There's two kinds of people in the world

zegh8578

Keeper of the trout
Orderite
Those who will squash a spider, and those who will let it outside.

There are of course nuances, there are those who might show their cat where to find and snack on the spider - but let it out if the cat is not available.
There are those willing to compromise - let the spider live, if there's someone there to let it out - if not squash it to hell.

Twice this year I've plucked an insect out of abandoned spider webs. I figure "survival of the fittest" will simply have to deal with fellow organisms deciding to meddle a bit in the course-of-nature now and then, after all, I am nature too! I did feel a bit ripped off when one of the resqued flies decided to wander right into another abandoned web after I watched it clear the last piece of sticky web from its wings.
I once fed a wasp some ham. It cut off a little piece, and flew away with it. Simply adorable!

If my patience is thoroughly tested, however, I become murderous >:I

How do you relate to bugs?

Disgusted. I don't like to interact with the big insects, like a large spider or some kind of maggot-type bug (because of their rigid, fast movement, mostly). I'm not really as afraid of wasps as many people seem to be, though. Not quite comfortable knowing it might as well sting me, but still fairly chill.

I killed this spider that was trying to get in my bedroom once. This was about three months ago if I remember. Ever since then its' body has been plastered to my wall, and I don't want to move it. What I have noticed is that no insects will come into my room now. With a warning sign like a dead arachnid, no wonder they don't. Problem solved.

Two kinds of people?

Sure. :roll:

All I see are 7 billion idiots whom I have nothing in common with. Except the fact that I too have to take a shit from time to time. But apart from that? No, nothing in common. Sorry.

You might be surprised. For example, ol zegh here is also a failed writer who spends way too much time masturbating.

Formerk said:
You might be surprised. For example, ol zegh here is also a failed writer who spends way too much time masturbating.

You can always count on Farmerk... :lol:

I stepped on a red wasp the other day with my bare feet at 2 in the morning, needless to say I pummeled it repeatadly with my fist after that. Bastard stung my poor wittle foot... I'm not one to get scared by insects, but I do find myself disliking the souless little creatures, especailly flies, grasshoppers, wasps, and locusts. They're more of a nuisance than anything else.

I laughed at Alec's post. Exploaded at Formerk's. :clap:

I have bugs in my summer camp. The basement door is 7 strips of pine; more suited to a shed door or a fence gate than a home exterior door. There is a dead beetle right next to my keyboard. Mr. Spider sometimes spins his way down from the ceiling to watch me masturbate to pictures of Buxbaum. There is always a spider in the sink. Spiders are cool as long as they stay under the size of a quarter. If they go bigger, I won't be in that room for the rest of the day. OOH! That beetle next to the keyboard moved. He was on his back all day yesterday. Just flipped him over and now he is on his way home.

How do you relate to bugs?

I don't like them damn aliens. Yes aliens, that's what them bugs are. They have nothing in common with our mamal bros or our bird/reptile/amphibian/fish cousins. Even our cars have more in common with us then those damn alien bugs and that is God's honest truth.

I don't go rampant on killing any bug in sight, tho, because even aliens deserve to live; imo, life is an universal right... until the bug mess with me of course. I have no love for them, will kill them if i find them crwling on me/my bed/my food/etc, and only ants & bees - hard working bugs, imo - have a chance of being pushed away instead of smashed to pieces.

Flies? Give me a break, they're evil bugs, the very image of the hostile alien... they're too fast to kill, but if I could exterminate them I'd do it. No way in hell I'll save a fly from the spider's web.

Interesting fact: those thin spiders that live on wall corners, and those really small-fly-eater-spiders, I treat them like antes & bees just because they both catch flies, mwa ha ha ha ha! But those big spiders with hair, just like black widows and other evil spiders, I might just use a shotgun/flamethrower on them, from as far as possible. Same for scorpions and wasps.

Spiders are some of the most fascinating creatures out there. They are not only among one of the oldest creatures on earth (as far as I know) but they also are pretty much found everywhere from the desert to the cold regions and rainforests. And they have developed extremely effective habits over time.

