The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

My favorite cop movie of all time. The atmosphere of the city, the dark soundtrack (very hardcore (almost stepping into serialism) for a movie like this) and the pace are all done right. Every time i watch it, it just feels fresh and is one of not so many movies that i can always recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long time visitor here, ever since FO1 was released. Just wanted to share my thoughts on the new Mad Max movie coming out. Worstusernameever commented he couldn't see Tom Hardy playing the lead role. I think it was perfectly cast with Charlize Theron an added bonus , ever seen AEon Flux?
Also, need to check out a movie Tom Hardy was in called "Bronson". This dude can act!

Watched "12 years a slave", at first I was like "lol, I bet this is the schindlers-list of blacks or something!" nope, it wasn't. More like "passion of the blacks".
Most of the movie I was sitting there going "holy shit I get it I get it I get it! Stop tormenting me!!!"

I think movie makers sometimes should understand that this is a big world, and not everyone is guilty. Not all whites are guilty of whipping negroes into strings of meat, seriously. Norwegians had absolutely zero black slaves, we got our first black person moving here in the 1960s or so. My mother, and other kids, ran over to him to gawk and touch his skin.
WE ARE INNOCENT D:

The movie also had an annoying air of: Whites everywhere. The whites are like the rollercoaster, and the black dude rides along our ups and downs. White people allow him to live like white people, then white people trick him, and white people betray him, then white people treat him fairly, then white people treat him poorly, then white folks come along and pick cotton - this makes him pensive "holy whoah, a white folk pickin cotton, I better reconsider everything I ever thought about whites!" then he's betrayed w the same white dude "I guess... that means.. eh." finally he is even more betrayed by whites untill he is resqued by whites, and RUNS (yes) into the arms (yes) of the guy who bought him free exactly like the black dude in an earlyer scene, where this very behaviour was portrayed as desperate and pathetic.

Blacks of the world. Wait for whites to fix your problems. Untill then, succumb to pathetic behaviour, and take a learning from the funeral scene, where he - little by little - surrenders to the slave song.

What a weird movie...

Am I being unfair with it?

Btw, the new Mad Max movie trailer reminds me of Fallout 3. Now my friend is gonna be all "ISN'T THE TRAILER THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!? _THAT_ IS WHAT FALLOUT WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE: SEXY BITCHES AND CGI!!!"* and we're gonna be having bothersome discussions again, where he considers me completely unreasonable, for not wishing that all forms of entertainment could be turned into first-person-shooting games.

*He says this about everything, in his hopes that it will appeal to me, since I love Fallout, like Planet of the Apes "THAT is Fallout-ish!" Breaking bad "THAT is what Fallout was always meant to be!" Living Dead "THAT is Fallout for real!"**

**He only ever played FO3, and considers 1 and 2 as ripoffs-back-in-time-failure-disasters that he will never touch.

Last edited:
My favorite cop movie of all time. The atmosphere of the city, the dark soundtrack (very hardcore (almost stepping into serialism) for a movie like this) and the pace are all done right. Every time i watch it, it just feels fresh and is one of not so many movies that i can always recall.
It's the lost art of filmmaking. Especially action filmmaking.

My favorite cop movie is L.A. Confidential. Unless you call Blade Runner a cop movie.

L.A Confidential is really good. Rollo Tomassi.

See also Chinatown (Jack Nicholson), The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep (Humphrey Bogart), and Harper (Paul Newman). You might also like Bullitt (Steve McQueen), although that's set in San Francisco. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

My favorite cop movie is L.A. Confidential. Unless you call Blade Runner a cop movie.

L.A Confidential is really good. Rollo Tomassi.

See also Chinatown (Jack Nicholson), The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep (Humphrey Bogart), and Harper (Paul Newman). You might also like Bullitt (Steve McQueen), although that's set in San Francisco. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

I'll go with Bullitt and The French Connection!

Watched L.A. Confiential just now. It really made wanna reinstall L.A. Noire!

The kinda movie where I check how much is left, because I want there to be hours and hours left :D

As for the cop movies, Assault on Precinct 13 (USA, 1976) and Hard Boiled (Hong Kong, 1992) are all right in my book. Also, this reminded me of Brother (Japan, 2000) - very good gangster movie with excellent Takeshi Kitano, no cops though.

