The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

I remember one time I paid some rather expensive tickets to watch a movie in group. It was chosen by a friend's then girlfriend..... It was called Angel's Share, and it was the most pointless and boring movie I have ever seen in my life, and I am not exagerating. One of the guys in the group was actually high the entire movie and even he couldn't get any enjoyment out of it.

I may be wrong.... but was that the movie about a guy who was separated from his family, who though he was dead or something like that. Everytime he tried to get on a bus or in a car to go see him family, an Angel kept telling him not to do it, that "that bus wasn't meant for him". Then one day he decides to get on a bus to see his family, and the Angel keeps telling him that, and he ignores him. Finally, eventually after about 15 minutes though he decides to get off, and finds out later that that bus was involved in a vicious wreck that killed everyone on it?

Like I said, I could be way wrong, but the title of that movie sounds similar to this other one I just mentioned.

No, it's a movie about a group of cockney guys in community service, one of them has a girlfriend but he is a complete loser and the father of his girlfriend seems to be with the mob or with a Hooligan firm or something. So they decide to steal some old Barrel whiskey and sell it to Peter Petigrew, and they do, without major complications.... And that's 2 hours.

I saw the Amazing Spider-Man 2 just now, I give it a 2 out of 5. I aaaalmost gave it a 3.

I think I get now why you didn't like the RLM review of it, Walpknut. Although I agree with their excessive negative opinions, usually, I think that in this case they could have toned down the "worst movie ever" sentiment. I think the movie has a lot of flaws, but I would call it a slightly below average movie. A run of the mill superhero flick, with some flaws. Hence the 2 out of 5. It is really false to say the movie had no plot, whatsoever, which is what they said on Half in the Bag. But they pointed out a lot of the same issues I had with the movie, and I think it's a fair review overall.

What was the use of Peter's dad uploading the virus in the opening scene? Paul Giamatti was hamming it up very badly. How did Electro disolving again at the end kill him? Electro's motivation wasn't logical. The inclusion of the peter parker's dad, and the ghost dad were indeed unsubstantial and silly, respectively. Etcetera, etcetera. And the worst problem for me was how weird the green goblin was. It was a weird change I couldn't buy into, when he put on the suit and the glider. How did he know the suit would help him anyway? That was something they didn't set up properly. He gets injected, we know he will die because of the lack of Parker bloodline, and the suit is just there to magically solve this. There were a lot of handwaves in this script.

I did have a problem with their Man of Steel review. Don't call the movie bad if you just think it's too serious! That's an opinion. They kept comparing it to the old hammy Superman films for no good reason. That's really what just about all of their criticism boiled down to. I simply didn't see them make one good legitimate point in that review, as far as I remember.

But I think the man of steel review is the exception, along with Iron-Man 3. Those two are really the only ones I disagree with.

Last edited:
Peter's dad uplodaded information on the Oscorp fraud and investigation to the computer in the subway to be ablo to spread the information and clear their names, it wasn't a virus. It seems like Oscorp likes to cover up their fuck ups with scape goats all the time and now Peter has information that can take down Oscorp. Also it is all tying in together with a three arch plot involving the Parkers and Oscorp.
Electro exploded with too much electricity, he didn't dissolve and there is nothign that tells us that he is dead now.
Elektro's motivation seemed pretty emotional and psychotic to me, that's like complainning about the motives of the Joker. He is a very psychological frail person, he feels unnoticed and then betrayed to the extreme, I mean he was sent to get tortured by oscorp scientists by his one hero, I say that's reason enough to get more than a little unstable. Not to mention that Oscorp stole his Electric Grid design.
Also, Harry didn't know he was gonna die because of the lack of parker DNA. PETER knew that but Harry didn't, that's why he went directly for the venom. Altho it really felt a little rushed that the suit just happened to have healing properties, I'll give you that.
And the ghost of dissaproving Leary ties into the fact that Peter still feels guilty over still being with Gwen even tho her dad asked him to leave her before dying. It's kind of campy, but not nearly enough as having a conversation with Uncle Ben in the clouds.

