Bethesda E3 Showcase Tonight, Stream Links

That SMG looks terrible. I seriously hope that's not a 10mm SMG replacer, because I think they need to go back to the drawing board on that one. Also lol @ Power Fist, still no dual-wielding Unarmed weapons. Seriously hope there's more variety to the weapons and that's NOT all the weapons in-game.
They also put the bolt-handle on the bolt action rifle on the wrong side, I'm fine with left handed recievers, but not if they didn't do the research on it, which this being bethesda is likely. But yeah, they best have classic weapons in this game, the laser rifle is one, but there had best be others

What I liked

- crafting & customization: The weapon customization feature looks awesome. The ability to scrap materials will actually give a purpose to the random junk lying around. This was the best part of the presentation for me.

- concept art: As is usual with games, the concept art is usually much more striking than the actual game. It conveys both an exact depiction and an abstract thought of what the game could and should be like; It reminds us of our nostalgia for past titles and hints at the untapped and unlimited potential for future titles. The concept art was beautiful as usual.

- pip boy mini games - I like silly things like this.

What I disliked

- breaking the barrier of the myth of the past: Fallout 4 starts your character before the bombs fall. You see the report on the news that the end of the world is happening, and you make a sprint to your local vault, hoping you make it there in time. This breaks with the tradition of the other games in that it provides a real time experience of life before the fall. You get to see pre-war society in all its campy 1950's glory. I believe this to be a disconnect with the soul of the Fallout series. The pre-war past exists as a semi-utopia for the denizens of the post-apocalyptic wasteland, because we don't really know what happened before the bombs fell. All we have to go on are pre-war documents, videos, second-hand knowledge, and a bunch of pre-war paraphernalia. The pre-war era exists as a kind of myth to the people of the wastes - they don't really know what it was like and while some idolize the past and try to emulate it, others try to expunge all vestige of the pre-war era and try to go their own way, and most people of the wasteland don't know or don't care about it because it was so long ago and it should be relegated to distant memory. What Fallout 4 is doing is breaking the barrier between the perceived notions of the past and the cold reality of actually playing it. Mr. Handy, the protagonist, and his old neighborhood all serve as links between the pre-war myth and the cold hard reality of the post-apocalyptic present.

- combat: It does not seem like they improved the combat system at all. It looks exactly the same as in NV. They did not highlight the ability to use scopes/iron sights very much, suggesting that it will be underwhelming, and that the game will once again fall short of being seen as a FPS success.

- lack of new enemies / factions: It's the same old enemies yet again: supermutants, raiders, deathclaws, etc. The only mention of a new faction was the Institute. Other than that, no word on new factions/enemies.

What I absolutely hated

- dialogue: I especially hate the new dialogue wheel. Fallout is not Mass Effect. I don't care one bit about having a voiced protagonist or having the ability to do other stuff while someone is talking (walking away, looking around, shutting a door in someone's face, shooting them in the face) or even the ability to have scripted dialogue sequences, as in two characters walking and talking at the same time or one is hacking a computer during a conversation or lockpicking, or doing whatever.
First point: dialogue wheel a.k.a. Fallout is not Mass Effect. There is nothing "progressive" about the dialogue wheel feature. It is not the future of RPG's. It is a stylistic choice. I would rather see full sentences and paragraphs fully displayed on the screen, and have no doubt about what my character says or does. It gives you full control of your dialogue choices and explicitly shows what you say and do during conversations. With the Mass Effect style dialogue wheel, it cheapens the experience of having a dialogue and it introduces uncertainty with what your character will say or do. Furthermore, it appears to limit your options to four (4) dialogue choices, which reeks of console pandering. Hopefully I'm wrong about the 4-choice limit, but this one irks me to no end.
Second point: ability to disengage dialogue at any point. I can see this being interesting on a few small levels, but on the large RPG level, it stinks. It degrades the entire point of having a conversation with an NPC. It streamlines the game for action junkies who just want to press the required button to turn in the quest or to mark the trigger for the next event, and then they can take off running to do something else. This might be a difference between old-school RPG'ers and ARPG fanatics, so perhaps my point of view is a bit dated, but I don't care. I think it lessens the impact of an actual forced conversation.

Uncertain at this point

- graphics: models, textures, effects: I take it as a given that graphics improve over time with newer generations of systems. Whatever the final product is here, I won't be disappointed if the graphics are underwhelming and I won't be excited if they look amazing. Gameplay is way more important than graphics.

- writing: dialogue, story, descriptions, characterization: Not enough information at this time. I don't expect very much from Bethesda in the writing department but hopefully I'm wrong.

- sound: music, voice acting, effects: Not enough information at this time. I expect the effects to sound good, the music to be okay, and the voices to range from okay to terrible.

