The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

it is pretty awesome what some achieved back then with the effects of mate paintings, stop motion and puppeteering. I have been watching a few classics again, like Alien and Robocop and the making-off to the movies. Its pretty interesting that many of those classics had artists working on the projects, I mean real artists and designers. Blade Runner is esentially a visual representation of Syd Meads ideas about the future. That was before it became a standart to get professionals doing the design for you.

http://ultramodernstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CarDesigns_16_syd-Mead.jpg

http://feedbagblog.blogspot.de/2011/04/syd-mead.html

I mean this guys a genious. And he inspired thousands of designers, graphic designers, concept designers and people working in enterainment industry.

That's another thing, yeah - most films (anything that's not inspired by actual real world history) have a very similar look to 'em. Especially the sci fi/fantasy ones. All the art is made by concept artists. I think there are probably only a few alright concept dudes out there, but most of 'em mash shit together and manage something barely average. Similar thing going on with games. Perhaps that's why I often prefer lo-fi graphics to detailed 3D. It's not so repetitive from game to game...

when you hear what Verhoeven, the director of the first Robocop has to say about the violence and why he chose to exagerate it so much

Tangentially, I think it's a bit weird how people always give Verhoeven credit for "satirical" violence considering all his movies are quite violent (Flesh + Blood, Total Recall etc.). Usually it's Starship Troopers that people get very apologetic about. But if someone is doing the same thing as everyone else, using the same aesthetics to evoke the same gut responses, does it really matter if they say they're doing it ironically?

Robocop is the only Verhoeven movie I've seen in which the violence is actually satirical. But then, I'm not sure why that's important in any way. His action and violence does have a cartoony quality though.

I saw Robocop in a theater when it first came out, and I remembered enjoying it. When I saw it again a few years ago I was pleasantly surprised by how well it had aged. It's more clever than I had recalled. It's one of those movies that will inevitably be worse as a remake from the closed-minded, mal-intentioned Hollywood of today.

Anyone here watched Robocop 2? Half in the bag said it was alright, worth a watch. That true?
It's schlocky, campy fun. It's not exactly a great movie but it entertains.

I think this should convince everyone easily. And proves that well written text, even a short one, coupled with very good acting does not need awesome sceneray to make great science fiction. Nothing can beat your imagination anyway. Right here with just those lines you can feel what the android has all seen eventually in his rather short life.
That scene was actually partially improvised/rewritten by the actor from the original script.
I'm not sure if Harrison Ford is acting or just going "omg this is fucking awesome".

That scene was actually partially improvised/rewritten by the actor from the original script.
I'm not sure if Harrison Ford is acting or just going "omg this is fucking awesome".
I believe actors were given that kind of liberty more frequently at that time. I can think of several examples. Caddyshack is a good one. Rodney Dangerfield came up with most of his own lines, and many of the scenes with one or both of Bill Murray and Chevy Chase (who hated each other) were improvised.

RIP Harold Ramis. One of the least appreciated but most important figures in the last 40 years of American comedy movies.

Comedies as a movie genre is what isn't appreciated. He wasn't very visible, but least appreciated? :wtf: By whom? Tweens?

Comedies as a movie genre is what isn't appreciated. He wasn't very visible, but least appreciated? :wtf: By whom? Tweens?
I think he's almost unknown to the public, despite all his success. By contrast Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Chevy Chase, John Belushi...those guys are household names.

Ramis has a core of fans, for sure, but he was almost invisible aside from Ghostbusters. It had to be by choice, so it's not some sort of injustice. In fact, if I were famous I'd want to be famous the way Harold Ramis was. I bet he could walk down the street in Chicago and most of the time nobody would hassle him.

So there making a new StarWars movie eh... when will it take place, during the early years of Darth Vader?

Disney's at the helm now, so their release schedule is supposedly going to match the Marvel films more than the original two trilogies. Depending on who you talk to, they're either going to do (loose?) adaptations of the post-RotJ "Thrawn" novels or focus on a new story entirely. There are at least two "spin-off" titles confirmed for 2016 and 2018, one of them reputedly about Boba Fett. What IS known is that Lawrence Kasdan (of Empire Strikes Back fame) is signed on, and that none of the original "big three" characters are being given central roles.

I really can't see Disney heeding any expanded universe stuff, other than as possible ideas to loot here and there.

A proper adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy would be too awesome for the universe to handle. Won't happen.

Disney, eh? Well, if they stick to the Disney M.O., there will be a hot red-haired girl who kicks ass. That's a given.

I re-watched On the Waterfront a few days ago. It's a great classic. Marlon Brando deservedly gets all the attention for that movie, but Karl Malden should not be overlooked.

EDIT: I've got to find a theater showing The Grand Budapest Hotel. First movie in a long time I'm looking forward to seeing.

Last edited:
Saw "300: Rise of an Empire" this weekend, it was a birthday present.

It's the same stuff as "300", but on sea and a lot darker. I liked it. I had a boner every time Eva Green appeared on screen. Which was a lot.

I watched a 1935 movie called Rendezvous with William Powell and Rosalind Russell. Not amazing, but pretty good. It's sort of a semi-comedy about a codebreaker trying to expose a German spy ring during World War I. If you like old-time espionage, you should enjoy it.

Back