What will be the canon ending of New Vegas?

korindabar said:
Part of the problem is you have to separate the wasteland "Brotherhood of Steel" from Western or historical BoS. While they are the brotherhood, they aren't the brotherhood. There's numerous references and dialogue within the game that show they're in direct opposition to the Western BoS. One of the outcast members even talks about how he'll see Lyons "hung" for what he's done.

If people don't like the "pseudo knightly nonsense" (a la President Eden) that's fine, but to say they aren't BoS is to say they were trying to be at all. The difference seems pretty apparent.

Even if they aren't actually BoS, Lyons says they are. If you were one of the outcasts thrown out into the wastes, there's nothing you can do about Lyons continuing to call the group Brotherhood of Steel, even if you're in the right.

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up renaming the group to something else.
Bathesda also tried to stray away from the traditional Brotherhood also in the fact that they made the Outcasts "evil". Thus showing them as the bad guy when they are (though in my opinion, they take the asshole thing a little far) the traditional BoS.

Metaphysician said:
The Dutch Ghost said:
I honestly rather have the Brotherhood become this 'house of research and technological development' as mentioned in the Fallout 1 'good ending' rather than the 'white knights of the wasteland' some seem to cry for.

Rediscovering old technology and develop new ones and selling it and knowledge to settlements and governments.

Accepting new members to be recruited as Knights, Scribes and Paladins for protection of their facilities and to explore the remnants of Pre War factories, laboratories, bases and so on to find new stuff but in general staying out of political struggles unless it threatens their mission.

This. The Brotherhood doesn't need to be white knights of the waste, but they also don't need to randomly turn hidebound, isolationist, and outright self-destructive.

You mean they don't need to be just like the Brotherhood in Fo1 and Fo2?

Independent ending i think . Legion crushed , NCR still pouring into the Mojave and BoS playing along somewhere in there (not the ridiculous "goody goody" or "evil evil" DC BoS...)
Only NCR has enough resources to actually do anything in the Mojave , no matter if they don't get New Vegas . They just need the Dam .

Bethesda cannon :
Boomers found a nuke , Mojave leveled , all inhabitants became VERY BAD ghouls which we have to kill in Fallout "pimp my nuke" 4 .
All children remained intact of course , all alive and kicking . They will serve special nuka-cola achievement pack per kill .

If the next Fallout Game happens after the events of FO:NV, in a region disputed by the NCR and Legion... I think it will be Mr. House's ending, because NCR and Legion would keep at the same level. If one of those factions were a lot more powerful (Hoover Dam + Vegas + maybe, Helios) it would probably make the player help and especific main faction in the other game (which is not something very cool).

But if the factions keep their power at the same levels, it would be more interesting, since you would be able to choose between factions.

But, I think the next Fallout game will happen in another region, untouched by NCR neither by the Legion, with new communities, new vaults, new environments...

I believe some "mixture" of endings would be appropriate. Legion crushed, House dead, Vegas independant, but NCR makes a comeback to the stage...again... Mothership Delta arrives, kills everyone, and a Bishop kid's kid saves the day...after Courier's suicide, of course.

No, seriously, I believe New Vegas would end up like New Reno - under the banner of a two-headed bear...taken the information we have...

I think the canon ending will either be:

Mr.House ruling over New Vegas and the NCR/Legion withdrawing from the region.

Or the NCR killing Mr. House, taking over New Vegas and pushing the Legion back.

Since so much back story and plotline was about Mr.House and the NCR.

Maybe but just maybe , I've been thinking about this .

Benny rules New Vegas ? That's Yes Man independent ending with Benny alive . He isn't that bad when you straighten him up . Only shot you in the head , big deal :P

I think it would be House ending, with NCR still in the Wasteland but respecting their New Vegas Treaty, the region would prosper that way, you can convince Oliver to go without dying or fighting with a high science skill.
Also it could be the Yes Man ending, Yesman turns Skynet, the NCR still trying to push their power into the Mojave, but it still is Anarchic and independent.

