Outer Worlds - Massive Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by Atomic Postman, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Half-way Through My Half-life

Nov 26, 2007
    As I understand it —having neither game— Disco Elysium has only two [structured] combat encounters, where as Outer worlds is a player controlled FPS.

2. ResetRPG

ResetRPG Life! Is so hollow...

Dec 16, 2018
    As an LGBTQ+ dude, Fallout New Vegas did gay characters the best out of any video game I've ever played, it felt real, genuine, and not Hyper SJW coddled garbage, or ragingly Homophobic stereotypes by brainlet conservatives. They felt like real people.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  3. ResetRPG

ResetRPG Life! Is so hollow...

Dec 16, 2018
    I still say Outer Worlds is an RPG, albeit fairly simplified, but it was better than most "RPGs" which are just action adventure games with skill trees. Most of your choices had consequence and you could play an actual character.

4. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    That's not the point. In Disco (I take it) the player's freedom with words could not be followed up with bodily assault using weaponry... unlike in The Outer Worlds, which only offered positive dialogs.

5. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    The vibe I get though may be unfair is that Disco Elysium is an excessively interactive CYOA. Which is an RPG in its own right I suppose.

6. SquidVan

SquidVan Literal Vampire Potbelly Goblin

Jun 1, 2018
    People definitely argue about it being a RPG or not. Which is fair. But RPG or not, it's fucking good.

7. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Although it's got excessive choice, you aren't creating a character of your own, correct? It's a pre-defined person, which immediately rules it out as an RPG does it not?

8. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018

Why would creating your character be that defining of the genre? There's more to a RPG than that one freedom. It's sometimes okay to break that freedom too.

9. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    RPG definitions tend to be very blurred, especially in games, but my rule of thumb tends to refer back to tabletop experience since at their core that is what vidya RPGs are emulating. Rolling up/creating a character of your own is a pretty big tentpole of tabletop roleplaying, so I extrapolate that onto video games.

It's by no means the sole crux of defining an RPG, but I find it is a tentpole feature none the less.

10. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    I mean it's a more traditional one but I value character skill being more important than player skill (like using stats and dice rolls to determine outcomes of attempted actions) and a lot of agency in how things are handled even if they are a linear path. Those are far more important to me than creating my own guy. I'd never trade those for creating my own character.

11. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    The sheer amount of autism in this thread is making my head hurt.

12. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    It's alright, you've brought some variety into the mix by adding a dose of retardation too.

I get that, and I also think that's another critical feature. Perhaps I was wrong in my initial statement, thinking about it playing with a pre-fab character is probably a more easily accepted exception then other stuff when it comes to what defines an RPG, but it's one of those things where I think if you're lacking that player character creation aspect you've got to really heavily compensate in the other areas.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  13. SquidVan

Jun 1, 2018
    I’d agree you gotta use that predetermined character to the story’s advantage and do it well.
    :bow:

14. Norzan

Norzan Vault Fossil

Apr 7, 2017
    Christine Royce and Veronica Santangelo are two of my favorite characters in the whole series because how well written they are and their homosexuality is handled the best in my opinion. They are characters that happen to be gay, and not characters that are only defined by their homosexuality.

15. Dragula

Dragula Stormtrooper oTO Orderite

Nov 6, 2008
    Who the fuck cares about the characters sexuality I bet y'all are the same kind of people that play Bioware tripe for the romance options

16. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    * fake outrage *

Reeee!! How dare you! Sexuality is everything!

I know as moderator I should stand above this subject but is just so damn irritates me.

17. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    No. Roleplaying is about playing a role...

But DM's & GMs often assign characters. Planescape was mentioned, but there is the Witcher series as well. So long as the character is understood, and the game reacts to their choices, and conversations... what matters where the a role comes from?

*I will make a character in an RPG if I have to, but I am fine with pre-made PCs.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  18. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    You aren't seriously going to hit me with the Colville argument about how even games like the Last of Us you're roleplaying because you are technically "playing a role"

19. Gizmojunk

Nov 26, 2007
    No. Super Mario is not an RPG.

20. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Then clarify your point, because right now it's the same pointlessly vague definition that people who make that same argument use. Define what makes an RPG.