Ah yes, I don't know why I called it a virus, when it was not. But if he was the only person that knew about the train car why did he care so much to upload it still even though he was in a crashing plane? And how did he not get knocked out from lack of oxygen? Besides, how could one man create an entire mechanism where a train cart comes out of the ground in an abandoned subway in the middle of new york? Why did he make that in the first place? Wasn't the timeframe between him dying and him finding out oscorp was evil and therefore needing any kind of secret hideout at all kind of short? If he just made it because he always wasn't very trusting, then how could it still be of any use when he already has a laboratory in one of the biggest and richest corporations? I mean, make your own lab, that's fine, but how would he get anything into it if it's far underground one of the biggest cities on earth?

So Electro might not have died. But the movie and the characters act like he did. Nobody questions whether he is just dissolved and if he can then come back. Nobody investigates this. And every villain can be explained as being psychotic. There was no pre-established reason for him to become a murdering lunatic. Not even a psychotic one. It wasn't framed in the story as some kind of emotional breakdown. I have a similar problem with the Joker in the Dark Knight. He says at one point "I'm an agent of chaos." And that's fine, and works logically, but that still makes him a bad character. There was an opportunity to give him more, but instead it's just the simplest reason any screenwriter can think of to make someone do evil things. The torture and the grid design were good reasons to go after the ceo of oscorp, that's true.

Anyone seen Looper?
Any good?

I think it's quite decent. It has some problems with it's logic, as it uses time travel. But it was enjoyable all the way through. Still, it doesn't beat most other good science fiction films in my opinion. I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Last edited:
Dad Parker wasn't just some dude, he obviously has the means to get a private jet and a safehouse for hiding so he probably has some contacts out there. He probably was counting on some of the to find the information but alas, the plane he wa sin crashed so his contacts probably tought the information was lost. But noe Peter has the information, and we still another movie to continue with the plot thread.

Dude, Max Dillon spends all of it's introductory scene getting pissed on by people all the time. He is also obviously unstable from the beginning (His imagine spot where he just snaps at a guy for talking about Spiderman?) And then everything comes crashing down after he gets turned into basically a Zombie after getting shat on by everyone on his birthday, he also ahs an obsesion with Spiderman from the beginning. I mean in his first scenes as Elektro he is more confused than anything about the situation. What makes him snap is the fact that he believes Spiderman set him up for a trap, he does get shot by a SNIPER when Spidey was seemingly trying to make him lower his guard. So he goes into a rage and starts trashing everything. Kind of like the the straw that broke the camel's back. THEN he gets imprisoned and torture for who knows how long. Did you see? he was being kept in a water tank and electrocuted by the super hammy dude. So he has more than enough reason to go off the rails, it's not like he was a normal dude that just starts being evil out of nowhere.
Also the fact that we know that he can turn into electricity and reconstitute doesn't mean the characters know that too. Why would they think he is still alive when they just made him explode?

Fair points. I'm not trying to persuade you from liking the movie. I didn't hate it either. So let's leave it at that.

Now check out this interview:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...eter-Jackson-sacrificed-subtlety-for-CGI.html

I REALLY couldn't agree more. I already loved Viggo, but he's certainly jumped up the awesome scale for me with this. I agree with him that Fellowship is the best movie, and that the Hobbit films lost most of the subtlety that the LotR films had.

So apparently we're cool with massive spoilers now? XD Note, I'm aware that I'm not the first to address these points, and that some of them have been acknowledged. I'm just adding more details to the discussion.
I saw the Amazing Spider-Man 2 just now, I give it a 2 out of 5. I aaaalmost gave it a 3.
[...]
What was the use of Peter's dad uploading the virus in the opening scene? [...] The inclusion of the peter parker's dad, and the ghost dad were indeed unsubstantial and silly, respectively. Etcetera, etcetera.
As it's been explained, that was backup. That was pivotal to the plot of uncovering the mystery of Peter's parents' deaths, because otherwise it's a neverending mystery because all of the truth was lost. If you preferred that the mystery never be solved, then that's another discussion entirely. Unlike the Raimi films which COMPLETELY ignored the reasons for why Peter was orphaned and living with his Aunt and Uncle, the Webb films address this; THAT'S the point, and it's a very important one, as far as narrative is concerned. Whether you simply ignore a nagging concern or whether you turn the answer for that nag into some massive undertaking of a story don't have to be the only two options available, thematically, but they didn't do a bad job of going in the latter's direction. People complained that TAS1 dropped a mystery in the audience's laps and then NEVER did anything with it, which to me just seems like those people didn't WATCH the movie (or watched it with very short attention spans) because it was revisited on multiple occasions throughout the film, including the final scene. It didn't give the mystery away yet it didn't dangle it in front of our faces the entire time, so we had a narrative to work with. I believe people simply were spoiled by movies addressing EVERY loose thread neatly and perfectly so a movie making good artistic use of an UNSOLVED mystery was just upsetting to them because that's not what they're used to, not that it was on its own handled poorly.

