The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Watched Ravenous the other day.
008404_25.jpg

Fun, unusual movie!

Excellent movie soundtrack, perfectly capturing the "vibe" of the film:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg[/youtube]

I saw The Andromeda Strain (again) and the original Russian version of Solaris. Both reminded me how few contemporary sci-fi movies are actually real science fiction. I was surprised how well Andromeda Strain holds up. It's a good example of slower pacing amping up suspense. Watching Solaris was half torture and half fascination. I'm glad I saw it, but I never want to see it again.

Just finished watching "The Band's Visit"
American-French-Israeli production, set in a fictional town in the Negev Desert, a police marching band from Alexandria, Egypt ends up there by a linguistic mistake, where nobody is there to expect them. Stranded in the desert town, a local tavern-owner tries to accomodate them. A movie about love, which actually pulls it off without being predictable or sappy. It puts jews and arabs together, without making it forced or awkward. All in all, a calm, nice and pretty movie. For a change :D

bandsvisit1.jpg

TheBandsVisit_5lg.jpg

Went to see two movies yesterday.

"Killing them softly" with Brad Pitt. I really enjoyed this movie, even though it has some horrible reviews. Most of the reviews key on the political message of the movie.

I thought it was a great message and the way Pitt did it was awesome and pretty damn good. it's a very cynical view of America that I happen to agree with and I might be biased since I just worked with Mr. Pitt on a movie in New Orleans, but I give this flick 4 out of five asshats.

The Hobbit - it was more than anyone could have hoped for. If you don't love this movie, please kill yourself.

5 out of five asshats for an incredible journey - can't wait for the sequels.

DammitBoy said:
Most of the reviews key on the political message of the movie.
Heh, I hadn't paid any attention to this movie, but maybe I'll look into it. If it irks the movie-reviewer syndicate it should at least be interesting.

I saw Days of Heaven from 1978. It's the first Terrence Malick movie I've seen, and I was quite impressed. The story is unremarkable, but it doesn't matter because it's all second fiddle to the cinematography and atmosphere.

mobucks said:
Yeah buy if you read the book doesn't that automaticly deduct one asshat? (the hobbit)

I've read the book several times and the movie sticks to it like sanders buttocks after a visit from kharn.

Cabin in the Woods is funny. Scott Pilgrim is funny. Prometheus is complete bullshit.

Ofelas [Saami] Veiviseren [Norwegian]
The Pathfinder [English]
Norway, 1987

One of the best movies to come out of Norway, and not even "fully" Norwegian - as it is a movie made entirely by Saami peoples. It describes a classic good vs evil tale, a david vs goliath scenario, set around 1000AD of Finnmark, Norway.
Here a group of wandering, marauding Chudes (todays Estonia) are approaching a tribe of peaceful Saami people, who are inexperienced with violence, and must suddenly scramble to escape.

The film was shot in Finnmark, in inhuman temperatures, many stuntmen abandoned their post, and had to be replaced.
Dialogue is sparse, and doesn't go around revealing the characters thoughts, instead allowing you to just take in what is happening.
The acting is great, and the story progression is humble but exciting.

Warning: There is an American remake, which is about vikings instead of saami. Avoid!

mXnVPTvWhq1_IL4_

UniversalWolf said:
zegh8578 said:
Ofelas [Saami] Veiviseren [Norwegian]
The Pathfinder [English]
Norway, 1987
I saw that one a long time ago. We need more movies where Norwegians are portrayed as villains.

The villains in the movie are called "chudes", a finno ugric tribe based in Estonia, but when they speak they do sound unmistakably nordic, so it could be that "chude" in saami refers to any kind of foreign invader. This part has actually confused me since I first saw it.
Edit: The chaman of the movie defines "chudes" as someone who has lost his connection to the world - so yes, you probably are right. They are likely supposed to be Norwegian raiders.

DammitBoy said:
The Hobbit ... 5 out of five asshats for an incredible journey - can't wait for the sequels.

Boo. Much like the Lord of the Rings, some of the scenes are just too long, like the dwarves in Bilbo's house... And the unnecessary loud drums and vowel singing, which are there to create the tension instead of the acting.

Luckily I watched the cinema version and not the Extended Cut. That would have been quite the drag.

But most certainly the fighting scenes were brighter, more colourful and more engaging than what LoTR offered. A welcome change.

Sub-Human said:
DammitBoy said:
The Hobbit ... 5 out of five asshats for an incredible journey - can't wait for the sequels.

Boo. Much like the Lord of the Rings, some of the scenes are just too long, like the dwarves in Bilbo's house... And the unnecessary loud drums and vowel singing, which are there to create the tension instead of the acting.

I quite enjoyed the adaptation of the book's poetry/song to the big screen. I am glad they actually put songs into the film, which was such a let down with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Think of all the time of footage spent filming people running about when they could have shown them singing. I would have enjoyed Gloin in LoTR.

Marketa Lazarova

Czechoslovak historical film from 1967. It is film with a steep 'learning curve', and getting into the actual plot is a bit tough (good subtitles are a must unless you know the language), but the film is amazing.
Beautiful shots and technique, story, acting... it's a jewel of art.

Now I have to find more of František Vláčil. Too bad his works are a bit hard to come by.

[random scene from the film] [spoiler:9885d41af9]
marketa.jpg
[/spoiler:9885d41af9]

Atomkilla said:
Too bad his works are a bit hard to come by.

I found a very nice ballet performance of Marketa Lazarova in the local newspaper, first result on the page.

That's nice --Per

As I walked into The Hobbit the little voice in my head was saying, "You're a sucker for going to see this." Note to self: in the future, trust the little voice. Peter Jackson is a magician. He managed to cram everything I hate about movies into one movie. Bland music that is too loud and never seems to stop playing? Check. Shameful disregard for high-quality source material? Check. Clumsily giving away all the backstory in one chunk at the beginning? Check. Ridiculous CGI action sequences that defy all physical rules of the universe and don't serve to advance the plot in any way? Check. Slow motion shots of characters yelling because they're upset? Check. And on, and on, and on...

I'm trying to decide whether or not this is the worst movie I've ever seen. Right now I'm leaning heavily toward yes, but I'm going to wait a day or two before I make a hard decision about that. The only thing that might stop me is the riddle game scene, which came along just in time to keep me from walking out. Best part of the movie by far, although they short-changed it (presumably there wasn't enough action).

Back