The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Saw "300: Rise of an Empire" this weekend, it was a birthday present.

It's the same stuff as "300", but on sea and a lot darker. I liked it. I had a boner every time Eva Green appeared on screen. Which was a lot.

Googles Eva Green, masturbates.

Has anybody seen Snowpiercer?

That shit was CRAZY. Post apocalyptic, sort of quirky and illogical, but all in all supercool. It's based on a French comic book and the whole run felt kind of like a turn based combat cRPG :lol:

Has anybody seen Snowpiercer?

That shit was CRAZY. Post apocalyptic, sort of quirky and illogical, but all in all supercool. It's based on a French comic book and the whole run felt kind of like a turn based combat cRPG :lol:

I'll have to check this out; I had no idea Chris Evans was in it.

I saw a movie worth mentioning: Changeling, starring Angelina Jolie and directed by Clint Eastwood. It's based on a true story of egregious police corruption in Los Angeles during the 1920s. I found it interesting enough that I looked up the facts of the story after seeing the movie. The only lamentable part is the ending, which gave Angelina Jolie's character some fictionalized and excessively dramatic scenes. As usual, it would have been better to stick to the facts. Still, I liked it overall.

Captain America And the Winter Soldier.
Very good movie, a little on the longer side but you barely notice. The story is very well told and filmed and entertainning as hell.
I would say the best of Marvel´s Super hero movies. It doesn´t fall to the trappings of trying to be "mature" in the most vapid way, while also not being braindead. Very recomended and it also has a very good Pulp Fiction easter egg for those observing carefuly.

That's good to hear. The first Captain America I wouldn't have been able to stomach if I didn't have a weakspot for straightforward superhero movies.

I'm wasting my free time on those excellent old war movies based on real events, can't stop doing that! Some tips:

Sink the Bismarck, 1960
Das Boot, 1981
The Longest Day, 1962
Midway, 1976
Tora! Tora! Tora!, 1970
Battle of Britain, 1969
A Bridge Too Far, 1977
Patton, 1970

I would greatly appreciate any of your tips for similar movies, guys!

Last edited:
That's good to hear. The first Captain America I wouldn't have been able to stomach if I didn't have a weakspot for straightforward superhero movies.
I loved the lightheartedness of the first Captain America movie. I don´t really much care about making every hero into a Broody loner that fights Osama Bin Laden.
That´s why I liked part os Man of Steel but still found lots of stupid on it. The Spiderman 2 movie looks great, we finally have a Spidey that is Spidey.

I just want to watch flashy cg action while munching on popcorn. Superhero movies are my guilty pleasure.

The only ones I really don't like are Batman Begins, Catwoman of course, either of the hulk movies, Daredevil, or either of the Fantastic Four movies. I also never watched any superman movie besides Man of Steel.

Eh.... only the first 2.

I've seen several of them as a kid, they were fun films to watch. They're dated for sure, but remain classic of a sort.
I don't like superhero films in general, tho.

@Akratus Regarding some films, do reply on my pm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw The Grand Budapest Hotel and really liked it. Not quite as good as Moonrise Kingdom, but still so much more creative and original than almost anything else you can see in a movie theater.

I remember when I saw the first Hulk movie I couldn't stop laughing. Every time he changed into the Hulk, all his clothes would rip off except his magically stretchy underwear. Then when he would change back into human form, they still fit. They must have been made from miracle fabric.

I also saw Let Me In, the American version of Låt den Rätte Komma In. I didn't like it much. Kind of a strange, unpleasant experience actually: there's nothing wrong with it, exactly, except it's an almost identical remake and the original has a lot more personality for some reason. It almost feels like a forgery.

@Atomkilla I replied to your message.

I saw the winter soldier, and it was indeed a solid little flick. I look forward to going into a coma whilst marathoning all the marvel movies in the hopefully near future.

I've also seen recently, the great movie Timecrimes (or in it's original title: Los Cronocrimenes). It turns out there aren't so few good timetravel movies after all.

And I also saw my now 8th favorite movie of all time, The Dead Poet's Society. It was just a delight.

@UniversalWolf

I plan to explore the works of Wes Anderson, of which I've seen little if any, sometime in the future.

And "Let the right one in" is one of those things I've heard mention all the time, but know nothing about.

I plan to explore the works of Wes Anderson, of which I've seen little if any, sometime in the future.
He has a very distinct style. You'll either love it or you won't. Personally I've never seen a Wes Anderson movie I didn't like, even the less popular ones. If I were to suggest a starting point, it would probably be Rushmore.

And "Let the right one in" is one of those things I've heard mention all the time, but know nothing about.
Definitely stick to the original and not the Hollywood remake.

I've seen Drive.
Great film, really, but the hype that has surrounded it has confused me a bit. Sure, it's an atypical Hollywood film, it's not blockbuster crap, it's well made, well-written and acted - but still, I am confused. I guess I missed something.

In any case, it's a fine film, I recommend it.

I see Transcendence is bombing. No wonder. I saw the preview (when I went to The Grand Budapest Hotel) and it spoiled the entire plot. I mean, it followed the story line from start to finish. It was so bad it actually pissed me off, even though I wasn't very interested in that movie to begin with.

I would greatly appreciate any of your tips for similar movies, guys!

TheBattleofNeretvaPoster1.jpg

Thank you, donperkan! Looks pretty good.
And because this is movie thread, I'll add just for the record that your nickname reminds me of Don Perhan. That's character which appeared in a great Balkanian movie Dom za vesanje, directed by Mr. Kusturica. :smile:

Back