The Guns and Ammo Thread

Pretty much, except BS "mall ninja" junk, it's how it came and it's fine.

About only other thing I have is a Mossberg 500 just like this one.

12-ga-mossberg-500-cruiser-6-shot.jpg

How many of you are actual gun owners? For those of you who are - how often do you practice shooting?

What kind of shooting do you practice at? How many of you have taken professional classes? This would include safety classes and any training for various kinds of sport shooting, as well as self-defense classes.

How long have you been shooting, how old were you when you started, and who got you involved in shooting?

Do you hunt? Do you just shoot targets? Are you involved in any shooting sports that involve organized competition?

DammitBoy said:
How many of you are actual gun owners? For those of you who are - how often do you practice shooting?
I own guns. I dont practice shooting much (since I moved into a large town it is not so easy.
DammitBoy said:
What kind of shooting do you practice at? How many of you have taken professional classes? This would include safety classes and any training for various kinds of sport shooting, as well as self-defense classes.
I go to ranges and shoot at paper targets. I have had classes when I was in the boy scouts and at Ft. Knox (does that qualify as a class?)

DammitBoy said:
How long have you been shooting, how old were you when you started, and who got you involved in shooting?
I started shooting when I was in first or second grade.
DammitBoy said:
Do you hunt? Do you just shoot targets? Are you involved in any shooting sports that involve organized competition?
I do not hunt. I never needed to do it for food. I have killed lots of rats, wild cats, opossums and wild dogs.
I did not enjoy killing them but they all were dangerous to chickens or other livestock (or pets).

WPD

DammitBoy said:
How many of you are actual gun owners?
You've seen pics of mine before.
DammitBoy said:
For those of you who are - how often do you practice shooting?
I'd like to go shooting each weekend, but I usually end up shooting every two weeks or so.
DammitBoy said:
What kind of shooting do you practice at?
Mostly 25 meter static shooting.
DammitBoy said:
How many of you have taken professional classes?
This would include safety classes and any training for various kinds of sport shooting, as well as self-defense classes.
No formal classes as such, but you have to be mentored to be able to get a sportshooting license. Also did some IPSC half-day courses.
DammitBoy said:
4-5 years? 22-23 y.o.? And I got myself involved in shooting. :)
I went out and contacted the sportshooting associations myself, since no one I knew really was into shooting. A friend of my mom's once took me shooting at 16, but he lived far away.
DammitBoy said:
Do you hunt?
Nope.
DammitBoy said:
Do you just shoot targets?
Mostly, yeah.
DammitBoy said:
Are you involved in any shooting sports that involve organized competition?
I do some IPSC/DPSA-like stuff for fun, not ranking.

I'm thinking of stepping it up a bit, though, and really start practising. Since the stuff I do now is really mostly static shooting, it doesn't really prepare for fast shooting, center off mass, and moving on.

^^^^
Avengers rock.

The GAU-8 fires something like 80 rps and at 1 mile range 70% of those fall within 2m of the target. On average it takes 7 hits to destroy a main battle tank.

That's no doubt a bit off as it's off the top of my head and I read up on it a couple of years back, but you get the gist(!). Err yeah, and lets say the accuracy is based on an A-10 in level flight and the MBT is a T-72.

I have a distant but vivid memory of seeing (video footage of) an A-10 targeting a sturdy reinforced concrete government building in Baghdad with it's Avenger, tore one side of it to shreds in seconds.

The A-10 Warthog is the most awesome attack aircraft ever produced.

2932695119_db9a8c0e57_z.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bMfrixJyWc&feature=related[/youtube]

Right now looking for a reliable Semi-auto carbine. Any recommendations? I saw a replica M1 carbine but the price was way far away from it's actual price. While fire arms are quite available for the average joe such as myself they don't always offer the fairest price.

So a good, reliable semi auto carbine recommendation would be great.

DammitBoy said:
Between me and my boyfriend I think 16 - 20 guns, most of them bought be me. I shoot as often as I can. Which isn't often because of the price of ammo.

DammitBoy said:

Defensive shooting, combat shooting, basic marksmanship, kill the can.

Does Fort. Benning, home of the god damned infantry, count as professional classes?

I participate in National Guard shooting competitions. Kinda hard to get ammo to practice with though... and the EST is starting to crap out on us.

DammitBoy said:

Boyscouts. Probably shot my first gun at 12, got my rifle badge. 14 or 15 when I got shotgun. Helped out at the camp range for a week. Then til I was 18 and finally convinced my gunshy mother to let me get a 22.

DammitBoy said:

I wouldn't mind hunting but I've never done it. National Guard shooting matches for competition like I said above.

As for your multi-barreled monstrosities. That wouldn't be my first choice for the zombies. Run out of ammo pretty quick with that.

for mass defense I think I'd go with either the XM307 ACSW or the AGS-30

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWvwWR4XkIM&feature=related[/youtube]

Sexy and able to be carried by one man. Also apparently makes an effective window breaker.

Don't say anything about the mk19 or I'll beat your ass. It's a piece of shit.

Beyond that I'd want a 12 gauge with a pig sticker!
ACFD143.jpg

I_eat_supermutants said:
Right now looking for a reliable Semi-auto carbine. Any recommendations? I saw a replica M1 carbine but the price was way far away from it's actual price. While fire arms are quite available for the average joe such as myself they don't always offer the fairest price.

SKS carbines should be fairly cheap and are fairly reliable to my knowledge.

As for your question DB, I've done precious little shooting. I grew up in wartime and handled plenty firearms but I was too young to recruit at the time. Firearms licences are pretty hard to get where I live and are actually more expensive and harder to get than black market guns.

I mulled getting one anyway (black market) but decided not to go there as getting caught with an illegal rifle means jail time, don't pass go, don't collect $200. The only way to do some long range shooting is to get a hunting license and I'm not into hunting, nor do I have friends who are.

I_eat_supermutants said:
In most eurolandian countries, the Vz58 will be the cheapest carbine & cheap to feed.

In the US? I don't know... SKS? Vz 58? AK? Hell, there are some damn cheap but decent AR-15s even.

I_eat_supermutants said:

Probably an sks would be a good choice. What kind of price range are you looking at?

I_eat_supermutants said:

a) what do you want to use it for?

b) what caliber are you interested in?

c) how much money do you want to spend?

These questions mut be answered before an intelligent response can be made.

Back