- building your own settlements: I don't know how this fits into a Fallout game exactly. I'll wait for more news and opinions about it.

- free mobile game: no opinion on it

Conclusion

I absolutely hate the direction that dialogue seems to be taking, but the rest seems fine. If the art, sound, and general atmosphere are similar to F3/NV then I will be pleased. I expect the writing to have improved over F3 and hope it's closer to the quality of NV. At this point, I'll probably buy the game a year after release after the bugs are fixed and a few good mods come out.

Last word - my opinion is based off the first viewing of the E3 release trailers, and could change as new information surfaces. Especially if it is true that skills are gone - if this is true, then the Fallout series is dead to me.

Last edited:
Skill checks are an important part of Fallout, it's not just about the combat.
Well, that's why I said "as far as combat goes"

Actually, if it's going to go by as perks, then it kinda reminds me of KotOR's feats.

Also, I really wish people would quit saying it's like Mass Effect's dialogue system, it's not. Mass Effect follows a formula, information on the left, nice guy, neutral, or jerkass on the right. This doesn't show any of that set up.

The only thing they really share is the pick a response, then your character talks, which is done from a few games.

Last edited:
How many of you wanna bet that the Melee combat system is still gonna suck Yao Guai Balls? I was hoping for an interesting feature in VATS that would allow me to hit specific parts of the body, but nope, I bet it's just gonna make the target one big blob and say "HIT HERE HURR HURR"

Also: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF VAULT-TEC, get rid of that fucking critical system! It's fucking stupid! Luck doesn't work like that, it just...WHAT?! -nuclear explosion-

Last edited:
I dunno if it's the 10-hour flight but I can't even muster the energy to watch the gameplay only cut-outs. No skills huh? Sims house building? Tower defense? Jetpacks? Mass Effect dialogue? Sounds like Bethesda's Fallout alright.

... Stocks improving melee damage.

So I guess that most likely mean that we're going to just be getting a quick-melee button.

I see no one complained about super mutants, so I'm gonna do that first. The super mutants from the trailer looked pretty fucking small compared to a normal human. Looking back at the past fallouts they were at least 2 or 3 times bigger than a normal human. But bethesda had to fuck them up too. Holy shit, even the behemonth fucking shrinked heheh...

How the hell is that a bad thing? Fallout 3 has some good points, but the supermutant behemoth was not one of them. It was fucking stupid - supermuties should never be that big. That they shrunk it is a great thing.

What the hell's up with the Deathclaw? It's got an unusually big ass hump on it's shoulders to the point I'm surprised it can lift something up and actually move it's neck to look up. Looks like LUCK is going to be the new DUMP stat by the looks of it.

@Fear good point, might be Intelligence now....HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

@Yaz, I don't think it was a great idea, I think it would've been better to just keep them all at the same damn size (big), and different ranking and names depending on how trained/armed the are. Done.

Last edited:
THings I liked:
-Vault boy Icons move, that's a nice design touch.
-Chrafting system to mod Weapons in a rather extensive way.
-Character creation being more sculpting based rather than with bars.
-Layered Armor.
-Animations and Models are better.
-You can burn down the Zeppelin and Flying Ship.

What I disliked:
-The UI looks pretty ugly.
-Such a polished Pipboy means it's gonna be harder to mod a non bulky version in.
-Back to generic enemies. "Raider Veteran", Really? Can't even make up a few gangs with their own names and lore?
-BOS Again, fuck.
-The big one: VOICED PROTAGONIST and Dialogue Wheel.
Okay so yeah, this is not exactly Mass Effect Style Dialogue..... IT'S WORSE. Only four choices and it looks designed for console primarly, like can't consoles scroll through a list? You have analogue sticks if you are ripping Mass Effect then go all the way, why limit it to 4?
Voice protagonist, and it's Troy Baker. Nothing against the dude, but he is everywhre now, and he is even doing his generic Gruff anti hero voice, not even a more interesting one. All the choices are summarized in a word or two so you have no context for what you are saying until yo say it.....
-Boohooo forced sob story: Your wife and kid are deadm FEEEL SADNESS! You have a specific arc I am guessing so probably a rather lineal main quests, probably even a sad ending where you kill yourself.
-NO SKILLS! Oh boy, that's the big one, Fallout is dead like that. No ammount of modding can fix that, and if we get a NV2 they are gonna have to rework A LOT there.

Uncertain:
-Settlement building could be interesting if it works like Wasteland defense and has quests attached to it.
- Pipboy Games, they could use that to implement other functions to the pipboy maybe? As the yare I am indifferent because I won't bother with them but it has the potential for something great.
-Jetpaks and a cutscene to wear the PA? I hope this doesn't mean we are gonna have specific HORDE MODE sequences forced upon in story.

