Official Canon V. Your Personal Fanon

which games or resources do you not consider canon or only semi-canon?

• Total voters

R.Graves

Confirmed Retard
Now awhile back @Dr Fallout said to me that fanon is just as good to him as official canon. To be Frank I though that was dumb but now I see how my past self was somewhat of a dipshit and the folly of my previous mindset.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss which games you consider Canon. For example: fallout 4 may be officially Canon but personally for me there are too many contradictions for me to consider it as Canon and to be honest I find it so poorly written that I hesitate to consider it even semi-Canon.

I want to discuss mods that you may like consider canon. Endings you consider canon. For all fallout games. There are even portions of fallout 2 that if I had my way would be decanonized. So what parts of which games do you consider to be noncanon or semicannon in your own personal fanon? Are their any fanfics you'd like to be canonized?

Tl;Dr:
What mods, games, fanfics, and resources do you like to consider canonical?

Last edited:
I consider Fallout 3 and 4 to be canon, but irrelevant in the scheme of things. I think events in the Commonwealth and Capital not to have an effect on the wider wasteland, not important in the long run, only really of any importance in the Commonwealth and Capital.
Its the West Coast I really think matters, in my opinion the stuff that goes on there is really important, like with NCR and the Legion. These things really shape the direction that humanity takes, and have effects on the big chunks of wasteland America.

I like to thing its like comparing the American elections to the Belgian ones. The Belgian ones (no offence to any Belgians on here, of course) are fun to watch and have effects around the area Belgium is situated, but not really anywhere else and they dont really break the news in any other countries other than Belgium.
Now, the American elections have huge effects globally and break the news in every country across the world.
Thats how I like to think of comparing 3 and 4 to 1,2 and New Vegas.

I consider Fallout BOS and Tactics to be canon.
I consider the Fallout Bible to be semi-canon.
I dont consider Fallout Shelter or Van Buren to be canon.

Last edited:
You missed out New Vegas (And All Roads for that Matter).
For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to put each title in four stages of Canon.

1. Absolute Canon (1,2,NV(+DLC), All roads)
This is content that is 100% Canon to the rest of the series.
Some minor contradictions can slip, but for the most part, this is 100% Canon (or Fanon) in my eyes.
2. Secondary Canon (Fallout Bible, Cut Content)
This is content that isn't 100% canon, but is important to establishing the Canon of the series.
Some details (Like Ian being in Vault 8) may not be considered Canon, but they don't affect the series enough for it to matter.
The Fallout Bible I consider to have mostly canon material, but some information may clash with the actual canon on the series.
Here, some more major contradictions can slip, if the overall content is worthwhile enough.
3. Semi-Canon (Tactics,3(+DLC*),4(+DLC**))
The content may not be Canon, but the events are canon. You can consider these "Legends" been passed from generation to generation, meaning the story has become more fiction as time went on. Many may consider these fictional stories in the Fallout Universe that Parents on the West Coast tell children about the East Coast (this could mean F3&4 come from the same story, but has since split into two different variations).
These can include major contradictions that effect the World and story.
(Note. I've not played enough Tactics to Judge, but it appears the overall story seems to be canon, just details aren't considered Canon).
*Not Including Mothership Zeta
**Not Including Workshop packs
4. Non-Canon (BoS, Van Buren***, Shelter, Mothership Zeta, Workshop Packs).
Non-canon to the series. These events never happened (in the Workshop's case, these break character, fucking Bethesda).
They should not be taken for any part of the World and do not effect the overall story arc.
Major Contradictions can be shown throughout.
***Content from Van Buren that made its way to the Fallout Bible can be considered Canon, Some of this can be considered "Material for Canon" but that does not mean it's Canon itself.

Yep. I forgot about fucking New Vegas of all games. And all roads (nice little comic). I'm just really shitty at polls it seems.

said to me that fanon is just as good to him as official canon.
ed1.png

This belongs in the general Fallout discussion forum, transferring it to there.

Edit: I think you forgot the poll option of Fallout New Vegas.

In any case, I might as well tell what I consider canon and why:

a)Fallout 1 and 2 are canon, no question here, maybe except easter eggs in Fallout 2. They are the fundation of the franchise and filled with the good lore.

b)Fallout 3 and 4 = Completly and utterly non-canon. Fallout 3: Little Lamplight, super mutants in DC, Enclave (with power armour made of junk), a lot of nonsense etc. I made a separate thread to fix all the things Bethesda messed up in this and the next one.

