So, uh, did anyone like it?

alec said:
I feel as if I'm the only "Fallout vet" who wasn't really disappointed.
That said, I am disappointed in a lot of members here who went all "Fuck it, I'm not buying this piece of crap and giving money to Bethesda" two or three months ago but who succumbed to it the minute the game hit the shelves.

Yea, classic bandwagon behavior.

Probably would have saw a HELL of lot more of it too if this forum had the member rating system enabled. :P

BarackSays said:
I've posted this in numerous threads but haven't exactly gotten a response. I feel as if I'm the only "Fallout vet" who wasn't really disappointed. I really did have fun with it, and I'm on my 2nd playthrough now.

Am I alone? Am I "crazy"? Am I *insert adjective here*?

I loved Fallout 1 and 2 as well as Wasteland. Fountain of Dreams and Fallout Tactics were... nice. In a way. I never did play BoS, but by the sound of it I should probably keep it that way. Anyway, my point is that I've been a fan of the genre and the Fallout title for quite a while.

I wasn't "disappointed" per se, but then again I really didn't expect much. I did enjoy FO3, and after finishing the game I'm playing it again. I'm having much more fun with it now that I am ignoring the main quest.

There were a few things about FO3 that I really appreciated. The radio was a great idea, although a bit repetitious. I liked the level of character customization, too. I particularly appreciated the ability to pick different races for your vault dweller. These are some real improvements over the previous games. And, while not necessarily an improvement, the 3D is nice for a change of scenery, even though it has much steeper system requirements that my system is barely able to handle.

The bad stuff has all been mentioned already, so there's no need to get into it. The main quest really just detracts so much from the game, and the NPC/town problems have not been improved on since Oblivion.

I've still had some cool/funny moments, though. For example, I found a lone wastelander walking through the ruins, and I went to talk to him. After rudely telling me to leave him alone, he walked another five steps before getting his head blown off by Sam Warrick, who I proceeded to have a running gun battle with. The bugs can be funny, too; like the time Paladin Hoss and Initiate Pek busted into my Megaton home, took my Fat Man from the friggin' locker, ran out of the town and proceeded to nuke every wild dog and mole rat in sight.

So, I do kind of like FO3, but still feel that it is sorely lacking, and not just because of inconsistencies in the lore. I don't hate it; I can enjoy it. But, I guess I was pretty blown away by Fallout and impressed with the improvements made in Fallout 2 (despite the initial bugs), and I didn't really get that with Fallout 3. It feels like it took one step forward and two steps back. So yeah, I guess you are crazy.

I'm 35hours in the game right now, explored the lower half of the map up till now. Not on the main quest since everyone said it's shit. And waiting for the G.E.C.K. so I can get an ass load of mods (I always do this with Beth's mods), which is great.

Shantih said:
Everyone must be right then? Just listen to the voice of the majority thefalloutfan.

Nah, my mate told me the same thing, without spoiling anything. Of course I'll need to find out myself, but for now, I'll leave it at that (plus I won't be able to continue the game after it finishes).

And the majority isn't always right, but I'd rather believe the majority rather than a couple of people wandering about.

Unless I'm mistaken you're not your mate's clone so perhaps you won't agree on everything.

For the record I'm not even saying the ending is great, all I'm saying is find out for yourself.

Shantih said:
Fallout 3 is not perfect and the hype is a real pain but if you guys were real Fallout veterans you'd remember the disappointment when Fallout 2 got out... Certainly one of the most buggy game ever before the patch was released.

Well at least fallout 2 had some sort of difficulty, a combat system that worked, a unique story and interesting npcs and places which were worth visiting.
Thats the main problem with F3, the bugs are a pain in the ass but would be okay if the game would be otherwise worth playing.

Robbie_Crash said:
Game is great.

Main quest is no worse than the main quest in the first one....
Only if there is something as bad as Nazi General Autumn in the first two Fallout games.

I find myself 'almost' liking the game, I think in my mind its a little separated from fallout, but it has had 90% of my computer games time, and thanks to early mods (level cap 100, skill points work around) I'm actually enjoying the vague wasteland romp that it can be at times.

But just as I begin to console myself and think "hell yeah this isn't all bad" some insanely huge spoil jams itself in my face, craps on my new shirt, points and laughs at me and leaves me stood like the proverbial lemon wondering why the game is still on my laptops screen and I haven't yet thrown the whole thing from the top of a very tall building.

So.. Do I like the game... yeah, enough that I am yet to self mutilate on the hopes that it will ease the unjust pain of the rape that has occurred to a game franchise I once loved.

I thought 3 was fantastic, and definitely a worthy sequel. It does feel very much like the Fallout world. Are there things I would change? Sure, but there are things I would change about Fallout 1 and 2 also. There were bugs, and moments of poor writing, and poor design choices (doctor and first aid are separate skills for what reason again?) in 1 and 2. They aren't holy relics that are perfect in every way either. :P I think it's more than unfair to expect that of Fallout 3.

