So why did Chris want the wasteland nuked in lonesome road at the end of it?

Tbh I like that explanation. And considering that most people on this site consider NV the last one, I suppose in a way he got his wish.

And considering that most people on this site consider NV the last one

The way I see it, there is no way you can do a new Fallout game set in the West Coast without doing retcon, most of the actions you take have a big effect on the long run. First time I played Lonesome Road I though Ulysses wanted to bomb just Dry Wells and Long 15 but he actually wants to bomb the whole NCR mainland and those areas are just the places you can access from the mojave, the actual impact is way bigger.

Exactly. And if they retcon NV? OHHOHO even people who aren't on this site will likely be pissed. Bethesda nailed their own coffin with 70shit, I can only imagine the... heh... Fallout... if they try to retcon most fans' favorite (alongside the originals, depending on demographic).

But yeah, the implications of Ulysses' (and by extension the Courier's) actions include the crippling of the two major Western powers, which also lends credence to a canon House ending, loath as I am to admit it.

I always wanted the series to move East once civilization had recovered after Fallout 1 and 2 (and NV), each game set on a new frontier that is still chaotic or divided.
Or in a complete new region though I would like it if Ghouls and Super Mutants could appear without another source of FEV being involved (the Super Mutants being migrants from the West), so probably set some time after Fallout 1.

I always wanted the series to move East once civilization had recovered after Fallout 1 and 2 (and NV), each game set on a new frontier that is still chaotic or divided.
Or in a complete new region though I would like it if Ghouls and Super Mutants could appear without another source of FEV being involved (the Super Mutants being migrants from the West), so probably set some time after Fallout 1.
A game that takes place in between 1 and 2 would certainly be fascinating, I just don't trust Bethesda to pull it off. But what the Hell, I've been wrong before I suppose.

Well not in the Core region, another place that is close by such as Colorado or Arizona or New Mexico which Fallout Resurrection and Fallout Sonora are using as backdrops.

That could honestly be done very well. Something that could also be utilized well, and yes I'm biased, is a game charting the rise of Caesar's Legion. I think a Tactics-esque game with that backdrop, properly executed, could be a fascinating look at NV's underdeveloped bad guys.

The problem with it no longer being post-apocalyptic is because of the big ass time jumps. Fallout 1 is 80 years after the war, Fallout 2 is 80 years after that, and with Van Buren the time skips start to cool down a bit but still. After you beat a fallout game, you probably want to experience the "fallout" of your actions, so you probably want to see the next game be set further in the continuity. I don't think you need to set each game 9999 years apart, just one or two years later is enough for me honestly.

And of course you can just leave the future to our imagination and make games that take place closer to the nukes.

But I think each DLC introducing a new, expansive, threat is the best way to keep the apocalyptic feel, although we don't 50 more things to cause a threat for the whole world each game. I say, introduce more environmental hazards, more people like the enclave who are technologically developed assholes, and maybe some new monsters that pose a threat to everyone. And they could even say "fuck it" and just add something similar to a zombie virus, sure it'd be kinda fucking stupid.... yeah.

The point is, like Chris, I do want to see what happens after each game, but I also want to keep the apocalyptic feel.

The problem with it no longer being post-apocalyptic is because of the big ass time jumps. Fallout 1 is 80 years after the war, Fallout 2 is 80 years after that, and with Van Buren the time skips start to cool down a bit but still. After you beat a fallout game, you probably want to experience the "fallout" of your actions, so you probably want to see the next game be set further in the continuity. I don't think you need to set each game 9999 years apart, just one or two years later is enough for me honestly.

And of course you can just leave the future to our imagination and make games that take place closer to the nukes.

But I think each DLC introducing a new, expansive, threat is the best way to keep the apocalyptic feel, although we don't 50 more things to cause a threat for the whole world each game. I say, introduce more environmental hazards, more people like the enclave who are technologically developed assholes, and maybe some new monsters that pose a threat to everyone. And they could even say "fuck it" and just add something similar to a zombie virus, sure it'd be kinda fucking stupid.... yeah.

The point is, like Chris, I do want to see what happens after each game, but I also want to keep the apocalyptic feel.

Then that's an inherently self-destructive bit of advice. You can't keep progressing into the future and maintain the pulp post-nuclear feel without getting caught in the Bethesda trap of the setting becoming a stagnant "Things we know" themepark. Like I said in an earlier post, in terms of concequences I am supremely happy with New Vegas being the stop point for the West Coast.

The earlier timeline needs to be explored to preserve, reasonably, the post-apoc feel when exploring new locations. Having a game set in Texas where it's a "White Line Nightmare" of Raider Warlords on oil-rig fortresses and gas-station castles would be perfect for 2145, but in 2285 it seems a little bit out of place.

The whole nuke idea I felt was a tad... too far.
It would be interesting to nuke everything again, but I feel it'll become a bit redundant the second time around.

Personally, I found Tim Cain's idea far more interesting, that eventually the folks of the Waste would explore Space. We eventually got that with Outer Worlds (which is just Tim Cain's Fallout 2 at this point), yet I would have liked to have seen it with the Fallout Lore.

I'm sure I've said this before, but both ideas could work in conjunction with each other. We get a second Space Race going but between the different Factions in the Wasteland. Maybe the BOS are the ones to achieve Space Travel through the technologies they found with the Enclave and the NCR are against the use of it, believing they are building some kind of Weapon. There's a games worth of ideas there where you could be a strategic manipulator and get the NCR to essentially nuke the BOS or vice versa.

But I'm getting ahead of myself and just throwing out ideas that would never be used.
Instead we'll get the dull grey death that is Fallout 5.

