NFL 2011

DammitBoy said:
Reggie Wayne's contract is up and New Orleans is courting him to come back home.

That would be an awesome way to end his career.
That would be interesting. Are they not satisfied with Moore/Meachem/Henderson? I guess not.

How about Wayne to the Pats? :)

Yeah right, Brady to Wayne, Polian would let that happen. He'd then have to bitch and cry to get the rules changed back to the way they were before he bitched and cried to get them changed because they couldn't beat the Patriots.

It's like the NBA now with the ticky tack fouls, every fucking play receivers and DBs pout for flags. At a certain point are they trying to gain yardage or just pretending hard enough to draw the foul?
Man the fuck up and play football.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Yeah right, Brady to Wayne, Polian would let that happen. He'd then have to bitch and cry to get the rules changed back to the way they were before he bitched and cried to get them changed because they couldn't beat the Patriots.
He never got the rules changed. He merely got the crews to start enforcing the rules again.

"Re-emphasize". "Unenforced rules". In other words the practical application of the rules completely changed. You're missing the point if you 're going to argue over semantics instead of looking at the far reaching consequences.

Cimmerian Nights said:
"Re-emphasize". "Unenforced rules". In other words the practical application of the rules completely changed. You're missing the point if you 're going to argue over semantics instead of looking at the far reaching consequences.
The point seems to be that the Pats were exploiting rules that weren't enforced consistently but should have been. So, cheating. Oh hey, that's what their specialty is.

It's definitely becoming the NPFL (National Pillow-Fight League) instead of the NFL.

Looks like the Saints could've used Wayne today. At least the Rams are out of the running in TALGORR.

That onside kick looked terrible. Then again, Belichik's onside kick success rate is terrible.. I think the commentator said he hadn't had a successful one since '97?

Sander said:
The point seems to be that the Pats were exploiting rules that weren't enforced consistently but should have been. So, cheating. Oh hey, that's what their specialty is.
Yeah and the rest of the NFL are rule abiding angels.
So I take it you're judging this having watched that game?
Don't invoke cheating and uncalled rules - that's known as the Tuck Rule defense, doesn't make it right. You can't have it both ways. Ticky tack rules that aren't enforced are about as useful as condoms for eunuchs.

Patriots got cheated out of a win today...
By who, their defense? They were never in that game.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Sander said:
Don't invoke cheating and uncalled rules - that's known as the Tuck Rule defense, doesn't make it right. You can't have it both ways. Ticky tack rules that aren't enforced are about as useful as condoms for eunuchs.

Patriots got cheated out of a win today...
By who, their defense? They were never in that game.

They were cheated out of a touchdown and then had to make five more downs to get their touchdown a 2nd time. That robbed them of enough time on the clock to pull off a win.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Yes, which is why Polian made sure the rules as they were written would be applied. So given your statements, it seems you now fully agree that what he did was right.

Dammitboy said:
They were cheated out of a touchdown and then had to make five more downs to get their touchdown a 2nd time. That robbed them of enough time on the clock to pull off a win.
Ahhhhh, New England fans. Never change.

Where did I ever say the Tuck Rule wasn't garbage? Even if it wasn't, they probably got the call wrong in that game anyway.

I guess it's a waste to ask again if you ever watched that game which you have such authoritative knowledge of.

Ahhhhh, New England fans. Never change.
I'd be jealous and bitter too if I was a Bucs fan too. But isn't apathy and absenteeism more their schtick?

Cimmerian Nights said:
Where did I ever say the Tuck Rule wasn't garbage? Even if it wasn't, they probably got the call wrong in that game anyway.
Wait, what? Since when are we talking about the Tuck Rule? We were talking about the unenforced rules about jamming receivers. Or at least, I was.

Cimmerian Nights said:
I guess it's a waste to ask again if you ever watched that game which you have such authoritative knowledge of.
I never said a word about that game but yes, yes I did.