I'm curious. How do you come away from a film that you find bores you and decide to recommend it as a guilty pleasure?
I didn't recommend it as anything, but it's a guilty pleasure flick to Atomkilla so some people have that reaction.
Recommend, acknowledge, call, whatever. You said "as a guilty pleasure", and I was wondering how you could regard something as a guilty pleasure if you came away from it not liking it. To me, liking something is the bare minimum necessity for something to be a pleasure, be it guilty or otherwise. To me, what designates a thing- movie or otherwise -a "guilty pleasure" is a thing that I liked, but I feel almost ashamed that I like it, but can't bring myself to hate it, despite said shame. That's why throwaway snacks are guilty pleasures; their nutrition value is questionable, but your palate can't get enough of em. I was just saying, if I'd walked out of a theater feeling completely disappointed at what I just saw, I couldn't imagine considering that a guilty pleasure, because the "pleasure" component just isn't there.

There is charm on the Expendables?
Aside from Terminator, I am not that much of a fan of those old 80's/early 90's action movies...
Of course they had charm. They weren't over-the-top action and gratuitous visceral violence because it was the 80s and we think that this is cool. They were over-the-top action and gratuitous visceral violence because it was cool in the 80s and it's just plain hilarious and silly right now. That self-effacing quality is in no small part very charming, and The Expendables was full of that. Good films? Eh, not really, but they were time-piece parodies, and their jokes, references, and form were spot-on in that regard. Something as simple as a character calling Schwarzenegger's character "[Wanting] to be President" as a reference to his time as Governor of California is a good chuckle (and scores more points if you're a native Californian, like myself). They were delightful movies, if nothing else. They weren't deep. They weren't particularly awesomely directed. They weren't particularly well-choreographed. They were just self-aware callbacks that had just the right amount of comedy mixed in with their absurd levels of guns and explosions to be a fun time for all. You didn't have to be a fan of the 80s action films to enjoy it, it just helped to catch all their in-jokes if you were.

The Expendables are an antonym for "fun", if you ask me. Second part was okayish tho.
Eh, I found both to be very dull. [Rest snipped]
Nothing more to say other than what I said in the above. They weren't meant to be the resurgence of action films from the 80s, they were joke films from the get-go, so all that lack of complexity was all very deliberate. Again, their qualities (and they are objectively qualities) don't set them apart as GREAT films, they just set them apart from bad films because they didn't do these gimmicky things out of mistake, they did it deliberately because it's silly/stupid/funny. I can't say enough how great the payoff was in the first film from a character showing off his gun- a fully-automatic shotgun -talking about it and he pets it lovingly, and then an hour later finally seeing him fly into a fit of rage, firing it off in a deafening cascade of explosive noise, watching bodies fly backward with gristle and blood spatter exploding as he slowly strides forward holding this massive, ridiculous weapon at waist height (somewhat phallic), blasting away at all before him without ceasing. It was hilarious beyond words, and when I saw that scene my friends and I teared up because we were laughing so hard. If that scene weren't a joke, you'd worry over the portrayal of such graphic violence being conveyed as so nonchalant, but it was a joke scene, it wasn't meant to be glorifying the violence, but a catharsis and gimmicky scene filled with plenty of laughs, and they pulled it off 100%.

They're simple films, so no part of any discerning moviegoers brains should be feeling particularly "rewarded" for watching any The Expendables movies, but they come away having a good time, regardless. That's why I say they ARE definitively "fun" (not an antonym), and an absolute guilty pleasure.

To me, what designates a thing- movie or otherwise -a "guilty pleasure" is a thing that I liked, but I feel almost ashamed that I like it, but can't bring myself to hate it, despite said shame.
Cherry 2000 (USA, 1987) is one of the movies which meets this criteria perfectly. It's typical stuff from the eighties, with stupid script, funny clothes and hairdos, naive romance.. On the other hand, it has its own share of good things too. Decent post-apo setting, young Melanie Griffith, great exteriors around Las Vegas without any digital tricks and a lot of sexbots! :look:

They're simple films, so no part of any discerning moviegoers brains should be feeling particularly "rewarded" for watching any The Expendables movies, but they come away having a good time, regardless. That's why I say they ARE definitively "fun" (not an antonym), and an absolute guilty pleasure.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot agree with this.
You have your own opinion on the film, that's okay, you liked it because of this or that, that's alright too, but don't write generalizations like this, please.
I know quite a number of people who thought The Expendables were boring. Utterly boring. And no, these were not people introduced to action films for the first time. These are people who have, like me, grown up on '80s action films and its awesomeness, silliness and whatever.
Back to myself and my own opinion, I thought that, even for a mindless shootfest that it was, it was boring. The only reason why I watched from the beginning to the end is because I was hoping there would be some redeeming factor in it all. I found none.
Hell, I enjoyed Rambo 4 or whatever its name was more. And I thought that film was rubbish, but at least I laughed at couple of moments.

