There's two kinds of people in the world

sheridanm962 said:
zegh8578 said:
In a corner behind my cactus in the window that I rarely bother to clean, theres a three-dimensional area of pure web, clearly made to trap ground-bound bugs, but I've no idea what kind of spider made it.

Could be The coneweb spider.

Checked and it doesn't exist here (Norway), with the thousands upon thousands of species, I wouldn't be guessing too much :D
They're cool critters tho, most of the time we're just busy avoiding or killing them (we, as in peoples), but once you try to study their behaviour, they have interesting little activities. I spotted a long-leg spider "crouch" down onto a fly, grabbing it, and run off with it, just like I read in a textbook :D It was fun to see it for real.

I'm fine with bugs and spiders that are outside. Even at work (a factory), the place is crawling with crickets. I'm cool with that. Ones I find inside my home are squashed with impunity. I try to exercise a little artificial selection to favor the ones that stay outside or completely hidden.

I vacuum spiders away.
I wasn't scared of spiders when I was a kid - on the contrary, I used to let them run up and down my arm when I was a kid to impress other kids. Until a spider bit me. Holy fuck that hurt.
Ever since then I'm as afraid of spiders as the next guy.

Two days ago, my dog brought a wee little fieldmouse in the house. The poor little thing was - though unhurt - soaked with slobber and probably scared out of his wits. My gilfriend was completely terrified and demanded I kill it... Now there's a fobia I don't get: mice. They're the cutest little things.
I put it in my breast pocket and took it with me on my dogs walk. Set it free in a corn field. That mouse and I are bros now.

That has got to be some of the most entertainingly articulate and detailed opener to "What do you think of bugs?" I may have ever read. Quite nice!

I'm of the category that SQUASHES spiders. I fucking hate them. You could say I'm arachnophobic, but you'd be wrong. I have a fear of and hate ALL creep crawly things... even the ones I know, rationally, I should let be. Spiders have a great purpose, but when one falls on my lap out from under my desk, or I spot one in my peripheral vision walking up my wall, I want it DEAD right then and there. On the other hand, I'll try to leave Daddy Long Legs be, but they get me jittery if I touch em. Even MOTHS creep me out. Damn things fly in my face, and while they may be perfectly harmless to me, I just don't like bugs! Growing up with a mother who gardened ALL the time, I'd hear quite often how this bug is a pest and that bug is good- all from a "good for MY garden" centric perspective, of course. But even still, whether or not a Praying Mantis is a "beneficial" insect, if that thing comes close to me... fucker's gonna die!

Jebus, when I was in kindergarden I poked a spider with a little piece of grass. It turned out to be a jumping spider. It jumped right towards my face, and out of view. I spasmed and jerked and shook and panicked, frantically brushing my hair. I never developed a fear of spiders - but - I've always remembered not to poke the bastards with anything...

SnapSlav, you sound just like my brother. He really is a fearless person, sometimes too fearless for his own good. He also knows, rationally, that there's nothing to fear from bugs, but he completely loses it with spiders and insects. Like you say, he wants it DEAD as soon as he sees it, and will waste no time in squashing it :D

i adore praying mantis. when i find it i let it walk on my trousers or bare hands or i tease it to grab my finger with those little hand claws
of it's.
I respect all other insects because they are amazing little organic machines. efficient, resilient, organized.

on topic:
I will hurt the one that hurt me first: i will gladly squash a moskito that bit me or wasp that stung me or beat a dog that bit me.
im peaceful until hurt.

Hahah. Sounds about right.

Even if my phobia of all things "buggy" is somewhat prolific, I AM fascinated by the little bastards. Before Discovery Channel is what it is, today, I used to watch "Wild Discovery" with my Grandfather, as a child. Seeing and learning about all these exotic creatures, many of which were insects and arachnids, always left me feeling "Wow, this is so cool!" In person..... different story.

By contrast, I know lots of people have phobias that go beyond the real deal that they can see and touch and even representations affect them. That same Grandfather I used to curl up beside and watch DC with had a FIERCE fear of snakes, and it didn't matter if the snake was just an image on TV, once it came on he'd be shaken up for a while.

Oh, yes, I know. I saw some arachnophobia treatment on tv. I think key in the treatment was to urge the patient not to hurt the spider while panicking - because it wasn't some random spider, it was loaned to them by an owner: The spider had an owner, it was someone's spider - and the phobiac suddenly had responsability FOR the spider. Inspired by this, I've tried to use this with mild cases of spider-scared people - rare cases of those terrified of the spider, but unwilling to kill it. By telling them that they must "save" the spider, "help" it to safety, it's as if a mental shift happens, and the spider suddenly holds no power over them, as it now represents something small, dumb and helpless, that needs their assistance to go somewhere safe.

