NowGamer interviews Howard and Pagliarulo

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Todd Howard and Emil Pagliarulo are interviewed by NowGamer for a "Fallout 3 Retrospective", because it seems like it's the right time to retrospect, y'know.<blockquote>Fallout’s devoted fans knew as much, and the moment Bethesda purchased the IP from Black Isle Studios they felt the same thing was happening to them. Fallout 3 would be just another bastard offspring of a once proud institution, sired by an industry with a pathological aversion to originality and a powerful lust for profit. However, impartial observers had reached a different conclusion: Fallout 3 was in the care of Bethesda Softworks, a master of the art of role-play, and failure was not an option.

“We felt obligated by the series, not by the fans in particular, as we’re big fans ourselves,” explains Todd Howard, the game’s producer. “We knew, going into it, that we had huge shoes to fill.” Bethesda is an immensely capable studio, but the Fallout series’ unique personality and rare maturity attracted a jealously protective audience. Very few games took you to the places that Black Isle dared, and it’s natural to be wary of even the most skilful and well-meaning alien influence. Howard could have screamed his sincerity from the highest mountain, but suspicion came with the territory.
(...)
Not that designing the Capital Wasteland was a gruelling ordeal in the name of fun. Washington held lifelong familiarity for many members of the team, and the rest could draw inspiration from the opportunity to unmake their shared national history. Standing before the Washington Monument – its form pocked and exploded by years of perpetual warfare – is a potent reality check, but the idea manifests itself in more subtle and ingenious ways. In a single day of playing Fallout 3, we sold the Declaration of Independence for less than the price of a decrepit missile launcher, then used it to destroy a robot programmed to act like George Washington. Bethesda’s brainstorming sessions must have been a riot.

“It was, actually,” says Howard. “We had to spend a good deal of time figuring out what the government in the world of Fallout would have been like, and how Washington DC would look if the events after WWII were different.” The area around the Mall, which contains almost every famous structure in downtown Washington, was an immediate concern. But strangely enough, when it came to deciding the fate of such symbolic buildings, the conclusion was invariably the same. “We went in with a pretty good plan,” Pagliarulo explains sheepishly, “and, you know, as we kept building the world, we kept destroying other recognisable landmarks.”</blockquote>And, as bonus content, NowGamer and Pagliarulo team up to show us everything that's wrong with gaming's public face.<blockquote>The pride in a job well done still shines through, however, and Pagliarulo enthusiastically dispels the misconception that an artist can’t be objective about their own labour. “I realise the humble answer is ‘No, we had no idea it would be that well received’, but that wouldn’t be completely honest,” he admits. “It was pretty late in production, when all the combat was balanced and VATS was working well, and my thoughts began to move from ‘This is pretty cool' to ‘Wow, this is, um, awesome’. I’m a huge gamer, and there came a point where, for the span of a few months, I was having more fun at work than I was playing other games at home. That’s never happened to me before. For nearly four years I watched my colleagues pour their souls into this game, but I really started to feel we had created something special, something that hadn’t quite been done before. It’s been a really, really great ride.”

Like all happy customers, though, gamers simply want to know when they can expect to buy their next ticket. Fallout 3 was an incomparable experience, not just the high-octane roller coaster we’re used to, but the concept is only as infinite as Bethesda’s desire to pursue it further. Our minds often drift into a reverie of new, far-flung wastelands – London, New York, Tokyo, you name it – but we’re too familiar with the game industry’s poker face to even bother with questions about a sequel. We content ourselves with the knowledge that, as long as the potential for improvement remains, a studio of Bethesda’s calibre would always be interested.</blockquote>Spotted on GameBanshee.

I really miss independent reviews, interviews, opinions etc :(

If i read one more time how "awesome" fallout 3 was or even about the originals without mention of the negatives, I'm gonna go crazy!

PS: I'm obviously referring to the first and last paragraph. I don't really find it odd that the guys who made fo3 would speak highly of it. It's bad marketing considering that they want to sell their DLC as well. If only they realized their mistakes at all and fixed them, I would be really happy even if they didn't admitted it!

I'm surprised the interviewer managed to type up that article what with his head being so far up Beth's .... PR?
I wonder if an interviewer will ever press them being massive fans of the game, so far there hasn't been any proof or examples of it.

Joervol said:
PS: I'm obviously referring to the first and last paragraph. I don't really find it odd that the guys who made fo3 would speak highly of it. It's bad marketing considering that they want to sell their DLC as well. If only they realized their mistakes at all and fixed them, I would be really happy even if they didn't admitted it!

No, actually, it is pretty unusual.