TAS2 picked up where TAS1 left off with that mystery and, sadly (for me), solved it. I wouldn't have minded if they explained more of it but left it ultimately hanging, because that IS an important dynamic to Peter's identity, but they addressed it in a manner that, while somewhat over-simplified (e.g. Oscorp doing evil things, making people vanish, I must flee), gave a suitable destination for one of Peter's many character arcs. Remember that in TAS1 he spent some time egotistically hunting down thugs that all matched the same physical characteristics, and until Captain Stacey pointed out to him that this behavior wasn't noble at all but clearly some sort of grudge or vendetta, Peter hadn't considered that what he was doing could be an abuse of his gifts. Learning that was one of the many lessons, just like keeping the final voicemail from his Uncle Ben was another, that led his character to grow from A to B. All important plot points, and I felt they were handled wonderfully. In the Roosevelt Station scene in TAS2, the climax of this particular character arc, it represented the culmination of Peter's identity, because now he knew what to make of his late family, as well as what his remaining family meant to him. If anything, solving the mystery of what happened to the Parkers in TAS2 was just not handled AS magnificently as Peter's growth was in the first film.

The same problem, I'd say, is what plagued the "ghost" of Captain Stacey, not because Peter imagining him was portrayed in a silly way, but because his reactions in the scenes that involved were just a little jarring. This was somewhat mitigated by Gwen mentioning that this behavior had been repetitious of him, and that she'd finally gotten sick of it, but still, until she said that, as viewers we didn't know that, so seeing Peter go from happily in a relationship to suddenly guilt-stricken seemed very sudden and out-of-place. That can just be attributed to how the scenes were cut, and it could have simply been done better.

Paul Giamatti was hamming it up very badly. How did Electro disolving again at the end kill him? Electro's motivation wasn't logical.
I really don't see the "hamming" people are talking about, they just characterize him as a witless brute, and he does a great job at that. As said before, there was no confirmation that Electro did indeed die, and for all we know he'll return in the Sinister Six film BECAUSE his consciousness catches on to the fact that he can reconstitute his body. He only needed to be "out of the way" because a character such as his (the rather godlike kind) poses a huge plothole in any narrative that he's included if he's not "dealt with" in some fashion, for at least some amount of time. The scenes at Ravencroft Institute portrayed that he CAN be contained, but getting him from omnipotent point A to pacified point B wasn't going to be as simple as administering an airborne anti-mutagen this time around.

And the worst problem for me was how weird the green goblin was. It was a weird change I couldn't buy into, when he put on the suit and the glider. How did he know the suit would help him anyway? That was something they didn't set up properly. He gets injected, we know he will die because of the lack of Parker bloodline, and the suit is just there to magically solve this. There were a lot of handwaves in this script.
The greatest issue I had with the Green Goblin was that they made him Harry to begin with. Harry WAS one of the Green Goblins, but he was ultimately a tragic pawn who had assumed that mantle, while the real Goblin, Norman Osborn, was far more insidious, powerful, and resourceful. That was switched around in this film, and that's just something that I'll need to get used to, not something that altogether makes his character "bad". But as for how he knew that the suit would help him, there was a scene earlier in the film (when he discovered his father's "life's work" use) where he reviewed the many top-secret projects Oscorp had developed, and in that scene the powered combat suit was explained while he was reviewing these, even mentioning that it had field-medicating features; that how he "knew it would help him". So you have to admit it was set up right, you might've simply forgotten that earlier part. The worst part of it, I feel, was that the Webb version of Osborn died in his 50s/60s, so clearly even if he inherited the disease, Harry had many decades ahead of him to solve that, but he felt much more rushed, and visually we saw those patches of skin indicating the same thing. If Harry was rushed on his own, but he wasn't exhibiting any acceleration of the disease more than his father, then I think that would have been much better. But presumably they wanted to include that visual indicator so we the audience would understand why his incompatible mutation with the spider venom resulted in more green patches of skin. Another matter that simply could have been done better, but not that it was bad.

