E3

The Dutch Ghost said:
Probably will still hate the controls though.

Explain. I think Halo series have the best FPS controls on a console.

By the way, is anyone excited about SWTOR at all? If you ask me, quite honestly, I think Bioware's time would have been better spent making an actual full length CGI movie that looks like the trailers. That's one animated Star Wars that could be sextastic.

Yes, the controls are surprisingly flexible. Still though, there's nothing like a mouse for FPS games, and even the best gamepad controls will not compare for someone who's used to PC FPS.

Ausdoerrt said:
Yes, the controls are surprisingly flexible. Still though, there's nothing like a mouse for FPS games, and even the best gamepad controls will not compare for someone who's used to PC FPS.

This is exactly my problem, yes the controls work on a joypad but I am used to a keyboard and mouse.

I have been able to play FPS games on a console but its just not as fluid as on a PC.

maximaz said:
By the way, is anyone excited about SWTOR at all? If you ask me, quite honestly, I think Bioware's time would have been better spent making an actual full length CGI movie that looks like the trailers. That's one animated Star Wars that could be sextastic.

Not really. I mean, it looks ok but there is one really big problem with BioWare. They think it's cool to launch a game with only basic mmo systems. Not enough fluff, not enough different content(They said even Pazaak and other minigames won't be there at launch. WTF Bioware :/) might kill this game if their endgame stuff won't be really amazing.
I don't believe "Story" will play any big role here. Maybe for few first months. But after that? People will rush stories and demand more endgame content, fluff and systems like customizable housing.
They should wake up, because we're not longer in 2004, where people accepted how little content in WoW was. Eventually it became very big, so did their playerbase.
Now we're in 2011 and it's really easy to just look at other mainstream big productions.
AoC? Failure.
Aion? Failure.
Warhammer Online(Another BIG and great license)? Failure.
Tera Online? Failure.

You can name there many other titles. Most of them failed because of not impressive content, copied over and over again from the past. When WoW copied things from EQ and other oldies it was ok, because people weren't really fed with it. But now? They DEMAND something new, something groundbreaking and cool.
I don't really know if Star Wars setting can help in that matter. Still - More fluffy stuff and new game systems definitely could change it into a hit.

I'm not an expert, so I'll just wait to see how it's gonna roll on modern MMO scene.

tl;dr

Excited? No. Interested? Yes.

The Dutch Ghost said:
Ausdoerrt said:

This is exactly my problem, yes the controls work on a joypad but I am used to a keyboard and mouse.

I have been able to play FPS games on a console but its just not as fluid as on a PC.

Oh. I thought you were singling out Halo specifically for its' controls, not referring to console FPS controls in general. I agree, then.

edit: By the way:

maximaz said:

I was but they seem to mucking it up on all fronts. As someone who likes the Old Republic stuff Bioware retconning it all to look like and play like the movies (clone troopers and stormtroopers fighting Boba Fetts) really annoys me.
Same thing they did in SWG post NGE where you play a customisable Han Solo rather than a smuggler.

Also heard the combat is kinda crap and binary choices in missions ,whether you do a good or bad thing, was already done in Tabula Rasa.

Seriously, who the hell calls a controller a gamepad or joypad? There is literally nothing pad shaped about any console controllers (other than the Wii U).

That said, you can internet and get an adapter thing that'll let you play with a KB/Mouse on your XBOX or PS3 if you wanna bitch about controls.

Speaking of TOR, I don't know why they bother making fancy ass cinematic trailers. You'll never get to do any of that stuff. Ever.

And the reason they are changing shit is because it's what people want. People fucking love Bobba Fett. Dude had like 17 lines between Empire and Jedi and he's one of the most popular characters in the series.

To be fair he got a lot more attention in the novells though.

But actually all I have read and see about the SW mmo leaves me completely unimpressed. Even a German review which played it once said "it is to similar to WoW in its concept". Not that I give much for reviews and I am not a fan of MMOs. But still. Not to mention their engine looks ugly as shit. The animations and all ... for 2005 ok. But now ? Com on ...

I might also be a bit biased beacuse I expected a PROPER Kotor 3. Not this bastard MMO.

Seriously, who the hell calls a controller a gamepad or joypad? There is literally nothing pad shaped about any console controllers (other than the Wii U).

Cause that's what they're called brah. Go complain to the people who made the name :P "Controller" refers to any game input system, not just gamepads. E.g., joysticks are controllers, too.

That said, you can internet and get an adapter thing that'll let you play with a KB/Mouse on your XBOX or PS3 if you wanna bitch about controls.

I can only imagine how incredibly wobbly and unresponsive mouse controls would feel in console games that were not created with mouse support. That's assuming you can get it to work properly in the first place.

He can call it that all the day. But he has to show some actions to his words. Only time will tell if it is the truth. Actually the only thing that makes Todds games on the PC superior to the console version is the modding community because they fix many of the things which should have been done by Bethesda.

I would be already glad if game developers would at least keep the controls of the Pc in mind when making their games ...

There's nothing padshaped about the controllers though so the name does not fit at all. Additionally that's how they are referred to in it's own documentation.

I've never used one of the mouse/KB adapters for the consoles, but they people buy enough of them for the businesses to operate it so they must work well enough. I'm still disappointed by the fact that the console versions of New Vegas/etc could have access to the dev console; both consoles have native support for USB keyboards so there is no reason for them to have blocked access to it; never mind that you have 'soft' keyboard that is used regularly (to enter your name or send messages).

Crni Vuk said:
He can call it that all the day. But he has to show some actions to his words.

He's not talking about Bethesda's side of it, he's talking about the availability of mods for TES titles making the PC version "the superior one". But thanks for the uninformed comment.

Mods which will be supposed to fix THEIR fuck-ups.
Classy.
Oh right, there's always the loli/rape/dickgirls/furry mods.
:ok:

I want to try The Old Republic, but I never Day One purchase an mmo. They only actually get good a few months after the release date.

Also, I can see it now. The streets will be littered with Jedi, Sith, and Bounty Hunters. I'll most likely be the only Smuggler for miles. I guess it's my fault for having Han be my favorite character.

This "Populous style" game looks amazing:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdAssf3kJA[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfKQCAxizrA[/youtube]

I'm always down for god games. This one looks kinda like what Black and White was suppose to be years ago. Still enjoyed Black and White to an extent but constantly baby sitting that damn critter annoyed me.

Back