PR hyping up their game prior to release, fine. PR hyping with the use of reviews and awards after release, fine.

Todd Howard stating Fallout 3 was his favourite game of last year? Emil Pagliarulo masturbating about how great the game is? That's just wrong. Peter Molyneux-level wrong. Massive egos.

"Fallout 3 would be just another bastard offspring of a once proud institution, sired by an industry with a pathological aversion to originality and a powerful lust for profit."

yep, got that right.

NowGamer said:
However, impartial observers had reached a different conclusion: Fallout 3 was in the care of Bethesda Softworks, a master of the art of role-play, and failure was not an option.

I really have to stress how hilarious is.

Apparently NowGamer's definition of impartiality is assuming a game will be great because its in the hands of "a master of the art of role-play".

Their complete overflow of bias is obvious in the rest of the article.

I'm happy to admit we, as fans, were and are biased about the game, in the sense that "it should honour the legacy of Fallout" is a bias anyway, but even in a greater sense than that, in the fact that we never liked the thought of FP Action-Adventure developers making "the sequel to Fallout 2", and right we were to be suspicious there, but when accusations of lack of partiality come from these kind of bozos, I can only chuckles and shake my head sadly.

Learn journalism first, guys, then criticize others.

I'm not sure whether they actually believe what they say and that this isn't some marketing ploy, i'm tempted to think their ego's have just been inflated terribly by all the 'journalists' lapping up every word they say.

The guy contacting this PR exercise for them is the worst though, i expect Bethesda to be biased... but this...i'm almost incredulous

"However, impartial observers had reached a different conclusion: Fallout 3 was in the care of Bethesda Softworks, a master of the art of role-play, and failure was not an option. "

an impartial observer would see such a statement as plainly ridiculous and would perhaps come to a more measured conclusion at the very least. They don't make the worst 'RPGs' ever, but i certainly wouldn't state that they are masters of the 'art'.

“We felt obligated by the series, not by the fans in particular, as we’re big fans ourselves,” explains Todd Howard, the game’s producer.

So what kind of "fan" introduces a perk that increases all attributes to 9 out of 10? What kind of "fan" changes a great skillsystem into something where anyone without trying can max all skills?? And so on.......

BTW I report an error in the article on NOWGamer.
The GamesTM profile says: ""Launched as a highly sophisticated past, present and next-generation games magazine with production values to match, games™ is an unbiased and unflinching publication that serves to deliver truthful and honest opinion in all facets of the medium.Written for the more serious gamer who will appreciate the history of videogame culture, games™ will be an obvious choice for the hardcore crowd, but the editorial and design layout will also appeal to the casual gamer who wants to dip in and out.""

That doesn´t fit the propaganda of the interview, especially what follows after the "impartial observers".

Haven't you read the article? Experienced, a master of the art of role-play making and Staying true to the original spirit Developers

And if you can repeat that without snickering, have a beer on me.

Now that was the biggest load of brahmin crap ever. "Bethesda Softworks, a master of the art of role-play", yup, sure, especially when half of them TES fans nearly got heart attacks on how Oblivion SUCKED. The interviewer is dumb as shit - u can't lie that obvious. + where are Todds infamous "uh's"? All they need is to randomly spawn "Obama" in the text to make even.

The choice to save or destroy Megaton was definitely a deliberate attempt to show the world we were serious about taking on the Fallout franchise,” says Pagliarulo, “because a big part of that is giving the player some really tough choices to make. Megaton is definitely one of the first big decisions you have to make. It’s one of the biggest in the entire game, really. The Fallout world is not pretty, and that’s something we fully embraced. It’s epitomised in the Megaton quest

Shame it's the only one. And it's not really tough anyway, more of a clear cut Dark Side/ Light Side. Nothing ambiguous about Tenpenny wanting the place nuked.

The game’s auto-travel function has become the subject of discouraging remarks, but its habitual users have no one to blame but themselves.
No it isn't you fucking scrub, it's essential to not being bored out of your fucking mind. It's like saying that you don't have to wave dash in SSBM, while true, you'll never unlock the true potential of the game if you don't. Being optional does not somehow "fix" stop it from being stupid and unfitting to the game, especially given the fact that it replaced a pre-existing fast travel system that worked very well and wasn't jarring.

Bethesda allowed itself no quarter, and shunned any received ideas and tried-and-true solutions.
Oh really? I guess all that talk about "what they do best" and all of the gameplay stolen from Oblivion was just some mass hallucination then.

