What if X made Fallout Y?

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by Nodder, Oct 28, 2008.

1. B5C

B5C It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 1, 2008
    Bioware didn't make KOTOR2 Obsidian Entertainment did. And guess who runs Obsidian?

Feargus Urquhart
    Darren Monahan
    Chris Avellone
    Chris Jones

2. Nodder

Nodder It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 28, 2008
    Why didn't the original Fallout team just go and make their own development company and make a spiritual successor type sequel game? Worked for a lot of franchises, from Bioshock to Supreme Commander.

3. SuAside

SuAside Testament to the ghoul lifespan
    Admin

May 27, 2004
    many of the core team of FO1 were in Troika... so what you said kinda already happened. sadly, they couldn't find support for another game. it's really a shame.

i hoped at the time that Activision would back them again and that they could buy the Fallout franchise.

4. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    Too much to hope for.

Besides, were they in litigation with Herve for some type of fuck-uppery he did?

5. Nodder

Oct 28, 2008
    Man, Interplay screwed everybody. Where's my FreeSpace 3?

6. Pope Viper

Pope Viper This ghoul has seen it all
    Orderite

Dec 9, 2003
    Didn't you hear? Derek Smart bought it and it's in production!

:lol:

7. Rev. Layle

Rev. Layle A Smooth-Skin

Jul 26, 2005

That's.... that's.... that's totally mean!!!!

A applaud you, sir!
    :clap:

8. The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost Grouchy old man of NMA Moderator

Jan 11, 2004
    Are you sure?
    I think Derek lost it some time ago.

9. Nodder

Oct 28, 2008
    If Derek Smart had the rights it would be in development hell longer than even Duke Nukem Forever has been, I don't think Freespace fans would have anything to worry about FS being desecrated by him anytime soon.

10. ranma203

ranma203 First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008
    Their official excuse for why dnf has taken so long is they were too busy helping other companies make their games

11. Skynet 2.0

Skynet 2.0 It Wandered In From the Wastes

Sep 10, 2008
    What if EA Sports made Fallout 2009? :crazy:

12. Prosper

Prosper Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Aug 25, 2007

How about NCsoft? They have a game called Guild Wars, and they release an entire expansion every year.

13. Gooscar

Gooscar It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 28, 2008
    As far as alternative developers, I'd suggest Gaia Industries or Akella. Gaia because you can see the love and respect they gave the Wing Commander universe and IP by the handbook that came with the game, something they didn't have to do for a XboxLive Arcade game. Akella because those crazy Russians know how to program some brilliant gameplay mechanics.

14. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    id software's take on Fallout 4 would be Doom RPG with today's graphics, and Quake 1 color palette.

15. Hroesvelgr

Hroesvelgr First time out of the vault

Oct 29, 2008
    Heh, that's what I was about to suggest. Seriously though, at least EA doesn't have the franchise rights... yet...

16. Eyenixon

Eyenixon Vault Senior Citizen

Apr 11, 2008
    I can say with confidence that ever since Quake III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which they didn't even develop) id Software had run out of steam.

17. alec

alec White heterosexual male Orderite

May 21, 2003
    Troika (Arcanum).
    Oh shit, they don't exist anymore.

Westwood (Nox).
    Oh shit, they don't exist anymore.

Obsidian.

18. shihonage

shihonage Made in USSR

May 8, 2007
    I assume "Westwood" is a comedy choice, just like my "id software" choice was a joke.

19. Eternal

Eternal Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Nov 4, 2008
    Telltale games? :D

I'm not so sure about how deep the game would be but you gotta admit that TTG is easily one of the top companies for sticking to their source material for their franchise of choice (look at Sam and Max, or Strongbad) They at least got their heart in the right place.

Blizzard wouldn't be TOO bad, their storytelling has always been a bit... sub-par but their gameplay has always been stellar, also they have great fan interaction.

Ummmm.....

Black Isle? ;X

20. Mapex

Mapex It Wandered In From the Wastes

Oct 31, 2008
    The problem with Obsidian, as seen with KOTOR II and NWN 2, is they are too easily pushed around by big name publishers to release well before they are ready. Even if they did have more time, their team is too small to make deadlines that other companies can; you'd have the Age of Conan scenario where they'd probably end up delaying until they ran out of funds and then pushed out a release. Look at how they've been keeping NWN2 patched compared to how BioWare kept patching NWN1.