Fair points. I'm not trying to persuade you from liking the movie. I didn't hate it either. So let's leave it at that.
It's never about persuading people to like what they dislike, or dislike what they'd otherwise like. It's just a matter of discussion, that when one person's qualms has a substantiated cause, that it's possible those can be explained. It's the purpose of discussions, the exchange of ideas, not persuasion. I always hate when people think that simple discussion is always "trying to change [their] minds", because it reeks of such a simple-minded insecurity that their perspective was probably shallow enough on its own that on some subconscious level they feared the notion of exploring it very deeply because it would force them to face that thing they lacked the commitment to stand by and defend. If anything, some of us might just want to "persuade" you to use different movie reviewing sources because of how subjective particular ones might be. But ultimately, we all saw the same movie, so there's ample cause to explore how one scene or one character or one anything could have elicited such wildly different reactions for different people. It's not a matter of persuading you to give up your ways, just an exploration of why that is.

Last edited:
Watched The Andromeda Strain remake (2008) on TV a few days back, what a huge disappointment in comparison with its older brother from 1971! Instead of serious sci-fi thriller as it used to be, it's half-arsed action movie now. And the last half an hour sucks big time, because some fucking genius decided to use a blue stroboscope as an emergency light in the base, so I just turned that shit off before end.

I got roped into watching a pretty bad movie from 2004 called Wicker Park, with Rose Byrne and Josh Hartnett. Yes, I should have known better, but the movie actually had some interesting things going on in parts. It's a bad movie, but what interested me after I'd finished watching it was the way in which it was a bad movie. The story picks the wrong character to be the main character.

I'm going to include some pretty major spoilers, so be warned. If you take my advice you'll never bother seeing the movie, so the spoilers won't matter.

The main character is Josh Hartnett's character, and he's incredibly boring. He's dull and good-looking and nice, and gals all like him, and he's way more successful in life than he would be if he weren't good looking. He's "in love" with an equally boring, cute, nice, girl, and guess what? She loves him too! Fortunately the story is rescued by Rose Byrne's character, who's completely crazy. For some reason she likes Hartnett's character too, and when she finds out he's dating her friend, she starts formulating all kinds of schemes to keep them apart. She manages to prevent them from seeing each other for two years. Unfortunately the movie thinks Josh's insipid love for his insipid girlfriend is interesting, when the truth is the crazy girl and her lies are the only interesting, suspenseful parts of the movie. So in the end nothing happens. The two annoying people find each other again and get to spend the rest of their meaningless lives in dull-witted joy and happiness. We never really find out what happens to Rose Byrne's character, except that she's sad. Because Wicker Park doesn't recognize that it should be her story, there's no reason to bother seeing it.

Watched The Andromeda Strain remake (2008) on TV a few days back, what a huge disappointment in comparison with its older brother from 1971! Instead of serious sci-fi thriller as it used to be, it's half-arsed action movie now.
Good to know; another remake I can avoid like the plague.

Seriously though, the original is really good. I just watched that a couple of years ago and I was impressed.

I finally saw The World's End (the 3rd movie in "The Cornetto Trilogy") the other day. The short version of my reaction is: Eh, I liked Hot Fuzz better.

I can attribute much of my lackluster reaction to the film to being spoiled by that SAME fuck-face asshole "reviewer", Bob "Movie Bob" Chipman, who constantly spoils movies in his reviews by showing clips that he shouldn't, as well as discuss topics that should be left unsaid. I always appreciate when a reviewer ACKNOWLEDGES it can be tricky to describe certain parts of a film without spoiling something about it, for instance when Jeremy Jahns in his spoiler review of Captain America: The Winter Soldier he pointed out that it would be spoiling the film to say anything about "certain" characters because that would paint your expectations of them, and after a point in the film you'd react to his comments and realize that a twist was incoming, inadvertently spoiling the twist. Sure enough, he was right, and HE goes out of his way to avoid those spoils, and I love him for it. Bob does not, and even when he says he wants to try to avoid spoilers, he ALWAYS spoils the movie anyway. Like Hot Fuzz, the premise of The World's End was supposed to be a drastic change in tone for the film that the viewer SHOULD NOT expect, and Bob reviewed THAT about the movie. When that "twist" happened in the movie, it had zero impact on me, because I already knew it was coming because of fucking Bob. My good friend who put in his blu ray copy of Hot Fuzz for me to see without ANY warning and without any explanation was totally right in his reasons for keeping the premise of the film under wraps. I enjoyed it for a while and when the twist was unveiled my mind was totally blown. It's perhaps for that very reason that when people speak of "The Cornetto Trilogy" and most tend to say that they think Shawn of the Dead was the best, I just have to disagree and assert that Hot Fuzz takes that award.

