The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Which is the best film in the Dollars trilogy?

For me, I'm caught between For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. While The Good, The Bad and The Ugly has some absolutely brilliant moments in it, the plot compelling and the overall tone very fun, For a Few Dollars More has this sort of "lonely western" feeling to it, I can't really explain it. I also absolutely adore the finale to For a Few Dollars More.

For a Few Dollars More is my favorite, though I love all three films. They are among my favorites.

In case you haven't watched it already, do watch Yojimbo. Original spaghetti western was made in Japan.

I'm not even sure who that guy is. Way I see it, he has become a promo face for this neo-hipster-quasi-nerdism which is fueled by pop-culture phenomena like Big Bang Theory, various forms of social media and shit like that. I guess that's the hit at the moment.

I don't know what's with the Wheaton popularity? I mean I have watched his shows and shit and he is pretty unfunny, as far as I know he was like the Jarjar Binks of Star Trek but then poof, suddenly is super popular on the internet for some reason...
He's popular now? Odd. I guess pop culture these days is fascinated by talentless losers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YciwllLO4

A Drug PSA combined with Star Trek.... ewww.

I finally got around to watching the new Mad Max recently (and made sure I had a few spare Swisher Sweets off hand for it). I wasn't able to finish it though because this computer hates me.

But I've heard a lot of comments going around on it. Some people think it's good, other's think it's "shite" (as the Australians on the comments section have been saying), and from what I've seen, it looks like just another Hollywood remake, nothing special.

That's quite odd that you think that, a lot of people would disagree. I found it to be a very refreshing action film, a long with the likes of Dredd and The Raid.

It's also not a reboot, it's a sequel. It's also directed by George Miller, who directed the other Mad Max films. So it's not really a typical Hollywood reboot at all.

Perhaps you should finish watching it?

It's specially weird because it's not even a remake....
something tells me someone didn't even watch it in the first place....

THen I guess you didn't pay attention because nothing in the movie could even imply it's a remake of any of the previous Mad max films....

I guess you already set out with low expectations, watching it off "movietube", instead of in cinemas or off a bluray/dvd.

But I didn't think the movie was that amazing, just, quite good. It appealed to me.

I'm a bit puzzled by the "canon" placement of Fury Road:

Max isn't limping. At the end of the original film, Max ends up with a badly wounded knee - his wound is healed in the sequel, but he still cannot walk properly. Same thing in Beyond Thunderdome, where he still has problems walking. In Fury Road Max seems to be an absolutely healthy individual - at least when it comes to his physical health.
When it comes to his mental health - he has these flashbacks of his daughter - I've only seen the film once so I cannot be too sure, but it looked like a female child to me. In any case, a child, maybe 3-4 years old. In the original Mad Max his wife Jessie and son Sprog are killed - and his son was a toddler at the time who couldn't speak yet, whereas the flashback kid from Fury Road openly addresses Max - this could be attributed to his madness though.
In any case, that doesn't fit with what we're presented in Fury Road flashbacks - again, I believe a daughter is shown there, whereas Max originally had a son.
There is also a problem with the Interceptor - the original Interceptor was destroyed in the second film, and yet here it is again in the fourth. How many Interceptors does Max have?
There are also several other minor details which I don't find necessary to list at the time.

In short, George Miller made a fine film, but regardless of how much he tries to avoid the term - Fury Road is a reboot. It is definitely not a sequel nor a prequel, as it doesn't fit into any point in time between or after the previous three films.
Of course, it could just be a sort of retcon or an oversight (however, I refuse to believe that it is one), but in my opinion a reboot that is done in spirit of the original films is a much better alternative to a half-assed sequel that scraps much of the established "canon" (funnily enough, of all three original films, it contradicts Beyond Thunderdome the least, and we all know how "lore-friendly" that one is).

Well Max could've had adventures in between Thunderdome and Fury Road. Maybe adventures that unvolved having a child and then losing her. It's never stated how much time it passed between the third and fourth movie so it's possible.

Well Max could've had adventures in between Thunderdome and Fury Road. Maybe adventures that unvolved having a child and then losing her. It's never stated how much time it passed between the third and fourth movie so it's possible.

True, but:

As stated above, Max' leg problems are suddenly gone, which is fishy, given that it's one of character's trademarks.
Acquiring a new Interceptor is not impossible, but is somewhat far fetched.
Thunderdome Max was, in fact, an older guy - if we assume that he was in mid twenties around the time of the original film, the sequel took place approx. 5 years after that and the third film is set more than ten years after the second film. Add the fact that Max, in his forties now, had spent a rough life in the wastes, he must look old. And he was supposed to look old in BT - except that the make-up department somewhat failed at it. Aside from his grey hair, not much was present there to indicate his actual age, but after all, he looked way older than Tom Hardy did in Fury Road.

Dunno, there are too many inconsistencies to place this new Max at any point in the given chronology, which is why I consider the new film a reboot. Not a reboot per se, given that it doesn't deal with origins of Mad Max, loss of his family etc., but is giving us a new, revisioned Max which has many parallels with the original character - his personal tragedy being the obvious focal point. I'm cool with that.

I ran with the idea that Max is a Wasteland legend, a campfire story. Which means that all his movies/stories can be disconnected and as continuity free as possible. Because they're just legends.

I guess you already set out with low expectations, watching it off "movietube", instead of in cinemas or off a bluray/dvd.

But I didn't think the movie was that amazing, just, quite good. It appealed to me.

I don't go to the theaters because there's no one to go with (that likes movies like Mad Max anyways. My fiance Katie is more in dramas/thriller/chick bullshit). I'm not going to be that one idiot in the theater who is sitting by himself.

I also didn't see the "great" story that some people saw (mostly those of the younger audience). I just saw a lot of "'SPLOSIONS!!!"

Also the term "remake" is used vaguely.

Last edited:
I go to movies alone all the time, nobody cares.

I'll never understand why people actually keep themselves from doing things in life that they'd like to just because people who probably don't care might judge them.

I've actually seen Fury Road twice so far, once alone and once with my girlfriend. I kind of had to drag her to it but she ended up liking it a lot, even watched The Road Warrior with me a few days later. I think she liked it more than Age of Ultron, which we saw a week or so before, even though she's a big fan of all those Marvel movies and sees most of them multiple times.

I can't exactly blame her since AoU also left me pretty unimpressed. I ended up liking Guardians of the Galaxy more than she did though.

Last edited:
Back