In fact, I didn't really like 2. I thought it was an even more awkward story than some are making 3 out to be. To me, it just felt like a bigger, longer version of 1 with all the setting excesses they wisely avoided with 1, and a story that hinged on a hokey mcguffin. I'm sorry, folks, but the G.E.C.K. concept has always made me gag. :P

3 has some flaws, but it doesn't make it feel less Fallout-like. Even some of the things that were stupid about Oblivion fit right in here, such as looting everything not nailed down and poking through every box you find for something to eat or barter. The irrelevance of weapon skills, the skill lockouts for the minigames, those are game design issues, not failures to live up to the Fallout setting.

I played through it and enjoyed it thoroughly. I won't be playing through it again for a very long time, if ever...but the first playthrough was great.

PsychicToaster said:
The irrelevance of weapon skills, the skill lockouts for the minigames, those are game design issues, not failures to live up to the Fallout setting.

That's a nice way of reasoning. Can you explain how one precludes the other? If it's a "design issue" it's automatically not a failure to live up to the setting? Why?
The only thing that means is that they didn't follow the setting on purpose. I don't think skills etc have anything to do with the setting per se (wasteland, 50's sci-fi etc), but it definetly has to do with fallout. When I made my charachter in the first games I felt more like I was deciding how to gimp my charachter than what to make him good at, because I knew that no matter what I did, I'd miss a lot of things on my play through, but it would be so much more full of charachter! It's like a different game, because you're playing a different person, not just your-fucking-self over and over if you don't start making shit up in a computer game. I thought that was what roleplaying was all about, but apparently it's not. Just because you are a charachter doesn't mean you have charachter or whatever that douche in Pulp Fiction says.
I had some fun with this game at first, but the more I played the more sick I got with the empty buildings full of ants etc etc, after i talked to the retarded computer I though I had reached 11 on my bad shit-o-meter, but it all culminated in a fountain of barf at the end nevertheless.
I think it's nothing but fair to demand quality games.

i liked the game, but 3 things REALLY bothered me :
1.The main quest was cheesy as HELL ! seriously...the only part i enjoyed was the "Tranquility Lane" quest.
2.The Music was AWFUL !!! this music simply doesn't fit into this game.its not a Fantasy RPG ffs !
3.The Voice Acting...didn't people argue enough about TES Oblivion's Voice acting ? why the hell didn't they fix this problem this time ?
there were other problem's as well but these three come right into my mind when i think about Fallout 3.

When somebody ask me whats most important thing in a game for me i always say story and dialogs. Since this game falls flat on those two things i really didn't enjoy much of it. I could have lived with real time fp combat and game being focused on exploration and not interaction and i could have lived with butchered canon but only if the story and dialogs were decent and they weren't. I knew that Fallout 3 will disappoint me as a Fallout game from day one but i still hoped that it would be a decent rpg, i don't know why i hoped for that since last game Bethesda made was one of the worst rpgs ever made, but still i hoped. At the end i was disappointed as a Fallout fan and a rpg fan.

marko2te said:
When somebody ask me whats most important thing in a game for me i always say story and dialogs. Since this game falls flat on those two things i really didn't enjoy much of it. I could have lived with real time fp combat and game being focused on exploration and not interaction and i could have lived with butchered canon but only if the story and dialogs were decent and they weren't. I knew that Fallout 3 will disappoint me as a Fallout game from day one but i still hoped that it would be a decent rpg, i don't know why i hoped for that since last game Bethesda made was one of the worst rpgs ever made, but still i hoped. At the end i was disappointed as a Fallout fan and a rpg fan.

Yes I know what you mean. From either side you look on it it is dissapointing. Even if one would forget about Fallout as whole for a min. and that should be possible Fallout 3 still has not that much of a value when it comes to role playing. I mean yes ... frankly compared to games they released this year ... its awesome. But its easy to score the first place when you have no real competition. But I just had a lot of trouble to enjoy the game as real RPG considering the very limited effect you have with your choices in the game. Thankefully I had not to buy the game since a good friend allowd me to play with his game. Maybe when with time betterm mods at least change the aspect of Role Playing I might definetly change my mind in that (Yes I am talking about you Gizmo! :mrgreen: ) and get it somewhere from E-bay

As a console game it is fine. As a fallout sequel it is a failure. I waited 10 years and this was an epic disappointment and not the game I wanted.

I wouldn't have griped about it , it looked the somewhat same and it smelled somewhat same. Really would have depended on the game itself. The problems is, we haven't gotten to play the finished game, as it never happened. Hard to determine how it would have played, how the dialogue would have been, how the story would have progressed etc.

But, as fallout 3 is in this reality, it is bad sequel, okay game otherwise. I got some small fun out of it, but the fun was negated by the fact that the game was bad as a Fallout game and a sequel.

Corvin said:
I still think most of the haters would've griped about Van Buren too.

If they made a bad game i would bitch, same as i bitch about F3. Even the best/favorite games in my book doesn't get more then 90% in my opinion. There is no such thing as perfect game and every game has flaws. The only way for industry to truly evolve is to point to mistakes and fix them and not to pretend that they don't exist or say "hey similar flaws were in older games so its ok".

Back