The World's End was a decent film, but thanks to the spoilers, I dunno if I could ever consider it a contender to its predecessors.

I finally saw The World's End (the 3rd movie in "The Cornetto Trilogy") the other day. The short version of my reaction is: Eh, I liked Hot Fuzz better.

I can attribute much of my lackluster reaction to the film to being spoiled by that SAME fuck-face asshole "reviewer", Bob "Movie Bob" Chipman, who constantly spoils movies in his reviews by showing clips that he shouldn't, as well as discuss topics that should be left unsaid. I always appreciate when a reviewer ACKNOWLEDGES it can be tricky to describe certain parts of a film without spoiling something about it, for instance when Jeremy Jahns in his spoiler review of Captain America: The Winter Soldier he pointed out that it would be spoiling the film to say anything about "certain" characters because that would paint your expectations of them, and after a point in the film you'd react to his comments and realize that a twist was incoming, inadvertently spoiling the twist. Sure enough, he was right, and HE goes out of his way to avoid those spoils, and I love him for it. Bob does not, and even when he says he wants to try to avoid spoilers, he ALWAYS spoils the movie anyway. Like Hot Fuzz, the premise of The World's End was supposed to be a drastic change in tone for the film that the viewer SHOULD NOT expect, and Bob reviewed THAT about the movie. When that "twist" happened in the movie, it had zero impact on me, because I already knew it was coming because of fucking Bob. My good friend who put in his blu ray copy of Hot Fuzz for me to see without ANY warning and without any explanation was totally right in his reasons for keeping the premise of the film under wraps. I enjoyed it for a while and when the twist was unveiled my mind was totally blown. It's perhaps for that very reason that when people speak of "The Cornetto Trilogy" and most tend to say that they think Shawn of the Dead was the best, I just have to disagree and assert that Hot Fuzz takes that award.

The World's End was a decent film, but thanks to the spoilers, I dunno if I could ever consider it a contender to its predecessors.

You basically listed every possible reason why I avoid reading reviews, discussion and even watching trailers for almost any film. Seeing a trailer for something which you know will be relatively dumb in advance (i.e. new Transformers film) is all right, since you're not ruining your experience in any significant way.
But when it comes to more intricate and complex works, like The World's End (which is a well-written, witty comedy that doesn't rely on cheap approach and overused jokes to appeal to mass audiences, and is fairly complex in plot and characters), any, absolutely any indication of the plot or characters is an automatic spoiler and killer for me, regardless how small it is. I like to start a film completely blank, to have a tabula rasa which I will fill while watching - it requires for me to have faith in the director and actors in order to fully engross myself and potentially sacrifice several hours of my life on their work, but it usually pays off. It certainly did with The World's End.

Trailers nowadays show too much. Reviewers even more. Combined with the ever-present trend of recycling films, stories and overused tropes, there's not much to except from the "common" mainstream cinema of the West. But every now and then there is a film that is certainly worthwhile, and I absolutely refrain from ruining it in any way. Seeing the director's name (or the name of the writer etc.) is often more than enough to get me interested. If I'm unfamiliar with the director and the crew, I might ask around a bit with people whose opinions I appreciate, and yet know they'll give me a spoiler-free recommendation. In the worse, I would a 2-sentence summary (like on IMDB) just to see what the films is about.