Hmm I think it would be more likely that the NCR, or a successor to it like for example various governments throughout the North American continent that come together to form a new United States centuries in the future would support and fund a space program using recovered pre war knowledge and technology to build on than the BOS.

I don't think the BOS are the types who would really support a space program, they are too weak for it and would probably just prefer to hoard technology in their bunkers.

Edit: even at full strength they would probably not support a space program unless their intention was to take the entire organization off planet, leaving it to the "inferiors" or "unworthy".
I like like Veronca says in FNV that the BOS still has the believe that everyone else outside themselves will go extinct anyway, leaving the BOS to inherit the world.

A NCR in which the technology the BOS has been guarding is slowly being reintroduced like suggested in Fallout 1's possible endings might consider a limited space program. Not necessarily putting a man back in space again (yet) but definitely trying to get any remaining satellites working again or launch new satellites of their own for communication (and intelligence gathering) using tech recovered from places like Vandenberg and REPCONN.

I would not have minded if the Outer Worlds has been advertised as an unofficial sequel to Fallout set many centuries in the future after Fallout in which mankind has recovered from the nuclear war and has rebuilt civilization on Earth, perhaps giving rise to new nations that once again compete with another.
Or the idea someone suggested of a future based on if the player supported House during Fallout New Vegas. (even if that could not directly be mentioned in the manual)
And with a need for new resources and territory to colonize humanity has expanded into the Solar System and eventually across the stars after stardrive technology was developed.

Of course the content of the Outer Worlds would not automatically become better of that but that is a topic of its own.

As for Fallout itself, rather than resetting the setting or keep it in some sort of stasis/perpetual crapsack I think the period between after the War until the moment civilization has recovered to much to even call the setting Post-Post Apocalyptic should be explored more in other regions.

But this is all "It could have been" wishing :(

The BoS would not support a space program...until Bethesda. Now with the joint BoS/Enclave Alliance anything can happen.

Whatever it is I am sure many people here will buy limited edition copies and act like they don't play it.

:smugoticon:

Just to add to my prior comment, I was just using BoS as an example. I'm more throwing out ideas.

I think a space option is on the table but it would need to be some faction we never heard of to pull off. I still think they will put the Enclave on the moon.

Probably.

One of the ideas that has been thrown around in the past or perhaps that I had suggested it was something akin to the original "Planet of the Apes"; basically a spaceship had already left Earth right before the war and due to time dilation and hibernation technology the spaceship returns centuries in the future and its crew finds Earth in ruins.

Perhaps it could have been like this. The player is a crew member (or a colonist, this explaining low IQ player characters) of the said ship that has returned to Earth after a mission of exploration (to find a habitable planet or go to Mars) or a failed colonization mission (Mars colony failed or there was no suitable planet in the Alpha Centauri system), the crew (and colonists) wake up and find that they are back in orbit around Earth and according to the ship's internal log for some time now.
One of the cryo pods is empty, the one of the captain or the science officer and one of the shuttles or landing pods has been launched.

The player has been chosen to go after where the captain or science officer went and find out why he or she left the ship (perhaps he or she made the ship turn around during the journey) while at the same time determining the status of Earth and if the rest of the crew (and colonists) can return return to the surface.

In the end its the crew (and colonists) that threaten the survivors in the game region and the rest of the planet, thinking that the planet is a hellhole due to the various competing factions/governments, raiders, and mutants, and want to use the ship's fusion drive to wipe the region clean or launch terraform bombs (GECK bombs) the ship was carrying (it is unfortunate that it will kill everyone and everything that is already there but it will help restore the planet's environment and give crew, colonists, and survivors a better chance to rebuild).

Of course it could also be a space colony/colony on the moon but these people would have been so altered by the conditions in space such as the lower gravity or lack of gravity that they would not be able to survive on Earth (so no reason to want to reclaim it)

These are all of course tropes and I am not saying that they are any good.

If we go with any faction on Earth that wants to go into space I feel there needs to be a good reason for it and that it should be an important quest or perhaps even part of the storyline and not something thrown in on the side. (so no Mothershit Zeta nonsense)

I definitely had something like that; Vault Dwellers who wanted to use the Enclave's starship to leave Earth and start over again on another planet.
Only drawback to their plan was that if they used the ship's main engine in Earth's atmosphere that it would wipe out anything underneath its fusion flame and cause severe damage to the atmosphere itself, condemning everyone on the planet to a slow death. (the ship was suppose to have conventional trusters but those were never installed due to the war happening)

No way in hell would I trust Bethesda to come up with a good storyline and campaign using this concept.
Most likely Enclave on the moon who want to nuke Earth again.

Oh wait and before I forget, an alternative would be that Bethesda has a story in which the Fallout Earth is being invaded by aliens and the player must go into space to destroy their mothership.

I'm pretty sure at least us two have had this discussion a long time ago. I did talk about a Fallout mod on the moon. I don't feel like reading my younger more retarded self come up with ideas though, so I will not look.

Yeah we have talked about this topic a lot many years ago and there is probably no point to bring up again. Lets just leave this discussion.

I would definitely like to see a couple more "true" Fallout games but I think a RPG set in space should be a new IP.
I would like to see something inspired by but not necessarily based upon Larry Niven's Known Space; a future in which man neither rules nor is ruled, mankind has many colonies with unique cultures, and travel between the stars is common.

I have toted a Space Fallout before; such as Chinese and American Lunar Bases. The problem is of course - where are they by 2281? Does that mean the game has to take place in 2100? And the outcome basically becomes 'We will watch and wait', 'We will leave', or 'We die together' here on this rock. But still I'll fucking love a game on the Moon with Fallout's Universe for some reason. Add some Euros and some Indians and some Africans and Arabians and LatAms as well, make it sorta like Lunar Risk or w/e.

Back