Conclusion:
I started cautiosly pessimistic, now I am just completely hating thsi things guts.

I began to think, if this does go by perks in place of skills, from a roleplaying perspective, this could actually be a good thing.

I mean, look at older Fallout games, you could have a 1 in intelligence and still have a 100 in science. That's... not doable. A drooling idiot like that wouldn't have that skill in science.

These perks could impose certain limitations like that, forcing you to actually think rather carefully about your set up rather than dumping all your free special points into Intelligence so you can get faster skillpoints and most perks.

If they do dialogue checks still, I'm thinking

Speech 1: 5/5 Charisma
Speech 2: 5/7 Charisma -- can't get.

They could take a new Vegas route and you already know if you'd pass or fail. not like the classics, but hey.

[Speech 1/2] Bethesda's quality writing.

But at the same time, I'm trying to think of the positives here. They may scrap some of these checks all together.

I began to think, if this does go by perks in place of skills, from a roleplaying perspective, this could actually be a good thing.

I mean, look at older Fallout games, you could have a 1 in intelligence and still have a 100 in science. That's... not doable. A drooling idiot like that wouldn't have that skill in science.

These perks could impose certain limitations like that, forcing you to actually think rather carefully about your set up rather than dumping all your free special points into Intelligence so you can get faster skillpoints and most perks.

If they do dialogue checks still, I'm thinking

Speech 1: 5/5 Charisma
Speech 2: 5/7 Charisma -- can't get.

They could take a new Vegas route and you already know if you'd pass or fail. not like the classics, but hey.

[Speech 1/2] Bethesda's quality writing.

But at the same time, I'm trying to think of the positives here. They may scrap some of these checks all together.
I agree with you on the roleplaying point. That's not saying I am terribly disappointed in the removal of the classic skill system, but I think I can cope a little better. This may be an ugly baby, but I can't just throw it to the curb.

having 1 in intelligence means that you would sturggle A LOT to get 100 in Science, which makes it more flexible roleplay. Your character is an idiot but through a lot of effort he finally managed to get to 100 science.... at level 20 and putting no point on anything else, and also he can't access most quests so he is just an idiot savant, like one of those kdis that can't even talk but can solve advanced calculus faster than a psychics major.

Also The perk system wouldn't solve that at all, you would just pick the SCIENCE! perk because if there are no skills it means there won't be requirements for perks either.
No, the removal of skills doesn't improve anything in any respect.

having 1 in intelligence means that you would sturggle A LOT to get 100 in Science, which makes it more flexible roleplay.

True, but it was still doable. Especially in Fallout 2 where there was no level cap.

Also The perk system wouldn't solve that at all, you would just pick the SCIENCE! perk because if there are no skills it means there won't be requirements for perks either.
No, the removal of skills doesn't improve anything in any respect.

My example suggested that you would have to have SPECIAL requirement. Speech 1 would need at least 5 in Charisma.

So, science 1 would need at least 5 in intelligence. That saying if you had 1 in intelligence, couldn't get science, crafting would probably even become unavailable for that character.

It was doable in theory, getting to that point would be extremely tough because you had very little skill points and after a bit it takes more than 1 Skill point to boost 1 point of a skill. And it also makes it more Roleplay than removing the option.

And your example means we would be entirely limited by the initial SPECIAL allocation, and seeing Bethesda's track record there is probably gonna be a coupl of stats with very limited and shitty perks. And that LIMITS Roleplay, doesn't expand it.

And your example means we would be entirely limited by the initial SPECIAL allocation, and seeing Bethesda's track record there is probably gonna be a coupl of stats with very limited and shitty perks. And that LIMITS Roleplay, doesn't expand it.
Maybe. But I feel part of roleplay is working within your limitations rather than mastering everything. If Fallout 4 did this way, I feel that it could actually work rather well.

Of course, I'm not so sure they'll even follow my idea. It'll probably be something else entirely.

Still, at the end of the day I feel like I prefer Skills, but I'm trying to see a decent trade off.

Getting to 100 science with 1 intelligence is working withing your limitations, it's extremely hard and you can only do it through toughing it and grinding exp like a motherfucker, you wold probably reach the time limit in FO1 and 2 before you maxed Science with 1 Int.

Within your game limitations, sure. Though I'm know sure how shooting Deathclaws and Centaurs is meant to make your character smarter in science, but regardless.

My point was a drooling idiot who most people would shrug off and make you "shamble off" wouldn't be a scientist. Simple as that.

Though, I guess it'd be possible with an intelligence of 4, I mean, Fantastic did it.

Back