Obsidian's Project Eternity

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Brother None, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Verd1234

Verd1234 Look, Ma! Two Heads!

Jan 16, 2009
    Spiritual or actual sequel to Planescape Torment?

2. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    It's not going to be Wheel of Time as I explained in a previous post.

3. RRBM

RRBM First time out of the vault

Jul 28, 2011
    As much as I like the WoT series, I'm not sure a game based on it would be that great anyway. I'm much more interested in seeing something original here.

4. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    It does look like we're getting a Wheel of Time game or a kickstarter announcement for getting one made. Is the fps worth tracking down?

5. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    it does? to me it looks like the WoT speculation should stop, seeing as this has nothing to do with WoT so far.

6. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    I think the logo is too close to ignore.

Although, it does look suspiciously close to the Elder Scrolls Online logo:

7. Geech

Geech It Wandered In From the Wastes

Dec 2, 2008
    Maybe it's a Neverending Story game. Or maybe the Ouroborus isn't a unique symbol in history and we shouldn't read too much into it.

8. Ilosar

Ilosar Vault Fossil

Apr 20, 2010
    It's a fairly common symbol. The serpent that devours its tail. I wouldn't extrapolate too much from it.

9. consortium11

consortium11 First time out of the vault

May 5, 2012
    1) Song of Ice and Fire is low fantasy as opposed to high fantasy (which Formerk called cliché and stupid)

2) Despite some great characters, good storylines and creating a generally believable low fantasy alt-medieval world there's plenty of stuff in the series which is stupid... with more and more appearing the further Martin takes his story to the "mystical" East (which he's never managed to nail down in the way he did Westeros's version of medieval Europe).

10. TorontoReign

TorontoReign Knight Rider oTO Staff Member Moderator Orderite

Apr 1, 2005

Not according to the wiki it isn't. It says it's actually a sub-type of high fantasy called epic fantasy. Either way I like it although I agree the area outside of Westeros isn't as interesting.. :shrug:

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt I should set a custom tit

Oct 28, 2008
    I'd definitely like to see that :D

The "3" definitely means something, makes me wonder if it's another sequel Obsidian decided to pick up...

12. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    That or it's just another countdown clock.

Advertisers fucking love their countdown clocks these days.

13. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    It said 4 yesterday, hence the people who thought it was Dungeon Siege 4.
    It's just a countdown clock, which is fine with me since it might mean a new IP.

14. Makagulfazel

Makagulfazel Adept Bungler of Things Orderite

Jun 14, 2007
    Derp on my part. I'm assuming you're correct if the special characters are absent from the WoT languages.
    Speaking of not wanting another high-fantasy game, making a trilogy out of NWN or Baldur's Gate would be fine with me :) As long as it's a cRPG, I'll be happy. DS3 was alright, but I want something deep.

15. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    New clue posted by J.E. Sawyer

Only thing that makes sense to me is it spells out "One Pro Here" if it's a snake cypher (not sure what that's really called but ouroboros is a snake so I'll go with it).

But by itself that doesn't really make sense anyway. Or does it? :p

EDIT: Or it has nothing to do with the new project and he's bragging about what a good fencer he is. :p

16. Ohaimerk

Ohaimerk modoc, den, grave Orderite

Mar 30, 2009
    Dat courier satchel 8-)

also, new page update

Code:

"I recognize your pain.  Your kind must learn it comes from straining against the turning of the world.  It spins thus.  You cannot stop it.  One day, you will wake up.  You will stop pulling.  The pain will be gone.  Until then, all your waking hours are suffering."</p>
    	</div>
    </div>
    <X>

17. Walpknut

Walpknut This ghoul has seen it all

Dec 30, 2010
    An RPG about the trials and tribulations of a Fencing Pro?

18. FearMonkey

Oct 12, 2011
    Which is similar in theme to a Wheel of Time quote:

Again, I don't think this new game has *anything* to do with Wheel of Time, I'm just pointing out the similarities in theme. :p

The embedded code is now:

!--. X . X X I T X -->

Someone on the Obsidian forums suggested that the .'s stand for vowels and the X's stand for consonants and this new letter seems to confirm that.

Mostly likely combination that anybody could come up with is "Eternity". Name of the game perhaps?

(for the record, it was not I who came up with the 'Eternity' combination or the idea for the cypher. I'm just passing on info.)

19. Jebus

Jebus Background Radiant
    Orderite

Jan 29, 2004
    Is every company going to act as douchebaggy as Apple now?
    Fuuuuuuck's sake.

20. PlanHex

PlanHex Useless layabout oTO Moderator Orderite

Nov 4, 2007
    JESawyer/Obsidian trolling people who want old-school RPGs in today's market.
    :hatersgonnahate: