The Ultimate Movie Thread of Ultimate Destiny

Watched Wreck-It Ralph. It was all I was expecting!... A rather bland reprisal of the Shrek Idea, covered in pandering and flashy images.

It felt like a lot of wasted Potential. They spent most of the movie in the Candy Land game. Seemed mroe liek they were trying to make a Strawberry Parfait movie but needed to rework it for marketing so they made the introduction and changed Character Designs.

I only laughed at the Joke about the Gears of War Esque character's Backstory (can't even remember her name, she was that NOT IN THE MOVIE).

Just returned from Django. Fairly standard Tarantino fare, helped by really good actors. Waltz is among my favourites, DiCaprio visibly has tons of fun, and Samuel L. motherfucking Jackson delivers an unusualy subdued yet effective performance. The anti-slavery is heavy-handed as expected (killing people seems to be a-Ok however), but it's not politically correct, expect the N-word to ring every minute or so. Action is overblown as per usual, there's a few cringe-inducing scenes too.

Overall I'd rank it behind Pulp Fiction and the Basterds, but before Reservoir Dogs and the rest of his films.

So I just saw Cloud Atlas. What a load of bullshit that was. God damnit, you just had to make it 3 hours long too? It's like 'the fountain' a load of hipster shit that pretends to be more than it is.
Just look at this quote from director lana wachowski.

Andy Wachowski stated about critics "As soon as they encounter a piece of art they don’t fully understand the first time going through it, they think it’s the fault of the movie or the work of art. They think, 'It’s a mess [ ...] This doesn’t make any sense.' And they reject it, just out of an almost knee-jerk response to some ambiguity or some gulf between what they expect they should be able to understand, and what they understand."[28]
In the same interview, Lana Wachowski stated "People will try to will Cloud Atlas to be rejected. They will call it messy, or complicated, or undecided whether it’s trying to say something New Agey-profound or not. And we’re wrestling with the same things that Dickens and Hugo and David Mitchell and Herman Melville were wrestling with. We’re wrestling with those same ideas, and we’re just trying to do it in a more exciting context than conventionally you are allowed to.

I don't dislike your movie because It's too complicated, or I don't understand it. I dislike it because I do understand it, but it's not good enough.

At least it's not as dull as the fountain though. They spruced it up with some characters, action and effects.

I hate that defense so much. ''You uncivilized primates cannot hope to even begin to contemplate the brilliance of my genius!''. Just shut the fuck up and accept criticism.

If it's anywhere as preachy and dull as The Fountain (or other similar works), I will stay well away from that movie.

Speaking of preachy movies..The Lorax. Just awful. I get it, cutting down trees is bad. Now entertain me or shut the fuck up.

Finally saw ARGO- loved the plot, but it didn't wow me. Everything was done right (especially the cast), that it was maybe TOO right. I feel like Affleck wanted an ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN but polished the 70's too hard.

SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK Lovely- it was fun and sincere, and probably David O. Russell's most straightforward film. God, I love Jennifer Lawrence.

Ilosar said:
I hate that defense so much. ''You uncivilized primates cannot hope to even begin to contemplate the brilliance of my genius!''. Just shut the fuck up and accept criticism.

If it's anywhere as preachy and dull as The Fountain (or other similar works), I will stay well away from that movie.

Well I made that post literally after clicking exit on my movie viewer. So the hate was still fresh. But I sat through it to the end, unlike the fontain. It does have some things going for it. A multitude of story arcs, , the overarching plot, actors like tom hanks and the special effects and some action.

Watched the Cloud Atlas twice now. Gets better the second time round, when you more or less grasp the relationship between the characters and their stories.

If I'm going to watch Frobisher commit suicide a third time, I'm probably going to break down and cry, though.

Tagaziel said:
Watched the Cloud Atlas twice now. Gets better the second time round, when you more or less grasp the relationship between the characters and their stories.

You're quite strong-willed, man... I wouldn't dare sit down and watch that movie again. It was too long of a journey.

Well seeing as the original John Carpenter flick is one of my fav. horror movies, I know the ending already. They all die. Good.

mobucks said:
The Thing (2011)

Stupid, a waste of time. I turned it off about 1/2 way through.

I can't remember where, and I don't want to find out again, but I remember that one article on the internet tried defending the remake of The Thing by bringing up the special effects, and said that they were sub-par. The Thing's special effects.

Those special effects were so visceral I had nightmares about them as a child. I miss puppetry so much.

It's one of my favorite horror movies but I still have to pump myself up to re-watch it.

The CGI in the new movie tried to re-create that obviously, but had nowhere near the same effect the old one still has on me.

Joelzania said:
...tried defending the remake of The Thing by bringing up the special effects, and said that they were sub-par. The Thing's special effects.
Because CGI is better than anything that has come before, just like every cRPG needs to be converted into a FPS.

I watched an old movie called I'll Be Seeing You from 1944, with Joseph Cotton, Ginger Rodgers, and Shirley Temple. I like it when an old movie sucks me in, and this one did, even though I wouldn't say it's a great film. It's about a WW2 combat veteran with what we would call PTSD, which is an interesting subject for a movie that was made during WW2.

CGI can be prety rad, but it's practical effects that are always the best. A properly done mix, that uses CGI to enhance and smooth practical effects comes out the best, usually.

Back