Numenera is the setting of Torment Successor

I don't understand why some people are griping about Torment not really being a sequel but a spiritual successor. What do you think Fallout is in relation to Wasteland? I remember being thrilled in the mid-90s that they were making a followup to Wasteland even if it had a different name and a different take on the post-apoc setting. Seems like that worked out pretty well.

Diospyros said:
I don't understand why some people are griping about Torment not really being a sequel but a spiritual successor. What do you think Fallout is in relation to Wasteland? I remember being thrilled in the mid-90s that they were making a followup to Wasteland even if it had a different name and a different take on the post-apoc setting. Seems like that worked out pretty well.

I agree. Not a big deal for me either.

Maybe they should just drop the Torment tag then. But the marketing people won't like that.

Diospyros said:

I think it's more along the lines of Fallout being called Wasteland 2 but having a different setting and ruleset like it ended up having. Also, Fallout wasn't funded with Kickstarter :P

I'm still intrigued though, Numenera looks promising and the team looks really good.

Bewitched said:
So, it seems that some people were confused about these news

Nah, it's more of a preemptive post in case people are confused.

.Pixote. said:
Maybe they should just drop the Torment tag then. But the marketing people won't like that.

What marketing people?

Anyway, it's not unthinkable they drop the Torment tag. Depends on the crowd response, really. Honestly I expected more protests, myself, there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming majority against using the name Torment in this manner. We'll see though.

Numenera: Torment doesn't really roll off the tongue as well as Planescape: Torment either.

yeah, why does it even really need the name "Torment" in there.

Cant they just make a good game with great dialogues JUST like Torment? What the hell :p

PlanHex said:
Numenera: Torment doesn't really roll off the tongue as well as Planescape: Torment either.

They might change the name from a setting-specific to something like "Torments of the Technocrats." Though the ToT abbreviation can easily be changed to TiT.

Right now Fargo is feeling a bit like John Carpenter after he attempted to turn the Halloween franchise into an anthology series, with Part 3.

Personally I think it sounds like a good plan. Of course I'm also one of the mutant freaks that thought Halloween 3 was better than every other one except the first.

Brother None said:
Let us know if you're interested in NMA following this game closely or distantly.

WTF? Are you kidding? We want you to follow it as closely as possible. Breathe down its neck. Watch over it when it falls asleep. Nurture it. Give it the nipple when its feeding time, tap it gently on the back so it can burp.

:roll:

I hope they don't fuck it up, though. I sorta liked the fact that there was only one Torment game.

I do hope nobody gets any stupid ideas and plans on making an Arcanum sequel.

Seriously.

Indeed. Follow it. It's not Torment and the name affiliation is a tad silly but it might be a good game in its own right.

I sure hope one of the techno-magical items is the fabulous Sun Sword so I can make Thundarr, the Barbarian! Dun dun dun dum dun duna no naaaa!

Yes, follow this game.

New Concept Art of Numenera
[spoiler:2bf4f5b0ab]
351822.gif
[/spoiler:2bf4f5b0ab]

It needs more spikes.

Well, their original plan was to use the Planescape setting, but they weren't able to get Hasbro to license it. And I don't mind them using the name "Torment" in a spiritual successor game created by some of the same people.

Per said:
Then it's decided, no Torment coverage.

Agreed,

Actually I wouldn't mind. Maybe the sequel would be better than the first. I really wanted to like the first game as so many people said how awesome it was.

Back