Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see something totally awesome and new as well which was never done before. Could it fitt the TES setting ? Hell who cares! Dieing emperors causing the apocalypse of tamriel doesnt fitt to the Elder Scrolls either but the rule of cool says loore should never be in your way ;)

nazis-vs-stormtroopers-demotivational-poster-1235605353.jpg

grayx said:
could be used to be far more original then "dragonborn kill the dragon" or "he eventually become friend with dragon and defeat some another dragon"

As of right now, there is no indication that the main idea will be either of those. It may be worse, and it's very likely to be, but we don't know that yet. It could be that the player is the freaking dragon and the main boss is a dude named Dovahkiin.

Sure, dragons are nothing original and I'd rather it be a giant acid-spraying pigeon but I can't think of a game, besides Baldur's Gate II, where dragons were well done and established so one can't really expect something specific when he finds that a game is to include them because at this point their inclusion could mean anything. Thus, it doesn't entirely qualify as "done to death".

Also, amnesia has been done to death in games but I bet you're glad Planescape: Torment went with it anyway. The idea may not be new but what they did with it was sure as hell not generic.

Now, I'm not saying that Bethesda is going to pull a Black Isle on us and do to dragons what Planescape did to amnesia and I can bet my left nut that they won't. In fact, I'm pretty sure that this game is not going to suck any less than Oblivion, in which case I could still enjoy it for what it is, but it's only because this is Bethesda, not because of the teaser or promise of dragons. I say, wait for more info.

Also, amnesia has been done to death in games but I bet you're glad Planescape: Torment went with it anyway.

There's a difference b/w amnesia as a reasonable plot device and amnesia as a cop-out. Planescape isn't alone in doing memory-loss right (off top of my mind, NWN2:MOTB handled it pretty well, too), but really, there has to be something REALLY interesting behind such a plot to make it reasonable.

I can't think of a game, besides Baldur's Gate II, where dragons were well done and established

Divinity series, esp. the original Divine Divinity. Divinity 2 a bit less so, because the game lets you sort of be one (though technically, you are not).

Well, I don't want to trash this game before there's even a screenshot and some information, so I won't do it.
Nevertheless, my expectations aren't too high. The recent trend in RPGs points toward more casual gaming experiences and I have no reason to believe that Bethesda would do something different.
Although I doubt that Skyim will be much of an RPG, I hope that the writing and design will be better than Oblivion or FO3.
I don't expect a "true" cRPG in the style of Daggerfall, but maybe we'll get a good action-adventure?
Let's hope so.

Ausdoerrt said:
There's a difference b/w amnesia as a reasonable plot device and amnesia as a cop-out. Planescape isn't alone in doing memory-loss right (off top of my mind, NWN2:MOTB handled it pretty well, too), but really, there has to be something REALLY interesting behind such a plot to make it reasonable.

My point stands though, even if it's nothing new, a game element can end up being something remarkable. I think it's especially the case when it hasn't already been done well too often.

well all I hope for is that you dont wake up as a weak prisoner again ...

well technicaly you dont have been a prisoner when you arrived in morrowind. But you have spend time in jail before it.

maximaz said:
I say, wait for more info.
Oh, wait we will.

Of course, nobody can deny you right to have your cautious pessimism/optimism. You have right to be reasonable.8-) And you are shielded with their NDA and the lack of info, so you are a tough sell. However, for me, it's more like: go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES! I think I know that company well enough. And this is what I know so far:

- It's all about money (not a brainer, but still).
- contrary to journalist drones, their main selling points are not original gameplay and quality of the plot, but instead, static shiny scenery as in screensavers, "god-mode killing is only fun that we need", Construction Set, poor user's mods, and doll-like NPCs in which kids are falling in love. The Oblivion is not a game in normal sense - it's more of a reason to learn to mod and fix things. Who think this will change?
- Their communication with fans are next to non-existent (please don't mention "meet the devs" idiocity), they have proclamations in disguise of blogs, their forum is a kindergarden (if you ever went to one you'll know what I mean) ruled by infantile and rude people who mods pink houses and sexy gowns (calling that a RPGish), it's a pissing contest in which you can't discuss reasonably because billion flies knows better what is good for an IP (it's ordinary thing in forums, but this one is a special gem), etc, etc...
- they don't have an inkling of balls to be original nor do they want to be. And why would they? Flies wants shit, so they are glad to give them a lot of it...

There are at least 10 points more but I better stop, I'm becoming more and more angrier as I force myself to remember all that stuff....

So, yeah, we'll wait and see.

Cimmerian Nights said:
warsaw said:
Cimmerian Nights said:
Play the demo then decide, until then, you have no right to complain about TES.
Beth don't do demos.
You got my joke. :clap:
:dance:

Also, just in case anybody forgot how big Todd Howard thinks his balls are:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PW9_t2BNe0[/youtube]

"Legendary Game Designer" -- God damn are the VGAs embarrassing or what?

It would have been cool if these guys'd show up in the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnG6EHh1N4[/youtube]

Glad to see some more bland shit hit the market. Were in for another treat.

And this time i am sure they learned from past mistakes and wont model radiant AI after the typical beth-employee. Level scaling will be adjusted to -10/player level. Horse armor will be in from the very start, if nothing else. Noodies and furries will be included too, to save the modders all the hassle. Since “Sacrifice” was the big theme in FO3 I wonder what it will be this time around. Stupidity?

Award winning game-designer… oblivion: goty… Fallout3: goty… cool shit… Award for best writing… oblivion2: goty, best game eva… dragons… huge beards… Awards, gotys, medals, handshakes from shareholders…

I think there is something wrong with my brain. Going to get a lobotomy right now, so I can join the toddler in his wonderful world. :crazy:

Ugh, must… not… puke

Honestly, I think I will pass on this one. Tell me how it was in a couple years.

Edit: :shock: cool postcount old mcviper

I'm still waiting for actual info until I start ranting like the fellows above me. I still have some hope for TES.

Also...

Why in the FUCK do we not have any info on Dead Money?! God damn, give me a trailer or some shit so I can argue about that instead of sitting around and wondering whether I should buy it or not.

grayx said:
- It's all about money (not a brainer, but still).
- contrary to journalist drones, their main selling points are not original gameplay and quality of the plot, but instead, static shiny scenery as in screensavers, "god-mode killing is only fun that we need", Construction Set, poor user's mods, and doll-like NPCs in which kids are falling in love. The Oblivion is not a game in normal sense - it's more of a reason to learn to mod and fix things. Who think this will change?
- Their communication with fans are next to non-existent (please don't mention "meet the devs" idiocity), they have proclamations in disguise of blogs, their forum is a kindergarden (if you ever went to one you'll know what I mean) ruled by infantile and rude people who mods pink houses and sexy gowns (calling that a RPGish), it's a pissing contest in which you can't discuss reasonably because billion flies knows better what is good for an IP (it's ordinary thing in forums, but this one is a special gem), etc, etc...
- they don't have an inkling of balls to be original nor do they want to be. And why would they? Flies wants shit, so they are glad to give them a lot of it...

I agree with all of these points. Most likely TES V will reflect them. I'm just happy that I don't have a confirmation on that yet. I remain hopeful that I will be pleasantly surprised because I know that I will play the game anyway since I actually enjoyed Oblivion, even though it was shit, compared to Morrowind or most good RPG's.

PS. To be fair though, I enjoyed Two Worlds as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back