The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

You would think so, but that trailer really doesn't make the LEGO movie any justice. Believe me I went to that one at my most cynical but ended up loving it.
Also is not "childish jokes" that get to me, it's the overabundance of toilet humor. But HttyD2 was still a good movie.
Edit: Also the references on the LEGO movie actually seem in place, being the LEGO movie an all, but they don't overly depend on them at all (except that part about Batman being one of the main characters).

Last edited:
That's what I'm trying to tell you.
No, it's not. *I* was adding onto what *you* were saying. I wasn't oblivious to it at all.

Seriously, I may need to start keeping track of when and how many times in a given time period that something I say or write is completely misunderstood, cause this is easily into the double digits, now, in less than a 12 hour period... <_<

Well I didn't misunderstand your post at all, I simply did not realize you were switching from arguing against me to arguing with me. That wasn't clear.

I still really need to see The Grand Budapest Hotel. I also saw Doc of the Dead, twas forgetable.

Well I didn't misunderstand your post at all, I simply did not realize you were switching from arguing against me to arguing with me. That wasn't clear.
How could I have switched from one to the other? I was NEVER arguing otherwise to begin with! o.o The person above you was a different person! They didn't even have an avatar! Mine's bright and animated!!!

No no no! We were on another page! There was a day in between! I couldn't have known! I didn't know. .

66037-Scrubs-JD-screams-internally-p-V37d.gif

That still doesn't look like it was taken with an extreme wide-angle lense, it can't be from a Wes Anderson movie.

I saw The Fallen Idol, from 1948. It was directed by Carol Reed and written by Graham Greene - the same team that made the classic The Third Man.

It's an interesting movie, and not at all what I expected. I didn't like it as much as The Third Man, but on the other hand I give it a lot of credit for being original. I can't think of another film like it. Most of the story is from the perspective of a child who either doesn't understand or misinterprets the actions of the adults around him.

Just got to watch Pacific Rim.
WELL
What can I say? I'm gonna skip the whole intellectual angle here, clearly it was made for nerds who like robots, multiplayer gaming, and japanese hotties but

cargoship as a sledgehammer

KABLAAAAAAAAM RAKOOOOOOOM KRABALAAAAAAAAAAM :O

I tried to give Pacific Rim a chance, because SOMEBODY asserted repeatedly that it was a great movie and important for moviegoers to flock to in an effort to show the big wigs that creative, new IPs are worth investing in. Well, that wasn't enough. I couldn't care how "creative" Pacific Rim was if it wasn't captivating and interesting. I practically hosted my own personal MST3k for myself as I watched it, since I reflexively called out trope after cliche after tired beaten dead horse BEFORE they came out. Yes, Die Hard had a moment with the government assholes coming along and douchily taking command away from police, but they INVENTED that trope. Pacific Rim didn't invent any new tropes, it just rehashed old ones. When the scientist wants to study the alien lifeform to possibly capture its power, that's older than Alien, and has been reused to the point of exhaustion in the decades since. Creative, my ass...

It wasn't a terrible movie by any stretch, but it wasn't a good one by any stretch, either.

Frankly, as much as the same person who praised Pacific Rim as creative and new and worth endorsing simultaneously condemned Man of Steel as marketed, shallow, and "production by committee" among other insults and complaints... sorry, but Man of Steel was a FAR better film. Great? No, not by any means. I agree with most who say that it was retarded with how much real estate destruction the movie used, and that any analysis of Super Man trying not to kill flew out the window when bursting through a gas station in a violent fireball doubtless killed a bunch of people, and that was just one of DOZENS of such collateral damage scenarios. The movie had problems, but it was still more entertaining for me than Pacific Rim was. Y'know what it wasn't? A brand new, daring IP venture. I'd like to see some good ones, but I won't endorse a film like Pacific Rim JUST to endorse the idea of doing something else. Sorry, but "was it a good movie" remains the most important thing to me. I don't care about anything else.

Snap, I have the fleetign suspicion that you don't know what a cliche even is. And seriously one thign is not enjoying the movie because yo ucouldn't care, but if the only thign yo uare gonna do whe nwatchign a movie is to focus on what you have seen before instead of the movie as a whole, why even bother watchign new movies? You can do that with everything (news, Die Hard didn't invent that "cliche" you call either, so..... yeah..... and the scientist wanting to investigate the alien force a cliche? So they should've just sat on their asses with a calculator for it to not be a cliche?). As I have said, for somethign to be completely devoid of what you call cliches they would need to be purely surreal and post modernist pieces then. A character havign a goal is not a cliche, neither is one of the factions advancing their position....