I'd say NCR ruling, partnered with the BoS. Great Khans move to Wyoming instead of joining the NCR, Legion left without Caesar or the Legate, Followers joining up with NCR, Goodsprings blooming into something just for the hell of it, Nightkins mostly cured thanks to Lily(Whatever they do with her would be fine, maybe not the no-medicine ending though) and the only Nightkins left are deranged ones that refuse to move away from their Stealth Boy addictions, Kings join with the NCR but proceed to rule Freeside and/or The Strip, Powder Gangers completely destroyed or perhaps some stragglers, Veronica joined with the Followers and greatly improved their technology and ability to help people, ED-E given to the Followers which allowed them to harness more energy from the sun, making growing crops much easier, along with running electronic devices without requiring(If at all) any electricity. Also make it so that they created Eyebots from ED-E's data that help the Followers even more by being a personal helper, able to administer medicine and carry a few things. Or they could act as guards for the Followers. Rhonda and Tabitha having zany adventures in the Wastes, Arcade helps out the Followers instead of going into battle, Primm is one of the hot spots of the town and thanks to Primm Slim, it's one of the safest towns around. Chief Hanlon convinced to stop falsifying records and it allows the Ranger program to do very well.

I can't really think of anything else. Maybe have Helios One powered to still have Archimedes II at the ready if need-be.

There is a problem in your ending.
If Veronica becomes a Follower, BoS kills half of them. NCR doesn't like Followers too, they always get kicked out by them. And NCR is only on cease fire terms with BoS.

I think its difficult to decide what would be the 'main' ending Obsidian had in mind as it depends on any game they would bring out after it.

I myself would like a mix between the NCR and Independent endings.

NCR takes control of most of the Mojave, including Hoover Dam, but fails in taking control of New Vegas and its resources and technology.
Yes Man takes over from Mr House but keeps up the pretense that it is Mr House, and perhaps tries to put some caps back into the Mojave and NCR instead of being a financial drain.

Caesar or his Legate are killed and the Legion is forced to retreat Eastwards, eventually crossing the radioactive no mans lands and entering what is left of Texas, and attacking and destroying most of whatever has built up there.

When the NCR enters Arizona they discover the Legion has been practicing a scorched Earth policy, trying to destroy as much resources and settlements as possible and leaving the former state half empty of people (most have been taken along as slaves), forcing the NCR to slow down their expansion as they need to rebuild infrastructures.

The Great Khans break their treaty with the Legion but head to Wyoming where they establish an empire of their own (perhaps with help from some Followers of the Apocalypse, to help out the region, and to prevent the rise of a Legion like organization).
The Khans are honorable for the most part but hold on to some of their traditions while having progress and change in other parts

The King and Freeside maintain their independence but become a political power of their own in time.
The Kings help the Followers by trying to keep the number of drug users and alcoholics in check, allowing the Followers' outpost in Freeside to survive.

Most of the Powder Gangsters in Nevada are eliminated, with survivors either joining the Khans or heading East into Nevada to fill in the gap of raiders there, continuing to harass the expanding NCR by destroying caravans and newly built railways.

Goodsprings, Primm and Novac do reasonably well despite NCR taxes.
Prime becomes an important trading post, and Goodsprings a stop over between New Vegas, Primm and California.

Not having been able to take over New Vegas NCR instead establishes a settlement around the Hoover Dam (perhaps with part of it built on top of the ruins of Boulder City) which serves as their capitol in the region and the gate into the East.

The Mojave Brotherhood of Steel survives thanks to the diplomatic actions of the Courier, and make a little progress since the peace treaty with the NCR but they continue to fail to restore their strength and glory.
In time some BOS members head East to search for new resources and technology to claim before the NCR does, still believing that that is the only way to rebuild the organization.

The Brotherhood back in the West continues with their War against the NCR until attrition forces the Elders to sign a seize fire and peace treaty with the NCR government.
The NCR makes big demands of the Brotherhood and pretty much isolates them at Lost Hills by establishing camps around its territory.
Brotherhood members start to leave to build up a new life outside the BOS, some even join the NCR but hide their BOS background.
Elders continue to argue amongst each other were they went wrong.

Jacobstown continues to increase as Super Mutants and Nightkin find their way there, though some groups of Super Mutants and Nightkin who remain addicted to Stealthboy use never join up and continue causing trouble in the wasteland.

Camp Searchlight is never reclaimed and remains a dangerous place filled with mutant creatures and lingering radiation.

