The Guns and Ammo Thread

SuAside said:
Ah-Teen said:
Must be hard to lay down with that thing sticking out down there. You'd have to bend it.
euhm, what?

bend a magazine?

surely that'll work... it's not as if it needs to feed flawlessly, right?

Umm no, I was making sexual comments on that huge ass magazine.

But in other news, I got myself an Chinese sks that takes ak mags rather than that shitty internal business.

internal magazines arent "shitty". they just happened to be a step in ze evolution.

that said, why bother putting a 30 round mag in an SKS?

Not so much that I have 30 rounds of kick ass, but that I can detach said magazine. Safely load and unload it. Quickly swap out for a new one.

They are shitty in that I don't like them. Nothing to do with how well they work.

I've an SKS as well (yugoslav) and the thing works just great with stripper clips. In fact I'd say that reloading is probably about the same speed as with a traditional magazine. I don't mind them. And of course the Yugo is solid as a rock. Haha. Heavy as one too, Yugo's had to build them twice as heavy for all the crappy ammo they were shooting out of them.

Yes, I'm performing a major exercise in grave digging. However, I felt it would be better to resurrect this thread than to make a new one just to ask my question. If I'm wrong, feel free to slap me and/or split this off into its own thread.

So, basically, I just went shooting for the first time. A couple friends and I went into the desert and fired a dozen or so rounds (each) with a shotgun. It was, well, fun. Renewed my interest in firearms. Also, you don't respect just how serious and dangerous a firearm is until you've actually fired one, I must say.

My question is: what would be a good starter handgun for a newbie? I've had my eye on the FN Five-Seven for a long time now, but it's not the cheapest gun and it's probably not the best starter in any case. Any suggestions?

I intend to build up an arsenal in a few years, with shotguns, pistols, rifles and if I can get my hands on it, a fully automatic gun.For self defense, of course.

jeremy202 said:
I intend to build up an arsenal in a few years, with shotguns, pistols, rifles and if I can get my hands on it, a fully automatic gun.For self defense, of course.

You must be
1. American
or
2. joking

Hey, SuAside - didn't you just get a new gun? How about some pics? :)

Kyuu said:
Yes, I'm performing a major exercise in grave digging. However, I felt it would be better to resurrect this thread than to make a new one just to ask my question. If I'm wrong, feel free to slap me and/or split this off into its own thread.

So, basically, I just went shooting for the first time. A couple friends and I went into the desert and fired a dozen or so rounds (each) with a shotgun. It was, well, fun. Renewed my interest in firearms. Also, you don't respect just how serious and dangerous a firearm is until you've actually fired one, I must say.

My question is: what would be a good starter handgun for a newbie? I've had my eye on the FN Five-Seven for a long time now, but it's not the cheapest gun and it's probably not the best starter in any case. Any suggestions?

My suggestion, go to a range that rents guns. It wil cost you but it's worth it.

Also consider what you are going to use it for. If your just getting it for the fancy of having a particular gun you like, it doesn't really matter. If your plinking, I'd suggest a 22. If your getting it as a carry gun, DO THY FUCKING HOMEWORK.

Personally I'm getting an Springfield Armory XD in .45 acp with the longest barrel I can find.

Daimyo said:
Hey, SuAside - didn't you just get a new gun? How about some pics? :)
i'll try to remember to take some pics saturday.

the new gun is at the range, since it requires a (seperate) permit and getting a permit here takes a whole (between 2 weeks and 6 months...).
but i don't mind the usual red tape that much, since i have it in my locker at the gunclub and i can go shoot it any time i want (and since i don't get to clean it at home, i get to use the range's cleaning supplies for free. hehe). not that i wont take it home right away when i get the permit though!

it's a Sig Sauer X-Five AL Field Grade (without the wooden grips and the extended magwell). great pistol. shoots astronomically better than i do anyway.

Kyuu said:
shotguns are great fun, indeed. i'm also glad to hear you realise how it is NOT a toy and that it is a dangerous sport that requires your constant attention.
Kyuu said:
the FN Five-seveN is not the easiest gun to pick. it also uses quite expensive ammo.

i'd say you best start off with a combo of .22LR and 9mm. .22LR is great for practise due to how cheap it is and 9mm feels more like a 'real' gun without spending too much cash.

basic choices for .22LR pistols are:
- Ruger MkI / MkII / MkIII (bull barrel versions pref): good all-around.
- Browning Buckmark: good all-around.
- Beretta Neos: decent plinker.

if you're willing to spend some extra money, you could consider:
- S&W41
- Beretta 87 Target

for price minded 9x19mm pistols:
- CZ 75 SP-01 "Shadow" (dont forget the Shadow part): one of the best price/quality guns around. cheap, but suited for IPSC if you ever want to.
- Glock / Springfield XD: reliable 'work' guns, but i never liked the trigger much.

but you should really try to find what YOU like and what YOU want. personally, i dislike Glocks, but hey, maybe you love them. Glocks can be great guns, but they're just not my thing. doesn't mean they wont work for you though.

anyway, do your homework on these and don't listen to half the stuff people say at the range. much of it is bullshit. the art is to see the good advice between all that nonsense.

