Does anyone remember ANY Fallout 3 characters?

Alesia said:
What? There was only one operational vault in the entirety of Fallout 3 and you were only there for like 30min of playtime. After that the vault went to hell and despite you helping them, you still get exiled. The rest of them make no sense either. Vault 77 (albeit was never actually portryed in game) you mean to tell me Vault Tec spent billions to build this thing for one guy and a box of puppets? 87 with its canon breaking "modified FEV" that makes you wonder why they would make supermutants as part of a social experiment. 108(?) pumping LSD gas into the air. And of course the GARY! vault where somehow all these clones are still alive 200 years after they were created. The only experiment that made minor sense was the one that played white noise all day (92 I think it was). Even 101 was kind of senseless, they already had V13 to test extended isolation, why did they need a second? 101 should have just been a control vault and the fact it never opened been placed on the original overseer and his own agenda being passed down.

They didn't really know what the FEV would do i guess? And about Gary i guess the living ones where created recently? Can't remember if there was something hinting otherwise.

But why would the government send something like FEV into the hands of Vault Tec to begin with? Any way you slice it vault 87 and the origin of east coast super mutants was handled poorly.

Alesia said:
But why would the government send something like FEV into the hands of Vault Tec to begin with? Any way you slice it vault 87 and the origin of east coast super mutants was handled poorly.

Maybe they needed some test subjects? Maybe they didn't care if something bad happened? And yes the mutants where not something i would call great :P

Alesia said:

I think that they did that because they were too lazy to create a story so they used a part of Fallout 1.

Mohamed2001 said:
Alesia said:

I think that they did that because they were too lazy to create a story so they used a part of Fallout 1.

Plus Super Mutants! There need to be Super Mutant antagonists in a Fallout game, otherwise it is not a Fallout game.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Mohamed2001 said:
Alesia said:

Plus Super Mutants! There need to be Super Mutant antagonists in a Fallout game, otherwise it is not a Fallout game.

Every Fallout game has SM's.. So it's nothing new for F3 :wink:

Tagaziel said:
Actually, Vault 101 wasn't about indefinite isolation. Bethesda did a piss-poor job of explaining it, but the point was insight into the Overseer in a permanently closed community.

Ahh, ok. The way it's portrayed in game I always thought it was to test isolation, but this explanation makes a little more sense and helps explain why Alphonse is such an ass.

About Gary, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_108 seems to give no indication that they are at all recent clones. And their numbers? Gary 1? That says to me that clone is the first one. Maybe cloning gave them immortality?

The Vaults in Fallout 3 seem to be more about the coolness factor than anything. Remember this is Bethesda, there's rarely much thought or logic given. The clones were just shoved in there because it was cool, not because it would have been an interesting experiment conducted.

The cloning was completely useless in Vault 108. It looked like they tried to put two different Vaults in one, one with a fight for leadership and one with clones. They probably thought, "Hey, so the Vault Overseer has, like, a genetic predop-, predepe-, he'll get, like, cancer after 40 months. There should be some cloning in there because, you know, like, genetics and stuff. Oh, and the clones can say nothing but their names and are hostile!" -"Like Pokémon, but with human! Brilliant, that's exactly the dark tone Fallout is known for! Let's score some hookers and blow!"

It's a shame because cloning could have been very interesting, a community built from a Vault composed entirely from cloned people. Maybe see the social implications of everyone be the same. Could there be female clones as well? Or could they only breed from cloning themselves with whatever SCIENCE! machine they're using? If there are female clones and they do breed and create a new community what would they be like? GAH! So much potential, wasted for a dumb joke.

Alesia said:
Tagaziel said:
Actually, Vault 101 wasn't about indefinite isolation. Bethesda did a piss-poor job of explaining it, but the point was insight into the Overseer in a permanently closed community.

Ahh, ok. The way it's portrayed in game I always thought it was to test isolation, but this explanation makes a little more sense and helps explain why Alphonse is such an ass.

About Gary, http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_108 seems to give no indication that they are at all recent clones. And their numbers? Gary 1? That says to me that clone is the first one. Maybe cloning gave them immortality?

Forgot about Nr1 etc.. No clue then!

To me, the writing was so poor and the characters so uninteresting I honestly can't remember a single one of them. It's been about five years though since I played "Fallout" 3 that one time. Didn't get very far either before I just had to uninstall it.

Makta said:
They didn't really know what the FEV would do i guess? And about Gary i guess the living ones where created recently? Can't remember if there was something hinting otherwise.
Makta said:
Maybe they needed some test subjects? Maybe they didn't care if something bad happened? And yes the mutants where not something i would call great :P
That's really missing the POINT of the Vault Experiment. The whole idea was that Vault Tec KNEW what they were doing, and it was a sinister and disturbing scientific endeavor for the sake of the Enclave's agenda. Its purpose was one-fold, and one-fold ONLY: to gather data. Vault 13's inhabitants being gathered to test the modified FEV was not part of the Vault Experiment, as Richardson readily admits that they were a coincidentally ideal popular to be tested on, whilst avoiding any moral responsibility to causing harm to prime humans, because "They aren't Enclave". But the rest were PURELY for data. To find out what would happen under certain circumstances. That's why, when faced with the details of the ends of most Vaults and calling them "failures", Richardson smiled it all off and casually stated, "Actually they worked almost exactly how they were supposed to!" The Vault Experiment was a complete success, in the Enclave's eyes, and it was, practically speaking.

