Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

sea said:
Unfortunately that would have also killed the YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE thing, if just about anyone could have potentially been Dragonborn, but I'll take a balanced game over a dumbass game-ruining plot any day.

Considering hardly anyone out of the main story line cares or even notices you're a dragonborn that's a small price to pay.

sea said:
I think Bleak Falls Barrow was a mistake. Cool dungeon, fun to play, but putting it next to Riverwood and then making it critical to progressing the plot (namely, starting the dragon stuff) was just stupid. When you consider most players will visit it for that Golden Claw quest, and end up completing the quest objective well in advance, you have absolutely no gatekeepers to make sure the player is of X level. Later on you have the Trolls at High Hrothgar but by that point the player has already been killing dragons for potentially hours, and the damage has already been done.

This is what we call conflict of story and gameplay. You're the Dragonborn, so you have to be awesome and amazing, and capable of killing dragons to absorb their souls... but if you got your ass kicked at a low level by them, that would kind of contradict the entire premise in the first place. Meanwhile you still need challenge in the game, hence Bandit Marauders who can strip your flesh in seconds flat, while the "lethal" and earth-shattering shots of a dragon barely scratch you.

Setting it up as an acquired ability rather than an inborn one would have been smarter and would have fit in better with the Elder Scrolls theme of constantly growing in ability over time, the "zero to hero" story. Unfortunately that would have also killed the YOU ARE THE CHOSEN ONE thing, if just about anyone could have potentially been Dragonborn, but I'll take a balanced game over a dumbass game-ruining plot any day.

This.

I'm not a terribly huge fan of the PC as the "Chosen One" trope when it comes to games of this form. In a sense I think Oblivion was a bit better in that regard in that the PC is just your ordinary guy/gal who gets placed in extraordinary circumstances and wins out by skill and willpower.

That and by starting that questline you condemn yourself to dragons appearing at incredibly inopportune times and having to wade through the Winterhold College courtyard that's waist-high in dragon corpses. I guess I'm saying that one of the first mods I'm getting is a delayed main quest.

people are awesome. Thankefully already now there are a few mods out which make Skyrim "enjoyable". Like a more balanced version of Destruction magic. How people actually played as pure mage before ...

He forgot the most important, though (:P): If first person is so immersive, why the game is forcing a switch to third person in moments like riding a horse, being a werewolf or when you do various finisher moves? Seems to me as if Bethesda isn't so sure about that anymore... or it was just hollow talk to begin with? :>

Besides this, I can pretty much agree with the writer.

Skyrims amazingly awesome 1.2 patch that fixes an awesome 13 things breaks more stuff than it fixes, and some of stuff is the mouse and keyboard mapping it was meant to fix. One or two users reporting that they can no longer look up or down.
It also breaks all spell resistance including racial and equipment resistances.

Also dragons now fly backwards.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyweqMqT6Q&feature=related[/youtube]

Ah Beth... yea.

What a ridiculous mess....

Boy am I glad I learned my lesson with oblivion. If i'm gonna ever spend money on this crap it will be a year from now when its in the bargain bin. They really should release the CS soon, obviously they aren't capable of fixing the game themselves. Let some modders do it, how humiliating.

Breaking dragonfights eh? Somewhat amusing, since the dragon combat and balance was already by far the worst part of this game.

The game as a whole is ok though.

well dragon fights stoped being "awesome" after mud-craps started to become Dovahcraps

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tAVx9VJIc[/youtube]

Now it's on PC. And it also breaks dragon fights, as well as messing with mouse sensivity, breaking resistances (basically setting all of them to 0, you can hurt fire atronachs with fire spells for instance) and potentially deleting saves. I knew Beth's QA department was never the best, but come on...

Well, at least my Steam has auto-updates turned off. Looks like I will just stop playing for a while.

Never buy on release day, never play on patch day. Prevents high blood pressure, grey hairs and an urge to kick yourself or someone else in the head:).

Playing New Vegas on patch day was great, all kinds of stuff was fixed, weapons were balanced and small things were added and no massive bugs were added.
Oh happy days.

Shame Steam downloaded Skyrims latest patch, bad Steam.

Dragons Moonwalking? what's next, another Land of the Giant Red Exclamation marks DLC? well it seems, playing Skyrim has to go on a hiatus.
New Vegas never did this to me.

fallout_3_the_pitt.jpg

Ah, good times.

OMG! That brings back memories! I used to be a modder for MW, and those things were like everywhere when you test things out or check for conflicts. lol, nostalgia. :lol:

Crni Vuk said:
well dragon fights stoped being "awesome" after mud-craps started to become Dovahcraps

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tAVx9VJIc[/youtube]

How is it possible a mud crab is tougher than a dragon - also it seems to hit the character from about 5 feet away WTF...why not walk up to its target and hit it directly. :roll:

Those Beth's games. Generated content with lack of details, I call it a mass production.

Back