I'm not Steve Irwin myself tho, and insects may strike a nerve with me as well. One time was on a tour bus through central Europe, with my class. My classmates of course knew that I was the "animal lover" type, so they called me when they found a bug on the seat. Now, being Scandinavian, we haven't seen REAL BUGS before, we got the kind that can hibernate. This bug was MASSIVE.
I hesitated, then hesitated some more, then guided this winged monster into my hand. So far so good. I go outside with it, open my palm, "Fly! Fly free!"
"Fly damnit... "
*shakes hand lightly*
*shakes hand more*
*waves arms, jumps up and down, spasms and twitches*

I dislike most insects, but can stand them. not especially afraid of wasps and the likes.

but spiders I despise. I squeek like a little girl if they get too close and are too big. if there's anyone nearby who can take care of them, I let them. I do not want to kill them however, I much rather let them outside. but it's not always so easy when you're scared shitless of them.

still, even though they are my worst nightmare, I find them really cool and fascinating. tarantulas are awesome.

TucoX said:
or beat a dog that bit me.

would you also punch a baby that bit you? keep in mind that there's a difference between an aggressive dog that attacks you, and a scared dog who defends itself or bites because it gets excited. or is simply playful.

aenemic said:
I dislike most insects, but can stand them. not especially afraid of wasps and the likes.

but spiders I despise. I squeek like a little girl if they get too close and are too big. if there's anyone nearby who can take care of them, I let them. I do not want to kill them however, I much rather let them outside. but it's not always so easy when you're scared shitless of them.

still, even though they are my worst nightmare, I find them really cool and fascinating. tarantulas are awesome.

Having faced the issue on many occations, you probably know, if not, heres a tip: glass or transparent cup of sort. Place it over the spider, trapping it, then slide a paper underneath (or a stiffer piece of cardboard, maybe an envelope you got laying around or something), for safe and easy transport to the outside :]

zegh8578 said:
Having faced the issue on many occations, you probably know, if not, heres a tip: glass or transparent cup of sort. Place it over the spider, trapping it, then slide a paper underneath (or a stiffer piece of cardboard, maybe an envelope you got laying around or something), for safe and easy transport to the outside :]

yup, that usually works. depends on the size of the little monster though. some I just won't go near. tiny spiders I have no problem with, but I'll let them outside just to avoid having webbing and spider babies in my apartment.

aenemic said:
would you also punch a baby that bit you? keep in mind that there's a difference between an aggressive dog that attacks you, and a scared dog who defends itself or bites because it gets excited. or is simply playful.

no need to think so rigid/narrowminded.

aenemic said:
zegh8578 said:

yup, that usually works. depends on the size of the little monster though. some I just won't go near. tiny spiders I have no problem with, but I'll let them outside just to avoid having webbing and spider babies in my apartment.

Are you a resident of tropical lands? :I
I am well aware I have been spared the worst bugs up here in the cold north. When I'm vacationing in Spain, especially on the countrysides, the bugs there actually freak me the hell out. Insects should NOT be bigger than my fingers :I

When I talk about a "big spider" it usually is no bigger than a little pea :I

I'm usually content to live and let live. Maybe I was a Buddhist in a former life or something-- killing anything I don't absolutely have to always puts a serious damper on my day and makes me feel like I'm compromising my principles. (Of course, living with two women as I do, one of whom is the sole arbiter of my sex life and peace of mind, I tend to compromise my principles more often than I'd like. In general, I still try to put them out or let them "accidentally escape," but any highly venomous insects in high-traffic areas of the house, I unfortunately don't feel licensed to take a chance on).

The exceptions are parasites and the "dirty" bugs-- roaches and flies, mostly-- which can be rationalized as self-defense. Also, for reasons I've never quite understood, the prospect of an ant invasion will swell a hatred in me that little else can match. Maybe their matriarchal communist-totalitarian way of life just clashes too deeply with my 'murican-schooled thought processes, who knows? Outside of my home, I'm fine with laying down a line of cinnamon to establish boundaries and letting them scurry off on their merry way, but once I find them in my space, it's go time. On more than one occasion, I've flipped all the furniture in a room and spent a painstaking span of time squashing them one-by-one. National Geographic has shown me just what sort of mercy they extend to intruders in their territory, so I never feel too bad.

yamu the agressive and angry ant killer.

That totally destroys my vision of you.

Mahatma-Gandhi_3.jpg

Lexx said:
If I see something in my house, I usually take a piece of paper and use it to move the insect outside.
I do the same, just with a glass and paper. Those eight legged acrobats are too damn fast!
How can you people make a spiders' cemetery of your apartment? Such a barbarism! :mrgreen:

Yamu said:
I'm usually content to live and let live. Maybe I was a Buddhist in a former life or something-- killing anything I don't absolutely have to always puts a serious damper on my day and makes me feel like I'm compromising my principles. (Of course, living with two women as I do, one of whom is the sole arbiter of my sex life and peace of mind, I tend to compromise my principles more often than I'd like. In general, I still try to put them out or let them "accidentally escape," but any highly venomous insects in high-traffic areas of the house, I unfortunately don't feel licensed to take a chance on).