That being said, onward to the topic of The World's End itself:

It was a weaker experience for me too, when compared to its predecessors, but was nonetheless a great ride, shoulders above any most other comedies I've seen in the past few years, not counting the two that came before it. I personally felt it got a bit rushed towards the end, and the whole sense of the film was spiraling downwards in a faster and faster pace, culminating in a rather weird ending. But that's the whole twist of the film, and in a way, fits the theme of a whole pub crawl - the longer it lasts, the drunker you get, and the whole experience is more convoluted and nonsensical. I could probably be seeing a non-existent analogy here, but I like it that way.
Either way, it was a fun film, weaker but worthy of its predecessors. It had better music than previous films, as I recall. Despite relying on CGI heavily, it never felt forced upon me, like it feels with plenty of films - i.e. it was just a tool to bring story closer to the viewer, and not a central aspect of the film.
The script was solid, for the most part, but it lacked in regular, crack-you-up punchlines which two previous films had (at least in my memory), and it had a lesser slapstick approach, which resulted in me laughing a lot less, but still laughing a lot. I suppose I could even say it is darker than previous films - which is a weird statement, when compared to Shaun of the Dead - but I think the more realistic and everyday characters, as well as a troubled personality of Gary King (when compared to Pegg's two previous roles, of Shaun and Nick, respectively) which, despite being funny, felt rather depressive at the same time - not to mention the whole "reliving nostalgia" theme which culminates in an apocalyptic event.

In any case, it's sad you couldn't experience it fully, but it's still the weakest of the trilogy, so there you have it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's a movie about a group of cockney guys in community service, one of them has a girlfriend but he is a complete loser and the father of his girlfriend seems to be with the mob or with a Hooligan firm or something. So they decide to steal some old Barrel whiskey and sell it to Peter Petigrew, and they do, without major complications.... And that's 2 hours.

Lol, I just looked it up on wikipedia. Check this out.

Wikipedia said:
The Angels' Share has been met with critical acclaim. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 88% of critics gave the film a positive review, based on a sample of only 28 reviews, with a rating average of 7.2 out of 10.[SUP][10][/SUP] The film was nominated for theMagritte Award for Best Foreign Film in Coproduction

===============================

Yeah. The World's End was definitely hyped way to much. It turned out to be extremely medicore. I think I laughed like two or three times the entire two hours (or however long it was), and even then they were kind of low tone, "Hah..." type of laughs.

Hot Fuzz wasn't bad either, but I felt it ended up taking a turn mid-movie from comedy to drama. Kind of like Shaun of the Dead (which I actually did like).

Last edited:
Yeah, it really boggles my mind that this movie got "critical acclaim". It's the movie equivalent of boiled broccoli.

[snip]
You basically listed every possible reason why I avoid reading reviews, discussion and even watching trailers for almost any film. Seeing a trailer for something which you know will be relatively dumb in advance (i.e. new Transformers film) is all right, since you're not ruining your experience in any significant way.
[snip]
Eh, the thing is, I still like movie reviews. I just HATE when reviews lack the awareness that what they say may be spoiler, which is why I've consolidated most of my movie review viewership to Jeremy Jahns. He has spoiler reviews for when a movie or game or subject absolutely NECESSITATES talking about the details, but those are separate videos entirely to his non-spoiler reviews, and in those he is DEDICATED to not giving anything away when it's intended to come as a surprise to the audience. Unlike Movie Bob, whose reviews are LITERALLY movie clips (most of which he probably shouldn't be showing) while he talks over them, Jeremy Jahn's reviews are wittily edited (reminiscent of "Ask a Ninja" in how cut up they can be) with sparse- if any -usage of images or clips from the film/game he's discussing while the rest is him simply speaking to the camera. Unlike Jim Sterling, who has attributed moving AWAY from speaking to the camera as an improvement to his work, Jahns makes it work. He's a funny guy, and his reviews have always been informative without giving anything away, and his are the standard I hold other reviews videos up to. I hate that I hadn't caught on to the fact that Movie Bob was not a reliable and respectable critic before being spoiled about The World's End, but that's the least of the shit his work has put me through. It's a bummer I couldn't see better reviews that encouraged me to watch the film without giving away the important details, but ultimately, as you pointed out, the film was just weaker when pit against its predecessors. Not a bad film, per se, just lacking next to better.

