Chris Avellone redeemed

People in this thread don't realize that they're using social media right now. Nma is also toxic as fuck.

But it's small and anonymous. No one cares what NMA thinks so there can't be any real harassment campaigns, etc unless you're on here and it's allowed.
Also, Facebook is often the epicenter for harassment, propaganda, surveillance/data gathering and large scale psyche experiments on it's users. This ripples out to small places like here of course, but it is a ripple rather than the impact. People would know who you are because of FB and then take it to someplace like Topix to try and ruin you.
Also, both police and companies will use social media against you in various ways. Social media is a net negative imo.

At least that's how I see it.

I agree social media is a net negative, but NMA isn't that much less worse. You still have group think here and honestly it's one of the most negative places I've seen on the web. Does anyone actually feel better after visiting NMA or do you have that feeling of your baby rage being stoked and exhausted when you leave?

Also if you're talking about politics here that can be traced to you if someone is so inclined.

Last edited:
People in this thread don't realize that they're using social media right now. Nma is also toxic as fuck.
Damn got us. Hass, delete my account and let's all pack it up here.
It's social and it's a medium. Damn. It's just like Facebook.

You still have group think here
We also have a lot of independent thinking here.

People even argue which Fallout is better, without ever reaching a conclusion. Some people say it's FO1, others say FO2, others say FNV.

Then we have people who hate FOT, people who like it and people who don't really have an opinion about it.

Some don't mind FO3, others hate it and a few managed to enjoy it.

Some people don't mind the wackiness of FO2, others absolutely hate it.

Then we have people that say FOT is not canon and others that say it is. Some say FNV is a masterpiece others say it isn't.

Some prefer turn-based combat, others prefer real time. Some prefer trimetric view, others 1st person.

People even have giant threads debating the best faction in FNV, and never reach any agreement. Same with companions in all of the games, there's never a consensus.

Some think it would be ok for Fallout to go into space, others consider that a blasphemy. Some see no problem with having Fallout games outside the USA, while others think that Fallout needs the americana, cold war feeling, etc it always had.

We even have people who like FO4 and an Admin that likes Fallout 76.

And the examples can go on and on to make a massive list.

Really, NMA is full of different opinions on a lot of stuff, and not only about Fallout.

honestly it's one of the most negative places I've seen on the web.
The Codex is way worse. And I mean this. I'm a member on both sites and the Codex is way more of a cesspool than NMA.

Wrong Risewild all of NMA groupthinks because two whole people told someone Fallout 3 sucks! That's groupthink!

Does anyone actually feel better after visiting NMA?

Yes?

Also, not worried about the politics and tracing thing. I will talk about politics on Facebook, or standing in the Pentagon lobby. Maybe especially there. In fact, pretty much everyone I know will talk politics on social media using their real names (even in a country where people have been jailed for doing so).

Last edited:
Maybe you're confusing NMA with The Order? NMA seems pretty well run overall without much shitposting, or negativity, where as the order is like the wild west lol

"NMA is not toxic!!!!" *proceeds to cry like little sarcastic man children.*
Once again... go check the Codex. Post there how they are toxic and sarcastic men children, then you will see real toxicity and men children. :roffle:

"NMA is not toxic!!!!" *proceeds to cry like little sarcastic man children.*
You seem fun. Gotta love the overuse of exclamation points and pent up frustration.

I don’t know whether to offer you a hug, or reiterate that RPGCodex is something that exists.
Also if you're talking about politics here that can be traced to you if someone is so inclined.
I’m an unapologetic Legion supporter in favor of feudalism irl, with the screen name of KingArthur. That I was Arthur Welles of Massachusetts, USA was never in doubt, man.

EDIT: feel free to add me on Facebook, and contribute to the downfall of humanity while looking at my shitty reposted memes.

EDIT EDIT: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100035673284424 for you <3

Last edited:
What is interesting is that I don't think anyone was ever toxic to @Gnarle around here. IIRC he even asked for help with modding Fallout 2 and got the help he needed without any problems. He also never got anyone replying to him in a bad manner or anything.

I really don't know where this attitude came from, since NMA's always treated him nicely. :scratch:

Remember that he's like a saint to us!
I'm already a member of the choir! Haha
Took me awhile to find this, but here is a hand-me-down book my dad gave me from his D&D days in the 90's. Chris did the stick figure drawings in it and since this is the appreciation thread and we're all relieved Chris is not the bad person he was made out to be let's appreciate some of his lesser known works.
The Fantasy Role-Playing Gamer's Bible:
upload_2020-9-16_4-5-15.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-12-0.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-7-22.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-10-14.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-15-5.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-15-54.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-17-37.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-18-14.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-19-2.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-20-11.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-21-4.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-21-47.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-22-19.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-22-46.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-23-14.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-24-46.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-25-27.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-27-38.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-28-12.png

upload_2020-9-16_4-28-47.png
Here's to Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
NMA is not toxic. NMA is more like sanctuary for those of us who actually appreciates Fallout and want to cherish it.

I know that this has take a major tangent, but the thing about ascribing an environment as "emotionally toxic" to the people there is that this is a purely subjective label. I think you could objectively label a school, home, or workplace as toxic depending on how cruel the actions occurring there are - most especially because people HAVE to be there.

However, with an optional community, especially where communication is largely done through posted text, it's pretty tough to tell if things have gone to far because you don't actually see how people are affected. Yet the emotional collateral damage at NMA is probably minimal since topics mostly center on the news, games and other media, etc. - usually not directed at the person.

As for myself, I have found NMA to be an outstanding community composed of people from a variety of backgrounds. Yes, I have been bluntly castigated only twice here - once when I was clearly misinformed on a subject and promptly corrected; the other time was in a clearly labeled "shitposting thread" where the person offhandedly dismissed my claim (in kind of a straw man fashion). Pretty mild considering the reputation this community has as "glittering gems of hatred."

In my opinion this pales in comparison to the reported news stories of personal attacks, bullying campaigns, doxxing, and incitement to genocide that seem to happen a bit too frequently on the oligoliths of social media (Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp, Twitter, Snapchat, and now TikTok). And those are just the misdeeds of legitimate users. If you take into account malicious organizations you can add concerted psychological manipulation, insane amounts of data collection, and more. Yes NMA is social media, but it is such a small fish I don't think any malicious organizations ever infiltrate it except to spam or astroturf the forums on rare occasion.

Anyway I think that there a lot of great and thought provoking people here at NMA. But, yeah, people can be a bit blunt about expressing their opinions, but usually rational and fair. Here's the video that I thought of when this thread turned in this direction.

A bit too rough for my kind of crowd, but they seem to be enjoying themselves so ... NOT TOXIC ?!?

Back