The exceptions are parasites and the "dirty" bugs-- roaches and flies, mostly-- which can be rationalized as self-defense. Also, for reasons I've never quite understood, the prospect of an ant invasion will swell a hatred in me that little else can match. Maybe their matriarchal communist-totalitarian way of life just clashes too deeply with my 'murican-schooled thought processes, who knows? Outside of my home, I'm fine with laying down a line of cinnamon to establish boundaries and letting them scurry off on their merry way, but once I find them in my space, it's go time. On more than one occasion, I've flipped all the furniture in a room and spent a painstaking span of time squashing them one-by-one. National Geographic has shown me just what sort of mercy they extend to intruders in their territory, so I never feel too bad.
Good stuff. That reminded me of a couple stories from my childhood, or just "younger years" related to bugs and family...

When I was maybe 6 years old, part of my "daily play" was literally being instructed to get on my bicycle, and ride around the neighborhood a few times with my sister before coming back. It was literally conducted like a chore: "Do 3 laps or you can't come back". One such day of going out and riding around, my sister and I stopped at one particular driveway, because this neighbor ALWAYS obstructed the sidewalk with their vehicle, so we had to cautiously stop riding, look both ways, and walk into the street to pass this driveway. Good, responsible, kid stuff! =) While paused, I noticed a pill bug crossing the sidewalk from the street to the grass, and I fixated on it and watched it. Pill bugs were about the only kind of bug I didn't have a strong aversion to, and even enjoyed letting them crawl on me, but for some reason, I just looked at it for 10 seconds, and then ran it over with my bike wheel. My sister flew into a furious frenzy, and the rest of the way back home, she wouldn't stop bitching at me for killing "that poor and innocent rolly polly". When we got home, the first thing she did was tattle on me to our dad, blowing it out to have been me systematically torturing a peaceful little animal. Me being the absolutely honest person that I am- even back then -I didn't deny that I killed it, so I was punished immediately; essentially I was "grounded". I always resented them both for that, and even though it's trivial, I still sorta do. I can understand that there may have been some alarm at the prospect of raising a child into a sadist, and that this behavior was to be stamped out, but it wasn't the case, and in effect they ended up nurturing my sister's nature of embellishing to get her own way. Still, I DID instantly regret killing the little thing.

About the ants... MANY years later, when I was in college (maybe 19 or 20?) I was often "hired" by my family to do some form of labor around the house, which provided my loan/scholarship-dependent ass some form of income, and provided a service to my parents at a lower cost than hiring professionals. My parents paid me to dig up a section of yard so the soil could be turned over before new grass was planted, and I had them hire my best friend to join me. For one hot summer afternoon, with a couple CDs playing on repeat in a radio nearby, we dug up this section of yard. Suddenly we broke through some "hollow" ground, and there were ants EVERYWHERE!!! I mean in the blink of an eye, my shovel was crawling with them, when I accidentally stepped in the (now sinking) hole, my leg was COVERED with them... they. were. every.where. It ended up halting our progress, because it was a RIDICULOUSLY active nest literally feet away from the house, so we had to take action to contain/exterminate them, but for a few hours, that was a scene that both fascinated and jarred me. I mean... SO MANY ants!!! @_@

For a long time, still to this day, I have only ever "heard" about the so-called "dirty" bugs, such as roaches, as you mentioned, but I hear about them OFTEN. This is because my cousin is a Food and Health Safety Inspector for establishments, and she's rather obsessed with the vermin that she refers to when having places shut down. When her family goes out for dinner, it HAS to be at a restaurant that she'd personally inspected and OKed, or by a colleague she knew had equal integrity to her own. If it wasn't, she'd point out EVERY little detail that looked "suspicious" to her husband and kid, alluding to how many rats and roaches there probably were, and which of their meals had dropping in them. It got so bad, that they'd lament to us how "it's impossible to take her anywhere" because of her obsession with vermin. She's right, but she also goes overboard. I love to cook, and I have my own OCD so I'm quite cleanly while I do it, but she will find something to harp on ME about when I'm preparing food! I thought it very strange that when I was cooking dinner for her family I would noticed tiny bugs running around EVERY time I opened a drawer to grab a cooking utensil, of which she openly acknowledged and somehow felt unphased over. Apparently THOSE bugs (silverfish or some such) were perfectly harmless to any food preparation... Eh, I still washed those utensils before I used them.

TucoX said:
.. or wasp that stung me
Oh yes. I'm really afraid of angry hornets. If some of those monsters slips behind the insect screen, I'll kill it ruthlessly with my trusty frying pan!

Back