For me, it was just a strange direction to take The World's End, because I didn't really see any cultural landmark that was being critiqued, unlike Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, both of which cleverly tackled plenty of pop culture cop outs. The sprawling conspiracy. The love triangle. The manner and filmography of zombie and cop films, themselves. They parodied them perfectly, while offering a solid film experience. But what was TWE parodying? It was just a story that never grabbed me like the previous titles, with characters I didn't get the opportunity to become invested in. I got invested in Shaun and Ed, I got invested in Nick and Danny, but I never felt a chemistry between Gary and Andy and I never felt like there was an opportunity to become invested in them. When Ed got bitten, I was deeply saddened that his death was inevitable. When Danny got shot, that scene was riveting and emotional. When Gary had his emotional monologue as Andy watched on, I just didn't feel anything, but I felt like I SHOULD feel something. It was a strange moment like that which symbolized the whole movie, for me; I felt like I should've been appreciating it further than I was. And yes, the ending just came out of nowhere, so I wasn't sure what to make of it. I just walked away from the film thinking, "Huh, well that happened." Compared to my reactions to the finalization of the previous two of giddy laughter at Shaun and Ed "being together" in the end, and, "Wow, that was AWESOME" with regards to the second's ending, I just felt somewhat let down by The World's End. I didn't hate it, far from it. It just didn't do much for me.

... the thing is, I still like movie reviews. I just HATE when reviews lack the awareness that what they say may be spoiler...

Atmokilla's right. You shouldn't read reviews for movies you want to see. Reviews are inherently spoilers even if they don't reveal specifics.

I enjoy reviews too, but I only read them for movies I've already seen or for movies I never intend to see.

Also, a reviewer should know if the movie is for him or not :D I've seen many, especially amateur reviewers, review movies that were not for them to see or review in the first place.
If I hate Hugh-Grant-type romantic comedies (and I do), don't let me review one for a newspaper or website :D

... the thing is, I still like movie reviews. I just HATE when reviews lack the awareness that what they say may be spoiler...

Atmokilla's right. You shouldn't read reviews for movies you want to see. Reviews are inherently spoilers even if they don't reveal specifics.
No, you don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying Jeremy Jahns IS the only reviewer I watch because he's aware of that and he DOES NOT do that.

For example:
In his Winter Soldier spoiler review, Jeremy explained how frustrating it was to point out stand-out performances in his regular review of the film because, for instance, he couldn't highly Samuel Jackson's job as Nick Fury for being a great character in this film because early on in the film Fury gets killed off. If he'd said anything, then viewers would start to put 2 and 2 together and begin to wonder, "Wait, but he said that Nick Fury is really badass in this film, but Nick Fury just died..." *clicks* "Oooooooooh, he's gonna turn up alive!" Sure enough, that happens. So in his regular review, he kept his mouth shut on such matters. He touched on the nature of the film and the manner it was filmed, and the pace of the film, and the overall acting in the film without naming particular characters, and the review expressed a clear enjoyment with a recommendation to watch it if you haven't already. That's just typical of his reviews, because that's how he handles them.
He essentially tells you why a movie is worth seeing or worth not seeing, but he doesn't give ANYTHING away, purely intentionally, because he's aware of how what he may say might potentially be interpretted and how that might spoil a film. I can easily attribute going out of my way to FINALLY see Silver Linings Playbook last year entirely on Jeremy Jahns' review of the film. Despite hearing all the singing praise for the film, despite all the awards it was getting and everyone I know telling me how great it is, I felt no desire to see it. This was before I hated Movie Bob's reviews, and even his recommendation didn't get me off my ass to finally see it.

There's reviews I would say are on another class that are "okay to see after you watch the film already", but that's a lower class of review because then it FAILS its job as a review, which is to sum up whether or not a film is worth seeing. A review has to both be something I can watch before or after seeing the movie in question, and either supplement my experience if I'm watching it afterward, or encourage my seeing the film if I'm watching it before. That's assuming, of course, that the films aren't complete shit and that the reviewers needn't insist on you avoiding them like the plague...... XD

Even if the reviewer doesn't mention any specifics at all, it's still a spoiler, in a way. If it's a positive review, your expectations will get higher than usual, and then the film couldn't potentially be a letdown, or vice versa. The neutral stance and approach to the film I've mentioned before is largely killed because of a third party's opinion (in a way, if you're a first party and the film is second...eh, never mind).
In any case, I'm basically giving an extreme example here, but such a problem is relatively common for me. My definition of a spoiler is extreme in itself.
I also read reviews, but only after seeing the film. They can, if well written, give you a new perspective of the film which you missed, or could never notice, since you're missing some sort of prior knowledge to say so (i.e. an omage to some earlier title you haven't seen).

Last edited:
Back