I can see if someone is disgusted from spiders. Most of them don't have that "awwww look" (well jumping spiders maybe). But at least one has to admit that they are interesting.

Also -_- spiders have feelings too!

shocking-aids-advert_01.jpg

I have no clue what the hell species it was but while walking during a wet day a few weeks ago I nearly stepped on a huge black spider crossing the road. It wasn't a black widow but it had the same body shape and a red design on its back (not an hourglass and the red was darker) and the body was about the size of a largeish acorn (like i said it was a huge fukker). My first instinct was to try to find a leaf or a stick to take it home on and put it in the bush outside my window so I could take pics of it, it was hella neat looking. Couldn't find anything and eventually lost track of it in the grass and we both went on our merry ways.

Other bugs I'm ok with (except crickets, fuck those things) but I see spiders on the same level as wild rabbits or deer, only a jerkface would kill one out of spite :(

I hate insects and I try to ignore them as good as I can. If I see something in my house, I usually take a piece of paper and use it to move the insect outside.

My brother is very scared of bugs (he is the type to tennis-slap wasps my way, while I tell him to relax, and especially not aggravate the insect...), one time, after washing his face, he found the ruined little body of a long-leg spider, plus its loose legs in his hands, having rubbed it to death against his face :]

Alec, I can see you pointing out the inacuracy of "two kinds of people in the world", I'm sorry for expressing this kind of misinformation, but - it's not my "idea". I used it as a joke, and I believe it was popularized by the film "The good, the bad and the ugly" you should see it. It was also used in the computer game "Fallout 2". Otherwise, yes, congratulations, well observed, there are more than two kinds of people in the world. I exaggerated for humorous effect. Shame on me. Don't get me wrong tho, I absolutely appreciate it, you're welcome to keep redundantly pointing out obvious things in any of my posts!

zegh8578 said:

I just leave spiders inside my house. They eat the bugs that I don't like. Spiders are bros.

Courier said:
zegh8578 said:

I just leave spiders inside my house. They eat the bugs that I don't like. Spiders are bros.

I tend to leave them be too, but it depends where they have situated themselves. I don't need spiders exploring the move-in possibilities around my bed, on top of my computer monitor, on me, so these are shown to the outside. Those who have placed themselves out of my way, usually get to stay

They just want to chill out and eat bugs though.

Have a web, lay eggs, eat their partner ... you know, the arachnid dream. Why do you want to crush their dreams.

Courier said:
They just want to chill out and eat bugs though.

Have a web, lay eggs, eat their partner ... you know, the arachnid dream. Why do you want to crush their dreams.

I don't! I am thinking of their safety! And a little bit of my own hygiene as well - see anecdote about my brother washing his face with spider. Right outside my front door, there is spider haven. Flies are attracted to the glow from the window, and here spiders will build impressive webs. I've seen lots of action take place here, feeding, fighting, mating, egg-clusters, baby spiders. I have my cig breaks here, so I get to keep up with what's going on in spider-world.
These days I'm seeing a lot of spider mating, I guess they're hurrying up before winter. The webs are all abandoned, and there's only a few brave long-legs left.

I like wolf spiders. Funnel webs are good pets as well, one day they'd be all normal with dirt and such... The next their cage/nest would be covered in web. Good times, good times.

sheridanm962 said:
I like wolf spiders. Funnel webs are good pets as well, one day they'd be all normal with dirt and such... The next their cage/nest would be covered in web. Good times, good times.

Heh, good first post, in spider-thread with Spiderman avatar :D

As much as I like to know about creatures, I am very ignorant about exactly what kinds of spiders I'm surrounded with.
In a corner behind my cactus in the window that I rarely bother to clean, theres a three-dimensional area of pure web, clearly made to trap ground-bound bugs, but I've no idea what kind of spider made it.

zegh8578 said:
In a corner behind my cactus in the window that I rarely bother to clean, theres a three-dimensional area of pure web, clearly made to trap ground-bound bugs, but I've no idea what kind of spider made it.

Could be The coneweb spider.

Back