What steps would be necessary to repopulating a barren Earth after a nuclear holocaust? While rebuilding civilization, what strain would various groups of colonists be exposed to, and how would they respond to these pressures? With these kinds of questions in mind, all of the ORIGINAL Vaults made sense. But not the FO3 Vaults. 101 was okay, though it was largely redundant, since the difference between it and 13 were "Never open" and "stay isolated for 200 years". But 87? Besides the canon-breaking bullshit, it wouldn't fit in with the Vault Experiment AT ALL. Why would colonists need to work on super-soldier projects? That's what West Tek was for. Vault Tek was only interested in gather behavioral data for the purposes of the Enclave's goals. The Enclave didn't need someone else making weapons for them. They handled that on their own. 92? Same thing. Even if you think that it makes sense just to see what would happen if a group was exposed to constant white noise, the "downfall" story of 92 was still approached wrong, given the canon of the Vault Experiment. Vault 8 (Vault City) made it clear that every Vault's experiments were automated, and it was extreme cases that would require measures such as "passing on a legacy" from one Overseer to the next, as was 13's case. In every other circumstance, the inhabitants were witlessly pit against their circumstances, with the engineering of the Vaults to determine their fates. There wasn't suppose to be any "agents" or "scientists" in the vaults conducting the experiments, EVERYONE was a test subject.

From this perspective, 108 wasn't that bad of an idea, but the ultimate fate of its inhabitants was just handled in a silly, gimmicky way by Bethesda. The idea of a small group of colonists, all with genetic predisposition for fatal illnesses at relatively early ages, yet with access to cloning technology, is actually an interesting experiment, given the questions the Enclave had about their pet project. It's basically the same premise as Saber Marionette, only fatal disease providing the catalyst for the cloning measures, instead of a lack of women. 106 was also not a terrible idea, and some players observed that Vault 106 was kind of a creepy homage to Serenity with its "Chemically induced psychopaths that would become the Raiders roaming topside" concept, and had that been intentional, it would have been thematically wonderful, as well as fall into the proper portrayal of the Vault Experiment. But again, despite a good idea, it was portrayed sloppily.

Long story short, there is no "maybe they..." answer for why the Vaults depicted in FO3 were absurd. There is no canonical explanation. It was just shitty world-building design.

I've been playing the game recently so I remember quite a few.

James, Amata, The Overseer, Paul Hannon, Old Lady Palmer, Butch DeLoria, Jonas, Beatrice, Officer Gomez, Wally Mack, Mr. Brotch, Andy, Freddie Gomez, Stanley, Ellen DeLoria, Officer Kendall, Stevie Mack, Officer Wolfe, Officer Park, Security Chief Hannon, Lucas Simms, Jericho, Moira Brown, Harden Simms, Gob, Mr. Burke, Andy Stahl, Doctor Church, Colin Moriarty, Deputy Weld, Nathan, Wadsworth, Walter, Nova, Doc Hoff, Crazy Wolfgang, Bryan Wilkis (I think that's how you spell it), Agatha, Doctor Li, Anna Holt, Colonel Autumn, President Eden, Fawkes, Dogmeat, Dr. Zimmer, President Dave, Mayor McCready, Biwwy, Sammy Squirrel, Knick Knack, Knock Knock, Princess, Dukov, Brick, Reilly, Harkness, Flak, Shrapnel, Seagrave Holmes, Abraham Washington, Sydney, Sarah Lyons, Elder Lyons, Star Paladin Cross, Three Dog, Margaret, Catherine (in front of the Point Lookout boat), Catherine (the character's mother), Nadine, Paladin Tristan, Scribe Rothchild, Scribe Peabody, Lucy West, Pinkerton, Initiate Reddin, Sticky.

I remember much more but I won't add them, this post has enough characters anyways. ;)

Remembering a name is not the same as remembering the character to whom it belongs to. Case in point, just about anybody here can read all of those names, and not know who they apply to. Okay, Dukov was that suspension-of-disbelief-shatteringly Russian playboy that was tied to a single quest about killing off some mercs and stealing their keys. But who the fuck is Officer Park? I dunno. Okay, Lucy West was the chick found in Moriarty's Saloon who asks you to send a letter to her family in Arefu. But Nadine?

On the flip side, I can remember just about every character that gets air time in Gundam Wing, despite not having seen it in over 10 years, though not their names. And no, the fact that EVERY name is a number in some language is not part of how I'm able to remember the characters. The solid story with a cohesive plot and memorable twists are what keeps the details forever stamped in my brain. That's just one example, but there are tons more shows where I could say the same.

Ok, who do I actually remember now...

Tenpenny, for being a Brit in post apocalyptic America. Also super racist. (how did he get there?!)

Dukov, for being a perverted, foul mouthed ruskie in post apocalyptic America (same question as Tenpenny. I actually like him by the way. :P)

Victoria Watts, for being an annoying stalker lady.

Lucas Simms, because he is the first person you can tro-I mean meet. He also is a great source for an early chinese assault rifle.

Moira, because annoying.

Three Dog, because annoying

Autumn, because villain.

Eden, because AMERICA!

Burke, because he's totally not a shady motherfucker.

Dave, because ego and possible incest.

Harold, because freaky treeman

Amata, because supposed love interest.

Butch, because he's a dick.

Dad, because plot.

Charon, because he has a cool name. That's it, just his name.

So about 7/15 of the people I remember are because they annoy me somehow, 1 is because he's named after a greek mythological figure that I like, 3 are connected to the plot and unavoidable, 1 gives you a powerful weapon early game, 1 is a freak and 1 is somewhat likable, though only because I am somewhat amused by him.

Back