Wasteland 2 screenshot and tidbits

Discussion in 'NMA News and Information' started by WorstUsernameEver, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Mossed Neuronn

Mossed Neuronn First time out of the vault

Mar 6, 2012
    Join the request.

For me, Van Buren still looks better (can't say exactly why, I think overall graphic style with colors and models).

Mad Max RW, yeah, a little bit less colors will not prevent:

And I think that characters proportions should be more like in other isometric games (big guns with big head and torso).

This screenshot looks pretty good even now, but I'm not sure that my eyes can look for such bright image for a long time.

Anyway there are a lot of good games with bright picture (Blizzard for example), and they look great because of good feeling of color and color balance (don't know how to say it in another way; any screenshot looks like a complete painting). So, I think W2 can be bright and good-looking at the same time, like bright colors can be not irritating.

2. Sobboth

Sobboth It Wandered In From the Wastes

Aug 29, 2010
    I'm also happy with this screenshot even if characters look somewhat strange IMO.
    I don't really care about graphics anyway and i hope they will not spend their time to improve them.
    If the camera angle could be a bit more like in Ja 2 or fallout (a bit more accentuated, not necessarily higher ) in order to see more of what's going on furhter it would be perfect.
    We know we will be able to zoom in/out the camera, i still hope we will not have to rotate it.

3. robveers

robveers First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2011
    have anyone notice the shadows? resemblance of the artwork of both wasteland 1 and 2 is great. long shadows...
    but this is probably just a coincidence.

4. Rimoan

Rimoan First time out of the vault

Mar 18, 2010
    Well, it's a nice sun setting screenshot.

5. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    Judging by the length of the shadows on the ground, the sun is setting and that often means a far more orange light than usual. So for that, it works fine. I would be a bit troubled if this color was kept throughout the entire game, but I'm going to assume it doesn't.

And if it does, as Mossed Neuronn suggests, a saturation filter clears that up just fine & is an easy enough mod.

As for the sand itself? It's an early alpha, there will be effects to make it gritty rather than plastic.

6. rattlenik

rattlenik First time out of the vault

Mar 24, 2012
    It looks better than expected. Hope to see in few months screen with marksman on the roof (there can't be not usable ladders) and rest of rangers crouched behind cars or buildings' corners.
    Postprocessing, colors, models - dosen't matter.

7. robveers

robveers First time out of the vault

Oct 30, 2011
    i'm just wondering about a remake of original wasteland in the unity engine...
    like the lucas arts' monkey island's remake.

8. kylix999

kylix999 First time out of the vault

Mar 9, 2006
    I like scorpion, lots of details, in general looks ok.
    Image made by Mossed Neuronn (saturation change) it's direction in which game should go a bit, I like dirt pallete like in fallout, I don't want cartoon game

9. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    I hate to be the one...and I know that gameplay will be very different and probably will make it ok, but I can't help it, the art direction makes me think of another game that I'd rather forget...

:|

10. Sub-Human

Sub-Human -

May 31, 2011
    You aren't the only one, pal. I've never played the game, but this is exactly what it seems like. Other than that, the Scorpitron looks great, although I expect it to be larger (guiding by the official art).

11. zegh8578

zegh8578 Keeper of the trout Orderite

Mar 11, 2012
    I love the strong color of it. Loving what it looks like. Looking foreward to it

12. lisac2k

lisac2k Vault Senior Citizen
    Modder

Oct 26, 2004
    It looks lovely (for alpha).

Completely agree/approve:

13. Tagaziel

Tagaziel Panzerkatze Staff Member Admin Orderite

Dec 10, 2003
    I wasn't really prepared to see NMA members demand washed out/brown graphics as RELAISTIC!!!111!!. The screenshot is fine, as is the saturation. A nice change from the OMGSOBLEAK colour palette and aesthetics prevailing in post-apoc games nowadays.

14. majek

majek First time out of the vault

May 11, 2012
    With decreased saturation it's just looks bland and boring. I prefer the original image.

15. Crni Vuk

Crni Vuk M4A3 Oldfag oTO Orderite

Nov 25, 2008
    at least if you are changing the colours by your self when the game is released (with a mod for example) it will not count as "cheating" - the software in Diablo 3 is somehow checking for it.

Thats a huge progress in my eyes!

16. .Pixote.

.Pixote. Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder

Sep 14, 2009
    It's early days so I'll wait until they have their actual look finalized before I'll comment. When is the game game due to be released - 18 months away? A lot can happen in that time, and I'm sure it will.

17. Alphadrop

Alphadrop A right proper chap.

Aug 21, 2008
    I love the colour around the gas pumps and the lake, the contrast provides a nice refreshing change and it'll look less cartoony with some bump and specular mapping added.

Reminds me more of Tribal Rage than the game that must not be named.

18. Brother None

Brother None This ghoul has seen it all
    Staff Member Admin Orderite

Apr 3, 2003
    Fafavoom

19. donperkan

donperkan Vault Dweller

Aug 4, 2011
    I hope this doesn't mix up with the release schedule.

20. Mad Max RW

Mad Max RW Mildly Dipped

Jan 12, 2004
    Not demanding anything. I would like the option of playing with different filters to change the mood. Different people have different tastes and if the solution is easy why not use it? If it's skipped over somebody can mod it the day after the game is released.