The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Last edited by a moderator:
All I'm gonna address is this:
So you are saying that all movies should be lighearted popcorn flicks
Nope. Never said that. Never implied that. Never felt that. Seriously, stop where I stop. When my point reaches its conclusion, THAT'S THE END. There is nothing beyond that. I am as direct as I am literal. There is no subtext with me. If I mean a thing, I will say it. Seeing as I never ever said that ridiculous bullshit you tried to shove in my mouth... no, I am NOT sayig all movies should be like that. Fucking Christ...

- - - - -

Anyway, I popped in a bluray while I was making some food the other day (I like to set the TV to something while I toil away in the kitchen, and hopefully I can partially enjoy whatever it is I've settled on), and this time around it was The Bucket List, which I hadn't watched in about 5 years or more. Damn good movie. It still made me laugh and still made me cry. One of the best uses of Morgan Freeman's narration, because it surprisingly added a bit of misdirection to the plot of the film. It was also light on the narration, but there was enough of it to be appropriate. It's certainly one of my favorite movies, but it doesn't crack me top 3, that's for sure. Really, really good movie, but not quite THAT good.

I watched Ant-Man last night.

Great fun. Absolutely one of the best Marvel films, for me anyway. I'd put it just under Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier.

Like Guardians of the Galaxy,it was just a blast to watch.

What do the movie-lovers of NMA think of this fantastic piece of high art:

It changed the way I see cinema, forever.

I hope the sequel turns out all right. But what I expect so far is some Kung Fury-esque homage rather than a true successor (and homages, sadly, almost universally suck). I think the best way to go about making it would have been to limit themselves to late 80s/early 90s technology, with a budget to match that of the original. And hire an 8-year old who saw the first Samurai Cop (and most importantly - took it seriously) as a writer.

And what's the deal with those colors? Why can't modern action movies have colors look like the ones in real life?

I hope the sequel turns out all right. But what I expect so far is some Kung Fury-esque homage rather than a true successor (and homages, sadly, almost universally suck). I think the best way to go about making it would have been to limit themselves to late 80s/early 90s technology, with a budget to match that of the original. And hire an 8-year old who saw the first Samurai Cop (and most importantly - took it seriously) as a writer.

And what's the deal with those colors? Why can't modern action movies have colors look like the ones in real life?
Yep, it seems that movies that intentionally try to go for the "so bad it's good" aspect only get it right on rare occasions. A good Samurai Cop 2 would be a serious production, but with such a bad crew, writers and actors that it couldn't possibly not suck. Look at this scene from the original, it's not bad because they wanted it to be bad, it's bad because the dialogue is awful and the actors have no idea what they are doing. And it's hilarious for that.

God bless Amir Shervan. The fact that he didn't live long enough to see Samurai Cop become a cult classic is nothing short of a tragedy.

The only person in recent history like him is Tommy Wiseau. And he's not really half as good, the tedious sex scenes were there in Samurai Cop, but in The Room they feel like they take up half the movie.

God bless Amir Shervan. The fact that he didn't live long enough to see Samurai Cop become a cult classic is nothing short of a tragedy.

The only person in recent history like him is Tommy Wiseau. And he's not really half as good, the tedious sex scenes were there in Samurai Cop, but in The Room they feel like they take up half the movie.

Hey Ashur, have you heard of Red Letter Media on youtube? They are fans of Samurai cop as well and have a two part interview with the star Matt Hannon.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Red+Letter+Media+Samurai+Cop

Yes, I saw the interview. The guy has a pretty interesting background. I don't think it's mentioned in the Red Letter Media interview, but he actually spent time in prison during the '90s for robbing a guy he used to work for as a security guard.

The story about how Samurai Cop was made is also fascinating. And it's a lot easier to observe the whole movie-making process by watching "bad" movies. But I don't really feel right calling Samurai Cop "bad", since I don't remember enjoying a lot of other movies to that extent.

Very True I wouldn't call it a bad movie either. An eccentric, lower budget DYI pastiche of 80's action troupes but def not "bad" by any means. It has heart in spades. Big budget movies I tend to use the term "Bad" more casually on account to access to better effects and actors etc.