It might be too much to expect every movie to invent new tropes, but I agree with SnapSlav. I found Man of Steel entertaining, barring a few head scratcher moments. I liked the way they grounded the superman character and mythos. And I found the fights between these superbeing a unique way of executing action compared to most superhero or action movies, which made it very enjoyable to watch.

I liked Man of Steel too. No idea why it got so lambasted by everyone. Altho I heard a lot of whinning about "property damage". Do people want to be fantasy lawyers or something?

Snap, I have the fleetign suspicion that you don't know what a cliche even is. [rest snipped]
And once again you'd be completely mistaken. Perhaps Die Hard wasn't the first fiction to use the "Yeah well not anymore you're not" phrase between "FBI dick A" and "Beat cop B", but it was certainly one of the older ones to do so. It no less than popularized it, which is why it rose to such prominence in the 80s and 90s. It's also time to whip out that belt again and carve another notch, cause at what point did I say I ONLY watched a film by critiquing its use of repetitive and overused tropes? Never? Right, I never said that. I said that I was able to point them out with such absurd frequency that it killed any suspension of disbelief. That it made a non-comedic scene into a joke. That's what gamers call "breaking immersion" but what's most commonly known across multiple mediums as killing suspension of disbelief. You suspend your disbelief for the sake of the fiction, but when it announces its awareness of the fourth wall too many times, it doesn't matter whether you're actively trying to spot those cliches or if you're trying very hard to immerse yourself in the experience; you can't HELP but be taken out of it because you notice the awkward frequency with which it announces itself to its audience AS fiction. Granted, that doesn't mean that addressing the fourth wall is universally bad, there's plenty of genres that make wonderful use of it and enhance themselves as a result. But Pacific Rim was not one of them. It wasn't trying to be tongue-in-cheek. It wasn't trying to be The Joker. It was tying to be something you could take seriously by suspending your disbelief, and it made too many missteps to allow the audience to do so to establish a connection with the film.

I just saw 'Enemy' (2013) and I think this movie is bullshit.

Yeah oh wow the spiders are a metaphor for fascism and shit wow so deep

I saw Underworld: Evolution again, during one of its late night runnings on a night I couldn't sleep. I mean, what else can I say about the movie other than "Kate Beckinsale is hot"? It's hard for me to piece together what makes an Underworld movie good or bad, because it's pretty much just that, showing off that Kate Beckinsale is seriously smoking. Here, she's walking around in tight black glistening leather. Here, she's wearing a corset, too. Here, she's got pump-healed boots. Here, she's naked! I know stuff's going on in the film, and I'm able to think analytically about it, but ultiamtely that fades into the background of watching Kate Beckinsale being hot. I can't help but feel that was deliberate. If the movie's attempt at a different interpretation of Vampires and Werewolves wasn't enough, here's Kate Beckinsale, isn't she hot?

Mythbusters debunked one of the series particular action scenes like when Selene used 2 uzis to "saw through" the floor beneath her to make a quick escape, and in general have debunked much movie action, so it's not like the action is particularly striking. It's one of those film series that's just constantly dark (I mean, we're dealing with Vampires here, it's USUALLY gonna be dark) so the lighting can be tough to review. The direction is fine, the plot comes off as consistent and paints the picture of a believable reality in which the events took place. The characters do make you wonder what it is about vampires leading nocturnal lives that necessitates everyone wear black clothes, apart from existing as aspirational role models for goths and emos, but at least they make it look good. The fang prosthetics which are ever-present are visible, but doesn't impede the actors' speech with noticeable lisps and slurring. White vampires are pale, so that makes sense.

It's all quite good, but watching the second film again, it just struck me that I wasn't sure how thoroughly I COULD analyze the film or any of the rest of the series, because really, it's mostly "Kate Beckinsale is hot, so let's watch her be hot wearing hot clothes which accentuate that she's hot, shall we?"

I need to get my hands on those movies right away!

Also, I recently saw:
The Last of the Mohicans, 5/5.
The Edge of Tomorrow, a very positive 3/5.
The Game, 3/5.

Back