The Guns and Ammo Thread

you cant really compare a Rem 700 boltaction and an AR10... they arent fulfilling the same role at all.

SuAside said:
you cant really compare a Rem 700 boltaction and an AR10... they arent fulfilling the same role at all.

Well the accuracy is certainly there.

Edit: Well I suppose it's not the same specific role because you'd be more likely to use an AR10 closer in than a bolt gun and not anywhere past 900m or so. I guess this setup would be sort of a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) but that is suppose to mean 300-600m still. Therefore, since it could be easily employed past 600m I consider it to pretty close the same role. US law enforcement uses DPMS LR-308s with the same role in mind as their bolt guns, but chances are they don't engage past 150 yards or so, ever, in which case it's a proven law enforcement rifle which is a totally different thing. And the Army, Marines, and SEALs use Mk11 rifles for pretty much the same thing.

And I plan on doing a lot of shooting at 100y and 200y. And definately out to about 500-600y also, so in that case an accurate AR10 type platform is the order.

No guns, (strict gun laws here in Belgium) I used to collect swords and knives in general though, the only pistol I have is almost 200 hundred years old. (I think I might loose my hand if I tried firing it...)

verwandlung said:
No guns, (strict gun laws here in Belgium)
annoyingly so...

but i guess still better than the UK etc.

costly, time intensive, lots of red tape, lots of restrictions...

verwandlung said:
No guns, (strict gun laws here in Belgium) I used to collect swords and knives in general though, the only pistol I have is almost 200 hundred years old. (I think I might loose my hand if I tried firing it...)

Thats what the black market is for :P Seriously though that sucks. But in that case bows work pretty well too. :boy:

:edit:
Anyone know anything about the laws regarding building weapons from scratch in the US. I read the atf document on building fully automatic weapons, not so sure on stuff like pipe rifles and such

No idea, but it's a good question.

I have this feeling that it's illegal. Call it a hunch. Illegal until you pay them, at least.

Ah-Teen said:
:edit:
Anyone know anything about the laws regarding building weapons from scratch in the US. I read the atf document on building fully automatic weapons, not so sure on stuff like pipe rifles and such
i believe some parts need to be numbered & receive special licensing or something from the ATF. like the receiver iirc.

SuAside said:
costly, time intensive, lots of red tape, lots of restrictions...

Getting to be kind of like that here too. :(

SuAside said:
i believe some parts need to be numbered & receive special licensing or something from the ATF. like the receiver iirc.

Yeah, you need an FFL to order receivers and cartridge firearms manufactured after 1898. Black powder muzzleloaders (hawkens, Navy revolvers, walkers etc.) aren't even considered *real* guns.

I am studying to become a forester, when I become one (would be my secondary job)
I will have the permit to buy hunting weapons , I am thinking about a Beretta Silver Hawk. I am a sucker for side bide side shotguns and I really like the 'classic' design of this weapon...

http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=74&idc=1&ids=40

Anyone here who has experience with this gun?
Would you recommend it? What would be a good alternative?

thanks!

I would say rather oppressive.
Since there was an incident last year (a skinhead went into a store bought a hunting rifle and randomly shot a couple of people because 'they where non white' ) gun laws have become even more strict here.

-automatic firearms are (still) strictly prohibited
-revolvers, pistols require permit and can only be fired at a shooting range, must be kept unloaded in a safe at home.
->permit can only be acquired by certain people (like jewelers)
-hunting rifles can only be bought when you have a hunting license.

article about the shootings http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/1065

the shooter used a .22 rifle, which was at the time considered a gun freely available without license because people used it to shoot rats and stuff. all calibers above that required a license.

as fallout of that event, now every weapon needs a license (except if you have a hunting license (which only covers hunting arms obviously) or if you have a competition shooter license (which only covers very few weapons used in competition, the list is pretty restricted)). anyway, you need to take a theoretical and practical exam, be member of a gunclub and renew your license (PER FIREARM) every 5 years at the cost of 65 euros.

ironic, since guns like a Mosin Nagant cost you like 120-200 euros? so in the end, the licensing costs will weigh heavier than the cost of the weapon...

added to that, we've got a shitload of bullshit laws. traveling to and from the gunclub must be in a straight line, with the weapon locked in a case, with the ammo and magazines locked in a second seperate compartment.

you also cant take your weapon into your yard. this would be handy if it was allowed, since gunoil stinks like fuck. it'd be handy if i could strip & clean my weapon on my terras. no, instead i have to stink up the house.
verwandlung said:
-revolvers, pistols require permit and can only be fired at a shooting range, must be kept unloaded in a safe at home.
well, or in a locked box with a triggerlock. a safe isnt legally required, but highly 'recommended'.
verwandlung said:
->permit can only be acquired by certain people (like jewelers)
that's not true. that's for a carry license.

only judges, private detectives, people the received deaththreats, jewelers etc that can get those

pistols can be bought under a normal license.
verwandlung said:
-hunting rifles can only be bought when you have a hunting license.
not really. you can buy a hunting rifle outside the hunting license, but you still have to get a license for it. of course, with that license you can only shoot at a gunclub, not in that woods.

SuAside said:
... with the weapon locked in a case, with the ammo and magazines locked in a second seperate compartment...

Sounds kinda like the Fascist California laws here.

you also cant take your weapon into your yard. this would be handy if it was allowed, since gunoil stinks like fuck. it'd be handy if i could strip & clean my weapon on my terras. no, instead i have to stink up the house.

I rather enjoy the smell of Hoppe's #9 and WD40 myself.:) Although when you clean a black powder rifle/pistol (even if you've been using Pyrodex), it's not something to enjoy or look forward to.

Black powder here requires no paperwork and can be traded and sold freely, since they're so obsolete nobody really cares (until someone ruins it for the rest of us). Not sure how your laws are for muzzleloaders though.

black powder requires a license.

the only loophole there is atm is that airrifles aren't licensed (yet). and i'm obviously not talking about crappy airsoft, but stuff like Quackenbush air rifles capable of killing a bizon.

Back