The Capital Wasteland is the frontier of the war to rebuild the country, but that can only be earned through blood and toil, and the outcome is far from certain.
Umm... in what way and why? I felt that the battles in the west with the Enclave and NCR were much more of a war over the eventual shape of the US. DC was just a poor rehash of the Enclave combined with a horrible reinterpretation of the BoS, who had somehow become perfect white fucking knights.

“Sacrifice and survival were our themes,” adds Howard, and few landscapes have highlighted the contrast between those values with such clarity: anyone who chatted to the mysterious stranger in the Megaton bar will know exactly what we mean.
Not really, survival was a cakewalk and sacrifice was a theme which they used like a hammer rather than appropriately sewing it into the plot.

“The choice to save or destroy Megaton was definitely a deliberate attempt to show the world we were serious about taking on the Fallout franchise,” says Pagliarulo, “because a big part of that is giving the player some really tough choices to make. Megaton is definitely one of the first big decisions you have to make. It’s one of the biggest in the entire game, really. The Fallout world is not pretty, and that’s something we fully embraced. It’s epitomised in the Megaton quest.”
What Megaton shows is how Bethesda fails to understand Fallout and is symbolic of how ogrishly the entire game is executed.

A particularly lazy criticism of Fallout 3 is that it’s just ‘Oblivion with guns’.
No one will tell you that it's a perfect description of the game but even Bethesda uses it as the quickest and most accurate description of the game.

“By allowing the player multiple ways of completing quests,” explains Pagliarulo, “which, in many cases, included killing the quest giver in the middle of the task, we were creating more permutations than players were really even aware of...”
No, not really. Most quests only have two real solutions.

“We always wanted to make another Fallout game, so we jumped at the chance. But while I do still enjoy playing the game – the basic mechanics are really fun – the key ingredient, to explore and be surprised, is lost on me at this point.”
Yet another example of how he completely misunderstands Fallout. Fallout isn't about exploration and surprises, games that are based on that really have very little replay value after the first play through, it's about playing with morality and choices and consequences.

The pride in a job well done still shines through, however, and Pagliarulo enthusiastically dispels the misconception that an artist can’t be objective about their own labour.
<snip>
In what way does that prove that an "artist", completely the wrong term to describe Emil or Todd, can be objective about their own work?

All in all, that was an epic blow-job piece. I'm with you BN, it's one thing to actually be impartial and objective and criticize traditional Fallout fans for their preconceptions and bias, but when it comes from these guys it's simply a head shaking moment.

To nuke or not to nuke, that is the question.

How was this morally gray?
Some sociopath asks me to arm a still working nuclear weapon and destroy a town because the sociopath's old boss thinks the place is an eyesore on his view.

In return I get some caps and an apartment.

Serious, how is this morally gray?

The town inhabitants might be stupid for building a town around a still live warhead when a pre war town in reasonable shape is only a ten minute walk away, but killing them feels like hitting a mentally challenged person for no reason other than that you think its fun.

An apartment in a rebuild hotel, having a home in Megaton or Tenpenny Tower honestly doesn't offer that much benefits.
Sure you can place a workbench or lab there but those are already plenty around in the wasteland, having your own doesn't feel so necessary.

I know something similar was planned for Van Buren but most likely I would not have used that either.

Storage Space?
Why not have traders such as Moira offer storage space as well for your items.

The idea of the game was always that you are a wanderer of the wasteland, having no roots.

If they wanted to make it morally ambiguous, why not make it a hive of scum and villainy?
Mostly low lives but also a handful of worthwhile people that would be worth saving, leaving with this choice "If I blow up the place I would improve the wasteland but I would also be killing people that could make a difference."

Beelzebud said:
Help me I am in hell...

Nice NIN reference there : ).I immediately had to play this song again.

Anyway, yeah, this interview and all that sucks.I still like Fallout 3 very much, but the fact that VATS is still not fixed and thus I still have not played the game to the end sucks also.

And this:

“It was pretty late in production, when all the combat was balanced and VATS was working well, and my thoughts began to move from ‘This is pretty cool' to ‘Wow, this is, um, awesome’.

Is quite a joke considering they broke their damn game in a patch.

This interviewer must've received quite the blow on his whistle... he even keeps calling them "artists".

Since when was art converted to a "lets slap the cooler and coolest, and call it a day" thing?

Idiots like him put a bad name on the rel artists of this world.

Ausir said:
I know something similar was planned for Van Buren but most likely I would not have used that either.

Actually, in Van Buren you could set up a town.

That I would have really liked Ausir, however due to time constraints at the time the developers were considering changing the system; based on reputation the player could have bought a house at the 'good' side of Hoover Dam, or the 'bad' side.

Back