Chris Avellone redeemed

I don't want to hear anyone bitching about news on this dead ass fan forum attempting to stay relevant. Roshambo posted on the news forum about 911 when it happened. Yes. That was NMA front page news. MCA is slightly more relevant.

@Proletären Keep doing what you do.

Well, well, well, how the turntables! I had been frequenting the Discord server for the great game Disco Elysium for months. The vast majority of people there are very left-leaning, progressive. I'm not at odds with that, as I'm quite indifferent to politics, as long as people treat each other with respect. So I had a great time in that server and in fact it had been one of the best times I'd had on Discord, the people there were quite dedicated to gaming and very smart in general. After a while, I restricted my activity in that server to a channel devoted to gaming discussions, cuz that's what I'm mostly interested in.

Every now and then, when I, or someone else, would bring up a discussion about Fallout or some crpg, someone would pop out of nowhere to tell me/us that someone involved in that game had been involved in whatever. Chris Avellone was always a sensitive topic, which is ironic, since one of the main inspirations for Disco Elysium is Planescape and it's even listed in that channel's pinned messages. After being told quite a few times that Chris was a sexual predator, I decided to reply for the first time in months, so I asked whether he had been convicted, and that in the justice system of my country (I went to Law School) we hold the presumption of innocence (in dubio pro reo), and that it felt unfair to me to downright lynch and dehumanize people they weren't even sure were guilty of charges - charges that weren't even processed in the legal system (in my country, that's a legal offense, but apparently in America you can attribute crimes to other people and that's just usual business).

An angry member of the server replied that it was "surreal to read that in the 21st century". Having studied Criminology in Law School, I think it's surreal that we're reverting to a pre-17th century system of values where the presumption of innocence is not valued, and also to a sort of inquistorial justice system where the accused has to prove he's innocent (I mean literally, not as a metaphor or an exaggeration). Both of these being core principles of any modern penal system. Then I was basically shoved off and told to take the discussion to the appropriate channel (general off-topic chat), despite the fact that for months I did nothing but respectfully discuss games there in an otherwise very warm and welcoming environment. Not to mention the fact that I just replied to a comment made for the 10th time.

I'm literally the guy who just wants to play games and discuss them in-depth, and that systematically avoids touchy subjects. I respect everyone's views, however bizarre they might seem to me, but the reality is that, if you are not aligned the Zeitgeist, you should be just quiet or you will be lynched and nothing you say will matter. You will literally be shouted to silence.

I remember the times that I timidly partaked in more general discussions. If I'd post a Spectator article, they wouldn't read it and would just criticize the source. Mind you, the Spectator may be considered conservative, or whatever you might want to call it, but it's a very respectable magazine, the oldest in the world, and it's very cordial, not combative in any way close to what more right-leaning publications usually do. I found it remarkable that they wouldn't even consider the possibility that something reasonable might have been said there. This very skepticism is a central principle of modern science, this what if attitude. This arrogance reminds me of why I quit being a researcher. I guess I will go back to being absolute silent about any polemic subejct, at least I'll avoid situations like this. I can only imagine what Chris went through, considering this unpleasant situation that happened to me when I merely said that people should be more careful if they decide to lynch someone.

Well, well, well, how the turntables! I had been frequenting the Discord server for the great game Disco Elysium for months. The vast majority of people there are very left-leaning, progressive. I'm not at odds with that, as I'm quite indifferent to politics, as long as people treat each other with respect. So I had a great time in that server and in fact it had been one of the best times I'd had on Discord, the people there were quite dedicated to gaming and very smart in general. After a while, I restricted my activity in that server to a channel devoted to gaming discussions, cuz that's what I'm mostly interested in.

Every now and then, when I, or someone else, would bring up a discussion about Fallout or some crpg, someone would pop out of nowhere to tell me/us that someone involved in that game had been involved in whatever. Chris Avellone was always a sensitive topic, which is ironic, since one of the main inspirations for Disco Elysium is Planescape and it's even listed in that channel's pinned messages. After being told quite a few times that Chris was a sexual predator, I decided to reply for the first time in months, so I asked whether he had been convicted, and that in the justice system of my country (I went to Law School) we hold the presumption of innocence (in dubio pro reo), and that it felt unfair to me to downright lynch and dehumanize people they weren't even sure were guilty of charges - charges that weren't even processed in the legal system (in my country, that's a legal offense, but apparently in America you can attribute crimes to other people and that's just usual business).

