Starfield

Are you going to be a Bethesdafag?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • No.

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • I am a hypocrite.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I like to whine a lot about things I am the reason for sucking.

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
KEK

J9ZGaKt.jpg

"It comes as Starfield fails to receive a nomination for Game of the Year at this year's The Game Awards."

Hilarious because i recall earlier this year at some show Geoff Keighley (the executive producter of the game awards) claimed he had early access to Starfield and thus already had played it and he said that to seemingly make the crowd jealous. Now the game has less players than a game that came out in 2011 and it's not nominated for GOTY, really damn funny.

So sales weren't all that great, the reception is geting more and more tepid and the game isn't getting nominated for the GOTY award.

Feels quite nice to be validated, even if a blind and deaf monkey could tell the game was going to suck. I mean, how someone could get excited for anything Bethesda related after fucking Fallout 76 is beyond me because a game of that quality is usually enough to send a company's reputation through the ground, and yet a lot of people were excited for Starfield.

Ya know, for how busted Fallout 76 and to some degree still is, I can see people scratching that itch of playing with their dollhouse and smashing things while in power armor. I can't think of anything Starfield could have on people other than playing with their space legos after fuck huge grind or as a coping mechanism over spending money on a product that is nothing more than a load screen generator.

I can see people scratching that itch of playing with their dollhouse and smashing things while in power armor.
The thing is those weren't enough and it wasn't just the lack of npcs. The shitty writing, no matter how total trash it was (and it is), gave the player basic goals and a general storyline for them to follow. People saying they ignore the writing are full of shit, the writing is what drives the player forward and Fallout 76 at release lacked that since most of the quests were completely disconnected from each other.

Starfield is so bad that not even the shitty writing can drive even the most die hard of bethesda fans forward. So they fuck up with no npcs and also do it with npcs.

I won't be surprised if some Bethesda fans think Fallout 76 is better than Starfield.

Well if you go by the metric of doing something no matter how menial and unsophisticated it is being greater than doing nothing at all. F76 is by the measurement the better game.

The Grugs like their F76. They get to play dress up as a interior decorator who smashes things while in big suits of power armor.

...after fucking Fallout 76...
To be fair Fallout 76 wasn't developed by Bethesda proper and was basically just a cashcow rework shat out from Fallout 4's assets.
So I can understand why people would assume that Starfield should be better than F76.
The hilarious part is that Fallout 76 which is just a cashcow rework shat out from Fallout 4's assets to prop up the numbers for Microsofts acquisition is a better game than Starfield is.

To be fair Fallout 76 wasn't developed by Bethesda proper
Except it was, it's just that for some reason they asked for help from a bunch of different studios. And regardless, Bethesda thought the game was good enough to be released for mass consumption, so it shows just how low their standards are to the point they had no qualms about putting their brand name all over it and promoting it at events like E3. So to be genuinely excited for anything Bethesda related after that is just ridiculous.

The Grugs like their F76.
They really don't. Fallout 4 has a higher player count and that game is three years older. Fallout 76 was bad to a point even a ton of the die-hard Bethesda fanboys didn't like it and the low player count and overall sales shows that. So again, no, they didn't liked it.

Last edited:
Bruh, things just keep getting worse for Starfield, the fact that they even replied with that! Is just flipping astonishing.

What a way to reply to negative reviews on Steam huh?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :ok: :roffle:

I think it's pathetic.
Makes me wanna go read more negative starfield reviews tho :D

*quick look on steam*

2023-11-29 20.42.16 store.steampowered.com 1c86361fcf1f.png

HAHAHAHAHA
Fuck 'em.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[edit]

Unsuccessful+lobster+empty_23a6ff_11109723.jpg

Last edited:
Got the game on Gamepass for Xbox X. My honest thoughts after about 40 - 50 hours:

1) I still don't know what the main story is about. The mcguffin is an 'artifact' that makes you pass out when you pick it up. Not sold on why that's significant in any way, and finding the artifacts again and again is not moving the plot at all. I'm not sure what this particular plot is even supposed to be tbh. They keep saying how amazing it is that the artifacts are spinning when put together, in a world where you can teleport across space via 'metastable wormholes'.

The main threat to deal with I guess is the terrormorphs, who are a genetically altered species once used as a weapon, and now there is an uptick in their encounters. Again, so what? What makes me, a random miner, better qualified to deal with this than the space army that has handled it once already? I don't know why I'm doing anything at this point. If this is supposed to be the hook, contrast it with the mysterious, otherworldly, unstoppable reapers of Mass Effect who have wiped out a super advanced ancient civilization before. Now that's a setup for a proper space opera.