Qualified OSI scientists eventually figure out the existence of ARCHIMEDES II and how to activate it. (much to the horror of the Followers of the Apocalypse if they knew)
Kimball and the NCR government decide to keep its existence a secret from the public, seeing it as a tool to be used against the Legion or the Brotherhood of Steel should they start their war against the NCR again.

The Dutch Ghost said:
I think its difficult to decide what would be the 'main' ending Obsidian had in mind as it depends on any game they would bring out after it....

I like your end, I just think that regarding Legion it will be more fisable if with the death of Caesar and the Legate, their Empire just crumbled down in a bunch of nation-states, fighting over each other. Also, some of these nation-state having being freed of the rule of Caesar, develop in some different societies and some create new technologies (since medicine and science aren't forbidden anymore).

This is what would slow down the NCR, because they need to make contact with manny different tribes, some advanced, some underdeveloped, wich would require a lot of resources.

Reagarding ARCHIMEDES II, even with OSI reactivating it, it's still glorified artillery. The recharge is too long and there's no more space flights to update the cannon in orbit, so even if a faction different from NCR taked control, the use is very limited.
Just remeber that the weapon was in development state when the war broke out.

[ ]'s

Well I wouldn't immediately shatter the Caesar's Legion as I like the idea of some remnant of them being in a future Fallout game, causing trouble and the player being able to restore them or completely destroy them.

The whole scorched Earth and the Caesar's Legion going on the rampage in Texas was primarily in mind to restore Fallout somewhat to its roots again.

As the player explores this new region he/she finds ruins and devastation everywhere with only few communities, many of its inhabitants having stories how the Legion burned and destroyed so much that had been rebuilt since the War.

I guess some parts of the Legion would rediscover their original tribal identities again and partly return to that but with some signs of their Legion connection here and there.

Blackfoots, Kaibabs and so on, they are no longer Legion but not as tribal as they once were, trying to find a new identity.

Regarding ARCHIMEDES II, it was mostly done as I liked the idea of the NCR having a super weapon, and not make it disappear all of a sudden again.

kaiser Soze wud be dead without currier intervention unlikely if NCR wins but legate Lanius is 50/50 dead/alive which cud mean that legion wud strike east against BOS expedition. Only places I cud not... persuade :wink: to join NCR were Freeside and Novac hardly an obstacle for domination of the Mojave. NCR wud not allow such resource drain as Strip to be uncontrolled. As to Khans weren't they just raider scum in F01 and F02? Since I installed NCR mod allowing me to join NCR fraction and military they're as dead as those one in prequel, and I say good riddance. :twisted: Talk to Sargent Bitterroot about their "savage nobleness". BTW Isn't ironic that good FOA ending is as bugged as in FO1. :lol: Those guys really are out of luck. BOS wud propably survive since they're iconic for entire Fallout setting and they can join their MW or Texan brethren.

Requete said:
kaiser Soze...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great movie, BTW.

The Dutch Ghost said:
...The whole scorched Earth and the Caesar's Legion going on the rampage in Texas was primarily in mind to restore Fallout somewhat to its roots again...

I think NV put the Fallout universe back on track again, with all his flaws and contradictions and I believe this will also have an influence into FO4 when Bethesda begin to developt it.

Let's not forget that NV selled better than FO3 and most reviews are uterelly positive about the game, the story and the setting.
Personally speaking, it only lacks a computer brain implant on the courier for him or her being Yul Brynner's Westworld. :cool: :D

Sure, you can argue that Bethesda will lower the IQ required and turn FO4 into a mindless shooter, but I don't think so, because FNV showed that you can have a game that joins intelligence and also combat in generous doses.

My reserve about FO4 is the writing, I really hope they don't hire 4 year old kids to do the story again.

[ ]'s

Actually I meant the desolate ruined world feel brfritos.

The idea that there was some rebuilding going on, similar as in the Core Region with then the Caesar's Legion coming through and either destroying or nearly wiping out settlements and outposts, leaving only a few strong ones behind with the rest having to rebuild.

After the COurrier is done with the conflict in the Mojave he travels to the Capital Wasteland, and, thanks to the fact that he has survival higher than 50, he teaches the peopel of the wasteland that they don't need a fancy overcomplicated fish tank to purify water, and he just starts giving every single man, woamn and kid two glass pitchers and medical tubbing and teaches them hwo to ignite campfires, as a result of this the DC BOS turn into glorified cops.

Back