 1 that simple.

Lexx said:
If you rename the frms, all Ian-like critters will be replaced. It would be needed to edit Ian's proto file + edit the map to make it work. But beside this, I am not even sure if it's possible to add new critter frms into Fallout 1 that simple.

I actually never thought about that! It would be a nice addon for the Teamx mod. It included armor and level up's for the recruitable NPC right? (I dunno for sure since I still need to play it in the future)

Katja would be left out.. but she could be replayed by the PC female character if needed...

Lexx said:

You could get away with not having to edit the map Ian is on if you made his default appearance (does he come with leather jacket? I can't remember) the existing fo1 Ian frm sequence, and could specify all other types of armor as using the LHD .frms

Hmmm, 2 quick questions...

1: Can you only select LHD at the start or can you change an existing character?

2: How easy is this to install for a complete and utter novice at FO2 modding?

ScytheKnight said:
Hmmm, 2 quick questions...

1: Can you only select LHD at the start or can you change an existing character?

2: How easy is this to install for a complete and utter novice at FO2 modding?

1: At character creation, you'll be given the choice in a new window between default male and long hair male.

2: Very easy, just check the installation instructions on the included readme files.

(It's perhaps best if you also download the latest sfall version which includes the latest Hero Appearance Mod update).

Back