Ah-Teen said:
My suggestion, go to a range that rents guns. It wil cost you but it's worth it.
try to find a range that lets you bring your own ammo when you rent guns. many ranges in the US let you rent the guns cheap, but force you to buy expensive shitass ammo.

also try to find a range with a nice community/club around it. a good start would also be one of those NRA initiation courses, i suppose.

Ah-Teen said:
Also consider what you are going to use it for. If your just getting it for the fancy of having a particular gun you like, it doesn't really matter. If your plinking, I'd suggest a 22. If your getting it as a carry gun, DO THY FUCKING HOMEWORK.
thinking of CCW before you can actually handle a gun is just fucking stupid.

SuAside said:
i'm also glad to hear you realise how it is NOT a toy and that it is a dangerous sport that requires your constant attention.
Yes. I think anyone who doesn't truly respect the danger inherent in handling a firearm should stay far, far away from them.
the FN Five-seveN is not the easiest gun to pick. it also uses quite expensive ammo.
Yeah, the gun itself is not cheap and the ammo is pricey. But I will have one someday.
i'd say you best start off with a combo of .22LR and 9mm. .22LR is great for practise due to how cheap it is and 9mm feels more like a 'real' gun without spending too much cash.
Hm, but does a .22LR feel enough like a "real" gun to really improve your gun handling skills much? I'm greatly tempted to just skip straight to a 9mm, but of course that may just be foolish of me.
- Beretta Neos: decent plinker.
Plinker? I do like Berettas...
but you should really try to find what YOU like and what YOU want.
Well the problem is that, without any experience, it's hard to say what I do and don't like. Asides from my 5-7 fetish of course. Perhaps that's where renting a few at a range to try them out comes into play...
personally, i dislike Glocks, but hey, maybe you love them. Glocks can be great guns, but they're just not my thing. doesn't mean they wont work for you though.
Well Glocks have a great reputation for reliability, but I have heard around that they're not really very comfortable. What do you like/dislike about them?

How about Walther PPKs? Obviously it's just the 007-mystique, but do you have any experience with them?
Ah-Teen said:
CCW?

Kyuu said:

Concealed-carry weapon, iirc.

I'm actually watching this thread kind of closely-- having recently moved to Texas, I was thinking of taking up shooting, a hobby my father abortively tried to interest me in back when I was 13. I was decent enough with a rifle, but I've got almost nil experience with pistols, and right now I'm not healthy enough to go to a range for some hands-on homework.

Quick noob question here before I step back into lurk mode here: could a 6 foot, 120 pound man with no upper body strength reasonably expect to be able to handle the recoil from a .45? Or even a 9mm?

Kyuu said:
but you should really try to find what YOU like and what YOU want.
Well the problem is that, without any experience, it's hard to say what I do and don't like. Asides from my 5-7 fetish of course. Perhaps that's where renting a few at a range to try them out comes into play...

Here is the criteria that I follow when buying a gun:

1. Caliber
Different calibers have different pros and cons. Many have been discussed in this thread already. But if your buying a main carry weapon it should have a combination of stopping power, accuracy, magazine capacity, actual size (especially if being concealed), etc.

For example - one argument that has been made on this thread is .45 ACP vs. 9mm. The .45 is generally regaurded as having more stopping power but most .45 pistols carry significantly less rounds than 9mm pistols do. A happy medium between the two is the .40 S&W

2. Does it look cool?
Sure that sound superficial - but your spending hundreds of dollars on something, you better get one that looks badass.

3. Action.
By 'action' I mean the firing mechanism. There is single action and double action. Single action means you need to physically pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger. Double action means when you pull the trigger, the hammer goes back AND Fires in one pull. Pistols can be single action AND double action at the same time. Other pistols are strictly single or double action. Personally, I don't like pistols that are double action only (they have an internal hammer).

3. Does it get the specific job done?
My carry pistol is going to be different than that of a patrol officer. His expectations of his pistol are going to be a lot different than mine. That same patrol officer might have expectations than of an undercover detective, or a federal air marshall.

Also, If I have a carry pistol I use for self-defense; I might have a different pistol that I use for hunting or target practice. I will have different expectations from one gun to the other depending on what I am using it for.

4. Price - make/model/caliber
Sure that Desert Eagle 5.0 is an incredible piece of firepower. But your going to pay significantly for a gun that is really impractical - plus the ammunition is ridiculously expensive (we're talkin almost 1$ per bullet at the cheapest).