Fallout 4 takes the cake as one of the worst sequels in the history of gaming. Lore, bugs, glitches, plot, characters on the level of kindergarten or worse. With gems like kid in a fridge, aliens and the city under Mojave and t-60 and other bullshit.

c)Fallout tactics = is semi canon. Not a bad game, but it messed up the lore too much and had its' issues.

d)Fallout New Vegas == Also Semi-Canon, it is tied to the existance of Fallout 3 and the lore that Bethesda butchered. If this game had cut off all the ties to 3, it would have been much better. Still, the story, the characters, the Role-playing is top notch. And the DLCs are great, although not flawless.

e)Fallout Shelter == completly non canon, it is just a mobile time waster.

f)Fallout BOS: well, we know why it sucks, so let's just leave it at that.

g)Cut Content == In New Vegas is most likely canon, as long as it doesn't brake the lore. In 1 and 2 though, I can not decide.

h)Van Buren == When Fans finish it, it will be semi-canon, because well it was roughly 80% complete before they scraped it. And the missing parts had to be added by fans.

i)MCA's Fallout Bible: I believe it should be mostly canon, as it tied closely to Fallout 1 and 2. It also explains most of the stuff that happens in most games (1,2 and NV).

Last edited:
Yeah I also go with the following:

Fallout 1 and 2, these are canon though the pop culture references and some of the cut content should be taken with a grain of salt.

Fallout New Vegas and her DLCs, though it would be nice if all the references to Fallout 3 could be dropped.

Fallout Tactics, I like Fallout Tactics but there are some issues with it that make it not very compatible with the other titles I mentioned.
Vault 0 and its pacification robots would probably have to be dropped, but I would not mind if the Reavers and Beastlords return, or that there are Super Mutants in the Mid West

Fallout Brotherhood of Steel, absolutely non canon though I like the idea of the secret Vault Tec vault and a Super Mutant expedition force that made it to Texas.

Fallout Van Buren, I would like this to be canon but sadly it isn't. Perhaps some elements could be considered though.

Fallout 3, I consider this one non canon. It has some interesting elements but not enough to make me reconsider my position

Fallout 4, I consider this one non canon. I actually have to come to like the Synths somewhat but their background story would have to be completely changed and the Generation 3 synths would have to be dropped.
The Institute feels to much like another Big Mountain/West Tek. I actually would not mind a group of scientists operating from an advanced laboratory doing new research but I prefer the idea Van Buren had with NCR and Shi scientists operating from a restored Pre War research facility rather than another Enclave like hidden group.

Fallout Shelter, it is intended as a title for when people have some time to spare. Non canon.

CANON: Fallout 1, 2, 3, New Vegas and 4.
These are canon. These happened.

SEMI-CANON: Fallout Tactics.
This is Broad Strokes canon. It happened, but perhaps not as it was initially portrayed.

NON-CANON: Fallout Shelter, the Fallout Bible, Fallout: BoS, Cut Content and Fallout: Van Buren
This didn't happen. It may as well be fanon.

Canon: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout NV All DLCs
Semi-Canon: Fallout Tactics, Fallout Bible, Cut content
Non-Canon: Fallout Shelter, Fallout BOS, Fallout Van Buren, Fallout 3, Fallout 4

I can be happy with Fallout 1, 2, 3, and New Vegas being canon, but I'm sorry Fallout 4 is just too stupid to be taken seriously.

Fallout 3... yeah I see where you're getting at though it does contradict the Marioposa base.
I know it doesn't fit perfectly or anything, but I can do all kinds of mental gymnastics to make Fallout 3 fit happily with everything else in my own little Fallout world.

But Fallout 4 is simply too stupid and lazy to be taken seriously at all. No amount of mental gymnastics is going to fix the idiocracy that that game represents.

I know it doesn't fit perfectly or anything, but I can do all kinds of mental gymnastics to make Fallout 3 fit happily with everything else in my own little Fallout world.

But Fallout 4 is simply too stupid and lazy to be taken seriously at all. No amount of mental gymnastics is going to fix the idiocracy that that game represents.
Why stretch the brain when you can ignore it entirely in your fanon?

Canon: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas (+ All Roads comic)
These are the best games in the Fallout series and are main games in the franchise.

Semi-Canon: Fallout Tactics, Fallout Bible, Cut content, Fallout Van Buren
Some aspects of these works have been implemented into the Fallout setting so these somewhat count. I do have a soft spot for cut content since it allowed me to re-unite Sulik and his sister in Fallout 2 with the Restoration Project installed unlike the vanilla version.

Non-Canon: Fallout Shelter, Fallout BOS, Fallout 3, Fallout 4
Out of desire to preserve the quality of Fallout setting and its writing, I have disregarded these games as canon (even if 3 & 4 are main games)

Last edited:
Canon: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas (+ All Roads comic)
These are the best games in the Fallout series and are main games in the franchise.

Semi-Canon: Fallout Tactics, Fallout Bible, Cut content, Fallout Van Buren
Some aspects of these works have been implemented into the Fallout setting so these somewhat count. I do have a soft spot for cut content since it allowed me to re-unite Sulik and his sister in Fallout 2 with the Restoration Project installed unlike the vanilla version.

Non-Canon: Fallout Shelter, Fallout BOS, Fallout 3, Fallout 4
Out of desire to preserve the quality of Fallout setting and its writing, I have disregarded these games as canon (even if 3 & 4 are main games)
This! I am sure most here will agree with your assessment.

Does anyone have any mods they consider good enough and lore friendly enough to incorporate into your fanon? For example:

Back