Shadowrun returns (on kickstarter)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 64171
  • Start date Start date
I meant to back this project but missed the deadline. Frustrates me seeing footage come out that looks so good.

These Kickstarter projects have been looking real solid lately. It will be interesting to see if they can deliver that quality in their actual release.

Shadowrun returns won't be entirely drm-free after all.

As someone that hates Steam as much as all other forms of online DRM's, I'm glad that I was broke when the kickstarter for this was up, not that it makes me any less angry. I think that it's dishonest to no end what they've done.

Alot of the comments on RPS makes me boil with rage aswell, some thickheaded fucks that lurk around there or they're really just trying to push buttons.

All the tier rewards I looked at mentioned "DRM-free", but that is'nt the main problem.

You're not getting full access if you get the DRM-free version from their website; You have to get the Steam version if you want mods or DLC's.

What they've done is similar to Shareware of old - except they charge you full price first and then you have to clamp down on the online DRM dildo that is Steam to get full access to the game.

I see what you mean, but you should not forget that Steam is also a platform to distribute games. And a very popular one to say that. That doesnt mean that I dont agree with you particularly as their part of "beeing honest", they should have simply mentioned Steam from the begining, that simple (in the caes they didnt), because Steam is yeah, well a form of DRM, no matter how "nice" of an platform it is ... but I think honestly there are worse things then Steam out there.

Crni Vuk said:
I see what you mean, but you should not forget that Steam is also a platform to distribute games. And a very popular one to say that. That doesnt mean that I dont agree with you particularly as their part of "beeing honest", they should have simply mentioned Steam from the begining, that simple (in the caes they didnt), because Steam is yeah, well a form of DRM, no matter how "nice" of an platform it is ... but I think honestly there are worse things then Steam out there.

I don't mind them selling through steam, aslong as there is an option not to use it. Now, if you want to get the games DLC's, you're going to have to use Steam.

Not having a choice is a bad, bad thing. And helping Steam get a bigger market share is even worse.

sea said:
Mettle said:
Shadowrun returns won't be entirely drm-free after all.

As someone that hates Steam as much as all other forms of online DRM's, I'm glad that I was broke when the kickstarter for this was up, not that it makes me any less angry. I think that it's dishonest to no end what they've done.

Alot of the comments on RPS makes me boil with rage aswell, some thickheaded fucks that lurk around there or they're really just trying to push buttons.
You do realize that it says right there in the article that there will be a DRM-free version available, but that it simply won't support Steam features, right?
But apparently they'll use the Steam Workshop exclusively for mods and DLC. So if you don't use Steam you might be unable to use mods.

sea said:
You do realize that it says right there in the article that there will be a DRM-free version available, but that it simply won't support Steam features, right?

What Hassknecht says, yeah, and any future DLC's ofcourse.

The people who use Steam are going to end up regretting it one day. It has potential-customer-backstab written all over it.

UniversalWolf said:
The people who use Steam are going to end up regretting it one day. It has potential-customer-backstab written all over it.
Definitely, the digital model has some severe drawbacks. For now, though, I have some faith in the decency of Valve and I hope that they keep it up.
I use Steam and I'm perfectly aware that I could lose my admittedly small library of games, but there really is no reason why Valve should risk their reputation as a somewhat customer-friendly company.
They are the biggest digital platform on PC and they have a reputation to uphold. When EA does evil company stuff, it doesn't hurt them all that much. The fans of their franchises begrudgingly keep buying their games and the rest is not surprised that EA is still a shitty company. But if Valve went on to do serious shit? They'd lose their reputation and loads of new customers. A lot of people shy away from using Origin simply because of EA's reputation.
So yeah, the potential is right there. I don't think Valve is going to abuse their power, but it might happen.

UniversalWolf said:

Uh, and what do you mean with that ... I hate DRM just as much as you do ... but that does sound a lot like some kind of conspiracy shhh, they are out there, plotting, to uhm, kill your computer >_>

Crni Vuk said:
UniversalWolf said:

Uh, and what do you mean with that ... I hate DRM just as much as you do ... but that does sound a lot like some kind of conspiracy shhh, they are out there, plotting, to uhm, kill your computer >_>
I mean someday Microsoft or Sony or somebody worse will buy Steam and then all bets are off. They'll have all the Steam users firmly gripped by the balls. I can see Microsoft now, formulating plans to integrate Steam with xBox for convenient, user-friendly distribution.

I'm looking forward to, say, a modest monthly service fee. It is a service after all, and not just DRM...

While this seems to have moved to a Steam discussion, I just wanted to note that I've received my steam key and am excited for the game to be made active.

This will be the first PC game kickstarter I'll have funded that has completed, so I'm interested to see what kind of precedent it sets.

Back