The Expendables just weren't any fun for me. It was not even a guilty pleasure. Sure, it had several references here in there, it had some solid action sequences, it was cool seeing all those action film legends together on screen and so on, but bottom line, I didn't find any part of it to be entertaining in any noteworthy or memorable way.
It may be a simple film, its hardly supposed to contain any thought-provoking message or anything in that regard, and naturally I didn't look for anything like that in it, but even as a simple, violent and (supposedly) entertaining film, it failed in every regard for me - and I was simply expecting to be entertained, nothing more.
I wasn't.

Last edited:

You have your own opinion on the film, that's okay, you liked it because of this or that, that's alright too, but don't write generalizations like this, please.
I wrote explained, specified examples. Who's the one generalizing? I'd say it's the one who says, flat-out, "[this is] an antonym for 'fun'". Not "I think it is", no, "is". Fact of the matter is, opinion aside, the movies ARE fun. Mindless fun, and that doesn't mean they're definitively boring or definitively exciting; those are separate notions to whether they're fun. You can have fun and still be bored, after all, otherwise kids wouldn't burn ants with magnifying lenses. Whether the movies bore you or not does not immediately make them unfun.

Of course maybe millions of people have enjoyed the expendables. At least enough for two sequels to be made. But I have to agree with Atom here, the only remotely fun aspect of those movies for me is the novelty of all the old actors teaming up, and that's pretty much it. The action is too generic and bland to be any fun. At least, that's how I feel about the first and second movie. I don't expect the third to be any different.

I recently watched a documentary about the palestinian conflict. I find it hard to have even a shred of sympathy for Israel or its goals. It surely is one of the most depressing facts that a nation of jews, who know all too well how their people had suffered, are now inflicting a similar kind of suffering on the palestinian people. There are stories of families seperated by barbed wires, people unable to travel by being barred at checkpoints, infants dying of thirst or other causes because of being held up at such checkpoints. Apparantly israeli soldiers even use palestinian people and children as human shields. It beggars belief. But I suppose this all springs from religious fervor.

I wrote explained, specified examples. Who's the one generalizing? I'd say it's the one who says, flat-out, "[this is] an antonym for 'fun'". Not "I think it is", no, "is". Fact of the matter is, opinion aside, the movies ARE fun. Mindless fun, and that doesn't mean they're definitively boring or definitively exciting; those are separate notions to whether they're fun. You can have fun and still be bored, after all, otherwise kids wouldn't burn ants with magnifying lenses. Whether the movies bore you or not does not immediately make them unfun.

Didn't you find like 100 "cliches" on the story? I mean, those movies don't even try anything other than nostalgia grabbing, they don't even have good action.

I'm sorry, I hate self-quoting, but I have to do this:
The Expendables are an antonym for "fun", if you ask me.

That's a personal opinion. My own opinion about the film. I'm not generalizing that it's not fun for everybody. I'm saying it wasn't fun for me. Either you read it wrong, or I don't know...
In the following post, I wrote that I know several more people who didn't think it was fun. And that I do. Granted, I cannot offer any substantial evidence about that at this moment, given that it is impossible since none of those people are members of this forums making it impossible for them to confirm my story, but whether you want to give me the benefit of the doubt is up to you.

As for the statement itself, that the film is not fun (again, from my perspective), that is hardly a generalization. Because, for me, it wasn't. And it's the personal opinion that matters here.

Fact of the matter is, opinion aside, the movies ARE fun.

I'm sorry, again, I think this is really wrong.
A film, any film (or any work of art for that matter), is prone and supposed to be evaluated by the personal and subjective impression of the viewers. There is not some objective matter of evaluation so that you could simply label it "opinions aside". That's just wrong in itself. If you remove the personal opinion about films, then there's nothing left.
So no, you cannot say that opinions aside, films are fun. That's a generalization, not a fact.
Not every film is fun, not for me, no. And I'm not putting this in a general context, I'm not trying to shove an opinion down a someone's throat, I'm merely pointing out that the particular film was utter shit for me and not fun. And I do not see how anyone or anybody can change my opinion about that.

