What if X made Fallout Y?

rcorporon said:
After playing Mass Effect, I'm certain that BioWare blew all their creative juices on KoTOR and KOTOR2.

Bioware didn't make KOTOR2 Obsidian Entertainment did. And guess who runs Obsidian?

Feargus Urquhart
Darren Monahan
Chris Avellone
Chris Jones

Why didn't the original Fallout team just go and make their own development company and make a spiritual successor type sequel game? Worked for a lot of franchises, from Bioshock to Supreme Commander.

Nodder said:
Why didn't the original Fallout team just go and make their own development company and make a spiritual successor type sequel game? Worked for a lot of franchises, from Bioshock to Supreme Commander.
many of the core team of FO1 were in Troika... so what you said kinda already happened. sadly, they couldn't find support for another game. it's really a shame.

i hoped at the time that Activision would back them again and that they could buy the Fallout franchise.

Too much to hope for.

Besides, were they in litigation with Herve for some type of fuck-uppery he did?

If Derek Smart had the rights it would be in development hell longer than even Duke Nukem Forever has been, I don't think Freespace fans would have anything to worry about FS being desecrated by him anytime soon.

Their official excuse for why dnf has taken so long is they were too busy helping other companies make their games

As far as alternative developers, I'd suggest Gaia Industries or Akella. Gaia because you can see the love and respect they gave the Wing Commander universe and IP by the handbook that came with the game, something they didn't have to do for a XboxLive Arcade game. Akella because those crazy Russians know how to program some brilliant gameplay mechanics.

shihonage said:
id software's take on Fallout 4 would be Doom RPG with today's graphics, and Quake 1 color palette.

I can say with confidence that ever since Quake III and Return to Castle Wolfenstein (which they didn't even develop) id Software had run out of steam.

Troika (Arcanum).
Oh shit, they don't exist anymore.

Westwood (Nox).
Oh shit, they don't exist anymore.

Obsidian.

Telltale games? :D

I'm not so sure about how deep the game would be but you gotta admit that TTG is easily one of the top companies for sticking to their source material for their franchise of choice (look at Sam and Max, or Strongbad) They at least got their heart in the right place.

Blizzard wouldn't be TOO bad, their storytelling has always been a bit... sub-par but their gameplay has always been stellar, also they have great fan interaction.

Ummmm.....

Black Isle? ;X

The problem with Obsidian, as seen with KOTOR II and NWN 2, is they are too easily pushed around by big name publishers to release well before they are ready. Even if they did have more time, their team is too small to make deadlines that other companies can; you'd have the Age of Conan scenario where they'd probably end up delaying until they ran out of funds and then pushed out a release. Look at how they've been keeping NWN2 patched compared to how BioWare kept patching NWN1.

Back