An angry member of the server replied that it was "surreal to read that in the 21st century". Having studied Criminology in Law School, I think it's surreal that we're reverting to a pre-17th century system of values where the presumption of innocence is not valued, and also to a sort of inquistorial justice system where the accused has to prove he's innocent (I mean literally, not as a metaphor or an exaggeration). Both of these being core principles of any modern penal system. Then I was basically shoved off and told to take the discussion to the appropriate channel (general off-topic chat), despite the fact that for months I did nothing but respectfully discuss games there in an otherwise very warm and welcoming environment. Not to mention the fact that I just replied to a comment made for the 10th time.

I'm literally the guy who just wants to play games and discuss them in-depth, and that systematically avoids touchy subjects. I respect everyone's views, however bizarre they might seem to me, but the reality is that, if you are not aligned the Zeitgeist, you should be just quiet or you will be lynched and nothing you say will matter. You will literally be shouted to silence.

I remember the times that I timidly partaked in more general discussions. If I'd post a Spectator article, they wouldn't read it and would just criticize the source. Mind you, the Spectator may be considered conservative, or whatever you might want to call it, but it's a very respectable magazine, the oldest in the world, and it's very cordial, not combative in any way close to what more right-leaning publications usually do. I found it remarkable that they wouldn't even consider the possibility that something reasonable might have been said there. This very skepticism is a central principle of modern science, this what if attitude. This arrogance reminds me of why I quit being a researcher. I guess I will go back to being absolute silent about any polemic subejct, at least I'll avoid situations like this. I can only imagine what Chris went through, considering this unpleasant situation that happened to me when I merely said that people should be more careful if they decide to lynch someone.

Try posting here more.

Incredible how much mere accusations can destroy a person. There are people who genuinely will take hearsay as the truth and then require an hour long video defense in order to be convinced otherwise.

I don't understand what these twitter mobs are getting so angry about though lol. From what I saw he just send some cringy text messages that he apologized for anyway.

I hope he will enter his redemption arc now. Any ideas what he's working on now?

I think he's still involved with Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous. What he should be doing however is to create a small self contained module for ATOM rpg. That would be the perfect comeback from him. And we would all benefit from receiving a great post-apoc adventure like that.

He will probably write for another shitty AAA third person shooter.

tx1bhc4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The mans a pussy - he should have pulled in the lawyers on day one. I'm ashamed to say this but Justin Bieber has more spunk than Chris Avellone, if people want to destroy you at least go down with a fight. His career is basically over, he might be able to work in the Eastern European block countries if he's lucky. Time for Chris to grow a killer beard and change his name...Rajo Babics sounds cool.

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/slavic_names.php

https://www.insider.com/justin-bieber-defamation-sexual-assault-suing-hurts-women-victims-2020-6

Just another example on why you never apologize. You give the mob an inch they'll take a mile.

Very true, he should have stood up for himself. Sad to see him go down but if he won't defend himself at all the community of fans he has cannot help him.

You know what pisses me off? I had him as a FB friend, then he had to delete his account when this shit happened because of all the accosting from the cancel people.

The mans a pussy - he should have pulled in the lawyers on day one. I'm ashamed to say this but Justin Bieber has more spunk than Chris Avellone, if people want to destroy you at least go down with a fight. His career is basically over, he might be able to work in the Eastern European block countries if he's lucky. Time for Chris to grow a killer beard and change his name...Rajo Babics sounds cool.

https://www.namegenerators.me/slavic-names/354/

https://www.insider.com/justin-bieber-defamation-sexual-assault-suing-hurts-women-victims-2020-6

so true...

I wonder why people who are victims of these accusations in the West don't go to court for public defamation, slander, or something like that. Or courts there abandoned the presumption of innocence too, and will always side with sex-harassment accusations even if there is no evidence of criminally punishable behavior.

Back