Cimmerian Nights said:
I'd be jealous and bitter too if I was a Bucs fan too. But isn't apathy and absenteeism more their schtick?
Awwww, someone's criticizing the Pats for playing like shit and one of their fans for saying they were 'cheated' and it has to be jealousy.

Sander said:
Wait, what? Since when are we talking about the Tuck Rule? We were talking about the unenforced rules about jamming receivers. Or at least, I was.
Since I brought it up as another example of a ticky tack, obscure, unenforced rule that the Patriots get called cheaters for. You can't have it both ways. Tuck Rule is rubbish. Patriot Act is rubbish. Regardless of whether one helped or hindered a particular team.

Consistency in officiating a game is good.
Bending the interpretation of obscure, unenforced rules in big games out of the blue is stupid. And when have the Patriots ever petitioned the league to have rules changed in their favor? Cheating is just a matter of who makes the rules, and when your GM is head of the competition committee, and you get the way rules are called changed to beat a particular team, that's just sanctioned cheating.

Cimmerian Nights said:
I never said a word about that game but yes, yes I did.
I'm talking about the Colts game. What did you see not called there that was different before or since?
The refs saw what was going on too, or were they in on the cheat!@!! You're sounding like a PFT poster.

Sander said:
Awwww, someone's criticizing the Pats for playing like shit and one of their fans for saying they were 'cheated' and it has to be jealousy.
Not hardly. I'm just reminding you that the Bucs, as probably the worst fanbase in pro sports are fair game too. I didn't know DB was a fan and you can clearly see I disagree with the idea that they were cheated rather than they sucked.

Whatever, homerism travels well I guess.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Since I brought it up as another example of a ticky tack, obscure, unenforced rule that the Patriots get called cheaters for.
Except I never did. So, y'know, completely beside the point.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Consistency in officiating a game is good.
Bending the interpretation of obscure, unenforced rules in big games out of the blue is stupid. And when have the Patriots ever petitioned the league to have rules changed in their favor? Cheating is just a matter of who makes the rules, and when your GM is head of the competition committee, and you get the way rules are called changed to beat a particular team, that's just sanctioned cheating.
Or, it's getting the rules enforced the way they were actually written. In the '70s. Because defensive backs were getting away with too much jamming in the dead ball era.

Cimmerian Nights said:
I'm talking about the Colts game. What did you see not called there that was different before or since?
The refs saw what was going on too, or were they in on the cheat!@!! You're sounding like a PFT poster.
I was being facetious about the cheating, but it's neat to see you think I was being serious.

Then no, I did not see the game.

But that's also largely irrelevant. Polian never changed the rules. He merely got existing rules to be enforced. And those rules weren't new, either. They were created in the '70s.

Cimmerian Nights said:
Not hardly. I'm just reminding you that the Bucs, as probably the worst fanbase in pro sports are fair game too. I didn't know DB was a fan and you can clearly see I disagree with the idea that they were cheated rather than they sucked.

Whatever, homerism travels well I guess.
Well if you want to judge a fanbase by size, sure. Though, y'know, that's mostly dictated by market size.

Also you take this shit way too seriously.

Sander said:
I was being facetious about the cheating, but it's neat to see you think I was being serious.
Oh, Sander you scamp you. Always with the mirth.

Then no, I did not see the game.

But that's also largely irrelevant.
OK, so I'm not quite sure how you're qualified to make authoritative statements on how rules were or weren't applied to a game you never saw, or how they were applied differently prior to that in games you never saw. When exactly did they stop enforcing the rule, restart it and where are we at now?

Polian never changed the rules. He merely got existing rules to be enforced. And those rules weren't new, either. They were created in the '70s.
OK, he just changed they way it was called so that which was an uncalled, unenforced penalty suddenly was called. That makes a world of difference doesn't it? Tomayto Tomahto. End result is the same. The pussification continues.
You don't think he did that to uphold the sanctity of the rules book, do you?

Fuck this jibber-jabber.
Week 9's going be a glorious chaser for the sour taste that the last few weeks of NFL have been.
And Thanksgiving. Sublime.
Can't wait to see the Packers hand Detroit their lunch.

Back