Whether the movies bore you or not does not immediately make them unfun.

If a film does bore me and offers me no satisfaction whatsoever, be it in the terms of storyline, quality of cinematography, music, acting or whatever other aspect there is, then yes, I will label it unfun. Little details which may be somewhat worthy are not automatically an redeeming factor and hardly change my opinion. So yeah, when it comes to films like The Expendables which, in my opinion, weren't supposed to be anything more that a "fun generator" to begin with, and they fail at it, yeah, there's no saving grace. They are not fun, they're pure rubbish and I hardly see a reason why I should watch them again or why I should try to pick out the good (which I find to be almost nonexistent here) from the bad.

Tastes differ. Like I've said, if you enjoyed the film, that's all right, but please, do not try to persuade me into saying it was fun or that I liked it, because, given the direction in which this conversation goes, I'm getting a strange feeling that it is exactly what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Didn't you find like 100 "cliches" on the story? I mean, those movies don't even try anything other than nostalgia grabbing, they don't even have good action.
Yeah, see, like I said already, it's the pot calling the kettle black when you go out of your way to assume I don't know what a cliche is. I mean, you really don't get it. How can my legitimate gripe with an uncreative cop-out storytelling method that reeks of uncreativity be triggered by deliberate satire that pokes fun at those frustrating story tropes? It's like suggesting that if I hate cop dramas that I'd likewise hate The Naked Gun, and nothing could be further from the truth (or make less sense).

I'm sorry, again, I think this is really wrong.
A film, any film (or any work of art for that matter), is prone and supposed to be evaluated by the personal and subjective impression of the viewers. There is not some objective matter of evaluation so that you could simply label it "opinions aside". That's just wrong in itself. If you remove the personal opinion about films, then there's nothing left.
And I completely disagree with you on this. OF COURSE there's room for an objective absolute, philosophically speaking. There are definitives, and then there are subjectives, and while there's abundant opportunity for overlap, they're not the same thing. Objectively, the movies I referenced were tongue-in-cheek, never serious, and outright parodies that sought pure entertainment value and nothing more. They didn't attempt to be serious and they joked at every opportunity they had AT the prospect of sincerity. That's objective fun, or at least objective ATTEMPT at being fun. Whether or not you enjoy it is where the subjective element enters the equation, and of course you have your prerogatives in that regard.

Tastes differ. Like I've said, if you enjoyed the film, that's all right, but please, do not try to persuade me into saying it was fun or that I liked it, because, given the direction in which this conversation goes, I'm getting a strange feeling that it is exactly what you're trying to do.
No, it's not. It flat-out is not what I EVER attempt to do at ANY time. Convincing others is for the evangelists, and I despise that methodology. I share ideas in the hope that it gets the gears turning, and if the product of that is "conversion" then... well okay. But I much prefer conflict. I want opposition because THAT is where you get the enlightenment from. The caveat on this approach, however, is that it must be and hinges entirely on objectivity. Without objectivity, the conflict is meaningless and superficial, and if one side can't stand on its own integrity to be based upon absolutes then it just falls back under the protective shadow of Daddy Subjective. Few things are as intellectually stagnating as over-reliance on subjectivity and falling back on "opinion", and as such few things will rile me up as statements that deliberately and openly rely on "opinion". God, the horror stories I could tell of those high school classes where an ENTIRE generation of kids, upon taking a class that discussed the topic of "relativity versus objectivity", began to answer EVERY question with "It's all relative" because they learned how easy it is to avoid thinking for themselves..... *shudder* Anywho, the less you fall back on subjectivity, the better. I'm not trying to convince you that a movie you did not like is a movie you should like. I'm trying my damnedest to eradicate every vestige of subjectivity from your vernacular, starting from the microcosm. =P It's what I ALWAYS do, and always will do.

Being that you're such a shining example of objectivity, I imagine that you yourself possess an immaculate organ of perfect objective perception, unclouded by any subjectivity whatsoever, no?

If that is indeed the case, then I hardly have anything to say anymore. Good luck with your cause. It is among the most senseless ones I've ever heard of. (Don't take this is as an insult).

Back