Yamu said:
Quick noob question here before I step back into lurk mode here: could a 6 foot, 120 pound man with no upper body strength reasonably expect to be able to handle the recoil from a .45? Or even a 9mm?

Yep. My friend is 5'6" 170 and he fires .45 ACP rounds on a regular basis. I've have female friends (who would have less upper body strength) who have taken on larger calibers with no problem. It takes a little getting used to (the loud blast is more uncomfortable than the actual recoil IMO) but with a firm grip and some good earplugs you should be fine.

Yamu said:

Yes it is possible. A 6 foot 120 pound man can fire a .50 desert eagle if he knows how to hold it well.

You also have to consider how big the gun is. Lots of people make the mistake of thinking big gun = big recoil. Bigger guns with heavier frames have less recoil because it takes more to move the mass of the gun backward into you.

You'll feel the recoil of a 22 if it's a 8 oz gun. But you wont feel the recoil of a 22 in a 20 lb target rifle.

SuAside said:
Ah-Teen said:
I said:
DO THY FUCKING HOMEWORK.

I thought I made a point of that. <,,<

Ah, arms! I love this subject.
Drool! Here are pieces of my collection:
coleoarmas1hs9.jpg

Yeah, heavy stuff!!
With a few exceptions, they have no names.

And here's my beloved one, I call it "Joana".
joanata9.jpg

I only use it for self-defense.

hahah Man, it's Brazil in here. That's the kind of weaponry one needs to deal with thiefs. haha Just kidding.
But seriouslly, in citys like Rio de Janeiro, from time to time, the Police find heavy weaponry in drug dealer's hideouts. A few months ago, they found an RPG, some rockets and other russian and israeli heavy weapons. Really.

jeremy202 said:
I hope you know why guns are illegal in europe.
spoiler: many european countries allow gun ownership.

where i live i get to own about any non-full auto gun you could think of, save for 'hidden' weapons (pen guns, cane shotguns,...).

Kyuu said:
Hm, but does a .22LR feel enough like a "real" gun to really improve your gun handling skills much? I'm greatly tempted to just skip straight to a 9mm, but of course that may just be foolish of me.
don't worry, .22LR is great to start with and it really does improve your skills cheaply. just give it a try.

Kyuu said:
a plinker is a cheap gun that doesn't have great accuracy but is inherently fun to shoot.

you can also 'plink' with an expensive gun btw. just means you're not minding much and just firing for fun.

Kyuu said:
Well Glocks have a great reputation for reliability, but I have heard around that they're not really very comfortable. What do you like/dislike about them?
the trigger & ergonomics.

Kyuu said:
How about Walther PPKs? Obviously it's just the 007-mystique, but do you have any experience with them?
never even held one.

Yamu said:
recoil is very subjective.

many people say that 9mm recoil is lighter but 'sharper', while .45 is heavier but better spaced out.

anyhow, we recently had a group of elderly ladies come for a shooting initiation at the club. they shot 9mm and .38Spl. they handled it alright, so i suspect so will you.

of course, don't expect to go spraying off and still hit the target... someone with very little muscle can do very good in aimed shots, but quick follow-ups will be hard on you.

[PCE said:
el_Prez]1. Caliber
Different calibers have different pros and cons. Many have been discussed in this thread already. But if your buying a main carry weapon it should have a combination of stopping power, accuracy, magazine capacity, actual size (especially if being concealed), etc.
for most people, stopping power and actual size are irrelevant, since most will not need a gun for selfdefense and certainly not for concealed carry...

[PCE said:
el_Prez]For example - one argument that has been made on this thread is .45 ACP vs. 9mm. The .45 is generally regaurded as having more stopping power but most .45 pistols carry significantly less rounds than 9mm pistols do. A happy medium between the two is the .40 S&W
that's a discussion i'll avoid for now, but lets just say there are MANY ways to interpret this issue.

[PCE said:
el_Prez]3. Action.
By 'action' I mean the firing mechanism. There is single action and double action. Single action means you need to physically pull the hammer back before you pull the trigger. Double action means when you pull the trigger, the hammer goes back AND Fires in one pull. Pistols can be single action AND double action at the same time. Other pistols are strictly single or double action. Personally, I don't like pistols that are double action only (they have an internal hammer).
for pure sportshooting, it is usually best to go for a single action (unless you plan to do certain disciplines in IPSC like the production class).
still, some SA/DA guns have very nice triggers regardless. the Shadow is an example of this.
my X-Five however is single action.

Ah-Teen said:
I thought I made a point of that. <,,<
i interpret 'home-work' mostly as research tbh... not actual experience with guns, since you're best off not getting that experience at home, but at the range with a competent instructor. ;)

Back