Since this is the movie thread and to honor the late great Roddy Piper I submit Hell comes to Frogtown

That whole "so bad it's good" bandwagon is thankfully one I never hopped on. People seem to forget that it is NOT a universal thing. ONLY people who are into "so bad it's good" will enjoy a good "so bad it's good" film. Regardless of if it is any good or not, people who aren't into it will just not like it. I saw some clips of Black Dynamite, and that shit made me laugh. But it wasn't a "so bad it's good" kind of film (and subsequent cartoon), it was a parody. Those are very different things, yet somehow people confuse those two, as well.

All in all, people are just giving "too bad it's good" labels too much credit. It doesn't deserve any credit at all. It's an unintentional label. It's not a real genre. It's just some kind of masochistic fun that SOME people delight in, but far from all.

Gimme a good Who Framed Roger Rabbit? any day, and I'm happy.

There is no way of objectively determining what's a "good" movie, so there's no way of objectively determining what's a "good so bad it's good movie". Movies are entertainment. We could call it art, but art is nothing but glorified entertainment. Credit is due to any movie which entertains, intentionally or not. Many movies which are generally accepted as "good" just fail to do so for me, while movies like Samurai Cop, Starcrash or The Super Infra-Man succeed.

It's just some kind of masochistic fun that SOME people delight in, but far from all.

That can be said for any movie in existence.

Well, I think we can agree though that Uwe Boll is not a good movie director at least. Otherwise I would have to question your sanity :V

It's just some kind of masochistic fun that SOME people delight in, but far from all.

That can be said for any movie in existence.
Only no, it can't. Maybe you could argue that there is SOME degree of "masochism" in watching all of the terrible shit happen to Andy Dufresne as you watch The Shawshank Redemption, because you're identifying with his character, so watching him get raped and watching him get beaten up and watching him get psychologically tortured by his captors could arguably be construed as applying acts of torture to ones self, ergo masochism. But ANY movie in existence? No.

Well, I think we can agree though that Uwe Boll is not a good movie director at least. Otherwise I would have to question your sanity :V

The only thing I ever saw of Uwe's opus is a small portion of the Postal movie, and that was bad. But I think Uwe makes bad movies on purpose, it's how he makes a name for himself.

Only no, it can't. Maybe you could argue that there is SOME degree of "masochism" in watching all of the terrible shit happen to Andy Dufresne as you watch The Shawshank Redemption, because you're identifying with his character, so watching him get raped and watching him get beaten up and watching him get psychologically tortured by his captors could arguably be construed as applying acts of torture to ones self, ergo masochism. But ANY movie in existence? No.

That's presuming that everyone thinks Shawshank Redemption to be a good movie. I love it, but not everyone does. You speak as if there was a scientific way of determining how good a movie is. There isn't. Watching the "so bad that they're good movies" isn't the least bit painful for the person enjoying them, so there's no masochism, and even though most people who enjoy them don't realize it - if you enjoy it, it's not a bad movie.

You equated "masochism" to "enjoying a movie you think is bad". By that logic, it can be said for any movie in existence, because every movie is bad by someone's standards.

The only thing I ever saw of Uwe's opus is a small portion of the Postal movie, and that was bad. But I think Uwe makes bad movies on purpose, it's how he makes a name for himself.
actually it's how he makes money. There was some turmoil in Germany about his practise as movie maker. He got a lot of support by the German government with subsidies - I guess he still does? No clue. Our government does it with the intention to support local companies the movie and FX industry in Germany. So every movie that decides to use German locations for example has the right to plead for financial support. But it turns out Boll isn't even using that many German companies and most of his contracts are actually made with companies outside of Germany. So quite a few think he is doing it all just to get the subsidies for making an extremly cheap movie. Success doesn't even seem to be really a question for him and his investors.

Now what ever is true, I don't have a clue. But the general consensus is that he hasn't a clue how to make a good movie and I tend to agree with that :P

Last edited:

I can't help but have a soft spot for the guy. Telling everyone to go fuck themselves because he has enough money to play golf until he's dead is the very definition of class. Exactly what I would do in that situation. Maybe I should move to Germany.

Back