2) The 'NASA punk' style has a unique sound to it but is extremely bland tbh. It could be a good setting for a gritty and 'real' type of experience with a heavy emphasis on survival or a very indepth exploration. But in a super video-gamey type of setting with all of Bethesda's typical silliness, the style just feels extremely uninteresting. It's sort of like if you made a cyberpunk game but the tech is all real life, with the apple laptops, and the keyboard and mouse, and the internet.

3) The writing is of course horrendous. Even for Bethesda. It might have something to do with the bland setting but I find myself not caring about anything anyone says. Doe snot help that not a SINGLE NPC is interesting. Everyone is naive, hopeful, and whimsical. Take a 'future LA' character from Demolition Man, and strip away all the humor, and you get Starfield NPCs.

Not a single conversation is engaging or natural and that becomes painfully clear when you try a romance route. It's the most forced, cringey thing ever. I've barely interacted with my follower and then randomly had an option to tell her that I was IN LOVE with her. Trying the option made her want to think about things because, you know, it's all so deep. But the next time I said it, she was on cloud nine and immediately started talking about our wedding.

4) Exploration is bad. I've visited a bunch of planets and I don't remember anything unique about a single one. You either get a lush jungle or a wasteland with the same rocks spread out evenly across the plain, some of which are producing the same smoke. This includes earth btw, where you will not find as much as a pile of rubble. And you know why? Because earth has lost its atmosphere. Somehow that makes everything humans ever made turn into literal dust.

Also, I'm supposed to accept that each alien planet has a maximum of five TOTAL living species, some of which are the size of a horse, and the same variation in flora. How does that happen?

The worst part here, and the reason this sucks in comparison to the Elder Scrolls (which I enjoy), is that there is nothing of significance to stumble across here. In Skyrim, any given location might have some sort of a story associated with it, whether its a quest or even a simple piece of lore. For example, a random cave may contain a tomb of some warrior mentioned in some book, a random ruin may be referenced in some historical event. There is nothing of that sort here. All I've found in terms of random locations were identical labs with identical pirates inside.

5) The creation engine. Honestly, I think that it is the least of the game's problems. It does its job. There is a decent number of interiors that you can enter without a loading screen. Controlling ships in space feels surprisingly smooth and weighty. Gunplay feels good. The NPC's that you can talk to look decent.

However, the unnamed NPC's look downright unintentionally scary. Not exaggerating here. Come up to one when its dark and see if you don't shit yourself when they turn around. The animations are overall straight from Oblivion, with some actions just embarrassing today (eating, sleeping looks like ass). And yea, there is still a ton of loading, you still can't have a land vehicle, and you can't seamlessly land on or depart from anywhere.

6) Gameplay is smooth imo but extremely simplistic and gets old almost immediately. This is true for both space and gun combat. Generally, there is very little flying, since you can simply teleport anywhere from anywhere, which I don't mind actually. It's very convenient but don't pretend this is an exploration game.

BTW, both ship weapons and guns are all pretty basic and I'm still not sure what the difference is between laser and ballistic weapons. The perks from rares are all boring as hell too.

The systems that they have here like weapon customization and outpost building are less detailed that those in Fallout 4. For example, you cannot remove a mod from a gun that you find and place it on your own gun of the same model. Yet, you can manufacture the said mod if you have the ingredients. Does that make any sense? Outpost stuff is very restrictive and confusing with a lot fewer options than Fallout 4 as well (you can build fewer things, you cannot have stores or clinics or have people in them).

7) RPG stuff is hit and miss. I actually like the character point system where you have some requirements before you can add another point to a skill. It makes each skill feel more earned.

The skills themselves are not very exciting though, most are just gating you from doing things (or from buying things, which makes no sense), rather than awarding you with something new.

There have been several instances where my choices have had real consequences both small and relatively significant, but I generally do not have a constant sense that my choices matter because most of them do not. At all.

Overall, I don't know what to make of this game. In most ways, it's objectively half-assed, while at the same time missing that charm of the Elder Scrolls, where I could listen to the amazing music and immerse myself in the world with a pretty rich lore. Starfield has no lore and no world that I want to be in, or any sort of appealing atmosphere, and the music sucks btw. I don't care about anything or anyone. I genuinely don't want to help anyone in the game.

BUT I am still playing it though. Probably because I'm hoping to find something good, whether it be a quest or some sort of a unique location. One attractive aspect of the Bethesda formula is that they always have a promise of possibly maybe hiding something cool somewhere but I have not found it so far.

And I am somewhat enjoying playing with the dollhouse (building and decorating ships and outpost).

Last edited:
Back