Witcher 2

The first time I have read some comments I really hvae been already worried. The things they said really gave me the impression they overextend them self eventually like with "Combat done like never before" or even "the best ever seen". What I have seen from the combat in that video doesnt impress me but it also doesnt look "shit" to speak so. Average.

But I think I will wait till it's really finished with a final judgment.

Crni Vuk said:
its kinda like in real life though. Boobs alone dont make a better game.

what the hell are you talking about? in real life, boobs make everything better.

I'm psyched about The Witcher 2, loved the first game. I just hope they make this one a bit more challenging. and combat in general, while good in the first game, could use some tweaking. can't comment much on what I've seen so far, but I'm open for new ideas. let's just hope they don't make it more streamlined.

aenemic said:
Crni Vuk said:
its kinda like in real life though. Boobs alone dont make a better game.

what the hell are you talking about? in real life, boobs make everything better.
Maybe when you just want fast sex for small money. But are youreally looking in a relationship just for the boobs ?

As said. It needs a bit more then that.

I like the direction they go with Witcher 2, it reminds me of how the book went - much more tense than how the first game felt. Don't really care for streamlining, it will still be a good game.

yes, streamlining is the new god in the RPG buisness. Letz streamline everything till we have games with only 2 choices in the menue "leave game" or "start interactive movie".

I hate how extremely 'shiny' all these new games are. Don't know which technology is responsible for it, but it's too much, IMO.

ss_preview_28582The_Witcher_2_Screenshot_14.jpg.jpg

In some cases it looks OK, but mostly it looks pretty weird (like Singularity, that was shiny as hell and looked awful).

Its bloom the poor man's HDR lighting. Usually a game offers an option to shut bloom off, but that often doesn't improve visuals either as then you'll suddenly have a game with entirely inadequate lighting.

There are probably some instances where bloom has been handled correctly, but more often than not it makes objects look like they themselves emit light rather than whatever light source it supposedly available. I usually associate the effect with Bethesda.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I associate it with a lot of big budget titles I really don't care about. I remember DX:IW having horrible bloom as well, and I think it looked quite quirky at first in Thief 3 as well.

Yeah bloom, that's the one. In most games I prefer to mess around with the settings until the bloom looks less offensive.

It used to be that if I wanted a visually pleasing game I'd just turn everything to max. Nowadays, I find myself tweaking graphics to lower settings, not because my hardware couldn't run it, but because it just doesn't look good anymore :(

Let's hope this glowy, shiny, bloomy trend will pass and be replaced by quality physics and animations instead!

So the Witcher 2's normal release is going to be "premium", a 2-DVD 1-CD release with feelies (map, pamphlet, coin, guide), for the normal retail price. Pretty swank. The CE is swank too but hella expensive outside of Eastern Europe (it is 70 bucks there but 130 bucs for the US).

What's more, it's getting a release through GOG: DRM-free, plus one GOG game free if you pre-order, plus an extra goodie (art book) and immediate access to goodies if you pre-order.

All details here

Press Release said:
Because the price in Euros is almost $16 USD more than the price in dollars, and the price in GBP is roughly $6 more than the price in dollars, GOG.com is making its pricing fair by giving EU purchasers a $16 USD GOG.com store credit and UK customers a $6 USD GOG.com store credit to spend on any game at GOG.com after they finalize their pre-order.
Wow. That's pretty awesome of them. It would be better if the price was just lower, but I'm guessing the publisher would take offense.

Any suggestions as to which of the free games to choose? Never played any of them.

Yes, the bloom. I was just playing Gears of War and thinking how much I hate it. Some games have so much of it that they look freaking blurry, Gears being one of them, others being Metal Gear Solid 4 and Fallout 3.

Brother None said:
So the Witcher 2's normal release is going to be "premium", a 2-DVD 1-CD release with feelies (map, pamphlet, coin, guide), for the normal retail price. Pretty swank.

It's what the regular edition of the first game looked like in Poland as well.

The CE is tempting to me due to the set of dice and cards, as lately I developed a habit of playing both. Perhaps if CE will be considerably more expensive than PE, I'll just buy these two things via some internet auction and go with the PE.

I do believe that I'll go with the GOG version. I recently played through the director's cut of The Witcher, and I thought the game was really great. It's the best new RPG I've played since Bloodlines. I've seen all the talk about making things a bit more accesible in the new game, and this worries me a bit, but I'm not too concerned overall. The writing, characters, ambience, style, and choice & consequence is what made me fall in love with the first game, and I have faith that most of those things should be in tact for number two.

There is a prison break-out trailer I watched on Rock, Paper, Shotgun that showed how tasks could be approached and completed in different ways, and how npc's and the environment could be used to the players advantage. Also, it had conversation between Zoltan Chivay and Triss Merigold that was just damn funny and reminded of the superb combinatoin of dark and serious mixed with humourous style that I liked so much.

PlanHex said:
Any suggestions as to which of the free games to choose? Never played any of them.

They're all good. Gothic II Gold is probably the easiest to recommend, it's probably my favorite actionish-RPG of all time. Good exploration, multiple ways to resolve quests, the action is fluent. Realms of Arkania 1+2 or 3 are also good, some of the best RPGs ever made, but hard to get into unless you're used to Gold Box-era cRPGs.

Brother None said:
Gothic II Gold is probably the easiest to recommend, it's probably my favorite actionish-RPG of all time...
I enjoyed that one too.

I don't know whether it's on the list you're choosing from, but there's a Gothic compilation release out with I, II, and III all in the same package. That's what I bought.

The first one is quite a good game too, but the second one improves on almost everything while making very few things worse. With the exception of a few bright spots the third one is pretty horrible, IMO. Interesting to try it though, just to see all the mistakes they made.

Back