Th4if no more.

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by generalissimofurioso, Mar 5, 2013.

1. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
  2. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    Please tell me that title is a hint at Faith No More.

But yeah, cool news. I never played the old Thief games but am a huge fan of that type of gameplay. I will certainly keep my eye on this.

3. generalissimofurioso

Jun 17, 2007
    Both that and the fact that all of the previous info on the new Thief game had a big four replacing the E in Thief which made it look awful.

4. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm fine with it being a reboot, but I still think they could maintain the previous continuity while do so. I certainly hope so, there was a lot of good storytelling in the first three games. It'd be a shame to just ignore it. :(

Either way, really looking forward to this. :D

5. FearMonkey

FearMonkey Vault Senior Citizen

Oct 12, 2011
    FYI, there was stealth patch to Thief II back in September (also works with Thief 1!!!) that I missed the existence of. Now that I found it I am applying it now and going to play through Thief Gold and Thief II.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140085

6. Nark

Nark Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Dec 6, 2008

So... they're remaking Dishonored?

7. generalissimofurioso

Jun 17, 2007
    Wasn't Dishonored basically Thief with more magic?

8. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    Thief had a different style to speak so. A lot more medieval.

9. generalissimofurioso

Jun 17, 2007
    Now that I remember.

But basically, I think this is going to be a Deus Ex situation where we end up having a different visual style simply because it's been so long between entries.

From the information in the Game Informer issue, it looks like it's staying really faithful to the series.

What I remember:

1) It never shifts from first-person view
    2) There's an emphasis on evasion than just sneaking up behind people and killing them/knocking them out
    3) You can see Garrett's fingerprints because the models are so detailed.

10. aenemic

aenemic Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Jun 4, 2008
    Meh, Dishonored was fun but still felt too linear most of the time. I liked how the game took into account how many people you killed and how you dealt with your marks, but the levels were often too streamlined. Going from one place to another with two or three possible routes doesn't cut it (most of the time there weren't even different paths to your objective). I hope Thief does a better job at this. And I hope there's no magic or supernatural powers, a stealth game solely based on being clever and being quiet would be a nice change.

11. Stanislao Moulinsky

Stanislao Moulinsky Vault Fossil

Jul 16, 2009
    Oh man, I completely forgot about this. How long ago was Thi4f announced anyway? :S

12. Multidirectional

Multidirectional Mildly Dipped

Sep 12, 2008
    Actually I think it's a good idea to just completely reboot it and make it as a separate series, including story, because there's practically no way new Thief will stay close enough to original games anyway. Different developers, different times and different gaming industry. I just hope this new Thief game (or series) will be fun on its own.

13. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf eaten by a grue.

Aug 28, 2005
    That's one of the reasons Thief 1 is still so good. Your character stinks at combat and never improves. If you get in a fight the best solution is to run away and hide.

14. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    yeah, I hope they focus on that and remember what made the Thief games awesome and special. I dont think people would want some kind of Dishonored 2 with the Thief games.

I guess its to early to say something. Have to wait for more informations.

15. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope for a different protagonist, rather than rehashing Garrett. His story came full circle in TDS, where he accepts his duty and destiny as a Keeper.

Hell, the ending of TDS explicitly shows his new protege.

16. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
  17. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
    Interest level: ----> 0

18. SmartCheetah

SmartCheetah It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 23, 2009
    Derp. Here it comes. My beloved game franchise is being totally ruined. Well, gotta pretend that Thief ended on mediocre Deadly Shadows. ;3

19. Tagaziel

Dec 10, 2003
    Storywise, it is great (not to mention The Shalebridge Cradle).

20. WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver But best title ever!

May 28, 2010